PDA

View Full Version : Latest version of vBulletin

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
The forum has been upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin, 4.0.5

There are many, many additions to this version, but it will be a work in progress. Almost all of the "add-ons" I have added over the past few years will not work with this version - we will need to re-add what we can as we go along.

If you miss something that used to be here - tell me in this thread.
If something isn't working, tell me here.
If you need help with anything, ask here.

This is new to me as well and we will all learn together, and I will do whatever necessary to add/remove things to our community to make everyone happy.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Post "Thank You" hack has been re-installed and is at the lower left of each members post

PostmodernProphet
07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I like the new look...very professional....

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Well..it's FUBAR for me.
Boxes everywhere below this reply box.
Smilies so small you can barely see them.
Additional Options box below that.
Topic Review box below that.
Posting Pref box last.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Well..it's FUBAR for me.
Posting Pref box last.

I know you hate these questions, but it's the only way I can address your issues - as I don't see all the problems you have. I do see the smilies as very small, but regular size if I click "more" to see all of them.

If you choose "reply", you'll just get a regular box to reply with. You'll need to click "go advanced" if you want all the fancy stuff.

What browser are you using? What version? Do you know what resolution you are viewing your screen with?

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
If you choose "reply", you'll just get a regular box to reply with. You'll need to click "go advanced" if you want all the fancy stuff.

** You can DOUBLE CLICK on reply, or quote with reply, and it will go straight to the normal reply page... **

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
** You can DOUBLE CLICK on reply, or quote with reply, and it will go straight to the normal reply page... **

Better yet, I disabled quick reply and now it'll let you reply normally.

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Better yet, I disabled quick reply and now it'll let you reply normally.

It's the same using quote as it is reply for me. Teenie
I don't have the advanced button anymore nor the box that used to let you play with the background.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
It's the same using quote as it is reply for me. Teenie
I don't have the advanced button anymore nor the box that used to let you play with the background.

Reply should give you an empty box to write in, "reply with quote" should obviously include the person you wish to quote. If I click on either reply option, I get the normal reply box with all the fancy WYSIWYG options above it and the smilies, albeit small, to the right of the box.

Can you answer the other questions so I can test a few things?

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I increased the size of the box containing the smilies, which in turn allows the smilies themselves to be bigger. Let me know if that portion helps, or if they need to be decreased or increased more.

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I increased the size of the box containing the smilies, which in turn allows the smilies themselves to be bigger. Let me know if that portion helps, or if they need to be decreased or increased more.

A bit better...but
This guy :dance: has his legs cut off.
:cheers2:,:cool:,:poke:,:beer:,:2up: are still very small and this one :420: is almost invisible.

I have no problem with resolution or firefox anywhere on the net except here when "changes" are made. :poke:

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
I have no problem with resolution or firefox anywhere on the net except here when "changes" are made. :poke:

The problem for me is that everything shows up OK on my end. I'll await feedback from everyone else to see if others see similar issues and what is different that is causing your issues.

Thus far I've tested on Firefox, IE, Opera and had my Dad test on his Mac. I've tested from 640x480 all the way up to 1280x720. No issues on this end other than the smilies were too small for me as well. The way they display them in this version is within an "invisible box", and it automatically tries to make all of them the same size for display purposes. If you click on "more" you will see every one and their correct sizes. I'll continue to look into the smilie box to see if we can make it better.

Monkeybone
07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
so far I like it.... very very bright though

Monkeybone
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I like how it bring up more that what was just talked about in the threads, but i don't like how it takes it off when you reply to it

Gaffer
07-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I won't complain until Jim is done tweaking and adjusting. Then I'll determine if there is really something to complain about. So far looks good. Just have to get use to where things are. Will be interesting to see what colors and background gets added. It is a bit bright at this time.

namvet
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
most Vbulletin forums are going to this version. myself i like the old version. what the hell. it progress.

namvet
07-26-2010, 12:32 PM
i get 2 words the same but cannot edit

darin
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Using IE - Half the scrollable page is blank. Make sense? I see the last reply, but the scroll bar is only half way down, on the right.

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Well..it's FUBAR for me.
Posting Pref box last.

Now, now us seasoned citizens take time to get used to change. I just came back and found this! :laugh2:

When I came on I found the sign in screen. I signed on, sent me right back to sign in screen, after thanking me for signing on. Had to scroll down to find new posts.

07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I like the format somewhat, but the colors are a bit bright IMHO.

namvet
07-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Using IE - Half the scrollable page is blank. Make sense? I see the last reply, but the scroll bar is only half way down, on the right.

looks fine to me except for double word. you mean i have to change browsers for this ????

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
so far I like it.... very very bright though

I won't complain until Jim is done tweaking and adjusting. Then I'll determine if there is really something to complain about. So far looks good. Just have to get use to where things are. Will be interesting to see what colors and background gets added. It is a bit bright at this time.

I will adjust the colors later today or tomorrow morning.

Does anyone want to reccommend what areas should be what colors?

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 01:22 PM
i get 2 words the same but cannot edit

Can you explain this better?

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm unsure what you mean. I'm logged in using IE right now but don't see any glaring issues. Can you do a screenshot?

Anyone else too, it would be very helpful if we can get screenshots so I can fix everything quicker.

namvet
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Can you explain this better?

"most Vbulletin forums are going to this version. myself i like the old version. what the hell. it progress."

2 progress. but when i edit only one

** Edited by jimnyc **

namvet
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM

how about skin adjust????

namvet
07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
"most Vbulletin forums are going to this version. myself i like the old version. what the hell. it progress. progress"

might just be a software bug. its not a big issue right now.

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
My 2 cents, I like that it's not so dark and dreary.

I really liked that newest messages were on top, I don't like the 'envelopes' with colors indicating 'new posts'. Too many old, old posts in line on opening page for searching forums.

I like the thumbs up, is there a thumbs down? :thumb:

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 01:31 PM
BTW, did I say, 'Thank you!' for all the changes? Sure that cost a bit. If I get a job soon, I'll hit your paypal.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
"most Vbulletin forums are going to this version. myself i like the old version. what the hell. it progress."

** Edited by jimnyc **

I edited the post as myself as you can see. It showed me the word "progress" 2x and I removed one.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 01:35 PM
how about skin adjust????

