PDA

View Full Version : study: Teens who take driver's ed crash more

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Guess it's good I never went to one.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/BMV-study-Teens-who-take-drivers-ed-crash-more-101254314.html

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana lawmakers say they're puzzled by a study that shows teens who take driver's education are more likely to crash than those who don't.

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles study of current drivers under 18 showed those with driver training had nearly four times the crashes that those without training had.

krisy
08-22-2010, 12:15 PM

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/BMV-study-Teens-who-take-drivers-ed-crash-more-101254314.html

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana lawmakers say they're puzzled by a study that shows teens who take driver's education are more likely to crash than those who don't.

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles study of current drivers under 18 showed those with driver training had nearly four times the crashes that those without training had.

Notice they suspect its because they get on the road earlier. All the more reason for kids to wait.
Notice that they suspect

krisy
08-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Could also be completely coincidental

Nukeman
08-22-2010, 02:50 PM

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles study of current drivers under 18 showed those with driver training had nearly four times the crashes that those without training had.Funny how you have stated that the "state" does a better job of judging children than their own parents. YOU accuse a parent of being controlling when they wish to have their child wait a while to start driving.

I can tell you EXACTLY why teenagers who take drivers ed have a higher incidence of accidents!! It is very simple in the fact that the parents are RELYING on the state to impart all the information they need to learn how to drive. My son had drivers ed and they spent 30 hours in class and 6 behind the wheel with 3 other kids so they were each allowed to drive for 2 freaking hours. Now a good parent would augment this with "other" training and time behind the wheel, but YOU LN consider this BAD parenting and just wanting to be controlling.

My children will all take drivers ed but they will also spend up to 2 years with me and my wife prior to getting their liscense.....

When you have your children in the future you can let the state decide everything for you and tell you when it is appropriate for your child to do things. Then you can just stay out of it and take NO RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!!!!!:poke:

krisy
08-22-2010, 03:26 PM
:clap:

She doesn't have a clue:clap:.....

WHat she also doesn't realise is that there isn't anything my son has done to lead me to believe he would be irresponsible or a bad driver,I just want to make damn sure he is ready. There are a million other idiots on the road too! He will also have to do several hours with his dad and I. My neighbors 16 year old boy is a good kid,makes honor roll,but had 2 wrecks in 2 weeks. He doesn't understand why they won't let him drive for a while!!! This is the mindset of a 16 year old

People without kids will never understand until they have them.

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Who said I thought parents helping their kids learn to drive was a bad thing? That's why you have 6 months of permit time you can't drive alone, it's what it is for. To learn to drive before taking the test.

My parents tought me how to drive, there really isn't drivers ed in KY unless you want to pay for private lessons so all the kids have to learn from parents or older siblings/relatives.

Keeping your kid from getting his/her license when they qualify is lame and over controlling.

krisy
08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=LiberalNation;439007]Who said I thought parents helping their kids learn to drive was a bad thing? That's why you have 6 months of permit time you can't drive alone, it's what it is for. To learn to drive before taking the test.

My parents tought me how to drive, there really isn't drivers ed in KY unless you want to pay for private lessons so all the kids have to learn from parents or older siblings/relatives.

Keeping your kid from getting his/her license when they qualify is lame and over controlling.[/QUOTE

My son doesn't have a problem with it. I have talked to him and explained why we are taking it slow and he has been completely understanding. He does have an itch,but he understands why driving is no joke. Why does a 16 year old HAVE to have a license? There is none. AGAIN,it has nothing to do with control,or I wouldn't be having him fill out job apps. It has to do with safety. Some parents are o.k. with thier 16 year olds driving and they may be ready. My boy has to convince me and his dad that he is completely ready.

And for the record LN,there is a reason 16 year olds aren't legal adults. They aren't ready to be. It is my job to keep him safe,raise him to be a good citizen and if need be "control" him when he needs it. I use the word control in a sarcastic sense.

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
he tells you has no problem with it probably because he wants to see a license before he's 18 and you can't stop him anymore. 17 isn't anymore ready than 18, I didn't change at all between those years.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with a kid hating a parent who pulled a stunt like that. It's a big deal.

krisy
08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
he tells you has no problem with it probably because he wants to see a license before he's 18 and you can't stop him anymore. 17 isn't anymore ready than 18, I didn't change at all between those years.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with a kid hating a parent who pulled a stunt like that. It's a big deal.

