PDA

View Full Version : I'm certifiable!

jimnyc
08-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Diagnosed with bi-polar, even though family members disagree. Diagnosed with hypomania. Diagnosed with a sleep disorder. Because of these 3 I have been on plenty of medications over the past 5-6 years. My doctor gave me some verbal testing/questioning last month and finalized it this morning, and he now seems to believe I have ADD and has prescribed me Nuvigil.

I'm thinking these meds are too much maybe. I'm starting to think I'm a bank account for my doctor and the pharmaceutical companies. Think I should try another doctor to see what they diagnose and what they think of all the meds I'm on?

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Diagnosed with bi-polar, even though family members disagree. Diagnosed with hypomania. Diagnosed with a sleep disorder. Because of these 3 I have been on plenty of medications over the past 5-6 years. My doctor gave me some verbal testing/questioning last month and finalized it this morning, and he now seems to believe I have ADD and has prescribed me Nuvigil.

I'm thinking these meds are too much maybe. I'm starting to think I'm a bank account for my doctor and the pharmaceutical companies. Think I should try another doctor to see what they diagnose and what they think of all the meds I'm on?

It may sound weird, but the bi-polar and resulting personality disorders could be a manifestation of the ADD. I'd suggest you seek out an expert on adult diagnosed ADD, that could lead to being weaned off most or all medications. The doctor should be a neurologist, MD.

Mr. P
08-07-2010, 01:45 PM

So, what does the family say the problem is? They know you MUCH better than any Dr.

I think MOST people that see Psychologist/ Psychiatrist only need a good kick in the ass or smacked upside the head with a 2x4. Other than the few..it's a waste of $$ and doesn't address issues cuz now they're on a drug..not their fault right?

Just my 2 cents.

PS..IMO ADD is BULLSHIT across the board.

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 02:09 PM
So, what does the family say the problem is? They know you MUCH better than any Dr.

I think MOST people that see Psychologist/ Psychiatrist only need a good kick in the ass or smacked upside the head with a 2x4. Other than the few..it's a waste of $$ and doesn't address issues cuz now they're on a drug..not their fault right?

Just my 2 cents.

Actually ADD is NOT bullshit, but certainly over diagnosed by a huge degree. It's very easy for some to see normal boys as 'hyperactive' and drug them. It's also very wrong.

OTOH a small number of kids really cannot focus on nearly any task. Cannot handle multiple directions, etc. If picked up early, 'stimulants' might slow them down and give them the chance to focus. Slowing down is not confined to activities, but to their brains.

Diagnosing in adolescents is difficult and the meds are both addictive and at the age can cause depression and suicide. One of many reasons not to put off testing by neurologists, not some recommendation by a teacher and pediatrician.

Adults is very tricky as they've managed to cover up the differences through adaptations, often self-medicating. The sign posts are difficulty with interpersonal relations, holding a job, divorce, and obviously addictions. The one thing they do have going for them is their ability to find out about the problem and figure out if they need to seek out help.

jimnyc
08-07-2010, 02:23 PM
It may sound weird, but the bi-polar and resulting personality disorders could be a manifestation of the ADD. I'd suggest you seek out an expert on adult diagnosed ADD, that could lead to being weaned off most or all medications. The doctor should be a neurologist, MD.

I was just discussing this with my wife. I was thinking maybe it was something like ADD all along and maybe now I can be weaned off the drug store my body consumes daily.

Just my 2 cents.

MY family just thinks it's who I am and always was. But they also think being diagnosed with bi-polar is like being diagnosed as being retarded. They have no understanding of it and I think just don't want to believe I can have it.

And my Dad thinks exactly like you. He says I've had rough times throughout my life and the medicine is no different than drinking to solve your problems. He'd rather do the smacking as well. :)

Actually ADD is NOT bullshit, but certainly over diagnosed by a huge degree. It's very easy for some to see normal boys as 'hyperactive' and drug them. It's also very wrong.

OTOH a small number of kids really cannot focus on nearly any task. Cannot handle multiple directions, etc. If picked up early, 'stimulants' might slow them down and give them the chance to focus. Slowing down is not confined to activities, but to their brains.

Diagnosing in adolescents is difficult and the meds are both addictive and at the age can cause depression and suicide. One of many reasons not to put off testing by neurologists, not some recommendation by a teacher and pediatrician.

Adults is very tricky as they've managed to cover up the differences through adaptations, often self-medicating. The sign posts are difficulty with interpersonal relations, holding a job, divorce, and obviously addictions. The one thing they do have going for them is their ability to find out about the problem and figure out if they need to seek out help.

