PDA

View Full Version : Canada: Man convicted of reckless driving because of the INTERNET

darin
08-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Holy crap folk - are the good people of canada going to support their government doing this kind of thing? Of course they will...they obey their government w/o question. :(

Man convicted of careless driving after bragging about speeding on website

The Canadian Press

VAUGHAN, Ont. — Police say a BMW driver who bragged about his speeding on a social networking site was later convicted on careless driving charges.

York Regional Police say Vladimir Rigenco, 19, of Vaughan, Ont., is banned from driving for six months and sentenced to 12 months probation after he entered a guilty plea.

He must also complete a remedial driving program and pay a fine of $1,000.

More: http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100810/100810_bragging/20100810/?hub=CP24Home

Palin Rider
08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Supporting your government for punishing someone who pleads guilty?!? :eek:

OMG! Oh Noes! It's the first sign of the apocalypse! :tinfoil:

darin
08-19-2010, 03:48 AM
Here's how I explained it to my 8 year old - maybe it'll help you?

A Guy posts stuff online...the Police shake him down until he pleads guilty...

LiberalNation
08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
if he's innocent and could prove it he wouldn't have plead guilty.

You shouldn't really post your criminal activity online......

darin
08-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Do you think Canada offers "innocent until proven guilty"?

LiberalNation
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
dunno but they offer trials before you are convicted. Prove your innocence there.

jimnyc
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM
dunno but they offer trials before you are convicted. Prove your innocence there.

Suppose you get a speeding ticket you disagree with. Do you expect the state to prove you were speeding, or can you somehow prove to them you weren't speeding?

LiberalNation
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
ever watch speed court, people try and prove they aren't speeding all the time and get knocked down when a cop shows up with proof they were.

jimnyc
08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Supporting your government for punishing someone who pleads guilty?!? :eek:

OMG! Oh Noes! It's the first sign of the apocalypse! :tinfoil:

ever watch speed court, people try and prove they aren't speeding all the time and get knocked down when a cop shows up with proof they were.

In other words, they were likely considered innocent until the "state" showed up with proof of their guilt.

Also, unless I missed something, where does it say he "plead guilty"? I thought it read that he was convicted, which meant he went before a judge or jury in my mind.

darin
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
The whole point is the Orwelian nature of this thing....folks reading on the interwebs - started the prosecution.

It's scary.

Mr. P
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Holy crap folk - are the good people of canada going to support their government doing this kind of thing? Of course they will...they obey their government w/o question. :(

Man convicted of careless driving after bragging about speeding on website

The Canadian Press

VAUGHAN, Ont. — Police say a BMW driver who bragged about his speeding on a social networking site was later convicted on careless driving charges.

York Regional Police say Vladimir Rigenco, 19, of Vaughan, Ont., is banned from driving for six months and sentenced to 12 months probation after he entered a guilty plea.

He must also complete a remedial driving program and pay a fine of $1,000.

More: http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100810/100810_bragging/20100810/?hub=CP24Home

Just this week I heard of a young mother (19) in Fla that posted pics of her baby/toddler with a Bong on Facebook. The local police nailed her for drug paraphernalia. I haven't heard anything else about it.

Palin Rider
08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
In other words, they were likely considered innocent until the "state" showed up with proof of their guilt.

Also, unless I missed something, where does it say he "plead guilty"? I thought it read that he was convicted, which meant he went before a judge or jury in my mind.

You did miss something: it's in the second line of the news article.

Trigg
08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

If you've ever gotten a speeding ticket you would know that the only proof they really need is the policeman's WORD that you were speeding.

They are trained to recognize speeders, at least that is what the judge told hubby when the police could not provide proof from a radar gun.

Trigg
08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Just this week I heard of a young mother (19) in Fla that posted pics of her baby/toddler with a Bong on Facebook. The local police nailed her for drug paraphernalia. I haven't heard anything else about it.

A bong is paraphernalia.

Saying you were speeding on line is bragging, and he could easily have been lying.

I'm surprised he pled guilty since the police have absolutely NO PROOF other than bragging on line. Maybe they went back and looked at cameras??????? Although the article doesn't mention that.

revelarts
08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
hmm

darin
08-26-2010, 03:11 PM
A bong is paraphernalia.

Saying you were speeding on line is bragging, and he could easily have been lying.

I'm surprised he pled guilty since the police have absolutely NO PROOF other than bragging on line. Maybe they went back and looked at cameras??????? Although the article doesn't mention that.

A large portion of canada is fine with fascism.

Noir
08-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Idiot.