Well,lets just say this,you are looking at it from a childs perspective and I from an adults....nuff said. He might also like to go to a party and stay out all night without supervision,should I let cause he wants too?

I can also assure you that my son doesn't hate me in any way. We are very close and I actually am not a horribly strict parent. BUT,he has rules and guidelines and he will follow them. That is what kids need to be taught in life growing up. My son talks to me about things all the time. He always has been very open with me. He actually thinks we are pretty "cool" compared to some of the neighbors parents. That is great,but I just want to be a good parent.

I am not stupid,of course he wants to drive at 16,he never denied that. He just knows we have to take it slow.

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I want to take it slow so you can't get your license. Sounds like the ultimate betrayal by a parent to me. Now he has to get rides with buddies to hang out and can't drive himself to school like most of his friends or take a girl on a date without parent interference making him rather unattractive to most girls.

Not like he is going to tell you guys you're full of shit if he ever eventual wants his license. If my parents had done that I prolly would but they were good to me.

krisy
08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
I want to take it slow so you can't get your license. Sounds like the ultimate betrayal by a parent to me. Now he has to get rides with buddies to hang out and can't drive himself to school like most of his friends or take a girl on a date without parent interference making him rather unattractive to most girls.

Not like he is going to tell you guys you're full of shit if he ever eventual wants his license. If my parents had done that I prolly would but they were good to me.

lol!!! None of his buddies are close to getting their license. Let me remind you,he is 15. Do you understand what taking it slow means? It means a lot of driving time with mom and dad,drivers ed,and we will see if hes ready.

ANd "betrayal"?!!! Are you f'ing nuts? Betrayal would be me getting hooked on drugs and abandoning him,or never taking the time to help with homework,make him a good dinner,or wash his clothes. DO you know the sweat,blood and tears that can come with being a parent. It's not always easy LN. Your in a dream world.

My son is now aware of our debate and can assure you he is fine with our rules. He sitting right here telling me that your full of it!!!:laugh2: Believe me,we would hear about it if he weren't happy. He has never been shy about that,altho he is a laid back kid like his dad. Didn't get that from mom!!

He says to let you know he is happy with how things are going for him.
Again he wouldn't hold back,but I know several parents who think the same as I about driving. Its a priveledge. I don't think not driving the minute he is 16 will plunge him into nerdhood.

Trinity
08-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Really?! Seriously?! All I can say is wow I have had more intelligent conversations with my 11 year old.... LN you really need to grow up, you are in for a very rude awakening especially when you hit boot camp!

krisy
08-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Really?! Seriously?! All I can say is wow I have had more intelligent conversations with my 11 year old.... LN you really need to grow up, you are in for a very rude awakening especially when you hit boot camp!

for real...not sure why i have bothered other than the fact i'm waiting for laundry to get done!!

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't think not driving the minute he is 16 will plunge him into nerdhood.

Maybe not but my brother is 16 and says he's a lot more attractive to the ladies now that he can drive them around and take them out on dates.

and yeah if my parents had done that to me I would have considered it betrayal. I told my mom about this debate seeking an older opinion and she agrees with me, was like all teenagers get their license at 16 unless they are too scared to drive/take the test. Then wanted know how old the parents were, maybe they were just older and over protective.

krisy
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe not but my brother is 16 and says he's a lot more attractive to the ladies now that he can drive them around and take them out on dates.

and yeah if my parents had done that to me I would have considered it betrayal. I told my mom about this debate seeking an older opinion and she agrees with me, was like all teenagers get their license at 16 unless they are too scared to drive/take the test. Then wanted know how old the parents were, maybe they were just older and over protective.

I guess your mom and I differ,along with several other parents. We are 36 and 37.

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
my brother: well maybe if this 16 yo can not drive a lawn mower without crashing. I'm 16 and a great driver.

He drove me to dq for an icecream. I freakin love that he has his license so he can drive me places and I don't have to.

krisy
08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
my brother: well maybe if this 16 yo can not drive a lawn mower without crashing. I'm 16 and a great driver.

He drove me to dq for an icecream. I freakin love that he has his license so he can drive me places and I don't have to.

