PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed

Noir
08-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry if this seems a bit random but you're one of my few social networks left that are not heavily intergrated with my IRL network. (such is the double edged sword of web connectivity)

Anyways, my problem is simple to explain, even simpler for me to justify to myself, but justifying it to others is the kicker.*

I want to leave University. TBH I never even wanted to join, or to take the achademic route I took. I have no idea how I ended up were I am now, but here I am. (scratch that, I know how I got here, by putting my head down, taking the riute I was expected to take and hoping it would be over soon)

But how to tell that to others, I was one of the first (in a very large famaily) to pass my primary school tests, get to a grammar school, pass GCSEs, pass A-levels and get into university. It's always just been quietly accepted that 'jonathan'll be the one that does well' and for years I just bought into it and went along with it, but over the past year I have come to realize just how miserable it's making me.

I have been dreading the end of this summer something shocking, but it's too close now to not tell people, so my question is, how do you tell your family that what they regard as the best possible thing for you, is infact the worst

Ps. I have no doubt that many of you will also regard me wanting to leave as a bad decision, but it is certainly not one I have made likely, or without many months of internal debate. *I have worked as hard as I could through doing what I was expected to do, but resigning myself to another three years of this is just too much.

Kathianne
08-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Noir, university studies are not for everyone. With that said, if you have a better plan in mind, formalize it. It's much easier to explain why you're not taking route A, when route B is better for success.

If you don't have alternate plans, I'd keep my head down and keep going until you do.

darin
08-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Flee. Live your live. Enlist, maybe? Do something to shake your world up and down.

Gaffer
08-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Is it possible to take a year off and return later to complete your studies? Some people do that and then get back on track. Most don't return tho. You are entering the I don't want to do this anymore stage of college.

It really boils down to what you want to do with your life. Do you have goals that require a degree or do you just want to do what you feel like doing. If you quit university you will have to work for a living. I don't know who pays your expenses right now but I think they should be consulted on the matter.

You might simply need a change in majors. Now days a degree doesn't guarantee you a job like it use too. Don't do anything you might regret later. You won't regret finishing school, you could well regret not finishing.

Noir
08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Noir, university studies are not for everyone. With that said, if you have a better plan in mind, formalize it. It's much easier to explain why you're not taking route A, when route B is better for success.

If you don't have alternate plans, I'd keep my head down and keep going until you do.

I know what you mean, but I know that route A will most likly be better for 'success' say in terms for jobs ect, but that is being measure against an intangable value, and one that I think for too long I've ignored

Noir
08-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Flee. Live your live. Enlist, maybe? Do something to shake your world up and down.

I couldn't make it in the army, I know that for sure, though fleeing has crossed my mind more than enough.

Kathianne
08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I know what you mean, but I know that route A will most likly be better for 'success' say in terms for jobs ect, but that is being measure against an intangable value, and one that I think for too long I've ignored

So you don't have a plan B? I'm reminded of a lesson learned, 'don't quit a job before you have a better one.' I'm glad I didn't lean that the hard way.

Noir
08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Is it possible to take a year off and return later to complete your studies? Some people do that and then get back on track. Most don't return tho. You are entering the I don't want to do this anymore stage of college.

It really boils down to what you want to do with your life. Do you have goals that require a degree or do you just want to do what you feel like doing. If you quit university you will have to work for a living. I don't know who pays your expenses right now but I think they should be consulted on the matter.

You might simply need a change in majors. Now days a degree doesn't guarantee you a job like it use too. Don't do anything you might regret later. You won't regret finishing school, you could well regret not finishing.

There are gap year options, but they've more or less shut down over here, due to Goverment cuts University places are down around 20,000 while demand is up 150,000. So that's not an option (also on my mind, though it is obviously not a primary concern, ie that while I am there wish I wasn't I'm taming the space of someone who wishes they were but aren't)

And I'm totally financially independant and have been (eexcept for rent) since I was 15 (and with rent from 18) so i lucky don't need to worry about burdoning someone with any financial responsability.

