PDA

View Full Version : Portland lemonade stand runs into health inspectors, needs $120 license to operate

DragonStryk72
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
It's hardly unusual to hear small-business owners gripe about licensing requirements or complain that heavy-handed regulations are driving them into the red.

So when Multnomah County shut down an enterprise last week for operating without a license, you might just sigh and say, there they go again.

Except this entrepreneur was a 7-year-old named Julie Murphy. Her business was a lemonade stand at the Last Thursday monthly art fair in Northeast Portland. The government regulation she violated? Failing to get a $120 temporary restaurant license.

Turns out that kids' lemonade stands -- those constants of summertime -- are supposed to get a permit in Oregon, particularly at big events that happen to be patrolled regularly by county health inspectors.

"I understand the reason behind what they're doing and it's a neighborhood event, and they're trying to generate revenue," said Jon Kawaguchi, environmental health supervisor for the Multnomah County Health Department. "But we still need to put the public's health first."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/portland_lemonade_stand_runs_i.html

Okay, seriously? This was absolutely nuts. I don't think anyone on this sight is gonna be like, "Yes, that's an effective bit of governing right there"

To be fair, at least one politician realize how stupid it was, and stepped up

No need to jack up the price of a glass of lemonade. Turns out kids won't have to shell out $120 for a health permit to run their lemonade stands after all.

Multnomah County's top elected official apologized Thursday for health inspectors who forced a 7-year-old girl to shut down her stand last week because she didn't have a food-safety permit.

Chairman Jeff Cogen also said he has directed county health department workers to use "professional discretion" in doing their jobs.

Inspectors told Julie Murphy and her mother, Maria Fife, to stop selling lemonade at the monthly Last Thursday arts festival in Northeast Portland last week. State law technically requires that even lemonade stands have temporary restaurant licenses, which cost $120 for one day.

Cogen said the inspectors were "following the rule book," but should consider that food-safety laws are aimed at adults engaged in a professional food business, not kids running lemonade stands.

"A lemonade stand is a classic, iconic American kid thing to do," he said. "I don't want to be in the business of shutting that down."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/lemonade_stands_get_reprieve_m.html

Gaffer
08-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I hope someone took that inspector out back and beat the snot out of him.

Kathianne
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Let's hear it for the kid! :clap: When we were kids my brother, our friends, and myself came up with all sorts of ways to make money. Our earliest was a kool-aid stand. Yes, really! We started out at 2 cents a cup, by the time we were 7 we're selling same stuff for .15. We also sold candy, with a 50% mark up. Yes, we knew our neighbors!

I was 7 when I got a job putting IGA grocer flyers on door knobs. I had to roll and rubberband them. I earned $4 a week, which was much better than the .25 my allowance was.

Around 9 we spent the summer washing cars for our neighbors, one guy gave us $10, Mr. Plumery, I still think of you fondly, RIP. The rest, I think paid $3.

I think it was the same summer my best friend and I baked bread with my mom. It was SOOOO good. We decided to sell it. So we went around for about 5 blocks taking orders and collecting in advance. We made like 10 loaves and that was that. We forgot to write the names and addresses. :coffee:

We cut lawns and sold boxed cards from the comic book backs. Actually paid for a canoe trip to Canadian Waters back in jr. high with that money.

I left the world of self-employment at 14, got a waitress job (http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2010/40-Best-Chicago-Restaurants-Ever/). Really excellent money! #32 on the list from Chicago Magazine. ;)

namvet
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
for me it was mowing lawns. permits??? we never heard of it. these clowns never heard of free enterprise

Sweetchuck
08-06-2010, 07:40 PM
If those kids were smart, they'd sell dope on the street corner.

Better profit margin and nobody would bother them.