I will be looking around for new styles/skins available for this version, but sometimes they change a lot more about the appearance than just border colors. I'm sure I can find something that almost everyone will be happy with.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM

I really liked that newest messages were on top, I don't like the 'envelopes' with colors indicating 'new posts'. Too many old, old posts in line on opening page for searching forums.

I'm confused again! What messages were on top that aren't there now? There should be the latest 10 posts in the "stats" section as well as an icon to click on called "new posts". Maybe you can explain better for me?

BTW, did I say, 'Thank you!' for all the changes? Sure that cost a bit. If I get a job soon, I'll hit your paypal.

$175, but the old version will ultimately go away and not be supported, so I had little choice. Plus, all the additions/hacks/styles that are being released are all for the new version.

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM

I like the reds and neutrals, just got inundated with blues I think. Some sites let you choose the skin, I like mocha, but no surprise there. :coffee:

namvet
07-26-2010, 01:43 PM

picky picky :laugh:

namvet
07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I edited the post as myself as you can see. It showed me the word "progress" 2x and I removed one.

no biggie thanks :thumb:

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
How do you get a screen shot?

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm confused again! What messages were on top that aren't there now? There should be the latest 10 posts in the "stats" section as well as an icon to click on called "new posts". Maybe you can explain better for me?

$175, but the old version will ultimately go away and not be supported, so I had little choice. Plus, all the additions/hacks/styles that are being released are all for the new version.

When I go into 'new posts' I'm finding all forums listed, those with 'new posts' being a different color. So, I see all the empty ones, some with no posts from months back, while scrolling through to find those with activity.

The good point is that might give some idea of which forums to eliminate or consolidate?

darin
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM
See how I can scroll down double the length of the actual page?

namvet
07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
How do you get a screen shot?

on your keyboard upper right side. 3 tabs.

click "print scr" once.

i go to run type in mspaint click ok. when it opens up click edit at top then paste. there's the screen shot. then click "save as" and send it where you want. i send it to my docs/mypics. then use http://tinypic.com/ to bring into the forum. there may be easier ways but it works fast for me.

you can use photobucket or image shack

namvet
07-26-2010, 02:04 PM
See how I can scroll down double the length of the actual page?

did that to me to. just once

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
When I go into 'new posts' I'm finding all forums listed, those with 'new posts' being a different color. So, I see all the empty ones, some with no posts from months back, while scrolling through to find those with activity.

The good point is that might give some idea of which forums to eliminate or consolidate?

Wow, seems this has been fixed. Now when I click 'new posts' I get just those I've not read. As I read them, they go away. Nice. :2up:

darin
07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
that jumping/scrolling issue I had is not happening in google chrome.

Sweetchuck
07-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, that explains why I had to re-log in.

Don't updates suck? Change for the sake of change.

Thanks to the Admin & staff for their hard work and suffering.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Re-added the "members who have visited today" back to the bottom of the board by the statistics

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm having problems again with new posts. Again getting all forums and having to pick through.

Kathianne
07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I hadn't read any of these, yet they were not highlighted as unread:
http://www.debatepolicy.com/search.php?searchid=246

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

That's what I get when I click your link.
Why did we need this change again?

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 08:32 PM
That's what I get when I click your link.
Why did we need this change again?

Because software upgrades are not something we can ignore. They release these for security reasons and to keep up with the changes in browsers. Of course, there are always hiccups when upgrading a board with so many add-ons, posts and threads.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm having problems again with new posts. Again getting all forums and having to pick through.

I'm looking into this but might not have an answer immediately. But keep an eye on this for me - up at the top of the board, just beneath the welcome area, it should tell you there how many unread posts by you there are. It should be that number I guess + whatever posts you did read, when you click new posts. Let me know the differences you see.

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Because software upgrades are not something we can ignore. They release these for security reasons and to keep up with the changes in browsers. Of course, there are always hiccups when upgrading a board with so many add-ons, posts and threads.

I know, Jim. I was pokin fun while pointing out a problem with a link.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I know, Jim. I was pokin fun while pointing out a problem with a link.

Trust me, this is frustrating for me too. I would have loved to have been able to upgrade on the side and convert everyone over when the hiccups were cleared up, but unfortunately you can't start messing with the forum until after the upgrade has been completed. Give it a week or so and we should have all the kinks ironed out, new options installed and a color scheme easier on all of our eyes.

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Trust me, this is frustrating for me too. I would have loved to have been able to upgrade on the side and convert everyone over when the hiccups were cleared up, but unfortunately you can't start messing with the forum until after the upgrade has been completed. Give it a week or so and we should have all the kinks ironed out, new options installed and a color scheme easier on all of our eyes.

I'm sure it will all work out.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Ok, I just installed a new "style" with what I think is a better color scheme. Temporarily, I just put the text for the name of the site, but will probably put a small image in its place if we stay with this one.

Also, at the very bottom of the board on the left side you will see a drop down box where you can choose between this one and the default style. Might be useful to some for comparison reasons.

Anyway, give me some more feedback!

Mr. P
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Ok, I just installed a new "style" with what I think is a better color scheme. Temporarily, I just put the text for the name of the site, but will probably put a small image in its place if we stay with this one.

Also, at the very bottom of the board on the left side you will see a drop down box where you can choose between this one and the default style. Might be useful to some for comparison reasons.

Anyway, give me some more feedback! That FEELS SO MUCH BETTER !!! (insert smiley here) if you can see them! They all went tiny when you made that change, Jim.

jimnyc
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
That FEELS SO MUCH BETTER !!! (insert smiley here) if you can see them! They all went tiny when you made that change, Jim.

Ok, I think I made this one the same as I changed the default one to.

SassyLady
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I like it ... Just think it'll take some time to learn my way around things, but I hope you can customize it enough that it doesn't look like all the other boards....

Thanks for staying on top of things Jim.

PostmodernProphet
07-27-2010, 06:47 AM
ughh......can I have options as soon as possible, this eloquent blue one really sucks.....

namvet
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM

Anyway, give me some more feedback!

I like the blue border. not as much glaring white. thanks.