My diagnosis was more about attention and focus and certainly not about hyperactivity. I picked up the Nuvigil today and only took half, but am supposed to take one a day. He said to start with a half today to see how my body reacts to it. I feel like I drank an energy drink, but without the negative side effects. Very energetic, talkative, ambitious... if anything, I am now a little hyperactive.

Mr. P
08-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Think about it folks. Before Ritalin there was no ADD.
We all got along just fine too.

jimnyc
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM

That's what my wife said. She asked me what children and adults for the past 1000 years have done if they had this supposed disorder. I told her that they likely suffered with no help, she countered that they were fine with hard work, eating right and exercising. I don't like her right now. :)

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Nope, there were just boys out of control, didn't finish school, sent to jail or into the service.

There were infections before antibiotics, folks just got well or died.

There's a lot of things relating to brain and chemistry that we don't know.

Mr. P
08-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Nope, there were just boys out of control, didn't finish school, sent to jail or into the service.

There were infections before antibiotics, folks just got well or died.

There's a lot of things relating to brain and chemistry that we don't know.

EXACTLY..we don't know, what we seem to do in that field is "experiment".. Lobotomy, electric shock and now drugs.

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
EXACTLY..we don't know, what we seem to do in that field is "experiment".. Lobotomy, electric shock and now drugs.

And lots of people have benefited from those drugs. Electro-shock is still used, they just know how to do it better and call it by another name.

I hate meds and I'm certainly not the first to run to doctors, much less shrinks. That doesn't mean there aren't reasons to avail oneself when necessary. I don't see why one would make another feel 'whacked' for trying to find some answers, especially when they already know they are having problems with their lives.

Even if a long shot, one shouldn't just give up.

Nukeman
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Here's my problem with the ADD lable in the US. 95% of all ritalin in the WORLD is prescribed right here in the U S of A. Now you tell me that the US has an over abundance of ADD diagnosis or is it mostly just bullshit parents and teachers that don't want to deal with a active child. We used to have this thing called "recess" to get our energy out. Not anymore just give those overactive kids a pill to turn them into zombies.

I would also note that in the US the highest concentration of ritalin in the US is in soutwest Michigan and northern Indiana. Guess where that stuff is made.... Yep at Pharmacia/Upjohn in Kalamazoo MI. Makes one gom HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Kathianne
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Here's my problem with the ADD lable in the US. 95% of all ritalin in the WORLD is prescribed right here in the U S of A. Now you tell me that the US has an over abundance of ADD diagnosis or is it mostly just bullshit parents and teachers that don't want to deal with a active child. We used to have this thing called "recess" to get our energy out. Not anymore just give those overactive kids a pill to turn them into zombies.

I would also note that in the US the highest concentration of ritalin in the US is in soutwest Michigan and northern Indiana. Guess where that stuff is made.... Yep at Pharmacia/Upjohn in Kalamazoo MI. Makes one gom HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Over diagnosed? Certainly. Especially boys. Ritalin and adderall are used with younger kids, not so much adolescents and certainly not adults.

Palin Rider
08-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Hypomania is widely considered a milder form of bipolar, and either one of those would certainly explain a sleep disorder.

The biggest problem with these disorders is that there's no single correct regimen of meds for everyone: different people respond to the same dose in radically different ways.

If you know of any psychiatrists who also have a very strong background in psychopharmacology, and who aren't just pushing for the drug companies, it might be worth talking to one of them about experimenting with a simpler set of prescriptions.

Good luck.

chloe
08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I guess it's a chemical imbalance that thing runs on my moms side of the family, two aunts were diagnosed with it.

crin63
08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I had undiagnosed brain injuries from a high voltage electric shock. I was shuffled from psych doctor to psych doctor who all kept telling me that I was just depressed and/or suffering from PTSD because my IQ levels were still higher than average. I knew and know that I am not depressed. I knew something had happened to my brain but no one would listen until I finally had a PET Scan that showed the damage in 3 areas.

As well I knew that I was not suffering from PTSD. I had been through PTSD previously after an industrial accident where I had to assist with the aftermath. It was months before I could close my eyes without it putting me right back in that dark room again with the screaming or seeing the guy doing the tuna (he was having severe convulsions) with his skin peeled and hanging off the gurney.

Prior to the PET Scan the only 2 doctors that came close to getting it right were 2 out of the 3 Neuro-Psychologists I went too. 2/3 accuracy is not bad in the psych field.

Neuro-Psychologists do extensive testing in many areas of brain functioning and its combined with emotional issues as well. Where they made their mistake with me was diagnosing my being pissed off at constantly being called a liar for some form of depression.