Nukeman
08-20-2010, 08:44 AM
There are gap year options, but they've more or less shut down over here, due to Goverment cuts University places are down around 20,000 while demand is up 150,000. So that's not an option (also on my mind, though it is obviously not a primary concern, ie that while I am there wish I wasn't I'm taming the space of someone who wishes they were but aren't)

And I'm totally financially independant and have been (eexcept for rent) since I was 15 (and with rent from 18) so i lucky don't need to worry about burdoning someone with any financial responsability.

the big question you have to ask yourself is "do you feel comfortable doing what your doing now for the rest of your life"??

Do you currently get by or are you comfortable, If your just getting by than how will your taste change as you get older, If your well off and don't need or want for anything than by all means enjoy yourself!!!

Noir
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
So you don't have a plan B? I'm reminded of a lesson learned, 'don't quit a job before you have a better one.' I'm glad I didn't lean that the hard way.

Well short term I'll continue to work in the job I'm in at the minute as that provides more than enough income though I'll be looking for another one. I also plan to carry out volenteery work for a local MLA/Cllr with a mind to midterm employmet within the civil sector

Long term (3ish years) I have my sights set on moving to America, if it were not for some other cirumstances I'd be there now.

hjmick
08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Take a look in those classrooms. Look at your peers and what they're doing in those classrooms. Do you know what they're doiing? They're working to become someone's boss. Your boss.

I am not unsympathetic to your plight, Noir, but you have to ask yourself if choosing an alternate route is it worth spending the rest of your life looking up the ladder rather than down? You're talking about three years. Three years to better pay and better opportuninties. Three years in exchange for another fifty.

LiberalNation
08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
If that's the case do whatever you want and whatever will make you most happy.

I joined the Army despite disapproval from my folks who thought I should just finish school first. Why, because I have no financial independence and am tired of living at home being treated like a kid. It will give me some money, get me emancipated so I can get more financial aid when I go back to school, independence, ect.

darin
08-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I couldn't make it in the army, I know that for sure, though fleeing has crossed my mind more than enough.

dude. If you couldn't make it - it'd only be due to your admission of failure at the beginning. DO IT. There are millions of people "who wouldn't make it" who, thanks to hard work, DO make it. I believe in you.

SassyLady
08-21-2010, 01:33 AM

This is exactly what I would say to you Noir....it will be easier if you tell people what you do want to do and why....instead of what you don't want to do.

I, too, was (and still am) the first to qualify for scholarships in my family....and was recruited right out of high school to be the personal assistant to a vice president of a very large corporation ...... so I took the job because it helped me build a life away from my family.

I was 32 before I started back to school .... was married, raising three children and owned my own business....started with three nights a week. Was in my mid 40's before I finished ..... but I did what was right for me.

Make a decision to do something other than school only if it is something you are passionate about .... don't stay because you feel guilty, and don't quit because you are bored.

Truthfully....I enjoyed school when I was more mature because I had a completely different outlook on life and was in school to learn something rather than just putting in the time, doing homework and taking tests just to get a degree. I was successful without one, but became more successful and independent after getting one.

Good luck!

Noir
08-21-2010, 06:42 AM
the big question you have to ask yourself is "do you feel comfortable doing what your doing now for the rest of your life"??

Do you currently get by or are you comfortable, If your just getting by than how will your taste change as you get older, If your well off and don't need or want for anything than by all means enjoy yourself!!!

While I wouldn't say I'm well off I can afford the luxeries I want (Car, iMac, holidays ect) and added to being at Uni is that financially I'm allot worse of in the short-medium term. For example the rent in the place I'm staying at uni is £511 (~$800) per month, and that's for one room with shared shower&kitchen, in my hometown i'd be able to rent a whole house for that lol. An average student adds about £10k ($16k) of personal debt per year which must be paid of as a tax when you start working. Add to that the number of students that are coming out of Uni this year and struggling to find jobs (the compound that by 3 years)

Puting that together I feel I'd be better getting out now with only £8K of debt, getting myself established within a company and moving on from there. If there were good carrier prospects at the end of it all I may have been able to sustain the hatred of that place longer but I can't see that happenig at all.

darin
08-21-2010, 07:33 AM
military pays how much? If Harry can do it..............