Your asking a 16 year old if a 16 year old should drive:laugh: real objective I bet he thinks he could make it on his own too!

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 08:53 PM
If he had a job he prolly could.

But since we are on driving here is how it works in KY now.

At 16 you can take the written test and get your permit, 6 months after that you take the actual drive test and get your intermediate license which basically free's you to drive on your own except after midnight and 5am and no more than one other teenager in the car. 6 months after that you get your full license unless of course you got a speeding ticket or were caught out at night in which case it's an extra 6 months. Pretty lame, I just got my full license after 6 months of permit but this is their new rules.

krisy
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Ohio requirements

http://www.ehow.com/about_5082760_driving-license-requirements-ohio.html

Much stricter than when I was 16. I just took my test after driving school and was done.

I noticed your calling the states rules lame. You said before if the state says its o.k. then its ok. There is good reason for putting kids through all this.

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 09:21 PM
There is good reason for putting kids through all this.

Yet me and everyone I know from the "last generation" to not have to go thru the crap drive fine.

States are wrong on a lot of stuff but the driving age is good if not a little on the high side.

Nukeman
08-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Who said I thought parents helping their kids learn to drive was a bad thing? That's why you have 6 months of permit time you can't drive alone, it's what it is for. To learn to drive before taking the test.

Keeping your kid from getting his/her license when they qualify is lame and over controlling.
I suppose that a parent who like to keep their daughter from getting pregnant as soon as she is able is also controling.... I mean after all girls do "qualify" to become pregnant as early as 9 years old. their bodies tell them its ok, so why not?????

You think EVERY freaking teenager out there is ready to drive as soon as the state says so??? give me freaking break LN Yes you can have the basics but accident avoidance and familiarty with ALL the controls of the car and reaction time are built up with experience and 6 months of driving is NOT experience... It is MINIMUM required by law. Is that how you want things to be "the minimum required by law" ?????

LiberalNation
08-23-2010, 06:21 AM
you think getting pregnant is comparable to driving?

and sorry to burst your bubble but if a girl wants to get pregnant a parents isn't going to have much luck stopping her. Most just want to fuck however and pregnancy is an unintended side effect.

darin
08-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Libs tend to think we can 'educate' good decisions into people. Libs spout, frequently, things such as "We need to give our kids more information (especially on sexual subjects) so they "can make good choices"". That's a line of crap, really. See, Libs cannot figure out things like 'good, sound judgment'. Libs lack good judgment. They try to replace judgment skills with knowledge or education. Apples and Oranges.

I've already started teaching my kids to drive. I point out bad driving to them. I tell them what I'm doing, and why I'm doing it, while in traffic. I point out situations such as:

"Kids - see that person way over there in the left lane (on the freeway)? Now, that person is breaking the law, first off, but why do you think they are breaking the law? Arrogance? Ignorance? Distraction? Either way, that left lane camper is dangerous and we need to get past them - get away from them. They aren't paying attention to which lane they are in, so I doubt they'd pay attention to traffic around them."

Nukeman
08-23-2010, 06:38 AM
you think getting pregnant is comparable to driving?

and sorry to burst your bubble but if a girl wants to get pregnant a parents isn't going to have much luck stopping her. Most just want to fuck however and pregnancy is an unintended side effect.

No dumbass!!! It was an analogy to show your ignorance on the subject your speaking on.

Just because someone is ABLE to do a thing does not mean they are equipped with the INTELLIGENCE to do the thing...

I am fully aware of "most just want to fuck" but once again as a "controlling" parent I know where my children are and who they are with, not to mention they are unable to date until the age of 16 and only if we meet their date first!!!

You are such a whinny little kid at times LN I hope you do a lttle growing before you start boot camp in a few weeks........

LiberalNation
08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Just because someone is ABLE to do a thing does not mean they are equipped with the INTELLIGENCE to do the thing....

and only a very special darwin award winner couldn't handle driving at 16. It's not that hard and nearly all 16yos are fine with it.

and it doesn't take any intelligence to fuck, just a few minutes in a bathroom or car away from other people. The parents really have no control over that situation unlike refusing to take their kid to get their license which actually requires parental consent. Apples and oranges.

