PDA

View Full Version : Rage Against the Machine - "They (Bush) should be tried and hung and shot"

-Cp
05-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Rage Against the Machine rages at Coachella music festival
By SOLVEJ SCHOU Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 04/30/2007 04:41:19 AM PDT

INDIO, Calif- Thousands of sunburnt fans roared in unison and pumped their fists in the desert air Sunday night as reunited political rockers Rage Against the Machine took the stage at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.
Grinning, lead singer-rapper Zack de la Rocha pumped his fist along with them.

Seven years after the quartet broke up following de la Rocha's departure, the band returned with a vengeance to close out the three-day festival east of Palm Springs.

Stomping, shouting into his microphone, grabbing his curly hair and inciting the audience to "keep fighting," de la Rocha powered through songs ranging from the bass heavy "Bulls on Parade" to the anthem "Killing in the Name."

He also railed against the war in Iraq and likened Bush administration officials to Nazi war criminals.

"This current administration is no exception. They should be tried and hung and shot," he said.

Drummer Brad Wilk, bassist Tim Commerford and guitarist Tom Morello, who wore a hat with the word "UNITY" on it, completed the lineup.

"They changed my life. They made me a liberal," said sweat-drenched history teacher Rafael Ramon, 25, who had waited in a crowd packed shoulder-to-shoulder in front of the stage all day.

"All of America needed Rage to come back. They've been missing," he said.

The band last played the festival during its first year in 1999.

An estimated 180,000 people attended the festival over the three days but police said there were few problems.

Fewer than 100 people were arrested, most of them for investigation of drug or alcohol use, and there were a couple reports of people being treated for drug overdoses, Indio police spokesman Ben Guitron said early Monday morning.

Triple-digit temperatures on Saturday also led to some cases of heat exhaustion, he said.

"Overall, the event was beautiful...no significant incidents or challenges," he said.

Local police were aided by those from surrounding departments and by private security, he said.

Anticipation for Rage started building Saturday, when Morello performed a solo act of protest songs as the Nightwatchman.

Morello wore a harmonica and swapped his standard electric guitar for an acoustic with the words "whatever it takes" scrawled on it.

He dedicated tunes to "rebel girls and women," unions, farm workers and the audience.

Other Sunday highlights were country music veteran Willie Nelson, performing a day before his 74th birthday, and reunited rock band Crowded House.

On Saturday, Los Angeles hip-hop fusion ensemble Ozomatli provided one of the most energetic of the festival, with band members calling out to the audience in both English and Spanish.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined Saturday.

Singer Anthony Kiedis, sporting a mustache and wearing a black vest and fingerless gloves, raced around the stage, zipping past bare-chested bassist Flea and guitarist John Frusciante.

"Out of all the bands playing, I wanted to see them the most!" said Nicole McMachen, 21, who danced ferociously to the music with her fiance, Dustin Palmer, 21.

McMachen said she planned to get lyrics for the song "Snow (Hey Oh)" tattooed onto her arm.

Flea, known for his giddy stage outbursts, expressed the opposite of rage to the audience.

"Everything is beautiful," he yelled out. "Love and peace is in all our hearts."

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_5784517?nclick_check=1

-Cp
05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
er.. here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZlCaneDAd8&NR=1

What a sad piece of human garbage...

Pale Rider
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Fuck 'em.... morons.

Hagbard Celine
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Rage is a pretty rad band. I used to rock out to them in highschool. Are they getting back together? I thought the lead singer was dead.

gabosaurus
05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Of course, you are missing the point. The RATM voice is stating that Bush is a war criminal, and should be tried as one. Makes sense to me.

05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Of course, you are missing the point. The RATM voice is stating that Bush is a war criminal, and should be tried as one. Makes sense to me.

Yes, of course it makes sense. We should take foreign policy cues from bands. That makes so much sense.

gabosaurus
05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
He has his point, you have your point.

Pale Rider
05-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes, of course it makes sense. We should take foreign policy cues from bands. That makes so much sense.

Signed, sealed and deliverd. You OWN gabby with that comment avatar. Outstanding.

lily
05-01-2007, 05:45 PM
With all due respect CP and PR, if you don't like their message, then don't buy their CDs, but I doubt if you're going to buy them anyway. Free speech is still allowed last time I checked the Patriot Act hasn't taken that away yet.

Pale Rider
05-01-2007, 05:48 PM
With all due respect CP and PR, if you don't like their message, then don't buy their CDs, but I doubt if you're going to buy them anyway. Free speech is still allowed last time I checked the Patriot Act hasn't taken that away yet.