Noir
08-21-2010, 08:03 AM
military pays how much? If Harry can do it..............

Even if I could physicaly do it (which I doubt, given I have sparadic chest pains than render me useless for periods of time) There is ofcourse the monarchy problem, I am not a believer in undemocratic heredatory rule and ofcourse the army operates 'for queen and country' while that my seem like an irrelevence, it's not for me. Not to metion I would never kill another human (or for that fact, animal) unless to was tge very last resort.

By way of an answer, I think pre-tax a private starts out at £14k ($20k)

darin
08-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Your decisions about what you believe are painting yourself into a corner.

Noir
08-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Your decisions about what you believe are painting yourself into a corner.

Indeed, such is life.

But like I said, even if I wasn't put off by other factors the second I'd turn around to someone 2 hours into a 5 hour march and say 'btw can we stop for the next 30 mins or so until my pain passes' I'd be out.

revelarts
08-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Free advice and food for thought, take it for what it's worth.
There are several alternative ways of getting an "education" now a days. Depending on the field you want to pursue a degree from university may not be your biggest asset. And as long as you stay single and without the responsibility of children or ailing family members. You've got more options.
Learning a skilled trade over a few moths or years could carry you around the world and back. I know a wielder who went to Dubai and made over $200,000 in one year. Electricians and Plumbers will always have work as well. I own an old Mercedes, the guy i take it to for services is a former University engineering teacher. He quit his university job to open the repair shop and get free of the University politics and BS. A trade can carry you and or supplement your income for the rest of your life.

Not sure how the housing market is there but i've read in some places in Europe it's still possible to buy an older beat up home, live in it, fix it up and sell it for a profit. Do that a few times or help others do it, and learn. If your at all entrepreneurial you might want to explore the opportunities available for you. Some of the people that stay in college will be bosses, but even then they will mostly be working for the people who created and have their own businesses.

If you have a real passion that's not going to make you any money, you might want to pursue it for a year and then start to look at what you want to do for cash and career. it might even lead you there.

As far as telling your friends and family, I don't know of any easy way to get by that. And no matter what you do somebodies not going to like it. Why should that be you, you've got the most at stake a this point. But don't write University off, I'm sure your going to keep learning but degrees are very powerful at opening many doors even if they, at times , don't help that much when you get through them.

Binky
08-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Are you living at your parents now Noir? If you are then you have yet to experience how costly it is to be out on your own with a job that isn't at the top of the pay scale. Once you begin renting and footing the bill for your own utilities, food etc, you won't have the extra money to save like you have now.

However, on the other side of the coin, if what you are doing now, is making you so miserable that you're seeking advice, then maybe it's time to make a change.

You could take a hiatus for a year, travel and work at odd jobs along the way until you get your bearings. Maybe you are just burned out and need some time off of schooling and studying. Go out and experience a bit of life. Then after a year, if you still don't want to go back to the university, start building your life in what makes you happy. It's your life Noir. You are the one that has to look in the mirror everyday seeing a young man that is excited to live his life or one that is bored to death, miserable and desiring a change.

Time flies by very quickly Noir. One day you are 20 and the next day you're 40. So don't waste time. Tell your family about whatever plans you may have made immediately. They deserve that much.

You are the one that has to live your life Noir. You are the one responsible for it. And you are the one that has to decide what is the best decision for you that you will be comfortable with.

If you continue on unhappy and miserable then you will have resigned yourself to that destiny. And, you could very well end up with some physical ailments over the long run.

You have to do what is right for you at this point in time. Money affords one the means to have a better life. But what good is the better life if one is sick at heart and miserable with ones life?

Life is all about choices Noir. We make the choice to get up everyday and go to work as a waitress. Or a cashier. Or a phychriatrist. Or to eat a fast food meal. So make the choice that is for you....

Good luck honey, in whatever you choose to do..... :beer:

Noir
08-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Justa quick message to say I told my dad and his girlfriend tonight, went much better than expected, but I've got my mum and then (the final boss) my nan yet to tell, could get very messy xD

Thanks for all the insights and comments,

Noir
09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Told my mum tonight, don't think it could of gone much worse. Bad times.

