PDA

View Full Version : Must Read of Day, Gingrich: No Mosque at Ground Zero

Kathianne
07-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Most of you know I think the man is brilliant, but not someone I'd vote for. This happens to be an example of why I admire his clarity of thought:

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=38282

No Mosque at Ground Zero
by Newt Gingrich
07/28/2010

One of our biggest mistakes in the aftermath of 9/11 was naming our response to the attacks “the war on terror” instead of accurately identifying radical Islamists (and the underlying ideology of radical Islamism) as the target of our campaign. This mistake has led to endless confusion about the nature of the ideological and material threat facing the civilized world and the scale of the response that is appropriate.

Radical Islamism is more than simply a religious belief. It is a comprehensive political, economic, and religious movement that seeks to impose sharia—Islamic law—upon all aspects of global society.

Many Muslims see sharia as simply a reference point for their personal code of conduct. They recognize the distinction between their personal beliefs and the laws that govern all people of all faiths.

For the radical Islamist, however, this distinction does not exist. Radical Islamists see politics and religion as inseparable in a way it is difficult for Americans to understand. Radical Islamists assert sharia’s supremacy over the freely legislated laws and values of the countries they live in and see it as their sacred duty to achieve this totalitarian supremacy in practice.

Some radical Islamists use terrorism as a tactic to impose sharia but others use non-violent methods—a cultural, political, and legal jihad that seeks the same totalitarian goal even while claiming to repudiate violence. Thus, the term “war on terrorism” is far too narrow a framework in which to think about the war in which we are engaged against the radical Islamists...

chloe
07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
I like Listening to Newt on youtube, he has alot of fine points.

Insein
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Personally I think we need Newt to run in 2012. The country needs a strong, decisive leader.

Abbey Marie
07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Excellent find, Kath. Should be required reading. :thumb:

Kathianne
07-29-2010, 02:25 PM
And here's an excellent open letter from Cliff May to Mayor Bloomberg:

http://article.nationalreview.com/438784/dear-mayor-bloomberg/clifford-d-may

JULY 29, 2010 12:00 A.M.
Dear Mayor Bloomberg
A few questions you might want to ask before approving a mosque for Ground Zero.

Your Honor:

In regard to the proposal to build an Islamic center at the site of the 9/11 terrorist attack in Manhattan, I commend you for saying: “Everything the United States stands for and New York stands for is tolerance and openness, and I think it’s a great message for the world. . . . ” But I would urge you to question whether this project truly represents that idea — or whether it undermines it.

Start with this: Before this project is approved, surely New Yorkers and other Americans should know who will be picking up the more than $100 million tab. Would you not be distressed were it later to be revealed that funds had been contributed by people who also finance terrorism?

You’ll recall that, after the 9/11 attacks, your predecessor Rudy Giuliani turned down a $10 million check from a Saudi prince who had said that America shares blame for the atrocity. Feisal Abdul Rauf, the imam behind the Islamic center project, has said that U.S. policies “were an accessory to the crime that happened.” How is that different?...

namvet
07-29-2010, 03:17 PM
putting a Mosque at ground zero is like putting a Kamikaze shrine in Pearl Harbor

sybarite
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
putting a Mosque at ground zero is like putting a Kamikaze shrine in Pearl Harbor

...and like putting a shrine of Hitler next to the National Holocaust Museum!