BoogyMan
07-27-2010, 08:05 AM
It is looking pretty spiffy if you ask me. :thumb:

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 08:08 AM
I like it ... Just think it'll take some time to learn my way around things, but I hope you can customize it enough that it doesn't look like all the other boards....

Thanks for staying on top of things Jim.

I'd like to keep a clean, smooth and non-cluttered appearance. Just softer colors for easy on the eyes and reading. I'd just like to make sure the logo is identifiable to this site.

ughh......can I have options as soon as possible, this eloquent blue one really sucks.....

You suck! LOL just kidding!

Temporarily - click on "forum actions" on the top navbar and choose "general settings". At the bottom of that page you will see an option to choose a default style. You can use the first style if you don't like this one. I'm going to add more if I find good ones and give you a choice to your default, and make the overall default the one we like best. But it was $175 for vB software, and believe it or not it was another $29 for this blue style. I'll be adding free styles too but they generally aren't very great.

Everyone else, keep the feedback coming so I can make changes!!

Mr. P
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I think the line that separates the post from the sig line needs to be darker or maybe thicker...it's hard to see.

Click "New Posts" check the last column on the right "Form".
On my screen the form name is cut in half horizontally.
I can see the top 1/2 of the letters but the bottom 1/2 is not visible. It's no big deal..just mentioning it. The rest of the screen is fine.

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I think the line that separates the post from the sig line needs to be darker or maybe thicker...it's hard to see.

Click "New Posts" check the last column on the right "Form".
On my screen the form name is cut in half horizontally.
I can see the top 1/2 of the letters but the bottom 1/2 is not visible. It's no big deal..just mentioning it. The rest of the screen is fine.

How's that, any better?

Mr. P
07-27-2010, 12:39 PM
How's that, any better?

Much...:thumb:

PostmodernProphet
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
it's strange....every time I log in I change to the default style.....yet every time I come back it's "eloquent blue" again......

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
it's strange....every time I log in I change to the default style.....yet every time I come back it's "eloquent blue" again......

Are you just changing it at the bottom of the board - or are you changing it to your default style as I explained earlier in the thread? If you just change it at the bottom, it will revert back to default when you next log in.

namvet
07-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Are you just changing it at the bottom of the board - or are you changing it to your default style as I explained earlier in the thread? If you just change it at the bottom, it will revert back to default when you next log in.

not for me. after i changed it at the bottom it stays blue

KarlMarx
07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I like the new format so far. Only one thing that I'd like to see changed. Earlier today, you had a picture of an eagle with a flag with the words "Debate Policy"...It was much cleaner looking, very elegant and, IMO, it looked much better than the "debate policy" graphic that you have now.

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I like the new format so far. Only one thing that I'd like to see changed. Earlier today, you had a picture of an eagle with a flag with the words "Debate Policy"...It was much cleaner looking, very elegant and, IMO, it looked much better than the "debate policy" graphic that you have now.

Ok, put it back, you like this one better? When I'm done, this time I won't be making a graphic to cover the entire header. It'll just be a "professional" looking small design where the eagle and name are now. I suck with graphics so I'll have to get someone to make me a small logo to fit the community and color scheme.

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I added a new option to allow members to quickly find their own posts and threads. As noted in the picture below, there is a new dropdown option at the top of the board called "my posts", click it and it'll give you 2 options to find your own stuff.

http://i30.tinypic.com/vdzf4.jpg

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I've been reading and reading about this new version to learn all I can. One notable thing that just popped up is about Internet Explorer 6 - which this version has issues with since it's an outdated browser. If you are using version 6 and having issues - go to this link and update your browser:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Conanthebudgetarian
07-27-2010, 09:37 PM
New here.....and um, yeah, I don't like the colors. Too bright on the screen and different from other forums. Your gig though. Found ya on google, so whatev, who ever owns the board can do what they want.

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 09:41 PM
New here.....and um, yeah, I don't like the colors. Too bright on the screen and different from other forums. Your gig though. Found ya on google, so whatev, who ever owns the board can do what they want.

Welcome aboard!

Appreciate your input... But I also asked for feedback regarding what colors and changes everyone would want to see... Lots of input about what needs to be fixed/installed but not a lot of feedback about what everyone would like to see. It's a community, not just my site, so the final version should be made by all of us.

Conanthebudgetarian
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Welcome aboard!

Appreciate your input... But I also asked for feedback regarding what colors and changes everyone would want to see... Lots of input about what needs to be fixed/installed but not a lot of feedback about what everyone would like to see. It's a community, not just my site, so the final version should be made by all of us.

I have been to some other boards and their colors seem to blend better. I don't know, I have a good graphics card and 24 inch monitor, but it still washes out. What was your version before this? Seems the people here like the previous version. Do you need me to take care of them? I am the Governator of Kalifornia.

jimnyc
07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I have been to some other boards and their colors seem to blend better. I don't know, I have a good graphics card and 24 inch monitor, but it still washes out. What was your version before this? Seems the people here like the previous version. Do you need me to take care of them? I am the Governator of Kalifornia.

We were on 3.8 prior to the upgrade. Unfortunately, the new version won't accept the previously installed "styles", so we're working off of the default as one version, and this blue style. I'm going to work with this one... better logo and all of the colors can be adjusted to what the masses want.

And of course everyone likes the old version, change can be confusing. But once the appearance is settled I am confident everyone will like this version better with all of its enhancements.

Conanthebudgetarian
07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
We were on 3.8 prior to the upgrade. Unfortunately, the new version won't accept the previously installed "styles", so we're working off of the default as one version, and this blue style. I'm going to work with this one... better logo and all of the colors can be adjusted to what the masses want.

And of course everyone likes the old version, change can be confusing. But once the appearance is settled I am confident everyone will like this version better with all of its enhancements.

I like enhancements. Especially on my female my co-stars.

Good luck trying to please everyone. And to be honest, it is annoying. But you can only work with what you have. My best description would be, turn your bright up on your monitor and then your contrast all the way. Bright and weird like that.

Best to you.

KarlMarx
07-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Ok, put it back, you like this one better? When I'm done, this time I won't be making a graphic to cover the entire header. It'll just be a "professional" looking small design where the eagle and name are now. I suck with graphics so I'll have to get someone to make me a small logo to fit the community and color scheme.

Yes, Jim, thanks, I think this one is much better.