I would recommend trying Neuro-Psychologists if you haven't tried that yet. Theirs is based on visual, auditory and hands on testing.

There is some speculation that ADD is associated with too much TV viewing. Kids who were babysat by the TV learned to have their attention grabbed every 7 seconds by the changing of the screen. What we have experienced in our church (as well as another church I am very familiar with) is that new people (kids or adults) cannot sit and focus for 45 minutes. It takes training and usually it means turning off the TV and reading books for entertainment instead. It takes a few months but they are able to regain focus and sit for 45 minutes to focus on the preaching.

My youngest son was an online gamer between High School and College until he found that gaming had taken away his ability to study because he couldn't focus like he used too. He immediately quit gaming and started reading books again. He tried to play HALO 2 or 3 on XBOX and found the same issue. So he quit that as well. He found out that living real life is far better than living life through a computer or game system.

Turn off the TV, shut down the computer (most of the time) and start reading books to see if that makes a difference.

Abbey Marie
08-09-2010, 04:39 PM

I wonder this same thing about Alzheimers. Didn't we all just call it senility before, and think it was kind of humorous that Grampa didn't quite know what he was doing? Now it's a full-blown disease complete with with meds.
:dunno::confused:

Kathianne
08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I wonder this same thing about Alzheimers. Didn't we all just call it senility before, and think it was kind of humorous that Grampa didn't quite know what he was doing? Now it's a full-blown disease complete with with meds.
:dunno::confused:

And yet, new medications are helping those with dementia like symptoms, stay cognizant longer, sometimes long enough that some other illness takes them away from their loved ones.

If it were your parent or yourself, wouldn't you want them more 'themselves' longer? If your child couldn't focus long enough to learn the academics to prepare themselves for a future or achieve their full potential, would you deny them the possibility?

It used to be that those suffering from epilepsy were considered possessed and put into mental asylums, would you do that to your child rather than have them on Felbatol or whatever is currently the most popular med for it?

gabosaurus
08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Jim, you would be surprised at how common your parents' opinion about bi-polar and other mental afflictions are. Many people equate manic depressive ailments as being "crazy" or "retarded."
Bi-polar is inherited. One of your parents was either bi-polar or manic depressive. They might not have ever admitted it or received treatment, but that doesn't they didn't have it.

Incorrect. There has always been ADD. It was simply never diagnosed. Just like so many other mental illnesses. Kids in the past have simply been labeled as "bad kids" or beaten senseless.
The reason why drugs such as Ritalin are overprescribed is because the drug industry controls American society. Politicians are bribed to approve drugs. Doctors are bribed to prescribe them. There is little oversight.

Nukeman
08-10-2010, 07:44 AM
The reason why drugs such as Ritalin are overprescribed is because the drug industry controls American society. Politicians are bribed to approve drugs. Doctors are bribed to prescribe them. There is little oversight.I have to disagree with you on this.. I think it has more to do with "parents" not wanting to deal with a difficult child so give them a majic pill. Schools as well are a major player in the overprescription of ADD meds. Teachers don't recieve training in how to deal with active kids soo they must have ADD just give them a pill and make them little zombies... You know it's all about how easy it is not what is "BEST" for the child.....

A lot of ADD can be handled with diet and stimulation such as extracaricular activities. Diet has a lot to do with how "busy" or "active" your children can be.....

LuvRPgrl
08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I have to disagree with you on this.. I think it has more to do with "parents" not wanting to deal with a difficult child so give them a majic pill. Schools as well are a major player in the overprescription of ADD meds. Teachers don't recieve training in how to deal with active kids soo they must have ADD just give them a pill and make them little zombies... You know it's all about how easy it is not what is "BEST" for the child.....

A lot of ADD can be handled with diet and stimulation such as extracaricular activities. Diet has a lot to do with how "busy" or "active" your children can be.....

Im willing to bet that a huge majority of kids diagnosed with ADD are from single parent households, or at least where the kids father isnt residing in the home, its no wonder boys are diagnosed with it much more than girls.
Boys need male discipline more than girls. Girls mature much quicker than boys.
However, I do agree with Kathianne, there are probably some legit cases out there, but I dont think drugs is the answer, but she is also right on stuff like the alzheimers meds, etc, etc

Nukeman
08-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Im willing to bet that a huge majority of kids diagnosed with ADD are from single parent households, or at least where the kids father isnt residing in the home, its no wonder boys are diagnosed with it much more than girls.
Boys need male discipline more than girls. Girls mature much quicker than boys.
However, I do agree with Kathianne, there are probably some legit cases out there, but I dont think drugs is the answer, but she is also right on stuff like the alzheimers meds, etc, etc
Ohh don't misunderstand me, there are definitely real and true casses of ADD ADHD just NOT the numbers our clinicians would have you believe...

