PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shit This Board is Slow

glockmail
08-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Every click is followed by a hesitation. Even the scrolling is slow. And not on any other site just this one, and for three times in that last few weeks. I suspect admin discouraging me from posting. :lame2:

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Slow for me too since the final changes were made. Worked fine before that.

red states rule
08-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I am not having any issues at all

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Works 100% fine for me and the majority of the board. Those with older computers, and outdated software, who don't want to answer questions when asked about specifics of their setups, are likely going to see slower load speeds than the rest of us who are up to date.

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
At the very bottom of the board, dead center, I added code to show how long a particular page takes to load. I've yet to see an entire page take longer than 1 second to load for me. The server and software aren't prejudiced, if you are having issues, the slowness is on your end. Here is my main page load, and then the load of this thread.

http://i33.tinypic.com/313gk6w.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/15qdaqd.jpg

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Tell ya what..send me a link to another site that uses the same software as here and I'll test it for speed. It ain't ALWAYS us. That dog just won't hunt son.

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Tell ya what..send me a link to another site that uses the same software as here and I'll test it for speed. It ain't ALWAYS us. That dog just won't hunt son.

If there is an issue on the server, or the software, it WOULD affect everyone, no if ands or buts. The timer at the bottom will prove this without a doubt. If it loads so quickly non-stop for many, and not so for others, then the slowness is on their end. It could be a slow connection, slow computer, outdated software, low memory...

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 09:45 AM

And not to mention, I have not "always" stated it was you guys. I have listened to many problems and fixed them when they arise, and apologize to the board for the issues. But you've been critical of the board over the years for the way it loads, and I believe admitted yourself once that you have a slow connection. You stated you don't like to have to update your software and don't want to answer questions when I ask you to troubleshoot. I asked you in the announcements section about your computer, then watched you read the thread without replying. If you don't answer, I can't very well assist you. But I can tell you this, everyone I know with an up to date computer and a solid connection is seeing normal load speeds.

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 09:45 AM
What timer?

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 09:47 AM
What timer?

Scroll as far down as you can on the board, dead center is a timer that tells you how long the page took to load. If it's quick for the majority, but slow for a couple, then the software/server isn't being "prejudiced" to just those few, the issue is on the end of those few.

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 09:51 AM
There is NO timer on my screen.

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 09:59 AM
There is NO timer on my screen.

Well, I posted pictures of it, so it's there. If it isn't there for you, then settings have been changed on your browser that aren't allowing the java code to run.

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 10:08 AM
No settings have been changed on browser. How about a test site running the same software..I'll let you know how it acts.

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
No settings have been changed on browser. How about a test site running the same software..I'll let you know how it acts.

Please explain why you think the timer would load for me, but not you. Please explain why you think the board loads quickly for the majority, but not for you.

I've given reasonable explanations as to how the software/server would affect everyone equally, and doesn't just purposely load differently for some, unless they have something different on their end - browser, software, connection speed, processor speed. And when I asked you those questions when you were pretty much the only one stating it was slow, you wouldn't answer the questions.

Others can post their load times here, and whether or not they see the load timer at the bottom. If the way the board runs only negatively affects a few, please explain to me why it would load quickly for the rest of us.

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Come on just fork over a link you know of with the same software. If it's me it should have the same slowness etc..right?

red states rule
08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
At the very bottom of the board, dead center, I added code to show how long a particular page takes to load. I've yet to see an entire page take longer than 1 second to load for me. The server and software aren't prejudiced, if you are having issues, the slowness is on your end. Here is my main page load, and then the load of this thread.

http://i33.tinypic.com/313gk6w.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/15qdaqd.jpg

Jim, you are the slow one here. My system took 0.0 seconds to load this page

Mr. P
08-15-2010, 03:22 PM
And not to mention, I have not "always" stated it was you guys. I have listened to many problems and fixed them when they arise, and apologize to the board for the issues. But you've been critical of the board over the years for the way it loads, and I believe admitted yourself once that you have a slow connection. You stated you don't like to have to update your software and don't want to answer questions when I ask you to troubleshoot. I asked you in the announcements section about your computer, then watched you read the thread without replying. If you don't answer, I can't very well assist you. But I can tell you this, everyone I know with an up to date computer and a solid connection is seeing normal load speeds.
Please NOTE I didn't start this thread..just made a post cuz I'm seeing the same thing here..NOWHERE ELSE. Now you just go ahead an get more defensive.

jimnyc
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Please NOTE I didn't start this thread..just made a post cuz I'm seeing the same thing here..NOWHERE ELSE. Now you just go ahead an get more defensive.

