PDA

View Full Version : pray for our nation

namvet
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
click here (http://www.greatdanepro.com/Pray%20For%20America/index.htm)

Abbey Marie
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks namvet. After reading the latest news on here, I tend to feel kind of down. You reminded me where my (our) hope lies.

gabosaurus
08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
We should pray that namvet gets the mental help he needs.

namvet
08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
no need to pray for flabby. its a lost cause. all liberals burn in hell anyway :laugh:

KarlMarx
08-04-2010, 07:58 PM

Gabby, your attitude is of the reasons why we should all pray more. Really.

That's exactly what the rulling elite in the Soviet Union used to say about dissidents, those who practiced their faith, and anyone else they found to be in the way. And they made sure that those people were put in mental hosptals where they were drugged, tortured, and Lord knows what until they "saw the light.

What stops the ruling elite, for now, is that we have freedom of religion guarantee by a Bill of Rights... let's hope that it remains that way.

for all our sakes.

gabosaurus
08-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Freedom of religion is one thing. Forcing religion down people's throats is another thing. No one should be able to dictate religious beliefs to another.

namvet
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Freedom of religion is one thing. Forcing religion down people's throats is another thing. No one should be able to dictate religious beliefs to another.

http://smileyicons.net/smilies/531.gif http://smileyicons.net/smilies/490.gif http://smileyicons.net/smilies/490.gif

Sweetchuck
08-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Sadly, the message to our children is "Pay for our Nation".

KarlMarx
08-04-2010, 09:47 PM

I have to ask if asking someone to pray for our nation is forcing religion down one's throat? It's a request, not a command. THe problem with people like you is that you confuse freedom of religon with freedom from religion

namvet
08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I have to ask if asking someone to pray for our nation is forcing religion down one's throat? It's a request, not a command. THe problem with people like you is that you confuse freedom of religon with freedom from religion

she worships $$$ and her elected fuck ups. never been in a church. unless she gets kick backs :laugh2::laugh2:

08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
We do need to pray for our nation. We need to pray for our leaders. We need to pray that the proud and corrupt and exposed for who they are. We need to pray for good men to be elected. We need to end the corruption by repenting of our own sins and feeling the power of God change us into new people.

I encourage everyone to pray for our nations leaders. Regardless of political party. Pray for your local leaders. Pray that they have wisdom and will do what's right. Pray that they have a change in heart and lead us to a better world rather than to marxism.

08-05-2010, 11:06 PM

I am not convinced he needs mental help. But I will gladly pray for him as I will for you gabs. God loves all of us. He gave His Son for all of us. Every single one of us will rise from the dead because God loved us so much that He sent His Son to die for us.

We can live better than we currently are. God has so many things He wants to show and reveal to us. Look at what He has revealed to the world in the last 200 years alone!

Was there ever an age that even concieved of the idea that we could all communicate with one another without leaving our homes? It's a miracle I can type this to you. A miracle that God has bestowed upon us all. He revealed to learned men how to do these things. And now we can all benefit from it.

Isn't it amazing? You think it's a coincidence that all this technology has boomed now? Do you think it's a coincidence that we can communicate with people all throughout the world and travel anywhere within hours? God is preparing the world for His work. If you think this has been something so far, you haven't begun to see what God will do. The Dispensation of the Fulness of Times has come when God will gather all things into one. All people, All truth, All nations, All records. etc. All things will be one.

We need to prepare ourselves. We need to repent and come to Christ. We need to recieve His grace and pray for strength for what is to come. It's going to be a wild ride. But God is in control. I can't wait to see where He takes us.

You are welcome to join Him. He will welcome you with open arms. Not against your will. You will not be compelled through the force of Government. That isn't How God works. He touches our hearts. He speaks to our souls. He shows us line upon line and precept upon precept how to stand for ourselves. He shows us how to lift others. He will show us so many more things if we just listen to Him.

We start that by talking with Him. We start by searching for Him. We start by offering our sins to Him. So we can be changed and reborn.

I am not your enemy. Namvet isn't your enemy. None of us our enemies Gabs. We are all brothers and sisters. We are children of God, we just havent all recognized it. We are one big family. We should all pray for one another. Not that our will for that person should be done but that God's will should be done.