Abbey Marie
07-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I came back from vacation and din't recognize the place!
I am on Google (Chrome)

I haven't used many features yet, so don't know about functionality, but here is my initial input:

1. The whiteness of the background is very bright, yet the text is kind of washed-out. I guess the contrast we used to have isn't there. It's hard on my eyes.

2. The icons are smaller and some look completely different. Are there some new ones now?

3. The log-in section is way at the top border of the screen and tiny, so it's actually a bit of a pain to log in.

4. The blue parts look nice and are easy on the eyes.

jimnyc
07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I came back from vacation and din't recognize the place!
I am on Google (Chrome)

I haven't used many features yet, so don't know about functionality, but here is my initial input:

1. The whiteness of the background is very bright, yet the text is kind of washed-out. I guess the contrast we used to have isn't there. It's hard on my eyes.

Do you mean the white background behind the posts, when typing, or both? What color would you recommend?

2. The icons are smaller and some look completely different. Are there some new ones now?

Some are smaller, many different, and many things in different places.

3. The log-in section is way at the top border of the screen and tiny, so it's actually a bit of a pain to log in.

Can you take a screenshot for me to see exactly what you see?

4. The blue parts look nice and are easy on the eyes.

Assuming you are talking about the borders, header and footer backgrounds?

jimnyc
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Assuming we stick with this style...

I'm going to have a small logo made to replace the eagle and name at the top.

Would you guys/gals like to recommend different colors for certain areas, and we can try them out as we go along?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Assuming we stick with this style...

I'm going to have a small logo made to replace the eagle and name at the top.

Would you guys/gals like to recommend different colors for certain areas, and we can try them out as we go along?

Just in case you missed my preference of neutrals, I'll repeat myself. :laugh2:

Then again, I don't mind white, as long as it's not blank space. Seems to put me in the minority here.

I'm not finding a way to read old reputation comments, though I do receive notification when received. Sometimes though I like to go back and send thank yous.

jimnyc
07-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Then again, I don't mind white, as long as it's not blank space. Seems to put me in the minority here.

I'm not finding a way to read old reputation comments, though I do receive notification when received. Sometimes though I like to go back and send thank yous.

Click on "settings" on the top right of the board. I just installed software that should there show both reputation received and given.

As for the colors, you are leaving too much up to me!! We need to be specific or I would go and make everything my favorite color of black! We have the border colors, top colors of the board, footer area, background of all the posts, divider between posts and forums... So collectively we need to come up with a specific colors to change specific areas until we find a good mix.

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Click on "settings" on the top right of the board. I just installed software that should there show both reputation received and given.

As for the colors, you are leaving too much up to me!! We need to be specific or I would go and make everything my favorite color of black! We have the border colors, top colors of the board, footer area, background of all the posts, divider between posts and forums... So collectively we need to come up with a specific colors to change specific areas until we find a good mix.

Ok, I like beige/light brown, quiet reds, greens. I don't know my choices, but those are my preferences. As I said, from what I'm reading, more like the dark than light.

Mr. P
07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
This blue one is just fine by me. Please leave it as an option.

hjmick
07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
WTF? I was only gone three days...

Sweetchuck
07-28-2010, 11:30 PM
What happened to the member of the month?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 11:33 PM
What happened to the member of the month?

July isn't over yet!

Mr. P
07-28-2010, 11:37 PM
July isn't over yet!

Right..but the current MOTH is not shown. Is it?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Right..but the current MOTH is not shown. Is it?

Oh, you guys are right! It is in announcements though. Well there's a lot to get done and only one guy doing it.

Sweetchuck
07-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Oh, you guys are right! It is in announcements though. Well there's a lot to get done and only one guy doing it.

Goddammit, get on the ball!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

SassyLady
07-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Hey Jim....I like the header for the default, but I like the color contrast of the eloquent blue.....but the header is kinda blah...so, if you could put the header that is with the default with the background of the eloquent, I think it would look great.

The "dark vision" one is too hard on these aging eyes, but I could see where it would appeal to some. However, I could not read anything in your sig except the name "Good Will Hunting" which was red.

You're getting there.......:clap::clap:

darin
07-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Search? Doesn't seem to be working right. I was searching for 'dinnerjacket' because a year ago a user said that's what she called the leader of Iran. Now, sweetchuck used that term. Anywho - the search didn't pull TODAY's useage of the word even.

jimnyc
07-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Search? Doesn't seem to be working right. I was searching for 'dinnerjacket' because a year ago a user said that's what she called the leader of Iran. Now, sweetchuck used that term. Anywho - the search didn't pull TODAY's useage of the word even.

Odd, I just did a search on that term and it found the post you just made! Can you point to a post that has that word spelled identically, but not showing up in search?

jimnyc
07-29-2010, 07:24 AM
I am going to re-index the search counters now. It may take awhile, but lets try again when it's completed...

jimnyc
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Hey Jim....I like the header for the default, but I like the color contrast of the eloquent blue.....but the header is kinda blah...so, if you could put the header that is with the default with the background of the eloquent, I think it would look great.

The "dark vision" one is too hard on these aging eyes, but I could see where it would appeal to some. However, I could not read anything in your sig except the name "Good Will Hunting" which was red.

You're getting there.......:clap::clap:

I was just toying with the black one, didn't even think anyone would notice it there! I figured while I work on one master style, I could also install a bunch of others as well, and members can always choose any they wish as their default. I just thought the master style would turn out the best since everyone would pick and choose what they want till we get a final product.

darin
07-29-2010, 08:17 AM
wouldn't it find partial uses?

I searched for 'dinnerjacket' - although I'madinnerjacket was used.

jimnyc
07-29-2010, 08:19 AM
wouldn't it find partial uses?

I searched for 'dinnerjacket' - although I'madinnerjacket was used.

Most likely with the version change (and database change), a lot of the counters and indexes need to be rebuilt. The search index rebuild should be about another hour or so and hopefully that will fix this issue.

jimnyc
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
I placed another "logo" up there with this blue style. Thoughts? It's the same as the old one, just smaller and had to re-do the lettering after I re-sized it.

About another hour left in the search index rebuild.