KarlMarx
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm going to be the wet blanket in this thread....

Stick with your studies and get a good job if that's where it leads. Then live beneath your means....

Why? Because money gives you options, poverty won't.

When you are older and you have the means, you can then pursue something that you truly love. If you don't have the means you won't be able to pursue anything.

Do not sacrifice tomorrow for gratification today.

Someday, you may have children and you will want to provide for them... you won't be able to do that with a dream...

PostmodernProphet
09-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Well short term I'll continue to work in the job I'm in at the minute as that provides more than enough income though I'll be looking for another one. I also plan to carry out volenteery work for a local MLA/Cllr with a mind to midterm employmet within the civil sector

Long term (3ish years) I have my sights set on moving to America, if it were not for some other cirumstances I'd be there now.

do I understand this correctly?.....you've decided you don't want to finish school because you'd be happier working for the government?.......good lord!.....

Noir
09-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm going to be the wet blanket in this thread....

Stick with your studies and get a good job if that's where it leads. Then live beneath your means....

Why? Because money gives you options, poverty won't.

When you are older and you have the means, you can then pursue something that you truly love. If you don't have the means you won't be able to pursue anything.

Do not sacrifice tomorrow for gratification today.

Someday, you may have children and you will want to provide for them... you won't be able to do that with a dream...

Don't worry, I've had plenty of wetness thrown my way xD

And I would of stuck with it if I could see prospects at the end, but the simple fact is that there isn't. I've already dug myself into this hole for the past 3 years, I do t wana do it for another 3.

Noir
09-03-2010, 08:01 AM
do I understand this correctly?.....you've decided you don't want to finish school because you'd be happier working for the government?.......good lord!.....

No, there are a number of reasons, but whether or not I had gone through with it my aspirations to work within/for the people would remain unchanged.

KarlMarx
09-03-2010, 08:10 AM
It's not just doing what you love....

You must be able and willing to retrain yourself to meet the the demands of the economy.

For instance, I am a Java programmer, and over the past few years the need for Java in my company has gone from high to very low.... I am now trying to train myself in SAP... not because I'm in love with SAP, but because that's where the jobs seem to be.

Solar
09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
dude. If you couldn't make it - it'd only be due to your admission of failure at the beginning. DO IT. There are millions of people "who wouldn't make it" who, thanks to hard work, DO make it. I believe in you.

Noir, listen to Dmp, he is right, you are your own worst enemy.
The Military has much to offer, and in need of bright people.

Don't sell yourself short, you will face many challenges in life, but to limit yourself so early in life will be a burden for the rest of your life.

Think about this for a moment, if you quit this easily, it will always be easy to quit again and again.

I never finished college, it wasn't for me, so I went into business for myself, and succeeded beyond my wildest dreams, all because I wasn't willing to quit.

Three years is nothing in the big scheme of things, if for no other reason, do it for you, not because it's expected of you.
Then when all is said and done, join the Military, it will be the experience of a lifetime, I guarantee it!
Not to mention the doors it will open later on.

Noir
09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Noir, listen to Dmp, he is right, you are your own worst enemy.
The Military has much to offer, and in need of bright people.

Don't sell yourself short, you will face many challenges in life, but to limit yourself so early in life will be a burden for the rest of your life.

Think about this for a moment, if you quit this easily, it will always be easy to quit again and again.

I never finished college, it wasn't for me, so I went into business for myself, and succeeded beyond my wildest dreams, all because I wasn't willing to quit.

Three years is nothing in the big scheme of things, if for no other reason, do it for you, not because it's expected of you.
Then when all is said and done, join the Military, it will be the experience of a lifetime, I guarantee it!
Not to mention the doors it will open later on.

I'm not going to the army full stop, thanks.

And this is not quitting, this is doing what I should of done several years ago, but didn't because of the pressure from others.