08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Sadly, the message to our children is "Pay for our Nation".

Then change the message. You are the one teaching your children.

Palin Rider
08-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Too many self-styled Christians (and those in other faiths) have used fear to manipulate people into prayer and into submitting to their faith. Sadly, I suspect the author of the link in the OP is one of them.

If you want to pray, why not give prayers of thanks for what you have? We all should know by now that using prayer to ask for things rarely works. :)

Missileman
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
THe problem with people like you is that you confuse freedom of religon with freedom from religion

Freedom of and freedom from are opposite sides of the same coin...you can't have one without the other.

namvet
08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Too many self-styled Christians (and those in other faiths) have used fear to manipulate people into prayer and into submitting to their faith. Sadly, I suspect the author of the link in the OP is one of them.

If you want to pray, why not give prayers of thanks for what you have? We all should know by now that using prayer to ask for things rarely works. :)

still this one of few nations on earth that goes to its knees. now more than ever before

Palin Rider
08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
still this one of few nations on earth that goes to its knees. now more than ever before

I think religion is alive and (more or less) well just about everywhere, namvet.

Besides, a lower percentage of people attend religious services regularly today than was the case a generation ago. That percentage has been steadily declining for the last century. If you want the source of that statistic, let me know and I'll go dig it up again.

08-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Then you are asking for the wrong things.

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 01:22 AM

I was referring to people in general, not me. (I feel no need to pray, thanks.)

Missileman
08-09-2010, 07:36 AM

As in you should ask for things that might come to pass anyways so you aren't always disappointed AND you get the added benefit of being able to fool yourself with "see...god really does exist".

namvet
08-09-2010, 07:57 AM
I think religion is alive and (more or less) well just about everywhere, namvet.

Besides, a lower percentage of people attend religious services regularly today than was the case a generation ago. That percentage has been steadily declining for the last century. If you want the source of that statistic, let me know and I'll go dig it up again.

they're building new church's all over my area. and in rual area's. many because the current one's have maxed out in capacity. so no evidence you produce can convince me otherwise.

I did not intend for this post to be political. but then on forums today nothing is sacred

08-09-2010, 11:44 AM
As in you should ask for things that might come to pass anyways so you aren't always disappointed AND you get the added benefit of being able to fool yourself with "see...god really does exist".

No, as in, you should ask for things, not to gratify your selfish desires, but to actually benefit others. Ask for things that are necessary, not just because you want something.

I've seen God answer prayers in improbably ways too many times to pretend as it doesnt happen.

08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I was referring to people in general, not me. (I feel no need to pray, thanks.)

Then why be surprised if God does answer prayers that are never spoken?

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 02:00 PM
they're building new church's all over my area. and in rual area's. many because the current one's have maxed out in capacity. so no evidence you produce can convince me otherwise.Then you might as well be posting on a blog. Not much point in coming to a discussion forum and saying something like, "All retards should be killed and no evidence you produce can convince me otherwise."

I did not intend for this post to be political. but then on forums today nothing is sacred
I hate to tell you this, but the Moral Majority made this topic political decades ago. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any going back.

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Then why be surprised if God does answer prayers that are never spoken?

Not that I'm surprised in the first place, but if God is omniscient and omnipotent, He certainly doesn't need to hear us pray out loud. Think about it.

All He has to do is instantaneously read all my thoughts and memories, and fetch a complete laundry list of everything I want, both selfish and altruistic.

Logically, prayer can not benefit God. It benefits only people, by making them feel better in a variety of ways. Which is fine, but it's not the only way we can feel more empowered and more connected to the cosmos.

namvet
08-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Then you might as well be posting on a blog. Not much point in coming to a discussion forum and saying something like, "All retards should be killed and no evidence you produce can convince me otherwise."

I hate to tell you this, but the Moral Majority made this topic political decades ago. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any going back.

your invincible now but like all of us someday you will face death. wait and make your decision then

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
your invincible now but like all of us someday you will face death. wait and make your decision then

At this point, I have no reason to suppose that anything comes after death besides oblivion. I'm not happy about that, but there's nothing I can do about it, either. So...I figure I might as well just not worry about it.
:popcorn:

-Cp
08-09-2010, 03:23 PM
no need to pray for flabby. its a lost cause. all liberals burn in hell anyway :laugh:

That's one of the most fucked-up things I've ever heard a "Christian" say..