Trinity
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I've been reading and reading about this new version to learn all I can. One notable thing that just popped up is about Internet Explorer 6 - which this version has issues with since it's an outdated browser. If you are using version 6 and having issues - go to this link and update your browser:

LOL....hmmmm seems most things don't run on IE6, hence most of my headaches at work.....Please please please upgrade!!!:coffee:

jimnyc
07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Darin, rebuilding of the search index is completed. Let me know of any threads that have text in it that isn't found upon a search. Unfortunately, it's hard to troubleshoot such an issue without seeing the original thread and it's text, which if we knew exactly where it was we probably wouldn't need to search! LOL

Trinity
07-29-2010, 10:26 AM

Neutral colors are awesome especially when blended well.....and empty white space I'm not even going to go there. :coffee:

Trinity
07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok, I like beige/light brown, quiet reds, greens. I don't know my choices, but those are my preferences. As I said, from what I'm reading, more like the dark than light.

Good color choices although I would recommend not using greens and reds only because people that are color blind can not see the reds and greens.

namvet
07-29-2010, 11:04 AM

the only thing i like about IE6 was i could hyperlink. I now have IE7 and that feature is gone. i have to put the entire web link in.

I tried IE8 but it kept logging me off. constantly had to log back on

Abbey Marie
07-29-2010, 05:13 PM
IE and FB games do not mix. Just sayin...

Mr. P
07-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I didn't know anyone still used IE

namvet
07-29-2010, 06:32 PM
IE and FB games do not mix. Just sayin...

FB???

actually there's a sports forum i can still hyperlink on.

namvet
07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I didn't know anyone still used IE

guilty as hell

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I put up a bunch of new "status icons", which are the stars and eagles throughout the board. First off, let me know your thoughts on these changes and if you think they're a good fit for the forum.

Secondly, if you see any status icon images that are incorrect or missing, please let me know.

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I put up a bunch of new "status icons", which are the stars and eagles throughout the board. First off, let me know your thoughts on these changes and if you think they're a good fit for the forum.

Secondly, if you see any status icon images that are incorrect or missing, please let me know.

ill check

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Are we talking about when I click on forums, I see stars by the forum name?

Jim, am I missing somewhere that we can find 'today's posts?' If I click, 'new posts' after clearing, I get a screen that says, "Posts over the past 24 hours", but used to find that under 'quick links.'

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Are we talking about when I click on forums, I see stars by the forum name?

Yes, next to the forum names, and then again next to the posts.

Jim, am I missing somewhere that we can find 'today's posts?' If I click, 'new posts' after clearing, I get a screen that says, "Posts over the past 24 hours", but used to find that under 'quick links.'

If you "cleared", then the forum knows what you have "read" and will only display "new" posts - which would then be none since you marked them as read. Clicking on the link provided will give you a list of the past 24hrs worth of posts, in reverse order from when they were posted, so that would technically be "today's posts" and you can work your way back from there.

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
are we talking about when i click on forums, i see stars by the forum name?

Jim, am i missing somewhere that we can find 'today's posts?' if i click, 'new posts' after clearing, i get a screen that says, "posts over the past 24 hours", but used to find that under 'quick links.'

im missing a few things to

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Yes, next to the forum names, and then again next to the posts.

If you "cleared", then the forum knows what you have "read" and will only display "new" posts - which would then be none since you marked them as read. Clicking on the link provided will give you a list of the past 24hrs worth of posts, in reverse order from when they were posted, so that would technically be "today's posts" and you can work your way back from there.

I waited for your posts, then went to forums. I can see the difference between the one with the new post and the rest, star is outlined in RED. On 'new posts' page, still have the envelopes, not stars.

I like how it clears 'read posts'.

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
im missing a few things to

What are you missing?

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
a lot of these problems disappear when i log off then back on

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
What are you missing?

the tool bar at the top right was gone this morning. but a log off and log on brought them back.

im still working on hyperlinking

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I waited for your posts, then went to forums. I can see the difference between the one with the new post and the rest, star is outlined in RED. On 'new posts' page, still have the envelopes, not stars.

I like how it clears 'read posts'.

a lot of these problems disappear when i log off then back on

Whenever your browser comes across images like these, they put them into "cache", and the next time you go to the same page it will load the images locally instead of downloading them again. If you see the envelopes still, click "refresh" to reload the page from the 'net instead of cache. I did that on the "new posts" page and see the new icons. This will likely apply to other pages for some depending on the cache.

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
the tool bar at the top right was gone this morning. but a log off and log on brought them back.

im still working on hyperlinking

What's the issue with hyperlinking?

Let me link this to YAHOO (http://www.yahoo.com)

I highlighted the word "YAHOO" with my mouse, then clicked on the "insert link" icon above and input the address. Or are you trying to do something else?

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Whenever your browser comes across images like these, they put them into "cache", and the next time you go to the same page it will load the images locally instead of downloading them again. If you see the envelopes still, click "refresh" to reload the page from the 'net instead of cache. I did that on the "new posts" page and see the new icons. This will likely apply to other pages for some depending on the cache.

Yep, that did it. I've got 'eagles' on my '24 hour posts' page.

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Yep, that did it. I've got 'eagles' on my '24 hour posts' page.

Yep. They may not be the best, but these icons aren't as bright as the others and go with our "theme". I find it a little difficult to differentiate between some, but had the same issues with the default set.

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:40 AM

I highlighted the word "YAHOO" with my mouse, then clicked on the "insert link" icon above and input the address. Or are you trying to do something else?

THAT'S what im try to do

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM

where is the "insert link" icon ????

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 10:54 AM

First tool bar above quote box. Icon is earth with link symbol.

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Circled in red in below image:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2iuaz2d.jpg

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Circled in red in below image:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2iuaz2d.jpg

duh yeah i remember that one. im using the standard editor. ill pm ya if your on awhile

namvet
07-30-2010, 10:57 AM
First tool bar above quote box. Icon is earth with link symbol.

don't i feel like a dumbass. :laugh:

namvet
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM

when i do it you see:
http://www.yahoo.com/

namvet
07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
jim: let me know if you got the PM with screen shots ok???

little issue with the title bar there :thumb:

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Sorry, all, I changed back to the old icons. While I loved the appearance of the new ones, they were too confusing for my liking!

jimnyc
07-30-2010, 08:05 PM
jim: let me know if you got the PM with screen shots ok???

little issue with the title bar there :thumb:

Are you using AOL's browser? Try minimizing their software and using Firefox or IE straight away.

namvet
07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Are you using AOL's browser? Try minimizing their software and using Firefox or IE straight away.

