PDA

View Full Version : Two Lines I Never Thought I'd Read In TIME

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2007202,00.html

Thursday, Jul. 29, 2010
The BP Spill: Has the Damage Been Exaggerated?
By Michael Grunwald / Port Fourchon, La.
President Obama has called the BP oil spill "the worst environmental disaster America has ever faced," and so has just about everyone else. Green groups are sounding alarms about the "catastrophe along the Gulf Coast," while CBS, Fox and MSNBC are all slapping "Disaster in the Gulf" chyrons on their spill-related news. Even BP fall guy Tony Hayward, after some early happy talk, admitted that the spill was an "environmental catastrophe." The obnoxious anti-environmentalist Rush Limbaugh has been a rare voice arguing that the spill — he calls it "the leak" — is anything less than an ecological calamity, scoffing at the avalanche of end-is-nigh eco-hype.

Well, Limbaugh has a point...

country
07-31-2010, 12:24 PM

Good Grief! You actually read time?

Kathianne
07-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Good Grief! You actually read time?

You'll find I read a lot of sources. ;)

namvet
07-31-2010, 04:42 PM

they're eating they're own Kath.........sit back an enjoy

psJGHGeLSeE

Kathianne
07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Well it's the same issue that has Afghani girl on cover, trying to get the liberals to back "Obama's War." Good luck with that.

http://www.examiner.com/x-43367-International-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m7d31-Death-toll-rises-July-deadliest-month-in-Afghanistan

Death toll rises, July deadliest month in Afghanistan (Photos)

July 31, 12:38 PM · Isabelle Zehnder - International Headlines Examiner
July 31, 2010 - Three more U.S. troops fighting for their country were killed Friday, raising the death toll to 66 in July - the deadliest month in the 9-year war in Afghanistan.

The previous monthly high was in June when 60 were killed.

namvet
07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Well it's the same issue that has Afghani girl on cover, trying to get the liberals to back "Obama's War." Good luck with that.

http://www.examiner.com/x-43367-International-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m7d31-Death-toll-rises-July-deadliest-month-in-Afghanistan

sounds like golf, steak and lobster at the WH

Sweetchuck
07-31-2010, 08:48 PM
People still read TIME?

red states rule
08-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Besides being angry over the policy failures of Obama and Dems - the liberal media is starting to show their dismay over Rush Limbaugh being right about the Gulf oil spill

President Obama has called the BP oil spill "the worst environmental disaster America has ever faced," and so has just about everyone else. Green groups are sounding alarms about the "catastrophe along the Gulf Coast," while CBS, Fox and MSNBC are all slapping "Disaster in the Gulf" chyrons on their spill-related news. Even BP fall guy Tony Hayward, after some early happy talk, admitted that the spill was an "environmental catastrophe." The obnoxious anti-environmentalist Rush Limbaugh has been a rare voice arguing that the spill — he calls it "the leak" — is anything less than an ecological calamity, scoffing at the avalanche of end-is-nigh eco-hype.

Well, Limbaugh has a point. The Deepwater Horizon explosion was an awful tragedy for the 11 workers who died on the rig, and it's no leak; it's the biggest oil spill in U.S. history. It's also inflicting serious economic and psychological damage on coastal communities that depend on tourism, fishing and drilling. But so far — while it's important to acknowledge that the long-term potential danger is simply unknowable for an underwater event that took place just three months ago — it does not seem to be inflicting severe environmental damage. "The impacts have been much, much less than everyone feared," says geochemist Jacqueline Michel, a federal contractor who is coordinating shoreline assessments in Louisiana.

Yes, the spill killed birds — but so far, less than 1% of the number killed by the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska 21 years ago. Yes, we've heard horror stories about oiled dolphins — but so far, wildlife-response teams have collected only three visibly oiled carcasses of mammals. Yes, the spill prompted harsh restrictions on fishing and shrimping, but so far, the region's fish and shrimp have tested clean, and the restrictions are gradually being lifted. And yes, scientists have warned that the oil could accelerate the destruction of Louisiana's disintegrating coastal marshes — a real slow-motion ecological calamity — but so far, assessment teams have found only about 350 acres of oiled marshes, when Louisiana was already losing about 15,000 acres of wetlands every year.

The disappearance of more than 2,000 sq. mi. of coastal Louisiana over the past century has been a true national tragedy, ravaging a unique wilderness, threatening the bayou way of life and leaving communities like New Orleans extremely vulnerable to hurricanes from the Gulf. And while much of the erosion has been caused by the re-engineering of the Mississippi River — which no longer deposits much sediment at the bottom of its Delta — quite a bit has been caused by the oil and gas industry, which gouged 8,000 miles of canals and pipelines through coastal wetlands. But the spill isn't making that problem much worse. Coastal scientist Paul Kemp, a former Louisiana State University professor who is now a National Audubon Society vice president, compares the impact of the spill on the vanishing marshes to "a sunburn on a cancer patient."

Marine scientist Ivor van Heerden, another former LSU prof, who's working for a spill-response contractor, says, "There's just no data to suggest this is an environmental disaster. I have no interest in making BP look good — I think they lied about the size of the spill — but we're not seeing catastrophic impacts." Van Heerden, like just about everyone else working in the Gulf these days, is being paid from BP's spill-response funds. "There's a lot of hype, but no evidence to justify it."

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,2007202,00.html

Abbey Marie
08-03-2010, 09:15 AM
People still read TIME?

Kath didn't say she subscribed to it. :smoke:

LuvRPgrl
08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
they're eating they're own Kath.........sit back an enjoy

[YOUTUBE]psJGHGeLSYOUTUBE]

Enoyed I did !!! thanks,

LuvRPgrl
08-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Kath didn't say she subscribed to it. :smoke:

She didnt deny it either:cool:

Kathianne
08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
She didnt deny it either:cool:

I do not subscribe to TIME. There, I said it. ;)

LuvRPgrl
08-03-2010, 11:14 PM

and you dont lie either :cool:

Kathianne
08-03-2010, 11:18 PM
and you dont lie either :cool:

It's much easier to tell the truth. You don't get confused, later. ;)

Sitarro
08-04-2010, 01:52 AM
It's much easier to tell the truth. You don't get confused, later. ;)

If only the current administration of tax cheats understood that pearl of wisdom.

LuvRPgrl
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
If only the current administration of tax cheats understood that pearl of wisdom.

Yea, you just reminded me, C Rangel, who was sitting chairman of some tax committe is now being charged with "not paying taxes"

I mean, excuse my english, but how the FUCK do these people get off. They think they are above the law. If I did that I would go to prison

Not to mention they are up there raising taxes on people who are going out of business and then they dont even pay their own taxes????

Well, anyone who ever cheats on their taxes certainly has good reason to do so. as far as Im concerned

Abbey Marie
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Ha, ha, told you all so. :laugh: