PDA

View Full Version : Economy

Trigg
08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Is the economy getting better?????????

We just listed a PRN position, no guaranteed hours. In fact the person would only work a few days a month if that. 100 people have applied for the position.

We had our department meeting today, I was stunned to hear that so many people would apply for that position. Also found out that our hospital is 16 million in the hole for the year already. Fabulous........I'm so glad Biden thinks this is the "summer of recovery".

Agnapostate
08-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Why do people cite their personal anecdotal experiences without corroborating empirical evidence?

revelarts
08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
if your neighbors out of work it's a recession,
if your out of work it's a depression.

KarlMarx
08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Why do people cite their personal anecdotal experiences without corroborating empirical evidence?
The unemployment rate is 9.5%. If you do not count last year lhe last time the unemployment rate was this high was 1982.

The Dow Jones Industrial average is now about 9900. Two years ago, the DJIA was about 12000. The net return on a stock portfolio that tracks the DJIA for the year is almost 0%.

The prime rate is at a record low... 0.0 to 0.25 percent. And even with this ultra low rate, the economy is still in the doldrums.

Home sales have seen their worst month in almost 15 years.

The United States is now facing the real possibility of losing its AAA bond rating.

The Federal Debt is now over 50 percent of GDP and is climbing.

An analyst at a leading securities firm said that it is "inevitable" that the government will default on its debt obligations.

The previous poster's experience is not an isolated case. Many job postings are not for permanent positions, they are contract positions that pay no benefits and last several months to a year.

I have been getting offers from recruiters for the past 9 months and almost all positions are of this nature.

Other people report the same thing. Several hundred or thousand people will apply for a single position.

Is that empirical enough for you?

Noir
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
It going to get much worse yet, all the cards have been played, and it doesn't look like they've been enough...

KarlMarx
08-26-2010, 08:39 PM
It going to get much worse yet, all the cards have been played, and it doesn't look like they've been enough...
Which reminds me.. Ireland's bond rating was lowered this week.

Noir
08-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Which reminds me.. Ireland's bond rating was lowered this week.

Luckily i don't live in Ireland, but Nothern Ireland ^_^

and yeah, they're well screwed down South, not much better off that the greeks TBH, with debts equal to 11 times their GDP.

Agnapostate
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Is that empirical enough for you?

What the hell kind of tangent were you off on, homie? I mentioned the OP. :slap:

Mr. P
08-26-2010, 09:41 PM

We just listed a PRN position, no guaranteed hours. In fact the person would only work a few days a month if that. 100 people have applied for the position.

We had our department meeting today, I was stunned to hear that so many people would apply for that position. Also found out that our hospital is 16 million in the hole for the year already. Fabulous........I'm so glad Biden thinks this is the "summer of recovery".

:trolls:

Agnapostate
08-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I see they're still not filtering the water in Atlanta.

Joe Steel
08-27-2010, 04:36 AM

Yes.

Many firms are reporting higher profits. The trouble is, they're not sharing their profits with their employees. They're not hiring and they're not raising wages and salaries. This hurts the economy. Without increased compensation and more jobs, workers can't spend. Without spending, the economy suffers.

Capitalism has failed.

darin
08-27-2010, 05:39 AM
^^^ You might wanna qualify that with an "Op-ed" title. or maybe we create a 'fiction' forum for you?

Insein
08-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes.

Many firms are reporting higher profits. The trouble is, they're not sharing their profits with their employees. They're not hiring and they're not raising wages and salaries. This hurts the economy. Without increased compensation and more jobs, workers can't spend. Without spending, the economy suffers.

Capitalism has failed.

Most companies are not showing record profits. I'd like to see which ones you refer to. As for the profits they are making, they are sitting on the cash because the future is uncertain. Taxes may skyrocket. No one knows how the Finance reform will affect their business. The economy as a whole is going towards another negative cycle. Companies don't like to spit out money when they don't know how much they will need in the near future to pay out.