IE straight. road runner. same problem

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 08:52 AM
IE straight. road runner. same problem

Next time that happens, can you refresh the screen and see if it displays it correctly? Not all browsers are alike and sometimes it'll fail to render the screen 100% properly.

crin63
07-31-2010, 09:57 AM
For me this change over makes it near impossible for me to use. My brain is overloaded by something (which I cant put my finger on) and its like one big blur of information looking at the new posts. I get stressed just looking at it.

I don't know if its the colors, the text, the style or what but my brain seems to recoil at something. I only frequent 2 forums and both are vBulletin so it looks a whole lot like my days on forums is over.

Oh well, brain injuries do weird things!

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
For me this change over makes it near impossible for me to use. My brain is overloaded by something (which I cant put my finger on) and its like one big blur of information looking at the new posts. I get stressed just looking at it.

I don't know if its the colors, the text, the style or what but my brain seems to recoil at something. I only frequent 2 forums and both are vBulletin so it looks a whole lot like my days on forums is over.

Oh well, brain injuries do weird things!

I know, it's the single biggest change vB has made over the years with all of their new versions. If you can think of anything specific that you think will make the appearance better, say so here, you know I'll work with you guys to ease the transition.

namvet
07-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I know, it's the single biggest change vB has made over the years with all of their new versions. If you can think of anything specific that you think will make the appearance better, say so here, you know I'll work with you guys to ease the transition.

im using the blue skin which is great for me. yesterday it was all blue with white text. really cool. but now its gone back to a blue border with white in the center. still fine with me. i don't like bright any color.

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
I changed the background color of where you read the posts to a light grey. Let me know if that is better, or if you would want to try another color.

Mr. P
07-31-2010, 12:45 PM
I changed the background color of where you read the posts to a light grey. Let me know if that is better, or if you would want to try another color.

Easier to read than on the white, so far anyway.

namvet
07-31-2010, 12:56 PM
looking good

Abbey Marie
07-31-2010, 02:20 PM
I prefer the light gray. Thanks. :thumb:

Abbey Marie
07-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Sorry, all, I changed back to the old icons. While I loved the appearance of the new ones, they were too confusing for my liking!

:clap:

Abbey Marie
07-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Jim, I think in a given post, the quoted material, the actual new post, and the sig line stuff is too much alike in color, or too much the same in font size, or perhaps just too close together. That may be what Crin means...
I would try more separation between the three parts of a post, by changing any of those three things if you can. I suppose we can individually put more space between the three, but human nature is lazy...

I LOVE the gray.

namvet
07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
I installed Firefox as default browser, which im using now, and i still have same problem i had in post 127. was hoping hyperlink problem maybe solved. didn't happen.

as much as I hate to say it everything runs great with this new V bulletin version with IE6. or any version. go figure. ill stay with IE7

what is so great about fire fox that has everyone's hair on fire???

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Jim, I think in a given post, the quoted material, the actual new post, and the sig line stuff is too much alike in color, or too much the same in font size, or perhaps just too close together. That may be what Crin means...
I would try more separation between the three parts of a post, by changing any of those three things if you can. I suppose we can individually put more space between the three, but human nature is lazy...

I LOVE the gray.

I've changed the shade of color on the bar that shows the member and all their info. Now I have to figure out a way to make the signature area the same color, and that should break everything apart nicely.

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I installed Firefox as default browser, which im using now, and i still have same problem i had in post 127. was hoping hyperlink problem maybe solved. didn't happen.

as much as I hate to say it everything runs great with this new V bulletin version with IE6. or any version. go figure. ill stay with IE7

what is so great about fire fox that has everyone's hair on fire???

Odd, only cause it's not happening to anyone else.

What is the problem with the hyperlinking, which one of the following 2 are you trying to do:

http://www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com/)

or

Yahoo (http://ww.yahoo.com)

namvet
07-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Odd, only cause it's not happening to anyone else.

What is the problem with the hyperlinking, which one of the following 2 are you trying to do:

http://www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com/)

or

Yahoo (http://ww.yahoo.com)

yahoo. but when i rt click i can see the url tags. ahha

i deleted fire fox. its useless.

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 09:09 PM
yahoo. but when i rt click i can see the url tags. ahha

i deleted fire fox. its useless.

There's only 2 ways to do it:

1) Just hit the hyperlink icon, type in the address, and it'll come out like http://www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com/)

2) Type the word Yahoo first, then highlight the word Yahoo with your mouse, then click on the hyperlink icon while it's highlighted and enter the address - you'll get this - Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com)

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 09:17 PM

I LOVE the gray.

As stated already, I have the user area one shade of gray, the quoted text in a post is white, and I made the line that separates the post and the signature much more prominent. It seems as if the signature area and the post area are controlled the same - you change one and you change both - hence the heightened separator in the mean time. I'll find a way to change it yet!

Sweetchuck
07-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Holy shit - the links are pink.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Holy shit - the links are pink.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, can't find a good enough color to stand out in the grey with black text. Was just a test, and one I changed back REAL fast!

Sweetchuck
07-31-2010, 09:25 PM
How about green?

If the forum dumps cookies for read threads, you can default back to the original color.

jimnyc
07-31-2010, 10:08 PM

I LOVE the gray.

Ok, here's what I've done:

1) Made members area on post within thread a light shade of gray.
2) Quoted text in a post will be white
3) The background of all the posts are a darker gray
4) The line separating the post from the signature is darker and thicker
5) I made it so that a members signature gets highlighted a light color too. It's not an exact science though, and does the background of the text for the signature and not the entire box.