No one wants to take the time anymore with active kids they want to lable them and put them on meds. Now public schools get MORE money for every child that has "special needs" that is one reason they are quick to jump on the ADD band wagon. More money all around for those difficult kids that have been drugged into little zombies........

We used to have this thing called "recess" and we had 3 of them.. One in the morning, one at lunch, and one in the afternoon. They were only about 15 min. but holy cow you could run a lot in those 15 min. and the teachers were able to get caught up on things through the day, instead of having these stupid "prep" days and half days they keep scheduling......

namvet
08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
sleep disorders:

Sleep problems, including snoring, sleep apnea, insomnia, sleep deprivation, and restless legs syndrome, are common among millions of Americans. It’s important to understand why sleep is necessary for optimal health, how the natural hormone melatonin affects sleep and wakefulness, and how the different states and stages of sleep impact sleep quality, quantity, and sleep dreams. source webmd

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea many years ago. which can be fatal. did a sleep study. they hooked me up to this damned CCAP machine which kept me awake!! but there was a surgical option which i took.

my wife mother has Alzheimer and she is afraid she'll get it to. to test herself she plays games online to test here skill and response time. think i need another PC since she takes hours.

meds: we are an over medicated society. primaries are nothing more than referrals today. to many docs to many meds = drug interactions. they really don't talk to each about this. make a drug list using MS word, print all the copies you need and take them with you. their gonna ask for it anyway.

Bipolar: jim if your family denys this get a second opinion.

ADD: doesn't Martin have a form of this??? might be worth a call. i have his number

Kathianne
08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
sleep disorders:

Sleep problems, including snoring, sleep apnea, insomnia, sleep deprivation, and restless legs syndrome, are common among millions of Americans. It’s important to understand why sleep is necessary for optimal health, how the natural hormone melatonin affects sleep and wakefulness, and how the different states and stages of sleep impact sleep quality, quantity, and sleep dreams. source webmd

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea many years ago. which can be fatal. did a sleep study. they hooked me up to this damned CCAP machine which kept me awake!! but there was a surgical option which i took.

my wife mother has Alzheimer and she is afraid she'll get it to. to test herself she plays games online to test here skill and response time. think i need another PC since she takes hours.

meds: we are an over medicated society. primaries are nothing more than referrals today. to many docs to many meds = drug interactions. they really don't talk to each about this. make a drug list using MS word, print all the copies you need and take them with you. their gonna ask for it anyway.

Bipolar: jim if your family denys this get a second opinion.

ADD: doesn't Martin have a form of this??? might be worth a call. i have his number

Martin has Asperger's.

namvet
08-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Martin has Asperger's.

oh that's right. i forgot

Kathianne
08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Ohh don't misunderstand me, there are definitely real and true casses of ADD ADHD just NOT the numbers our clinicians would have you believe...

No one wants to take the time anymore with active kids they want to lable them and put them on meds. Now public schools get MORE money for every child that has "special needs" that is one reason they are quick to jump on the ADD band wagon. More money all around for those difficult kids that have been drugged into little zombies........

We used to have this thing called "recess" and we had 3 of them.. One in the morning, one at lunch, and one in the afternoon. They were only about 15 min. but holy cow you could run a lot in those 15 min. and the teachers were able to get caught up on things through the day, instead of having these stupid "prep" days and half days they keep scheduling......

You are saying what I've been since the beginning of the thread. I also agree about recess, but in all honesty the schools I've taught in and the ones my kids have gone to, do have recess 3 times per day-15 morning, 30 lunch, 15 afternoon for kids gr k-3, gym at least 3 days per week. 4th and up, 1/2 hour at lunch and gym every day.

Truth is, MOST boys have trouble sitting in place for more than 10 minutes until about 5th grade. Most schools recognize that and truth to tell, kids move around the classrooms much more than ever was allowed when I was a student. A kid, usually male, that really has trouble sitting is often allowed to stand quietly at their desk or in the back of the room. Even with those types of accommodations however, there are some kids, not many, that just cannot focus within a quiet environment-with ADD they are not 'hyperactive' and all the activity in the world will not help them focus.

The ones with ADHD are most easy to get help for and respond most profoundly to med treatment. ADD on the other hand, not as easy to perceive and symptoms often are imperceptible, much like petit mal seizures.

