PDA

View Full Version : Now John Kerry Joins The Ranks of Dem Tax Cheats

red states rule
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Once again we have another liberal who never met a tax increase he did not vote for - getting busted not paying his fair share

John "I served in Viet Nam" Kerry did not want to pay the taxes associated with his YACHT to the high tax state of MA

Sen. John Kerry, who has repeatedly voted to raise taxes while in Congress, dodged a whopping six-figure state tax bill on his new multimillion-dollar yacht by mooring her in Newport, R.I.

Isabel - Kerry’s luxe, 76-foot New Zealand-built Friendship sloop with an Edwardian-style, glossy varnished teak interior, two VIP main cabins and a pilothouse fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage - was designed by Rhode Island boat designer Ted Fontaine.

But instead of berthing the vessel in Nantucket, where the senator summers with the missus, Teresa Heinz, Isabel’s hailing port is listed as “Newport” on her stern.

Could the reason be that the Ocean State repealed its Boat Sales and Use Tax back in 1993, making the tiny state to the south a haven - like the Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Nassau - for tax-skirting luxury yacht owners?

Cash-strapped Massachusetts still collects a 6.25 percent sales tax and an annual excise tax on yachts. Sources say Isabel sold for something in the neighborhood of $7 million, meaning Kerry saved approximately $437,500 in sales tax and an annual excise tax of about $70,000.

The senior senator’s chief of staff David Wade denied the old salt was berthing his boat out of state to avoid ponying up to the commonwealth.

“The boat was designed by and purchased from a company in Rhode Island,

http://bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1269698

Sweetchuck
07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Why would anyone be surprised?

On the contrary, I would be somewhat surprised if any of these hypocrites acted with integrity and not the "do as I say, not as I do" approach.

red states rule
07-28-2010, 04:42 AM
The yacht is foreign made - so much for supporting American (and possible union) workers

red states rule
07-28-2010, 05:45 AM
It is amazing how tax and spend loving liberals will pay their fair share - only after getting caught

BOSTON (AP) - Sen. John Kerry has told the Massachusetts Department of Revenue he will pay all the taxes due on his new $7 million yacht despite basing the vessel in tax-free Rhode Island.

In a statement Tuesday to The Associated Press, the Democrat said, "The payment is being made promptly."

The 2008 Democratic presidential nominee has been dogged by charges of tax evasion since last week, when the Boston Herald first reported about his decision to dock the 76-foot sloop Isabel in Newport, R.I.

Doing so spared Kerry a $437,500 one-times sales tax charge in Massachusetts, as well as about $70,000 in annual excise taxes.

In his statement, Kerry says, "Whether owed or not, we intend to pay the equivalent taxes as if the boat's home-port were currently in Massachusetts."

http://ww.abc6.com/global/story.asp?s=12878581

Gaffer
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
It is amazing how tax and spend loving liberals will pay their fair share - only after getting caught

In other words he cut a deal with the state and will pay considerably less in taxes, but nobody is to know about it.

country
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Ever notice when politicians get nailed on back taxes its never just a few hundred dollars, but THOUSANDS of dollars. We were audited a few years ago and the reason for the audit boiled down to a $500.00 [used vehicle] donation.
Why does the irs go after small potatoes like me when the big bucks are out there to collect?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Ever notice when politicians get nailed on back taxes its never just a few hundred dollars, but THOUSANDS of dollars. We were audited a few years ago and the reason for the audit boiled down to a $500.00 [used vehicle] donation.
Why does the irs go after small potatoes like me when the big bucks are out there to collect?

and they rarely pay the full amount or any fines when caught. Now if it's you or me? Fines a plenty.

-Cp
07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
All wealthy people look for ways to save on taxes - not sure why he's getting such a hard time over this..

Aren't there bigger issues facing this country than where some irrelevant person like Kerry decides to moor his boat? I mean.. really?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
All wealthy people look for ways to save on taxes - not sure why he's getting such a hard time over this..

Aren't there bigger issues facing this country than where some irrelevant person like Kerry decides to moor his boat? I mean.. really?

Really? He has no problem voting to raise taxes on all of us, while avoiding them himself.

I'll listen to those in power when they stop being hypocrites.

-Cp
07-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Really? He has no problem voting to raise taxes on all of us, while avoiding them himself.

I'll listen to those in power when they stop being hypocrites.

What tax has he raised for you?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 11:36 AM
What tax has he raised for you?

When has Kerry voted to lower taxes or oppose a new tax or hike?

-Cp
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM

How many extremely wealthy people are conservative anyways? Most support the dems who generally support higher taxes..

-Cp
07-28-2010, 03:53 PM

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_keyvote_detail.php?cs_id=18536&can_id=53306

red states rule
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
How many extremely wealthy people are conservative anyways? Most support the dems who generally support higher taxes..

and if they are rich liberals a growing number of them are busted for not paying their taxes

That is why liberals support higher taxes for the rest of us - they do not intend to pay them anyway

red states rule
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Here is what Kerry had to say about tax cuts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zISKoQegbxM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zISKoQegbxM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

and he cheated on his taxes and bought his yacht from New Zealand

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
http://www.votesmart.org/issue_keyvote_detail.php?cs_id=18536&can_id=53306

An appropriations bill, more spending. No surprise there.

red states rule
08-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Kerry must have been out on his yacht when VP Biden said it was patriotic to pay taxes