PDA

View Full Version : Obama Choppers Six Miles For Economy Comments

BoogyMan
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
The naked emperor speaks! I keep commenting on the tone deafness of The One, but this one takes the cake.

Link (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20012904-503544.html)

President Obama Friday flew Marine One from the White House less than six miles to Northwest D.C.

He choppered to Gelberg Signs, the Washington, D.C.-based company where he'll deliver remarks on the economy and July employment numbers. According to Google maps, the drive would have taken about 20 minutes from the White House.

By CBS News' Mark Knoller's count, this is the president's 300th flight on Marine One.

As to why the president choppered to a company in D.C., spokesman Bill Burton said, "Probably because it's an easier than a motorcade through the city in the middle of the day."

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 01:21 PM
The naked emperor speaks! I keep commenting on the tone deafness of The One, but this one takes the cake.

I can see criticism of Michelle's great Spanish vacation, but this is not out of the ordinary for Presidents. A 6 mile drive by POTUS screws up DC traffic tremendously.

Mr. P
08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I can see criticism of Michelle's great Spanish vacation, but this is not out of the ordinary for Presidents. A 6 mile drive by POTUS screws up DC traffic tremendously.

Yep, what she said..non-issue.

BoogyMan
08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I have to disagree for a trip that is just a few miles, especially one that is to talk about cutting back on excess. :)

Nukeman
08-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I have to disagree for a trip that is just a few miles, especially one that is to talk about cutting back on excess. :)

Hey smart guy..... That cutting back is just for the ignorant masses!!!!!! Those elected "elite" don't know the meaning of the word excess or sacrifice for that matter.....

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Anyone that has seen a Presidential motorcade realizes that it's a pain in the butt. There are at least 4 SUV, ambulances, police cars. With Obama in Chicago as often as he is, I can't imagine what it's like in DC. They also block traffic for 'dignitaries' from embassies. Nothing moves for several blocks, for several minutes before and after.

BoogyMan
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Anyone that has seen a Presidential motorcade realizes that it's a pain in the butt. There are at least 4 SUV, ambulances, police cars. With Obama in Chicago as often as he is, I can't imagine what it's like in DC. They also block traffic for 'dignitaries' from embassies. Nothing moves for several blocks, for several minutes before and after.

I am sure it is a pain, but in austere times one would think such arguably excessive measures would be ruled out.

For six miles it would seem a more prudent choice.

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I am sure it is a pain, but in austere times one would think such arguably excessive measures would be ruled out.

For six miles it would seem a more prudent choice.

I wonder how cost efficient really? All those SUVs, ambulances, police cars, then the officers to block all the intersections? Opposed to getting on helo with Secret Service agents and Marine?

Sweetchuck
08-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Ever drive in DC or anywhere near it?

Actually, the term "drive" is misleading. Idle and drift is more appropriate.

I have my issues with the guy, but this is one I have a hard time slamming him on.

I mean he's the fucking president for Christ's sake.