PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gibbs Attacks Liberals

red states rule
08-11-2010, 04:48 AM
It is clear the White House does not like being criticized by the right or the LEFT

This should do wonders to turn out the liberal vote in November

In an interview published Tuesday in the Hill newspaper, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs let rip his frustration at "liberal naysayers" who have criticized President Obama's policies as being insufficiently left wing. "I hear these people saying he's like George Bush. Those people ought to be drug tested," Gibbs said. "I mean, it's crazy."

The Obama administration has been faulted by the left for the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a lack of a public option in the health care reform package, not yet having closed the prison at Guantanamo Bay, a financial regulation reform bill deemed not aggressive enough, stalled efforts on climate change legislation and for being perceived as not supportive enough on gay rights issues, including same-sex marriage, the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and federal funding for HIV and AIDS programs.

The White House, for its part, appeared to be baffled by claims it has not pursued an aggressive strategy. "There's 101 things we've done," said Gibbs in the Hill interview, citing Iraq and health care.

Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton echoed this message in a press conference later on Tuesday, but insisted that outside criticism was not taken too seriously inside the White House:

"When you look at some of this things this administration has been able to do from ending the combat mission in Iraq to comprehensive health care reform, to equal pay, to financial regulatory reform, to what we're doing today to save 160,000 teacher jobs -- is there ever some frustration from anyone who works in this building about the way it's being covered? Sure. But that doesn't distract us from the serious work we have to do."

The White House seemed to be of the view that what Gibbs termed the "professional left" -- pundits and left wing media -- was not representative of progressives who helped elect Obama. According to the Hill, Gibbs said that, "Progressives are the liberals outside of Washington 'in America,' and they are grateful for what Obama has accomplished." Burton reiterated this, saying, "I think you have to separate out what folks say on cable TV from what progressives around the country think about how things are going."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/08/10/white-house-spokesman-robert-gibbs-bashes-liberal-naysayers-wh/

HogTrash
08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
And now he's obediently eating his words.

An obvious lack of character and conviction.

red states rule
08-11-2010, 06:20 PM
And now he's obediently eating his words.

An obvious lack of character and conviction.

Not so fast

Gibbs Stands By His 'Professional Left' Critique, Expects Liberals To Vote In 2010

Speaking publicly for the first time since he disparaged the "professional left," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said he stands by his comments, has no plans to resign and that he fully expects progressive voters to go to the polls in 2010.

"I don't plan on leaving and there is no truth to the rumor that I've added an inflatable exit to my office," the press secretary said during Wednesday's briefing, referencing the recent incident in which a Jet Blue flight attendant bolted his plane in frustration.

Taking the podium after a day off to tend to a sore throat, Gibbs said he has not reached out to any Democrats to discuss his remarks, in which he chastised liberals for wanting to "eliminate the Pentagon" and pursue Canadian-style health care reform. Nor, he added, has he talked to the president about the matter.

Does he stand by the comments? "Yes," he replied.

It was suggested that the remarks may have been part of a cynical strategy to depict the White House as not beholden to the progressive base. But the press secretary insisted that there was nothing underhanded in his interview with The Hill. He had said what he said in a bout of frustration.

"There are many time when I read the transcripts... that I could have said things slightly differently. I watch lot of cable TV and you don't have to watch long to get frustrated by some of what's said."

As for remorse, however, little was offered. Gibbs noted that the president has achieved many of the objectives that he had pledged on the campaign trail, insinuating that he isn't getting enough credit for these accomplishments. The frustration came from there but the sentiments aren't wholly unique.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/11/gibbs-stands-by-his-profe_n_678811.html

HogTrash
08-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Not so fastActually, I believe we are both correct.

Gibbs is a phoney who says whatever is politically expediant according to who he is talking to.

Robert Gibbs used humor today to try to defuse the spat with liberals stirred up by his critique of the "professional left."

Asked about suggestions he should consider resigning, Gibbs said he did not plan to leave. He then added what was clearly a scripted joke, a reference to the flight attendant who slid to freedom earlier this week: "There's no truth to the rumor that I've added an inflatable exit to my office."

It got a laugh, but it didn't stop the questions.

Pressed, Gibbs blamed his comments on frustration: "I will say, you know, I watch a lot of cable TV, and you don't have to watch long to get frustrated by some of what's said. And I think that's what that answer was born out of."

Asked if it was a mistake or something he said in error, he avoided a direct answer and said, again, that it was born of frustration.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20013389-503544.html

red states rule
08-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Actually, I believe we are both correct.

Gibbs is a phoney who says whatever is politically expediant according to who he is talking to.

It is fun to watch

Libs are pissed off when Gibbs tells the truth about them, but they do not say a word when Gibbs lies about the Tea Party members, and conservatives

Let them keep fighting with each other all the way up to Nov 2