PDA

View Full Version : even women seeing that marriage is an outdated, sheepish concept

actsnoblemartin
07-30-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/25/tf.women.say.no.marriage/index.html

15 women on why they said 'no' to marriage

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
"Even women?" Not the best start, Martin. :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
07-30-2010, 05:06 PM
i beg your pardon my dear kathianne :cool:

Not just men, are seeing :)

is that better?

Kathianne
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
i beg your pardon my dear kathianne :cool:

Not just men, are seeing :)

is that better?

many disagree with the premise, you are attempting to find a bandwagon for your personal decisions, which are fine. My point would be more that your personal decisions are just that, personal.

Martin, don't get married. Not a problem. Same with those who agree with you.

Palin Rider
07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
If a couple doesn't plan on having or adopting children, there doesn't seem to be much point in their getting married.

At least not for practical reasons.

Trigg
07-31-2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/25/tf.women.say.no.marriage/index.html

15 women on why they said 'no' to marriage

Martin,

You disagree with marriage and everything it stands for. That is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

However, many, including myself, would disagree with you.

I have been married for 21 years and have 4 children. I am happy and far from sheepish. I feel I have an equal partnership and say in everything that happens in my marriage. I don't feel in the slightest "outdated".

If people want to say "no" to marriage have at it. But, remember, it is an opinion.

DragonStryk72
07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
"Both of us have had bad marriages and divorces. When we got together, it wasn't supposed to be a forever thing. Now I realize if I had married him to begin with, I wouldn't be so against marriage, but we are happy the way things are and neither of us want that to change."
-- Suzanne A., Charlottesville, Virginia

Okay, let me say this: If you are with a person, a single person that you have both sexual attraction to one another, and they are the only one that you want to be with, and you want to build a life together, you're frigging married, priest, state, or no. That's what marriage is.

"We didn't get married for a number of reasons: the timing was never right, we were never sure of each other, we were always more focused on just ourselves instead of each other, we weren't sure if we were always right for the other. We were the complete opposites, we were like oil and water inn the relationship, and we fought all the time, but we loved each other unconditionally."
-- Diana B., Rogers, Arkansas

Either you are more focused on yourself, or you love someone unconditionally, because if you are more important than them, that's a condition. Second, if you love each other unconditionally over years and years, despite every fight that comes along, and again, you are married in the true spirit of the term.

"I just don't see the point in getting a piece of paper to 'complete' our relationship. We have been together for 15 years and we feel married. We plan to be together forever, but I just don't see why getting that on paper really matters."
--Shannon M., Newark, New Jersey

Okay, this isn't even against marriage, this is only against state paperwork pertaining to marriage. The argument isn't looking good, cause this is 3 strikes already, and this is only the third quote.

I was gonna go through them all, but I think I can same myself a ton of time. Every one of the women is either in a long-term committed relationship that they plan to stay for the foreseeable future, blatantly afraid of calling their relationship a marriage, or are otherwise deluding themselves based on, as I said in the other anti-marriage thread you posted martin, unrealistic expectations of marriage, and relationships in general. One lady claimed that they wouldn't have any significant issues when she, an atheist, and her "husband" (yes, if you love someone, want to be with only them for the rest of your life, and are planning a life together, you're married), a Christian, have a family and have to work out what to teach their kids because they aren't married. I'm not kidding, look for it.

So to turn this into a real debate, Martin, I'll ask you, and only you this: What is marriage to you? Everyone give him time to respond, cause I have a feeling he's pretty well out of sight of the trail here.