PDA

View Full Version : What's the Difference between a Mainstream Religion vs Religious Cult ?

chloe
07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
I think about it alot and wonder what it is that makes a mainstream religion more acceptable and other religions called cults?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I think about it alot and wonder what it is that makes a mainstream religion more acceptable and other religions called cults?

Do you have an example?

chloe
07-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Do you have an example?

Well as you know I was not raised in a mainstream religion by either parent. As an adult I have had the hardest time understanding the purpose or belief on some things churches do. People get mad at me when I ask too many questions about it too. So it makes me nervous to ask things.

But in mainstream religions they always have like a Priest, Bishop, Preacher, Prophet some kind of Authority. They also do things like the crackers and juice on sunday thing and I think from what I understand they are celebrating Jesus giving up his life for them. I really don't understand that concept.

I don't understand really what distinguishes the idea of acceptable religion and cult. Is it having an Authority Leader, or having a common acceptance that Jesus died for you? Is that what determines whether its a mainstream religion or not ?

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Well as you know I was not raised in a mainstream religion by either parent. As an adult I have had the hardest time understanding the purpose or belief on some things churches do. People get mad at me when I ask too many questions about it too. So it makes me nervous to ask things.

But in mainstream religions they always have like a Priest, Bishop, Preacher, Prophet some kind of Authority. They also do things like the crackers and juice on sunday thing and I think from what I understand they are celebrating Jesus giving up his life for them. I really don't understand that concept.

I don't understand really what distinguishes the idea of acceptable religion and cult. Is it having an Authority Leader, or having a common acceptance that Jesus died for you? Is that what determines whether its a mainstream religion or not ?

I don't know if you are addressing understanding religions or specific practices? There are many religions not considered mainstream, that do not have 'leaders' such as Quakers.

I see cults as groups that require subjugation of the individual will to the leader of the group, i.e., David Koresh or Bob Jones or Rev. Moon.

chloe
07-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I see well the two religions I was raised in were considered "cults" I don't like to say them publicly because it sets me up to be attacked over it and I had no choice in what I was raised in. However, we didn't have a leader in my mothers church, I think the main reason that one was considered a cult was because they relied radically on prayer for everything. My dads religion was started by a guy in the Military and it was more like a mix of psychology and my dads spiritual interpretation of it. But neither of those religions taught Jesus died for my sins, neither taught about bread and wine, there was no belief in heaven or hell the way other religions teach it. I guess I just wondered what makes a religion considered legitimate and another not legitimate.

So in your opinion cults are more like Jim Jones type of things.... but not based on having beliefs much different then mainstream christian beliefs.

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 08:10 AM
I see well the two religions I was raised in were considered "cults" I don't like to say them publicly because it sets me up to be attacked over it and I had no choice in what I was raised in. However, we didn't have a leader in my mothers church, I think the main reason that one was considered a cult was because they relied radically on prayer for everything. My dads religion was started by a guy in the Military and it was more like a mix of psychology and my dads spiritual interpretation of it. But neither of those religions taught Jesus died for my sins, neither taught about bread and wine, there was no belief in heaven or hell the way other religions teach it. I guess I just wondered what makes a religion considered legitimate and another not legitimate.

So in your opinion cults are more like Jim Jones type of things.... but not based on having beliefs much different then mainstream christian beliefs.

I guess my definition of a cult would be where decisions are made for you, making it impossible to leave. In a non-cult religion, you are free to stay, go, believe selectively, etc. I suppose anyone could make a cult out of any belief, given the right selection of members?

chloe
07-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I guess my definition of a cult would be where decisions are made for you, making it impossible to leave. In a non-cult religion, you are free to stay, go, believe selectively, etc. I suppose anyone could make a cult out of any belief, given the right selection of members?

That makes sense, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it.

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
That makes sense, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it.

No problem. I think when it comes to our belief systems, we eventually have to decide for ourselves.

Sweetchuck
07-28-2010, 05:49 PM
So are Mormons mainstream?

Or are they kooks?

PostmodernProphet
07-28-2010, 06:02 PM
the classic understanding of a "cult" stems from a sociologist named Becker back in the 30s....

a "cult" was generally a small organization, centered around a single spokesman or preacher who focused on a single doctrine or idea.....generally an idea deemed strange by the majority of people....

a "cult" which grew to encompass several locations and leaders was considered to be a "sect".....a "sect" which grew could develop into a "denomination"......

"mainstream" is a very fluid description.....historically it would describe one of the five or six largest denominations, usually only used to distinguish Protestant denominations, since there was only one "Catholic" church and it didn't need to be distinguished from itself......today, it is used to describe liberal versus conservative or "evangelical" denominations.....that in itself is ironic, since "evangelical" used to be the term distinguishing "mainstream" denominations from "fundamentalist" denominations....the distinguishing factor at that time was whether the purpose of the church was to "evangelize" or preserve the "fundamental" truths of Christianity.....

the more popular understanding of "cult" has focused on the strangeness of the beliefs, almost to the point of considering that deviousness of the belief is a requirement of "cult"

examples of churches which have gone through the entire process would include the Jehovah's Witness and the Mormons, both began as cults and are considered denominations by most nowdays.....same with 7th Day Adventists......

Scientology, on the other hand is probably still in the "sect" stage......

most people would only be familiar with a "cult" if they had family members involved or if they hit the news because of some bizarre act......the general public wouldn't take notice nationally until it achieved "sect" status......

chloe
07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
So are Mormons mainstream?

Or are they kooks?

I think Mormons are considered mainstream. I was not raised Mormon but I was married to a Mormon once.

chloe
07-28-2010, 08:09 PM
the classic understanding of a "cult" stems from a sociologist named Becker back in the 30s....

a "cult" was generally a small organization, centered around a single spokesman or preacher who focused on a single doctrine or idea.....generally an idea deemed strange by the majority of people....

a "cult" which grew to encompass several locations and leaders was considered to be a "sect".....a "sect" which grew could develop into a "denomination"......

"mainstream" is a very fluid description.....historically it would describe one of the five or six largest denominations, usually only used to distinguish Protestant denominations, since there was only one "Catholic" church and it didn't need to be distinguished from itself......today, it is used to describe liberal versus conservative or "evangelical" denominations.....that in itself is ironic, since "evangelical" used to be the term distinguishing "mainstream" denominations from "fundamentalist" denominations....the distinguishing factor at that time was whether the purpose of the church was to "evangelize" or preserve the "fundamental" truths of Christianity.....

the more popular understanding of "cult" has focused on the strangeness of the beliefs, almost to the point of considering that deviousness of the belief is a requirement of "cult"

examples of churches which have gone through the entire process would include the Jehovah's Witness and the Mormons, both began as cults and are considered denominations by most nowdays.....same with 7th Day Adventists......

Scientology, on the other hand is probably still in the "sect" stage......

most people would only be familiar with a "cult" if they had family members involved or if they hit the news because of some bizarre act......the general public wouldn't take notice nationally until it achieved "sect" status......

That's a good explanation, so basically religion vs cult is a numbers thing.

07-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Cult is just a fancy name for "Religion I don't like but can't make substantive arguments against so I name call"

At least in my experience. You can tell I've got a real positive view of it.

LuvRPgrl
07-29-2010, 01:39 AM

Im not even sure if you are asking the question that you really intend to ask.

It seems to me that you may be using some terms incorrectly without realizing it.

For example, there is a difference between mainstream religion and mainstream Christianity, and I get the sense you may be "thinking" "mainstream Christianity", whereas you are "stating" "mainstream religion".

What is a religion ,,,, this is a much different question than "what is Christianity"

Anyways, Cults, to the best of my knowledge, are a group that follow a person, whereas a religion is a group that follows a theology.