Anyways, on a more progressive note, have an interview next week for an Estate Agents. No experience required, good salary with commission, large company and local. It's nit what I want to do, nor do I think it will be in anyway easy given the housing market, but if they're employing then atleast the company thinks it's doable.

BoogyMan
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Noir, what do you want to do with your life? That is a big factor here.

I would ask you to consider the fact that 3 years is not that long. Could it be that you are not happy at university because you are in the wrong program? What educational path have you chosen?

Noir
09-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Noir, what do you want to do with your life? That is a big factor here.

I would ask you to consider the fact that 3 years is not that long. Could it be that you are not happy at university because you are in the wrong program? What educational path have you chosen?

My desire is to work in politics, at either a local or national level. If I stay in the UK.

The course was law and politics, but I'm not an academic, and never have been, and the politics that I love, is not sitting in a room with a bunch of boffins talking about the pros and cons of tyrannies

The best bit about my year at Uni was the week I took off, to work as a volunteer for a local prospective MP, 6am to Midnight working days, going door to door, talkin to people, and learning of their concerns (many of which surprised me) for example the community police service (basically police without police powers!) which I always saw as a watse of money are really quiet valued in poor areas, changing my thoughts on them totally.

If I could go full time into the party machine tomorrow on minimum wage I would, but it will likely only be after allot more volunteering and getting my face/name known with the right people.

PostmodernProphet
09-04-2010, 08:46 AM
just what the world needs....another uneducated politician.......given the fact you're a liberal, you ought to fit right in.......

Pagan
09-04-2010, 08:56 AM
just what the world needs....another uneducated politician.......given the fact you're a liberal, you ought to fit right in.......

An I thought I'd seen ignorant posts before, then you post this ...... http://rejecttheherd.net/sites/rejecttheherd.net/files/smileys/sheep.gif

Pagan
09-04-2010, 09:16 AM
My desire is to work in politics, at either a local or national level. If I stay in the UK.

The course was law and politics, but I'm not an academic, and never have been, and the politics that I love, is not sitting in a room with a bunch of boffins talking about the pros and cons of tyrannies

The best bit about my year at Uni was the week I took off, to work as a volunteer for a local prospective MP, 6am to Midnight working days, going door to door, talkin to people, and learning of their concerns (many of which surprised me) for example the community police service (basically police without police powers!) which I always saw as a watse of money are really quiet valued in poor areas, changing my thoughts on them totally.

If I could go full time into the party machine tomorrow on minimum wage I would, but it will likely only be after allot more volunteering and getting my face/name known with the right people.

My two bits for what it's worth ......

Politic's, you'll be swimming with sharks so as the saying goes "Don't quit your day job". What ever you passion is continue it but always insure you have your "bread and butter" that allows you to pursue your passion. Then "if" your passion takes off you can then do it full time.

In regards to University, I hear you about the debt. The debt that people accumulate and hanging over their head for a long time is insane. I never went to Collage and I'm in a field where my peers most have advanced degree's. It's been tougher to get through HR and into an interview but once I get past those idiots I do well.

Bottom line is it's tougher to get seen without a degree on your CV, but if you know your stuff you'll do better IMO than those with degree's.

Kathianne
09-04-2010, 10:05 AM

I don't know about the UK, but here you are not going far in politics without a BA/BS at least. Law degree is most common.

Noir
09-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Oh stay on my arm hour little charmer ^__^

Noir
09-04-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't know about the UK, but here you are not going far in politics without a BA/BS at least. Law degree is most common.

Yeah, that's because the US system is messed up something shocking. Not so much with the needed degree, but in the 'who you know' feild. I do have an 'in' with the Kennedy Family, but that would really be a last resort as I despise their politics. (specifically with regards to their support of Irish Terrorists.)

BoogyMan
09-04-2010, 10:25 AM
You really have a great opportunity that others may not get, my advice would be to stay in shool. If you plan to come to the US and do not have any intention of getting a college education you are simply going to make things difficult for yourself.