Respect noted. But avatar's reponse in no way indicated we either support this looney left band, or wanted to sensor them. Avatar's post did however, point out the shallowness of idiocrasy of gabby's post.

lily
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Respect noted. But avatar's reponse in no way indicated we either support this looney left band, or wanted to sensor them. Avatar's post did however, point out the shallowness of idiocrasy of gabby's post.

Point taken.

krisy
05-01-2007, 08:14 PM

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Don't forget Rosie also knows about these things(running the country that is).:coffee:

Gunny
05-01-2007, 08:34 PM

No one's missing the point. Nothing better than this tripe is expected of Californians and/or moron bands making political statements.

MtnBiker
05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Seems like a feeble attempt of a has been band to reenter the spotlight.

loosecannon
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Seems like a feeble attempt of a has been band to reenter the spotlight.

dixie chicks

manu1959
05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
one hit wonders with political advice.....

darin
05-02-2007, 07:28 AM

What about hate-speech? Hate-speech and/or hate-crime legislation removes the concept of "Free Speech" from the citizens of this nation, and other nations. If what that guy said is not 'hate-speech' I dunno what is.

Abbey Marie
05-02-2007, 10:12 AM

I'm sure Don Imus will be pleased to hear this.

darin
05-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I wonder how many riots and Speeches and lectures we'd have to endure by "Minority" Leaders if he'd said the Rutgers Women's BBall Team should be hung and shot?"

Is "Nappy-headed Ho" WORSE than calling for another's death?

Hagbard Celine
05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I wonder how many riots and Speeches and lectures we'd have to endure by "Minority" Leaders if he'd said the Rutgers Women's BBall Team should be hung and shot?"

Is "Nappy-headed Ho" WORSE than calling for another's death?

No, it's not. You're right. I've made this point before concerning the shooting of illegal border crossers as well as gays, liberals, women, etc. with certain unnamed posters on this board.

lily
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
What about hate-speech? Hate-speech and/or hate-crime legislation removes the concept of "Free Speech" from the citizens of this nation, and other nations. If what that guy said is not 'hate-speech' I dunno what is.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Is it hate speech just because it was said about Bush? Honestly anser this question, would you consider it hate speech if it was said against Pelosi, Reid or Murtha?

lily
05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm sure Don Imus will be pleased to hear this.

.......and? Imus had every right to say what he did and they had every right to fire him. It's the same priciple, The sponsers were pulling their advertisment. I don't care much for him, but the man apologized every which way but up. It's a sad way to end such a long career, but I'd fight for his right to say it, just as I'd fight for Rage Against the Machine to say what they did.

Abbey Marie
05-03-2007, 01:04 PM
.......and? Imus had every right to say what he did and they had every right to fire him. It's the same priciple, The sponsers were pulling their advertisment. I don't care much for him, but the man apologized every which way but up. It's a sad way to end such a long career, but I'd fight for his right to say it, just as I'd fight for Rage Against the Machine to say what they did.

and... it was libs like Sharpton who called for his firing. Not much regard for free speech there.

darin
05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I can't tell if you're serious or not. Is it hate speech just because it was said about Bush? Honestly anser this question, would you consider it hate speech if it was said against Pelosi, Reid or Murtha?

It's hate-speech because it's advocating killing of an innocent person based on prejudices, ignorance, and fear. I can't think of credible conservatives who WISH DEATH upon Pelosi (just vocal-chord tumors, rendering her silent).

lily
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
and... it was libs like Sharpton who called for his firing. Not much regard for free speech there.

.......and Sharpton was also exercising his right to free speech. Imus wasn't fired because of what Sharpton said, he was fired because the sponsers didn't like what he said and they were also exercising their right to put their money where they wanted. Also from what I understand, they asked the employees how they felt and took that into consideration also. They were exercising thier right to an opinion.

Do I win some sort of prize for using exercising so many times in a paragaph??

lily
05-03-2007, 11:59 PM
It's hate-speech because it's advocating killing of an innocent person based on prejudices, ignorance, and fear. I can't think of credible conservatives who WISH DEATH upon Pelosi (just vocal-chord tumors, rendering her silent).

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I don't consider it hate speech, you do. I guess it really doesn't matter, because both are allowed under the constitution.

Psychoblues
05-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Tried and hung and shot? Isn't that rather redundant? I would rather it be tried and hung or tried and shot but I don't think "hung and shot" can be interpreted as anything more than a political statement or possibly the voice of modern entertainment.