Some religions, Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, and some others, claim to be Christian, but are rejected by the mainstream, and traditional Christian church, as Christian. So, they arent Christian, no matter how much they want to be, or claim to be, or want to be perceived as.

But they are religions, they just arent a Christian Religion.

I also found it interesting that you said some people get mad at you when you start asking "TOO MANY" questions, and I can understand that.
Asking too many questions means you need to do more literary research and not be lazy and just depend on others to do that research and tell you the results.

chloe
07-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Im not even sure if you are asking the question that you really intend to ask.

It seems to me that you may be using some terms incorrectly without realizing it.

For example, there is a difference between mainstream religion and mainstream Christianity, and I get the sense you may be "thinking" "mainstream Christianity", whereas you are "stating" "mainstream religion".

What is a religion ,,,, this is a much different question than "what is Christianity"

Anyways, Cults, to the best of my knowledge, are a group that follow a person, whereas a religion is a group that follows a theology.

Some religions, Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, and some others, claim to be Christian, but are rejected by the mainstream, and traditional Christian church, as Christian. So, they arent Christian, no matter how much they want to be, or claim to be, or want to be perceived as.

I also found it interesting that you said some people get mad at you when you start asking "TOO MANY" questions, and I can understand that.
Asking too many questions means you need to do more literary research and not be lazy and just depend on others to do that research and tell you the results.

Thanks, yeah both your answers are informational. I Prefer to ask people what there religious belief is and why and it is much nicer for me to understand the belief from the personal standpoint.

To be honest with you I don't understand the bible wording, someone at work gave me a bible for dummies type of thing (not literally) just an easier to read version of the bible and it was alot better then the regular one, LOL. I know its annoying for some people to be asked questions but I appreciate that you took the time to answer me anyway. Thanks again !

PostmodernProphet
07-29-2010, 07:26 AM
That's a good explanation, so basically religion vs cult is a numbers thing.

in a sense.....I think ultimately it comes down to an "acceptability" thing since large numbers won't be attracted to the unacceptable....for example, while the LDS have become a denomination, there are offshoots (protesting the LDS' rejection of polygamy) that are considered sects and cults, even by the LDS.......

chloe
07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
in a sense.....I think ultimately it comes down to an "acceptability" thing since large numbers won't be attracted to the unacceptable....for example, while the LDS have become a denomination, there are offshoots (protesting the LDS' rejection of polygamy) that are considered sects and cults, even by the LDS.......

Yeah that's true too. My Dad made up his own religion it was based on a book written by a guy in the Military called "Rays of the Dawn" he called me and my sister beamers. We never did bible study but he knew the bible stories and combined them with his rays of the dawn philosophy. I suppose that is sort of a cult right?

PostmodernProphet
07-29-2010, 07:33 AM

I think you have overlooked the history of some of these "non-Christian" religions.....

there has been an evolution in the doctrines of the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses....I am sure a traditional Mormon might consider it liberal deterioration, but there is very little evidence in a modern LDS worship service of those things that made Mormons seem strange 100 years ago......the focus today is mostly on "love the Lord with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself"......

PostmodernProphet
07-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah that's true too. My Dad made up his own religion it was based on a book written by a guy in the Military called "Rays of the Dawn" he called me and my sister beamers. We never did bible study but he knew the bible stories and combined them with his rays of the dawn philosophy. I suppose that is sort of a cult right?

I suppose it might have been....but then, he would have had to have had followers besides a couple of kids in tow, before we could call it a cult in the traditional sense......I guess there are a lot worse things a father could call his children than 'beamers' if he thought of children as a reflection of light from God.....if his theories weren't too "unacceptable" he might have simply been an evangelist in the eyes of many......

chloe
07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
I suppose it might have been....but then, he would have had to have had followers besides a couple of kids in tow, before we could call it a cult in the traditional sense......I guess there are a lot worse things a father could call his children than 'beamers' if he thought of children as a reflection of light from God.....if his theories weren't too "unacceptable" he might have simply been an evangelist in the eyes of many......