-Cp
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Most folks will make that decision then:

"EVERY Knee will Bow and EVERY tongue will confess that HE is Lord"...

namvet
08-09-2010, 03:45 PM
That's one of the most fucked-up things I've ever heard a "Christian" say..

then your not a Christian. she just a cartoon character

namvet
08-09-2010, 03:46 PM

no most made it long before then.

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM

In Paul's opinion. (As he wrote in the epistle to the Romans.)

He hasn't been proved right or wrong yet.

revelarts
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM

it's my understanding that many European countries are nearly all secular except for a heavy Muslims population. I know girl that lived in Denmark for a couple of years and heard missionaries speak of Europe as thoroughly post Christian. And pretty much anti evangelical.

Yes there are still Bible believing Christians in Europe but there's no comparison to what Europe use to be a few hundred years ago.

the Us is sota heading in that direction more slowly with a serious kicking and screaming that I hope turns the tide.

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
it's my understanding that many European countries are nearly all secular except for a heavy Muslims population. I know girl that lived in Denmark for a couple of years and heard missionaries speak of Europe as thoroughly post Christian. And pretty much anti evangelical.

Yes there are still Bible believing Christians in Europe but there's no comparison to what Europe use to be a few hundred years ago.

the Us is sota heading in that direction more slowly with a serious kicking and screaming that I hope turns the tide.

Religion is desirable only when it benefits its adherents. If people see no benefit to practicing a given religion, that religion will and should die.

The Islamic fanaticism we're seeing in parts of the world today is very likely an attempt to fight back against this trend. In the long run, of course, it will fail.

revelarts
08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Religion is desirable only when it benefits its adherents. If people see no benefit to practicing a given religion, that religion will and should die.

The Islamic fanaticism we're seeing in parts of the world today is very likely an attempt to fight back against this trend. In the long run, of course, it will fail.

interesting reply, funny how some non believers have a pocket full of reasons why others do or don't believe.

"when it's of no more benefit" is not one that rolls out that often.

the real question really should be. Is the "religion" true? if it's true then how beneficial it's perceived to be is a secondary consideration.
If your dad has a million dollars but you don't believe it then it's really not gonna benefit you is it. If he dies and leave it a will for you. and you think it's BS and never claim it. still no benefit.

The perception of what is a benefit is is malleable and may be incorrect.

Islam is a somewhat a reaction but it's got it own motor too. you won't buy this but there are spiritual forces that play into people actions for good and ill.

Palin Rider
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
interesting reply, funny how some non believers have a pocket full of reasons why others do or don't believe.
All I'm doing is applying principles of psychology.

the real question really should be. Is the "religion" true? if it's true then how beneficial it's perceived to be is a secondary consideration.
If your dad has a million dollars but you don't believe it then it's really not gonna benefit you is it. If he dies and leave it a will for you. and you think it's BS and never claim it. still no benefit.
The second paragraph is another way of saying "perception is reality." It follows that if there is no perceived benefit to belonging to a religion, there is no real benefit, either.

you won't buy this but there are spiritual forces that play into people actions for good and ill.
Believe it or not, I agree. I just doubt that those spiritual forces have much of anything to do with specific rituals.

Abbey Marie
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM

So if we, as limited mortal beings, are unable to discern any "benefit" to God's (omniscient) reasons for our faith, religion should die? Spoken like one who simply cannot see any benefit, unless it is material and immediate. How hopelessly myopic.

Palin Rider
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
So if we, as limited mortal beings, are unable to discern any "benefit" to God's (omniscient) reasons for our faith, religion should die? Spoken like one who simply cannot see any benefit, unless it is material and immediate. How hopelessly myopic.

First, I never said that benefits had to be material. Billions of people derive comfort and serenity from their religion, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Benefit's don't necessarily have to be immediate, either, but if none are ever forthcoming, eventually even the most devoted will question and abandon their faith.