No need for me to get defensive over you and Glock having crappy connections or computers! I merely posted proof showing the board is loading very quickly, and showed that only a couple were complaining - the couple who refuse any assistance to fix their issues. So long as it loads fine for those with normal connections and up to date software, I'm content.

Sweetchuck
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Haven't had any problems here.

Maybe yinz ought to change out that empty bottle of Bud in front of the hamster that's powering your computer.

:laugh2:

LiberalNation
08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
loads fine for me, only like a .5 second delay.

SassyLady
08-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Mine is 0.0

jimnyc
08-16-2010, 07:40 AM
The load time will only show 0.0 if the load time is very quick as it doesn't go into the hundredths of seconds. It's not the greatest timer to be honest. What I'm more interested in is whether other regular members are experiencing slowness or not, and one doesn't need a timer to know that.

Gaffer
08-16-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't have a problem with the board. I know that when I have problem it's most often my third world server. My only hope is that cable will add another thousand feet to this service area or verison or another phone company take over this service area.

When I scrolled down to the counter the numbers were were still counting even tho the loading was done. It never stopped until I went back a page or clicked on another page. It's not important and didn't effect me in any way but wanted to pass the info on just in case.

glockmail
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM

This Page took 3.1 seconds to load.

jimnyc
08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
This Page took 3.1 seconds to load.

And when it loads so much faster for 95%+ of the board, you still want to blame the server or new forum software? Sorry, I honestly do feel bad for those who have to wait longer for things to load, but it's on the PC/connection end.

Sweetchuck
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I just use a middle-of-the-road laptop with DSL, no problems.

Glock - might be time to upgrade the TSR-80.

:laugh2:

glockmail
08-22-2010, 06:32 PM
And when it loads so much faster for 95%+ of the board, you still want to blame the server or new forum software? Sorry, I honestly do feel bad for those who have to wait longer for things to load, but it's on the PC/connection end.I post on numerous boards and its just this one that has the problem. So its not my computer and its not my connection. My last speedtest shows 16MB/s download, and I recently upgraded my PC to a 3-core processor, AMD Phenom 8450, 2.10 Ghz, 1.75GB Ram.

Don't lie to me Jim. Darin got you to put some delay thing in, to be used for certain posters.

It makes me feel so special. :)

glockmail
08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Now your "clock" is messed up. It took about 20 seconds before the page was "done", and it keeps running:

This Page took 61.7 seconds to load.

glockmail
08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm running Firefox 3.6.8.

jimnyc
08-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I post on numerous boards and its just this one that has the problem. So its not my computer and its not my connection. My last speedtest shows 16MB/s download, and I recently upgraded my PC to a 3-core processor, AMD Phenom 8450, 2.10 Ghz, 1.75GB Ram.

Don't lie to me Jim. Darin got you to put some delay thing in, to be used for certain posters.

It makes me feel so special. :)

Now your "clock" is messed up. It took about 20 seconds before the page was "done", and it keeps running:

This Page took 61.7 seconds to load.

I'm running Firefox 3.6.8.

And yet you're one of 2 people on the entire board having an issue, and you know what? I couldn't care less. You and your lame accusations can go and fuck yourself. If I wanted to "slow" down your lame ass I would just ban you and rid myself of your incessant whining. If you don't like the speed or anything else here, feel more than free to take your troll posts ANYWHERE but here.

jimnyc
08-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I removed the timer for anyone looking for it. It served it's purpose and proved my point, even if it were a little buggy. Glock having any issues is not a concern any longer, that's his problem and his alone.