Nukeman
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
and only a very special darwin award winner couldn't handle driving at 16. It's not that hard and nearly all 16yos are fine with it.

and it doesn't take any intelligence to fuck, just a few minutes in a bathroom or car away from other people. The parents really have no control over that situation unlike refusing to take their kid to get their license which actually requires parental consent. Apples and oranges.
Wait are you saying the state may be wrong??? After all the PARENTS have to CONSENT to allowing their children to opperate a vehicle.

By the way it is not the operation of the vehicle that takes a rocket scientist it is the "ohh fuck what do i do now that someone pulled out in front of me and slammed on their brakes" you will someday hopefully realize that a 16 year old knows shit about driving and how to avoid accidents and remain safe and alert by watching those other idiot teenage drivers...

By your own addmission you think nothing of traveling at 95 mph in a stated 60 zone, you obviously have no regard for safety or how to handle your car in a safe and secure manner!!!!!!

Trinity
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Well here's what's on the local news tonight this would be a good reason to 1. not be speeding and 2. have more experience under your belt to know the dangers and consequences of what could happen at a high rate of speed.

There is video taken from the police cruiser.....

http://www.wlwt.com/news/24734083/detail.html

DAYTON, Ohio -- A Mason teenager is in critical condition after a crash on Interstate 675 near Dayton.
Police said Brennan Eden was speeding on the highway when he went off the left side of the road. Video taken from a police cruiser shows the car going airborne before striking a concrete pillar. The car exploded into pieces.
Police said Eden was passing other drivers at more than 100 mph.

krisy
08-23-2010, 09:15 PM

geese LN,I hope you don't drive up to Ohio much.Driving a car is more than just getting in amd steering around

DragonStryk72
08-23-2010, 11:53 PM

Um, most of his friends? In high school, only a few people had their own vehicles to begin with, so license or no, they're still riding the bus mainly. Second, you just put up an article stating that the state required minimums are apparently causing problems, not bringing solutions.

Also, if a girl's not gonna date him cause he doesn't have a car at 16, then she's definitely not worth having in the first place, and he's better off. Also, have you ever heard of a bus? You know, four tires, holds multiple people and drives about town? There's also biking, both that and the bus being green solutions.

But you're right, LN, the state must know better. That's why their are no articles about how the state minimums aren't up to snuff, and may actually be causing more accidents. It's a good thing that's not the case, so we should definitely bow to the 16 year olds "I want it now!" mentality, cause no bad could come from them not being proficient drivers before they get on the road on their own.

DragonStryk72
08-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Yet me and everyone I know from the "last generation" to not have to go thru the crap drive fine.

States are wrong on a lot of stuff but the driving age is good if not a little on the high side.

Right, because parents didn't rely on driver's ed. Most parents, when they put a kid into a class environment, tend to assume everything is going according to plan, because they assume there will be a proper instructor who teaches their kids all that they need to know. How often did your parents do a full evaluation of your teachers in school? Never, right? Same thing here.

LiberalNation
08-24-2010, 03:43 AM
I and most people at my school at 16 had a car and drove to school vs bus. Even poorer parents can afford $700 car. Brothers high school parking lot is also full of student drivers everyday.

namvet
08-24-2010, 08:23 AM
perhaps no such thing as bad student. only bad teacher.

darin
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Drinking age should be 16...driving age 21.

namvet
08-24-2010, 08:36 AM
texting and cell phone use is still a major cause for teen accidents

namvet
08-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Drinking age should be 16...driving age 21.

did some of my best driving while drunk. my ET's from the bars to home was amazing !!! :laugh2:

darin
08-24-2010, 09:02 AM
texting and cell phone use is still a major cause for teen accidents

Nobody will be brave enough to support distracted-driving laws. All we have are BS 'feel good' laws re: "hands free" devices. :(

And..frankly, because our drivers, by and large, suck, they aren't capable of multitasking safely.

krisy
08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Nobody will be brave enough to support distracted-driving laws. All we have are BS 'feel good' laws re: "hands free" devices. :(

And..frankly, because our drivers, by and large, suck, they aren't capable of multitasking safely.

Speaking of ditracted driving laws,Kentucky just made one that if your caught texting and driving you get.......a whopping $25 fine!!!