Noir
09-05-2010, 06:49 AM
As if to underline my point, was working lastnight and while on a break I started talking to this random girl who was waitin on her friends, they were all out because it was going to be their last Saturday in Bangor before tgey all spilt up and went to Uni, except for the girl I was talkin to, she said that l her friends thought her stupid but that she'd decided not too look for a Uni place during her last year in school, but rather looked for a job, and she starts it in two weeks, Human Resources at the BBC, starting pay £17,000.

Now I know nothing about her, but if she's a good worker in three/four years time she'll be leaps and bounds beyond all her friends that are going to uni, well settled in a good job and debt free.

THATS what I should of been doing two years ago, well played to her for seeing it when I couldn't.

PostmodernProphet
09-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Oh stay on my arm hour little charmer ^__^

did you just assume none of us would be on your mother's side of the argument?.......

Noir
09-05-2010, 09:28 AM
did you just assume none of us would be on your mother's side of the argument?.......

No, infact I assumed the opposite.

BoogyMan
09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Noir, it seems to me that you are intent upon limiting your potential here because you are not willing to go through a short term bit of discomfort. I wish I could convince you to rethink what appears to be a hasty and short sighted decision.

Are you interested in trade school if University is not even a consideration for you?

Noir
09-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Noir, it seems to me that you are intent upon limiting your potential here because you are not willing to go through a short term bit of discomfort. I wish I could convince you to rethink what appears to be a hasty and short sighted decision.

Are you interested in trade school if University is not even a consideration for you?

I can't assure you nothing about this is hastey, it's been years in the making. Infact the fact that I've been so slow to act upon it has likey worked against me.

And, if by trade school you mean becoming a mechanic ect, then no, not only do I have no desire or experience within those fields, but they are also much more difficult to get into due to the EU Freedom of Movement directive.

Trigg
09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Now I know nothing about her, but if she's a good worker in three/four years time she'll be leaps and bounds beyond all her friends that are going to uni, well settled in a good job and debt free.

THATS what I should of been doing two years ago, well played to her for seeing it when I couldn't.

I don't know about England, but in the US at some point she'd hit the ceiling and wouldn't be able to advance anymore without a degree.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Hubby can't go into administration without a masters degree for example (he has a bachelors), but he likes his position and there are no plans for more schooling.

I don't have a degree. I do have a good job that I enjoy (most of the time). Just be sure you understand the limitations, in your chosen field, that might crop up because of your lack of a degree.

chloe
09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I think you should quit school and move to America:salute:

Noir
09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I think you should quit school and move to America:salute:

I would like to move to America, and more than likely will, however, my wee brother is still quiet young, so I'd rather stay over here for a few more years until he is older.

chloe
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I would like to move to America, and more than likely will, however, my wee brother is still quiet young, so I'd rather stay over here for a few more years until he is older.

which states are you most interested in?

Noir
09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
which states are you most interested in?

Well I've only been to California so far, but over the next few years I plan to visit several more times, I know folks in pretty much all the states which helps,

One area I'm quiet interested in is Savannah, Georgia. Have heard many good things about there.

chloe
09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Well I've only been to California so far, but over the next few years I plan to visit several more times, I know folks in pretty much all the states which helps,

One area I'm quiet interested in is Savannah, Georgia. Have heard many good things about there.

cool well I am sure you will enjoy it when you arrive.

SassyLady
09-14-2010, 04:12 AM
Shouldn't have sent that email to Obama, Noir! :slap:

Noir
09-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Shouldn't have sent that email to Obama, Noir! :slap:

I don't think I'd want to be in the country if they ban me, and several thousand others for feely expressing ourselves in a coutry that prides itself as the land of the free.

