PDA

View Full Version : Federal Union Buys Radio Ads To Counter Rush Limbaugh

red states rule
08-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Now the union thugs are upset Rush had the gall to tell the truth about them

The nation's largest federal worker union is taking to the airwaves to defend rank and file federal workers against growing anti-government sentiments.

The American Federation of Government Employees plans to spend about $200,000 to air a 60-second radio ad in more than 30 markets, including Washington and several Southern cities, according to a spokeswoman. (See the full list of cities below.)

The ad stars AFGE President John Gage and workers from the Bureau of Prisons, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Social Security Administration, telling listeners to "trust me" as they carry out their work.

"Some polls say Americans don't trust government, but listen to our members, the real people who work hard for you everyday," Gage says at the start.

A correctional officer at the Supermax prison in Florence, Colo. tells listeners: "Trust me, the terrorists are locked down tight."

A Social Security claims representative from Ft. Lauderdale says, "Senior citizens can trust me to get them the right check at the right time."

And a Veterans Affairs registered nurse tells listeners, "I care for veterans like family."

"You can trust us, we work for you," Gage says at the end.

The ad is the AFGE's attempt to humanize federal workers and remind listeners that proposals to cut federal spending and federal jobs would be irresponsible. The union will spend $200,000 to air the ad in more than 30 markets, primarily on news/talk, Country and sports talk radio stations in the South, according to a spokeswoman.

“We want people to know what those irresponsible ploys really mean," Gage said in a statement announcing the ad buy. "They mean reductions in social security for our seniors. They mean reduced services for our veterans. And, they mean fewer guards at our federal prisons. The men and women of the federal service are not nameless, faceless bureaucrats. They’re what hold our nation together."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/08/new_radio_ads_tout_federal_wor.html

darin
08-12-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm a federal worker, and the AGFE is NOT a group of 'union thugs'. See, nobody working for the fed MUST join and pay dues. That makes the union good. If we decide to pay dues, it's $14 per pay period.

The message from the employees in that commercial is spot-on. The federal government is chock-FULL of people who absolutely CARE. The federal Government's problem is the piss-poor decisions and outside-the-constitution actions of Elected officials.

Now - it's true the union loves having members, so will rally against ANY cuts. As the commander of the Installation Management Command says "...we have too much money and too many people"

PostmodernProphet
08-12-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't think that's the issue, dmp.....the issue is whether the public, including the union membership, trusts Gage...."union thugs" doesn't refer to the rank and file.......it refers to the operatives, particularly the political operatives.....

red states rule
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm a federal worker, and the AGFE is NOT a group of 'union thugs'. See, nobody working for the fed MUST join and pay dues. That makes the union good. If we decide to pay dues, it's $14 per pay period.

The message from the employees in that commercial is spot-on. The federal government is chock-FULL of people who absolutely CARE. The federal Government's problem is the piss-poor decisions and outside-the-constitution actions of Elected officials.

Now - it's true the union loves having members, so will rally against ANY cuts. As the commander of the Installation Management Command says "...we have too much money and too many people"

The union thugs are the hit men they send out to keep "order" in the streets, and the ones you see on TV demanding more tax dollars to bail them out

I watch unions spend tens of millions on radio ads and political races - while they demand tax dollars to bailout their pension plans