PDA

View Full Version : Switched to Firefox --- wish me luck

KarlMarx
08-11-2010, 04:55 AM
After several months of suffering with IE8, I decided to switch to Firefox. I heard that it is more secure and does not have all the problems that IE 8 has.

Some of the things that IE8 did that annoyed me...

1. It would regularly freeze on web pages. I have a Google home page with news and other gadgets (including an RSS feed to my favorite message board.. hint.. hint)... loading that sometimes would be enough to cause my session to freeze indefinitely.

2. More than once, printing web pages turned into a major effort. Again, because IE8 froze.

3. I read that IE8 is not very secure while Firefox is. I've been hit several times either with viruses or malware/adware.

I tried Firefox before but I switched back because of problems. For instance, the work website I use requires IE to work properly.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Kathianne
08-11-2010, 04:58 AM
After several months of suffering with IE8, I decided to switch to Firefox. I heard that it is more secure and does not have all the problems that IE 8 has.

Some of the things that IE8 did that annoyed me...

1. It would regularly freeze on web pages. I have a Google home page with news and other gadgets (including an RSS feed to my favorite message board.. hint.. hint)... loading that sometimes would be enough to cause my session to freeze indefinitely.

2. More than once, printing web pages turned into a major effort. Again, because IE8 froze.

3. I read that IE8 is not very secure while Firefox is. I've been hit several times either with viruses or malware/adware.

I tried Firefox before but I switched back because of problems. For instance, the work website I use requires IE to work properly.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Between Safari and Firefox I've not had any problems with freezing. Then again, I switched to Mac.

I'd keep IE for work and use Firefox for everything else.

darin
08-11-2010, 05:21 AM
I use SRWare at home - it's like a spy/ad-free version of Chrome. Love it.

Gaffer
08-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Best to use IE only for work. I have used FF for about five years now. It blocks pop up pages, has it's own firewall and I have never known it to freeze up. All my other programs work well with it. I have Google Chrome as well but have not used it much. I'm comfortable with FF. To help keep things running smooth check out Advanced System Care.

crin63
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I've been using Firefox for 5-6 years now and have never went back to I.E.. I've never had any problems with it that I can remember.

In the beginning I had to use I.E. for some applications but that hasn't been the case in a few years.

KarlMarx
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I came home from work and started using Firefox. First thing I noticed was that my Google homepage loaded quicker than on IE (without freezing). The second thing I noticed was that, I don't need the Google toolbar spell check any longer! Firefox automatically spell checks posts as I type, which I find a very nice feature.

Noir
08-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Firefox is prob the best browser aslong as you don't overload it with apps. Though I mainly use Safari (as I've a mac) and Chrome for some bits and bobs.

Sweetchuck
08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I switched to Firefox years ago, best online move I ever made.

Microsoft sucks, it's what you get with a monopoly.

Trinity
08-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I have Firefox and Google chrome, personally I prefer Google Chrome however Firefox is a really good browser too. IE anything sucks!

One question you don't buy any chance use IE6 for work do you???

KarlMarx
08-13-2010, 04:49 AM
I have Firefox and Google chrome, personally I prefer Google Chrome however Firefox is a really good browser too. IE anything sucks!

One question you don't buy any chance use IE6 for work do you???
No, we use IE 7 at work. That is part of the standard PC image. Most users at work can't upgrade to IE8 or install Firefox on our own because we don't have administrator privileges (that was done to prevent the spread of viruses)

I heard mention of a pilot program for IE8 but no one I know of at work has it yet.

BTW... day 3 with Firefox, so far, no problems.

KarlMarx
08-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Firefox is prob the best browser aslong as you don't overload it with apps. Though I mainly use Safari (as I've a mac) and Chrome for some bits and bobs.

I limit the number of applications that I install on my machine and, unless there is a good reason not to, accept the default settings when I do install.

My machine has Office, Quicken, iTunes and Weatherbug (which isn't needed now because they have a Google gadget) and that's it.

The only thing I installed on my browser was the Google toolbar, because of its spell checker. Firefox has this capability built in, so that's no longer needed.

Trinity
08-13-2010, 06:42 AM
I limit the number of applications that I install on my machine and, unless there is a good reason not to, accept the default settings when I do install.

My machine has Office, Quicken, iTunes and Weatherbug (which isn't needed now because they have a Google gadget) and that's it.

The only thing I installed on my browser was the Google toolbar, because of its spell checker. Firefox has this capability built in, so that's no longer needed.

You might want to uninstall weatherbug that's ad-ware.

KarlMarx
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
You might want to uninstall weatherbug that's ad-ware.
I forgot to mention that I installed Spyware Doctor and McAfee Anti-virus, too. Between those two, Weatherbug was un-installed for me