Noir
10-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Slight update, have started looking into the 'Open University' (OU) they provide lectures via DVDs and supplied books, all assignments are email based with an end of year test, it's basically like home-study, meaning I can work full time and study when I like, much more my style.
Anyways a course that caught my eye is PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) and starts in the Spring, I also ran quickly through there costs and grants, the first year costs £650, but I will get £300 of that written off and a £200 grant, so it's basically a free first year, and given you must pay as you go (rather than having it added to future debts against your name in normal Unis) means I won't be getting inti debt, again much more my style.
Solly I'm gonna phone up about it tomorrow and see if positions are free, could be good :)

SassyLady
10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Slight update, have started looking into the 'Open University' (OU) they provide lectures via DVDs and supplied books, all assignments are email based with an end of year test, it's basically like home-study, meaning I can work full time and study when I like, much more my style.
Anyways a course that caught my eye is PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) and starts in the Spring, I also ran quickly through there costs and grants, the first year costs £650, but I will get £300 of that written off and a £200 grant, so it's basically a free first year, and given you must pay as you go (rather than having it added to future debts against your name in normal Unis) means I won't be getting inti debt, again much more my style.
Solly I'm gonna phone up about it tomorrow and see if positions are free, could be good :)

Good luck Noir!

Is your goal to eventually become a government worker and not work in the private sector?

Noir
10-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Good luck Noir!

Is your goal to eventually become a government worker and not work in the private sector?

Thankies,

And yeah my main paths at the minute would either be within Goverment, as part of a pressure group/ think tank or within a Charity.

BoogyMan
10-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Thankies,

And yeah my main paths at the minute would either be within Goverment, as part of a pressure group/ think tank or within a Charity.

Join us in Texas, we would be glad to have you. The summers are not pleasant, but the rest of the year is pretty nice here!

Abbey Marie
10-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I always say that college isn't for everyone, so I would say that you should do what pleases you.

Two things to keep in mind, though:

1. You are obviously intelligent, so I would advise that you do find a career that challenges you intellectually, or you will probably not be fulfilled. We spend a lot of our time at work, so it's not good to be bored.

2. Also, it is much easier to finish your studies when you are young, energetic, and have no responsibilities. Much tougher to do later in life with spouse, kids, mortgage payments, etc.

Good luck.

DragonStryk72
10-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry if this seems a bit random but you're one of my few social networks left that are not heavily intergrated with my IRL network. (such is the double edged sword of web connectivity)

Anyways, my problem is simple to explain, even simpler for me to justify to myself, but justifying it to others is the kicker.*

I want to leave University. TBH I never even wanted to join, or to take the achademic route I took. I have no idea how I ended up were I am now, but here I am. (scratch that, I know how I got here, by putting my head down, taking the riute I was expected to take and hoping it would be over soon)

But how to tell that to others, I was one of the first (in a very large famaily) to pass my primary school tests, get to a grammar school, pass GCSEs, pass A-levels and get into university. It's always just been quietly accepted that 'jonathan'll be the one that does well' and for years I just bought into it and went along with it, but over the past year I have come to realize just how miserable it's making me.

I have been dreading the end of this summer something shocking, but it's too close now to not tell people, so my question is, how do you tell your family that what they regard as the best possible thing for you, is infact the worst

Ps. I have no doubt that many of you will also regard me wanting to leave as a bad decision, but it is certainly not one I have made likely, or without many months of internal debate. *I have worked as hard as I could through doing what I was expected to do, but resigning myself to another three years of this is just too much.

Well, What do you want to do? I think that's really the first question you need to answer. If you need to, work back into it by lining out what you don't want to do first, and looking at the remaining stuff.

I myself am one of those for whom college is not really working, and I'm writing a novel, but I'm keeping myself on my feet with work while I do that.

Noir
10-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Another slight update, registered online with the OU today, should get my confirmation letter in the post soon,

I start on a Politics, Philosphy & Ecomonics Diploma (2year course) in January with the option to make it q degree (add another year) all seems win so far :)

Abbey Marie
10-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Another slight update, registered online with the OU today, should get my confirmation letter in the post soon,

I start on a Politics, Philosphy & Ecomonics Diploma (2year course) in January with the option to make it q degree (add another year) all seems win so far :)

I like the way those three areas of study are combined in one diploma. We tend to compartmentalize majors in American universities, and I think sometimes miss the big picture in doing so.

Although the requirements that go along with a major often pick up these other topics, the courses may not flow together as well as what you will be taking.

Noir
10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I like the way those three areas of study are combined in one diploma. We tend to compartmentalize majors in American universities, and I think sometimes miss the big picture in doing so.

