PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Apps Highest Since February

Kathianne
08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
More change, no hope:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-claims-for-unemployment-apf-3180551258.html?x=0&.v=1

Jobs picture dims as unemployment claims rise
Jobs picture darkens as new unemployment claims rise to 484K, highest level since February

Christopher S. Rugaber, AP Economics Writer, On Thursday August 12, 2010, 11:27 am
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The employment picture is looking bleaker as applications for jobless benefits rose last week to the highest level in almost six months.

It's a sign that hiring is weak and employers are still cutting their staffs.

First-time claims for jobless benefits edged up by 2,000 to a seasonally adjusted 484,000, the Labor Department said Thursday. Analysts had expected a drop. That's the highest total since February.

Initial claims have now risen in three of the last four weeks and are close to their high point for the year of 490,000, reached in late January. The four-week average, which smooths volatility, soared by 14,250 to 473,500, also the highest since late February...

KarlMarx
08-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Fact #1: Obama is a fool
Fact #2: Anyone who voted for Obama is a bigger fool
Fact #3: Anyone who votes Democrat in Novemeber should be examined by a doctor for brain damage

Noir
08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Is there a break down of how many of these unemployed have been forced out of the private sector as apose to the public sector?

Kathianne
08-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Is there a break down of how many of these unemployed have been forced out of the private sector as apose to the public sector?

Just released today, so unlikely. More jobs are being created in government, but not enough to offset the loss in private. All levels of government have been hiring, even in states that are deeply in debt, like IL over $13 B and climbing.

Not a sustainable trend, since it's private that pays for the public.

Noir
08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Just released today, so unlikely. More jobs are being created in government, but not enough to offset the loss in private. All levels of government have been hiring, even in states that are deeply in debt, like IL over $13 B and climbing.

Not a sustainable trend, since it's private that pays for the public.

Okie dokes, I was going to lead on from that to say that aslong as the majority of the jobs were being lost in the public sector then the figures are not as bad as they apear, rising unemployment is obviously unwanted, but falling unemployment through superficial public sector job creation is much worse.

Kathianne
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Okie dokes, I was going to lead on from that to say that aslong as the majority of the jobs were being lost in the public sector then the figures are not as bad as they apear, rising unemployment is obviously unwanted, but falling unemployment through superficial public sector job creation is much worse.

http://i36.tinypic.com/f1lj4h.png

http://i34.tinypic.com/2dadttl.png

Since the beginning of the recession (roughly January 2008), some 7.9 million jobs were lost in the private sector while 590,000 jobs were gained in the public one. And since the passage of the stimulus bill (February 2009), over 2.6 million private jobs were lost, but the government workforce grew by 400,000.

and when looking at costs/benefits a worse picture emerges:

http://innovationandgrowth.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/the-growing-gap-between-govt-and-private-sector-benefits/

Trigg
08-12-2010, 01:36 PM
That graph is very depressing Kathianne.

Hospitals are usually pretty recession proof, afterall, people still gets sick even if they don't have a job.

This time though things are getting depressing. We're short staffed and they're still asking people to leave early and use PTO. At hubbies hospital and mine, they aren't firing anyone, simply not replacing people who retire.

Biden's "summer of recovery" is a flop as far as I can see.

Palin Rider
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
On the bright side...

The fanatical right wing can no longer claim that it's your own fault if you're unemployed.

Kathianne
08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
On the bright side...

The fanatical right wing can no longer claim that it's your own fault if you're unemployed.

and that's a great thing, right Noir?

Palin Rider
08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
and that's a great thing, right Noir?

Not that I'm Noir, but at least it's an improvement.

Kathianne
08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Not that I'm Noir, but at least it's an improvement.

Right you are, you will get along with him. :laugh2: My apologies to you both.

08-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Sad, but sadly not unexpected. Not by anyone paying attention at least.

These policies are unsustainable. We need to stop with the partisanship and realize that all of us are royaly screwed if these policies keep destroying businesses.

Agnapostate
08-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Mainstream economic policy has the capacity to temporarily stabilize the business cycle, and a decrease in unemployment is a facet of that. It will occur, though the end consequence is simply that people are lulled into a false sense of security.