Wish I could do better, but the backend is totally different now and I'm having trouble thus far learning my way around!

namvet
08-01-2010, 08:35 AM
There's only 2 ways to do it:

1) Just hit the hyperlink icon, type in the address, and it'll come out like http://www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com/)

2) Type the word Yahoo first, then highlight the word Yahoo with your mouse, then click on the hyperlink icon while it's highlighted and enter the address - you'll get this - Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com)

click here (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/chelsea-clinton-turns-princess-bride-in-wang-2195274/#photoViewer=1)

thanks jim. the second one is faster. you'll notice this web site link is much longer.

crin63
08-01-2010, 10:56 AM

I changed the skin color to the darker blue and that helped some but I'm not sure if its enough.

jimnyc
08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I changed the skin color to the darker blue and that helped some but I'm not sure if its enough.

Can you think of anything specific that you're seeing that is making things more difficult for you?

namvet
08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Can you think of anything specific that you're seeing that is making things more difficult for you?

just curious. how can you change it to a darker blue ???

jimnyc
08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
just curious. how can you change it to a darker blue ???

The "header" portion of the board is a "gradient image" which starts with a darker blue and slowly changes to a lighter blue as it goes down. Then the rest of the boards boarders are the same, just different shades of blue. I think the mixture is nice personally, too dark of any color will make it just as difficult to read as if it were all too bright.

Technically speaking, to change it I would need to either make darker gradient images to replace those in place, or change it to regular colors but darker.

Mr. P
08-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Can we track/view "Thanks" yet?

Kathianne
08-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Click on 'settings' on upper right side.

Mr. P
08-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Click on 'settings' on upper right side.

Not "Rep" but "Thanks". Did I just miss it?

Kathianne
08-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Not "Rep" but "Thanks". Did I just miss it?

Hmmm, I never could 'read' the thanks, just the numbers by rep. Did I miss something?

Mr. P
08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmmm, I never could 'read' the thanks, just the numbers by rep. Did I miss something?

Yep, I guess so..on the other system we could go to profile an then statistics and view the thanks per/post.

jimnyc
08-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Yep, I guess so..on the other system we could go to profile an then statistics and view the thanks per/post.

All the posting statistics, which includes the "thanks", are under the "about me" tab in your profiles.

Mr. P
08-01-2010, 06:06 PM
All the posting statistics, which includes the "thanks", are under the "about me" tab in your profiles.

I know but it just gives a count no specific post info.

jimnyc
08-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I know but it just gives a count no specific post info.

You are correct. I searched through all the mods for the new version and there aren't any as of yet that support searching all the threads you were "thanked" in for your post. I removed the one that was currently installed as it distorted your rep count and thanks count off to the right of your post. This one blends in with the board a little better at the bottom of a post where you thank someone, and your stats are right in your postbit (after you post, to the right of your name and avatar). But still no way to search. A few developers stated this will be available in future release, so we'll just have to wait a bit.

IMO, while I think the "thanks" is a nice option, and nice to see people thanking you under your posts, it's a bit redundant with the reputation system.

namvet
08-01-2010, 08:11 PM
wow. went to hell in a hand basket

namvet
08-01-2010, 08:26 PM
post 152 same thing

Abbey Marie
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
As stated already, I have the user area one shade of gray, the quoted text in a post is white, and I made the line that separates the post and the signature much more prominent. It seems as if the signature area and the post area are controlled the same - you change one and you change both - hence the heightened separator in the mean time. I'll find a way to change it yet!

That's much better. The separator line is much more prominent, and the highlight behind the quoted material is very obvious. Thanks, Jim. :thumb:

Mr. P
08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
You are correct. I searched through all the mods for the new version and there aren't any as of yet that support searching all the threads you were "thanked" in for your post. I removed the one that was currently installed as it distorted your rep count and thanks count off to the right of your post. This one blends in with the board a little better at the bottom of a post where you thank someone, and your stats are right in your postbit (after you post, to the right of your name and avatar). But still no way to search. A few developers stated this will be available in future release, so we'll just have to wait a bit.

IMO, while I think the "thanks" is a nice option, and nice to see people thanking you under your posts, it's a bit redundant with the reputation system.
I thought the same at first. Now I see it as an enhancement. Keep it.

namvet
08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
mr P I can't see your post at all. just one big blue field. what the hell happened???

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
mr P I can't see your post at all. just one big blue field. what the hell happened???

You said you didn't like Firefox, and that you weren't using AOL's browser. Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, what version exactly? If another browser, please let me know! It's definitely something on your end as you are the only one experiencing this issue. I'll do my best to help you troubleshoot it. Off to get a coffee first and be right back though!

namvet
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
You said you didn't like Firefox, and that you weren't using AOL's browser. Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, what version exactly? If another browser, please let me know! It's definitely something on your end as you are the only one experiencing this issue. I'll do my best to help you troubleshoot it. Off to get a coffee first and be right back though!

IE 7. and it works fine on other forums. I thought these worked with all browsers.

I put fire fox back on. same problem. you tell me. it has been working just fine till yesterday.

Mr. P
08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Can you see this one?

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
IE 7. and it works fine on other forums. I thought these worked with all browsers.

I put fire fox back on. same problem. you tell me. it has been working just fine till yesterday.

You need IE8 for the new version of vBulletin to render properly, which is why you probably often see tables out of whack or stretched. Try upgrading to IE8 which is now recommended for all PC's regardless:

Odd that the latest version of FF would do the same, that's what myself and a lot of others are using, without the issue you are seeing. But let's attack one issue at a time, starting with IE which I would recommend upgrading whether you had the issue here or not.

namvet
08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Can you see this one?

just fine. it is an intermittent problem

namvet
08-02-2010, 02:51 PM
You need IE8 for the new version of vBulletin to render properly, which is why you probably often see tables out of whack or stretched. Try upgrading to IE8 which is now recommended for all PC's regardless:

Odd that the latest version of FF would do the same, that's what myself and a lot of others are using, without the issue you are seeing. But let's attack one issue at a time, starting with IE which I would recommend upgrading whether you had the issue here or not.

for some reason IE8 keeps logging me off. but ill try anything right now.
didn't you address this problem further back????

I don't think this has any weight. but when it was working i had the blue border with gray interior. now its all blue.
off to IE8. BRB

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
for some reason IE8 keeps logging me off. but ill try anything right now.
didn't you address this problem further back????