In any case, I'd strongly urge a neurological doctor, not a pediatrician to be consulted. I also agree that all types of diet modifications and structured routines be tried, before ever considering meds.

gabosaurus
08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
My mom was an elementary school teacher for 25 years. She knows as much about this topic as anyone.
Kids with ADD come from ALL kinds of families. Boys and girls are similarly afflicted. Until recently, boys have been taught that it is OK for them to act out and be wild. It is all part of them being "boys." Girls have always been taught to be quiet. They have internalized much of what boys go through.
The study of mental illnesses is a relatively new one. That is why there are so many cases that are just being known.

Many mental illnesses are triggered by stress. Parents and kids are both more open to treatment in the present than in the past. Look at all the tragedies caused by those who snapped under pressure.

Kathianne
08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
My mom was an elementary school teacher for 25 years. She knows as much about this topic as anyone.
Kids with ADD come from ALL kinds of families. Boys and girls are similarly afflicted. Until recently, boys have been taught that it is OK for them to act out and be wild. It is all part of them being "boys." Girls have always been taught to be quiet. They have internalized much of what boys go through.
The study of mental illnesses is a relatively new one. That is why there are so many cases that are just being known.

Many mental illnesses are triggered by stress. Parents and kids are both more open to treatment in the present than in the past. Look at all the tragedies caused by those who snapped under pressure.

Teachers might be able to 'spot' ADD or ADHD, but certainly not diagnose it, too bad many teachers actually think they can. Their tolerance for activity may be high or low, nearly everyone can remember teachers that 'favored' boys or girls.

If ADD and ADHD are neuro related, then stress is not a primary cause. Stress may cause like symptoms, but meds are not going to address the issues.

Girls are not as active as boys, in general. Doesn't mean they do not like physical activity, but from birth-end they are not as physically active as boys-that IS neurological.

LuvRPgrl
08-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Girls are not as active as boys, in general. Doesn't mean they do not like physical activity, but from birth-end they are not as physically active as boys-that IS neurological.

Is that your opinion?
Seems to me, that from birth to about 7, girls are just as active. I have 5 girls and 2 boys, until age 7, girls were just as active.

Personally, until they can come up with a physical test to determine that a kid is hyperactive, I wont acknowledge any such diagnosis.

I KNOW I would have been labeled ADD or ADHD. Speaking of recess, I used to come off the playground and my teachers would be very concerned stating how red I looked and "over exertited" and told me I should slow it down. HA !!

But because I was able to burn the energy during and out of school, I did just fine.

TOday, parents, especially single parents, use the PC and video games to "babysit" their kids. Then, and since it is mostly boys who really get into the games, thcu sit around all the time playing vid games instead of burning energy, then when they are asked to focus on school stuff, they are itchy as hell, because they are being asked to focus on something that has many "delays" as compared to the vid games, which are non stop action and requiring constant attention to details.

If the kids can focus on vid games, then their issue isnt an inability to stay focused on something, its an issue of the adults are not discipling and training the the kids how to stay focused on something other than vid games.

the adults are simply lazy, or overworked and too tired to deal with it properly, so its easy to label them ADD and give them drugs.

Its odd how both my boys were labeled ADD, OR ADHD, and they "couldnt " focus on anything when they were with their moms or at school, but when they were with me, they certainly were able to stay focused on things. Partly because I didnt allow them to play vid games.

I made them go outside. They would bitch that it is boring and there is nothing to do at first, but then after about 15 minutes, they along with their sisters would start getting creative and find things to do and they would have a blast.

Energy burned, ability to focus increased.

But hey, who am I? My oldest son moved from colorado and his mom to be near me. We have a very close relationship, he has disowned his mom. Basically the same with my oldest daughter. As adults now, they appreciate what I did when they were kids and worked outside the box, and contrary to what all the experts say. In fact, now they say they wish I would have had primary custody of them.

As for my little tots right now, they are closer to me than their mom, even though I spank them, and she doesnt.

But hey, who am I?

Just a parent with the experience of raising 7 kids, all of whom are healthy and happy, and none are drug addicts, anti social, high school drop outs, or homosexuals.

But hey, who am I?

Said1
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I guess it's a chemical imbalance that thing runs on my moms side of the family, two aunts were diagnosed with it.
I have a B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia) that has caused me SO much grief, who knew taking vitamins was that important (my case shots). Back in the 'day', people used to get shut in the nuthouse from this! Phew. :laugh:

namvet
08-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I had Hernia surgery back in early may. everyone told me don't worry. in and out. no problem

that's was the most pain i ever had in my life !!!!!

Sweetchuck
08-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I suffer from having very large balls.

namvet
08-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I suffer from having very large balls.

can you throw em over your shoulder like a continental soldier???