Although the requirements that go along with a major often pick up these other topics, the courses may not flow together as well as what you will be taking.

Yeah it seems to make allot of sense, in the first year we also cover criminology, sociology and psychology so you can switch to any of those in year two, but I'm pretty sure I'd stick with PPE.

It also seems that being from a low income house I'll get a full grant of £1225, and given my course only costs £650 I may add another module to it, would like to do Theology or Mythology (what's the difference right? :laugh:) but I dunno if I'd age the time.

Noir
12-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I was a bit worried that it was taking so long given my course registration date ends tomorrow, but I just got my place confirmation email =) The course itself starts in January and I should be getting all my books and my module questions in the next 2weeks.

Also, in a moment of either blind stupidity or genius I decided not to accept the financial assistance that would of paid for this course (just over £650) and have instead paid for it myself, because I reckon I'll be more motivated to work for it given I know I've spent my money on it and it's not just free...though I do kinda wish I'd used the money to buy a new MacBook xD

Gaffer
12-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I was a bit worried that it was taking so long given my course registration date ends tomorrow, but I just got my place confirmation email =) The course itself starts in January and I should be getting all my books and my module questions in the next 2weeks.

Also, in a moment of either blind stupidity or genius I decided not to accept the financial assistance that would of paid for this course (just over £650) and have instead paid for it myself, because I reckon I'll be more motivated to work for it given I know I've spent my money on it and it's not just free...though I do kinda wish I'd used the money to buy a new MacBook xD

Good for you. You will appreciate that you earned the education and you will have less debt after finishing.

CAPTDASH
12-21-2010, 11:46 PM
This is exactly what I would say to you Noir....it will be easier if you tell people what you do want to do and why....instead of what you don't want to do.

I, too, was (and still am) the first to qualify for scholarships in my family....and was recruited right out of high school to be the personal assistant to a vice president of a very large corporation ...... so I took the job because it helped me build a life away from my family.

I was 32 before I started back to school .... was married, raising three children and owned my own business....started with three nights a week. Was in my mid 40's before I finished ..... but I did what was right for me.

Make a decision to do something other than school only if it is something you are passionate about .... don't stay because you feel guilty, and don't quit because you are bored.

Truthfully....I enjoyed school when I was more mature because I had a completely different outlook on life and was in school to learn something rather than just putting in the time, doing homework and taking tests just to get a degree. I was successful without one, but became more successful and independent after getting one.

Good luck!

What she said. I finished my associates when I was 22, and at the time, that was all I needed to do what I wanted to do. Trouble is, I never got to do what I wanted to do. I started a trucking business that was great for many years, until fuel hit 5 bucks a gallon in 2008. Bye- Bye business.

I got back in school this Spring 2010 semester. I started off with 2 classes. In the summer, I got brave, and took 5 online classes, all upper level courses, I might add. I got 4 "A"s and an 89(dickhead professor).
I just completed my Fall semester of Social Work and Psychology classes. Again, 4 "A"s and an 89( my fault this time).
I am trying to get my degree done by the end of the Summer, so I am taking 8 classes this Spring, yep, you read that right. I got to jam them in, while I can devote 24/7 to school. When the summer gets here, I am going to knock out Spanish and maybe one other class, if I need it. I will be getting my bachelors at 41, and still really need my Masters to make any money in my field of Psych and Social work.

Stick it out. Don't make a 20 year mistake like I did. It is not worth it. Of all the money I made running my own business, I don't have shit but bad memories of the last couple years to fall back on. It left me broke. It has taken some time and effort to get back where I am, but I am a creative guy. If I had gotten my Masters 15 years ago, I would be financially set now, instead of still working on the education part. I never figured I would live to be 40 anyway.

Get a good Plan B or stay in school. Hell come to the USA and go to school. Good luck.

Noir
01-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Package in the post =D
2 books, 3 supplementals, 2 DVDs and 10 CDs course begins in 16 days and counting ^_^

Pixforproofs.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/5c83ab9d.jpg

Love Monkey
11-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Always know where you are going. Before you leave the University, know what it is that you want.