I don't think this has any weight. but when it was working i had the blue border with gray interior. now its all blue.
off to IE8. BRB

Blue border with gray interior is what we are shooting for. It sounds to me like the "tables" are not rendering properly. Things are likely being shoved all the way to the right or all the way to the bottom. I've seen it before and it's always the forum software, mismatch in pertinent software, or problem with receiving PC. I doubt it's your PC since you have no issue anywhere else. I doubt it's the forum software as everyone should then experience the issue. That leaves us with the browser, which is the easiest to try and fix at the moment anyway.

Kathianne
08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
I thought the same at first. Now I see it as an enhancement. Keep it.

I agree. On another site, they also have a 'thumbs down' option. I like that better than rep, as I don't like to ding folks, just show disagreement.

The thumbs up is very nice when you are out of repping someone positively, but want them and others to know you agree.

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Another thing worth mentioning to anyone having ANY weird issues on the forum - make sure you empty your browsers cache and delete your cookies. You might have remnants still cached from the old version.

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Blue border with gray interior is what we are shooting for. It sounds to me like the "tables" are not rendering properly. Things are likely being shoved all the way to the right or all the way to the bottom. I've seen it before and it's always the forum software, mismatch in pertinent software, or problem with receiving PC. I doubt it's your PC since you have no issue anywhere else. I doubt it's the forum software as everyone should then experience the issue. That leaves us with the browser, which is the easiest to try and fix at the moment anyway.

im back.

Blue border with gray interior is what we are shooting for. It sounds to me like the "tables" are not rendering properly. Things are likely being shoved all the way to the right or all the way to the bottom.

bingo !!! that what i have. and it is an intermittent problem. i never know when i post if this will happen or not.
when it does on the far right is a scroll bar. it goes allll the way to the bottom. nothing there. and you can see something in the lower right corner. im running IE 8 now

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
bingo !!! that what i have. and it is an intermittent problem. i never know when i post if this will happen or not.
when it does on the far right is a scroll bar. it goes allll the way to the bottom. nothing there. and you can see something in the lower right corner. im running IE 8 now

Is it still doing it now? Can you also delete your cache and cookies and then log back in again and continue testing?

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Is it still doing it now? Can you also delete your cache and cookies and then log back in again and continue testing?

I wouldn't think you would have to with a new or updated browser. what the hell do i have to lose??? I will get logged off but that's normal. this time i stayed logged on. standby

BTY everything's still blue.............

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't think you would have to with a new or updated browser. what the hell do i have to lose??? I will get logged off but that's normal. this time i stayed logged on. standby

BTY everything's still blue.............

When you upgrade it brings your cache, cookies, favorites and all the other lovely stuff along with it. I'm hoping that with an empty chest and an updated browser that your problem will go away.

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
When you upgrade it brings your cache, cookies, favorites and all the other lovely stuff along with it. I'm hoping that with an empty chest and an updated browser that your problem will go away.

your right. and im back to the gray interior. here's hoping it doesn't go away mad it just goes away !!!!! lets let er ride awhile. thanks for de help...........Vet

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:25 PM
your right. and im back to the gray interior. here's hoping it doesn't go away mad it just goes away !!!!! lets let er ride awhile. thanks for de help...........Vet

Crossing my fingers! Please keep me updated...

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM

damned. just did it again. and i had the gray interior. now back to blue

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
damned. just did it again.

When it happens on a particular page, what happens if you hit refresh on your browser, does it reload ok or continually do it?

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
When it happens on a particular page, what happens if you hit refresh on your browser, does it reload ok or continually do it?

just did it here. refresh no change. looks like the blue skin is the cause

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
just did it here. refresh no change. looks like the blue skin is the cause

If it were the skin causing the issue, then everyone would experience what you are.

Please humor me with this, as it's a little tool everyone should have anyway.

Download CCleaner, install it with no programs open, run the cleaner portion and then reboot after it cleans everything. Then try again. If it doesn't work, you're still installing an awesome little tool that you should run like 2x per week to maintain your computer.

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
If it were the skin causing the issue, then everyone would experience what you are.

Please humor me with this, as it's a little tool everyone should have anyway.

Download CCleaner, install it with no programs open, run the cleaner portion and then reboot after it cleans everything. Then try again. If it doesn't work, you're still installing an awesome little tool that you should run like 2x per week to maintain your computer.

anyone else have the blue interior or just me??? man. this is a weird piece a meat

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
anyone else have the blue interior or just me??? man. this is a weird piece a meat

I'm confident that if anyone was seeing the board all distorted because of the tables and rendering pages unreadable, they would speak up as you are! That's why I'm confident it's on your end, and likely nothing that you did wrong, just something getting in our way. I'm thinking remnants stored somewhere still, and this program will clean your browser cache as well as all the other temp files on your machine.

namvet
08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm confident that if anyone was seeing the board all distorted because of the tables and rendering pages unreadable, they would speak up as you are! That's why I'm confident it's on your end, and likely nothing that you did wrong, just something getting in our way. I'm thinking remnants stored somewhere still, and this program will clean your browser cache as well as all the other temp files on your machine.

I ran the tool. we'll see. ill PM you from here on ok??? and if you would please delete any and all screen shots i posted here.................

jimnyc
08-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I ran the tool. we'll see. ill PM you from here on ok??? and if you would please delete any and all screen shots i posted here.................

Yes, let me know if it continues. Your screenshots are gone.

jimnyc
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Since I began this thread, via patches, the board now operates on version 4.1.3.

I was recently asked about one of our newer members about somke functionality of the latest version. This thread is a decent way to reflect back on some updates, but I also wanted to post a link to a "graphic" that shows all of the boards capabilities for those interested. There are 2 rows on this page, the left row for "4.0 Forum" is what applies to us.

If anyone has any questions about a specific feature, feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I will surely find out for you.

http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

jimnyc
05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I had not realized until just a short while ago that the link to "settings" at the very top right of the page was missing. This apparently disappeared with the upgrade, and is a direct link to your UserCP - and the ability to look at your reputation comments, new and old alike. As you can hopefully see, it's been returned.

logroller
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I had not realized until just a short while ago that the link to "settings" at the very top right of the page was missing. This apparently disappeared with the upgrade, and is a direct link to your UserCP - and the ability to look at your reputation comments, new and old alike. As you can hopefully see, it's been returned.

I had noticed that the same day I asked about the upgrade, sorry I didn't say anything. Thanks for the fix!:thumb: