PDA

View Full Version : More and more blacks are deciding to settle in the South

LiberalNation
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I guess anywhere is better than detriot if you don't have a job.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100822/NEWS01/308220056/1008/NEWS01/More+and+more+blacks+are+deciding+to+settle+in+the +South

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Discouraged by the avalanche of foreclosures around them in Detroit, Mona Ramsey and her husband started looking at states where they would move.

They considered North Carolina, Florida, Texas - and finally tacked Tennessee to the end of their list. In 2007, they moved to Nashville.

“I was even doing eeny, meeny on whether to pick San Antonio or Austin,” she said. “I had a friend call, and I had an interview with the state of Tennessee. As God would have it, we moved here.”

Ramsey represents not only continuing strong black migration to the South but also the trend's economic and cultural impact. Ramsey started an online business, Sole Sista Shoes, to appeal to a black clientele, and continued running the makeup company she launched in Michigan, Phenom Cosmetics.

Demographers noted a growing trend of black families resettling in Southern states, reflected in the 2000 census. The region had gained about 3 million black residents since the 1990 count. It added nearly 2 million more from 2000 to 2008, U.S. Census Bureau figures released this month show, by far the largest gain in black population of any region.

In the 1990s, many black, college-educated professionals wanted to leave the worsening economic conditions in the urban North while some wanted to move closer to family, a report by the New York-based Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture shows. Others moved with companies relocating in the South.

It was a reversal of the decades-long flow of Southern black residents leaving for opportunities in Northern urban centers.

Recent numbers show that while the recession slowed relocations in the U.S. in general, black Americans continued moving south. Take a region's or state's unemployment rate against the nation's and, if it's higher, people tend to move out, said Rajeev Dhawan, director of Georgia State University's Center for Economic Forecasting in Atlanta.

The U.S. unemployment rate was 9.5 percent in July. Tennessee's was 9.8 percent.

“But there are other things like preferences,” Dhawan said. “People like the Sun Belt compared to another place, and ethnicity factors in, as well.”