That should deter a lot of people:lame2: Its taken a lot of critsicm. I believe the law also says teens are not allowed to talk on cells and drive.

krisy
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Well here's what's on the local news tonight this would be a good reason to 1. not be speeding and 2. have more experience under your belt to know the dangers and consequences of what could happen at a high rate of speed.

There is video taken from the police cruiser.....

http://www.wlwt.com/news/24734083/detail.html

DAYTON, Ohio -- A Mason teenager is in critical condition after a crash on Interstate 675 near Dayton.
Police said Brennan Eden was speeding on the highway when he went off the left side of the road. Video taken from a police cruiser shows the car going airborne before striking a concrete pillar. The car exploded into pieces.
Police said Eden was passing other drivers at more than 100 mph.

This accident just made FOX news

LiberalNation
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
$25 is also the no seatbelt fine so makes sense to have them the same.

darin
08-24-2010, 12:30 PM

The cop should be fined for illegally driving in the left lane while not passing.

LiberalNation
08-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Cops can drive however. Perk of the job. Had many a cop ride up on my ass speeding. I get right quick so they can pass. They drive faster than me.

Abbey Marie
08-24-2010, 03:17 PM

The point, LN (and I don't expect someone as young and childless as you to know anything about this) is that parents know better than drivers ed teachers (have you ever met one?!) when their own child "qualifies". There are intangibles such as maturity and responsibility that count for a lot. A few multiple-choice tests and group driving lessons do not a safe driver make.

Trinity
08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
I thought this was rather fitting.............

The difference between being a child and a parent: As a child you think your parents are usually wrong. As a parent you realize your parents were usually right.

namvet
08-24-2010, 06:15 PM

saw this on GMA this morning. i thought for sure he was a goner

Trinity
08-24-2010, 06:38 PM
saw this on GMA this morning. i thought for sure he was a goner

Right! My husband and I lost a friend about 2 years ago who hit a concrete pillar on the drivers side of his car however he was not speeding and did not go airborne, he just lost control of his car doing 65mph and he died instantly...it snapped his brain stem.

That kid was ejected from his car, I can't believe he did not die instantly.

Trinity
08-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Here is some new info.......

We have new information today about a Mason teen who's violent, high speed crash was caught on tape by police. Not only was the crash caught on tape, 19-year-old Brennan Eden was caught by police and released, just a few minutes before he slammed into a concrete overpass.

Local 12's Joe Webb shares new information.

The Highway Patrol says Brennan Eden had surgery last night and is still in critical condition in a Dayton hospital. If you've seen the video, it's amazing he survived this crash. Now, we know a little bit about what led up to it.

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Mason-Man-Arrested-One-Hour-Before-Airborne-Crash/Z0G9oDQ7XkG7ZMbIAQzEMQ.cspx

namvet
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
i9YVCV9kWKQ

nothin' left but bits and pieces

SpidermanTUba
08-24-2010, 07:23 PM

THe answer's obvious. Teens who don't take driver's ed are the ones who have a parent or relative teach them. The 1 on 1 instruction is more effective.

Noir
08-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Having skimmed through the thread there's allot of talk about 'driving with mom and dad', I don't think i ever drove with either of my parents before passing my test,

So if i can just ask, do you guys have a different system to us? Over here you apply for a provisional licence, then you go out with a driving instructor, normally about £25 for a 30 minute lesson, most people then take their test after 15-20 lessons. If they pass they are then made an 'R' driver, meaning they can not go over 45MPH on a road, must wear an 'R plate' on their car, and if you get 6 points on an R licence your disquaified (after a year it takes 12 points to be disqualified.)

krisy
08-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Having skimmed through the thread there's allot of talk about 'driving with mom and dad', I don't think i ever drove with either of my parents before passing my test,

So if i can just ask, do you guys have a different system to us? Over here you apply for a provisional licence, then you go out with a driving instructor, normally about £25 for a 30 minute lesson, most people then take their test after 15-20 lessons. If they pass they are then made an 'R' driver, meaning they can not go over 45MPH on a road, must wear an 'R plate' on their car, and if you get 6 points on an R licence your disquaified (after a year it takes 12 points to be disqualified.)

Noir,here are the state of Ohio requirements

http://www.ehow.com/about_5082760_driving-license-requirements-ohio.html

Most states are probably fairly similar