PDA

View Full Version : I feel special NOT

Trinity
08-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Time Magazine: Ohio is Bedbug Capital

Ohio is being called the nation's bedbug capital in a new article in Time Magazine.

The piece mentions the Bedbug Remediation Commission Cincinnati created in 2007.

The EPA is meeting with state and municipal leaders today to try to come up with an abatement strategy. According to the article, the Ohio Department of Agriculture petitioned the EPA in June for an exemption to allow in-home use of propoxur, a pesticide and neurotoxin which can kill adult bedbugs within 24 hours and keeps killing newborns as they hatch. The EPA banned it for in-home use in the 1990's on the basis of animal tests and ill effects on adult workers who were exposed to it.

http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/story/Time-Magazine-Ohio-is-Bedbug-Capital/64xvY7CLw06RCjCaRTeniA.cspx

What irks me the most is that we discovered back in July there were bed bugs at my work, I work in a call center in a mid to upper class neighborhood. Needless to say I was pissed. I put a call in to the local EPA spoke with the guy who is dealing with my company and he assured me they were doing everything they were supposed to, and then some.

He also gave me a list of things to do to keep me from bringing them home.

After that call I went and called an exterminator and had them come out to my home to inspect and make sure I had no bedbugs. I do not, and I have documentation to prove it, so if those little shits end up in my house, my company will be paying for the exterminator.