Yeah I think people he discussed rays of the dawn with were mostly potheads. My moms religion was the opposite of his and also considered a cult.

In her religion they relied on prayer for everything. It was a Metaphysical religion and they did study the bible but they didn't study it like other christians I guess because they interpreted it from a more philosophy view.

darin
07-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Father Hurley?

revelarts
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
PostM and luv responses are cool definitions. But I think Avatar's is the one that works for to many folks and the news.

A cult is a religion people don't like, don't understand or seems weird.

I think PostM is technically correct. And i'd add that not only are some cults off shots of larger religions but that they reinterpret or create new teachings that that root religion doesn't approve of.

The whole idea of 1 fairly modern and infallible or nearly infallible leader is another big aspect of some cults, as others have mentioned.

It's not a great word to use IMO.

From a strictly Christian POV All other religions are False. in a very plain and simple way. Whatever the details or doctrines or structure or leadership. But of course there are huge towers of truth and guidance in many other religions but without the foundation of Jesus's work, every other religion is on a false floor.

Orthodoxy within Christianity has been debated for years but there are certain root principals that used to be standard. And agree on in the old creeds.
on of the oldest is the Apostles creed: (note "Catholic" means UNIVERSAL not Catholic Church as it's formed today)

"I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. AMEN.

there a re people who call themselves Christians today who do not believe that Mary was a Virgin or that Jesus REALLY rose from the dead. But they are considered Mainstream Christians Because they kept the label Christian even while ditching a lot of the beliefs set down in the creed and by the Apostles in the 1st century.
So mainstream doesn't really connote anything about the beliefs of Christianity or, I suspect, other Large "Mainstream" religions.
It's more about popularity, acceptance and numbers.

PostmodernProphet
07-29-2010, 03:17 PM
I think it's pretty hard to maintain you are a Christian if you refuse to believe in a Christ, which by definition would be a divine savior....to say you believe in Jesus but deny his divinity or that he is a savior pretty much negates the "Christ" part of Christianity.....

DragonStryk72
07-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Actually, Christianity used to be a cult. It's really only in more recent years that we have come to use cult as a pejorative term to describe groups such as the cult in Waco, TX. In truth, it defines like this:

cult
   /kʌlt/ Show Spelled[kuhlt] Show IPA
–noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

so, really, almost any religion could be defined as a cult as well, when you get down to it. There's a saying that goes, "Cult is what the big congregation calls the little one".

This does not mean that all cults, or all religions are bad are wrong, it's just the way the terms are defined.

revelarts
07-29-2010, 04:54 PM
I think it's pretty hard to maintain you are a Christian if you refuse to believe in a Christ, which by definition would be a divine savior....to say you believe in Jesus but deny his divinity or that he is a savior pretty much negates the "Christ" part of Christianity.....

I agree 100% but I think you probably know of people who have a different definition of "Christ". who are offended if you try to say they aren't Christians. And if they feel like arguing will tell you the the spirit of Christ IS REALLY ABOUT love and kindness and helping your neighbor. God is love and The kingdom of heaven is within you (only within you is silent but implied). And Jesus was "an example of the define that dwells within us all".

Slippery stuff, but Jesus said there would be deceivers.
And what doyaknow, he was right.

chloe
07-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Actually, Christianity used to be a cult. It's really only in more recent years that we have come to use cult as a pejorative term to describe groups such as the cult in Waco, TX. In truth, it defines like this:

cult
   /kʌlt/ Show Spelled[kuhlt] Show IPA
–noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

so, really, almost any religion could be defined as a cult as well, when you get down to it. There's a saying that goes, "Cult is what the big congregation calls the little one".

This does not mean that all cults, or all religions are bad are wrong, it's just the way the terms are defined.

Yeah it seems like that is true