PDA

View Full Version : Hey folks - Help keep this board around - Newspaper New Plan: Copyright Suits

darin
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Newspaper Chain’s New Business Plan: Copyright Suits

Steve Gibson has a plan to save the media world’s financial crisis — and it’s not the iPad.

Borrowing a page from patent trolls, the CEO of fledgling Las Vegas-based Righthaven has begun buying out the copyrights to newspaper content for the sole purpose of suing blogs and websites that re-post those articles without permission. And he says he’s making money.

“We believe it’s the best solution out there,” Gibson says. “Media companies’ assets are very much their copyrights. These companies need to understand and appreciate that those assets have value more than merely the present advertising revenues.”

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/#ixzz0uhjLNB00

DragonStryk72
07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, I see that newspaper going under quickly. I mean in techincal, what you just post would be something this Gibson asshole would sue you over.

No, this is gonna be the death of this guy's clients. As soon as the internet community finds out that one of these companies is hiring this guy, what will happen? We'll stop going to said paper in question, and many will get angry enough if they're local to stop picking up the actual newspaper as well.

darin
07-25-2010, 11:35 AM
No - what I posted falls under 'fair use' rules. :)

DragonStryk72
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
No - what I posted falls under 'fair use' rules. :)

Most articles that are used under that are used like we use them are counted under the "fair use" rules

darin
07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
...that's what I'm saying. There are a lot of folk - a number of them - who post entire articles, and whatnot...that's the point of this. If the shoe fits...

07-25-2010, 08:43 PM
In other words, you want us to not violate copyright laws.

Works for me:)

07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh and if someone does sue, let me know...

Sweetchuck
07-26-2010, 05:50 PM
No problem, Perry Mason.

There's a certain amount of objectivity in our court system, I have a hunch that this guy won't win (or isn't winning) claims for long considering he's creating his own losses.

Maybe something to keep your eye on, but a cry wolf issue none the less IMO.