PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to teach Little League?

krisy
05-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Just curious. My son's team has been coached by the same guy now for 4 years. He is a great guy and last yeat they had a winning record. They decided to change how they do a few things this year tho and I think it isn't helping much. They lost their first 3 out of 4.

First,they are telling the kids they are not allowed to swing at the first pitch....ever. I see the reasoing somewhat,but they are 12 and 13 now and most of them are very good at not swinging at horrible pitches. You know,the ones that are below the knees and above the head.

Second,they are moving their positions around constently. In one inning,a kid might play second base. The next inning he's pitching!!! They want the boys to learn different positions,which is fine,but at this age,most parents feel that they should be really learning one or two postions and gettting very good at those. My older bro pitched in high school and coached high school and thought this would be the best thing as well.

Any opinions? Just curious,like I said. I'm not upset with the guy or anything and would never say anything. I'll let the other parents do that:laugh2:

I realise in the grand scheme of things this isn't that important,just wondering how it should be taught.

05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
kinda dumb sounding to me.

krisy
05-02-2007, 08:37 AM
kinda dumb sounding to me.

I thought so too. I would like to see them learn the game right,which they were until this year. They are making stupid mistaked because they don't know the positions they are being put in.

Hagbard Celine
05-02-2007, 08:43 AM
With an iron fist.

krisy
05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
With an iron fist.

:scared: :scared:

:laugh2: I'm not so sure they would like that....evn tho that's what a few of them need!!!

That reminds me of another thing. The coaches son is a nice kid,but gets frustrated easy when he screws up. the other day,he thought tagged a kid out a second. Well,the ump disagreed and called the kid safe. The coaches son yelled...."bullsh*t!". His dad did pulled him out and told him he was done for the game. Then, he turned around and let him bat!!

Hagbard Celine
05-02-2007, 09:29 AM
:scared: :scared:

:laugh2: I'm not so sure they would like that....evn tho that's what a few of them need!!!

That reminds me of another thing. The coaches son is a nice kid,but gets frustrated easy when he screws up. the other day,he thought tagged a kid out a second. Well,the ump disagreed and called the kid safe. The coaches son yelled...."bullsh*t!". His dad did pulled him out and told him he was done for the game. Then, he turned around and let him bat!!

The kid definately needs to learn not to goad the umps. Sounds like his dad was just using strategy. He had to say something to make the ump think he was being punished. But if his son is a good hitter, he's got to let him hit.

Gaffer
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
The kids should concentrate on one or two positions. They are old enough now to know they like and what they want to play. They should concentrate on their strong points. As you say too many positions just confuses them on what to do.

The idea of not swinging at the first pitch is a good one to a point. It gives the batter a chance to judge what the pitcher can do. But it's not good to make it manditory not to swing. The pitcher then knows he can put the first pitch down the middle with complete control cause its a freebie. The coach needs to be working with them more concerning the strategy of the game.

Mr. P
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
All I can say is stability is important. I played several positions in LL but seldom more than one per game. We had a great coach and were Champs for the 3-4 years I played.

Stability in the position develops comfort and confidence, with that comes a good team.

glockmail
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
First the parents have to come to a consensus what their goals are. It sounds like your's is winning, and the coaches is teaching them the game.

krisy
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
First the parents have to come to a consensus what their goals are. It sounds like your's is winning, and the coaches is teaching them the game.

It's kind of the opposite really. Parents want them to win,but are more concerned they aren't being taught the game right,because of the constant position changes. For most of these boys,baseball is their sport and they will most likely play high school ball. If they do,they need to be really good at one or two positions unless they want to sit the bench.

krisy
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
All I can say is stability is important. I played several positions in LL but seldom more than one per game. We had a great coach and were Champs for the 3-4 years I played.

Stability in the position develops comfort and confidence, with that comes a good team.

Exactly P. I could see at a younger age moving them around,but now they need to get stable.

krisy
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
The kids should concentrate on one or two positions. They are old enough now to know they like and what they want to play. They should concentrate on their strong points. As you say too many positions just confuses them on what to do.

The idea of not swinging at the first pitch is a good one to a point. It gives the batter a chance to judge what the pitcher can do. But it's not good to make it manditory not to swing. The pitcher then knows he can put the first pitch down the middle with complete control cause its a freebie. The coach needs to be working with them more concerning the strategy of the game.

We kind of looked at the not swinging at the first pitch thing like it could be a strike,then your allready one down.

Mr. P
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Exactly P. I could see at a younger age moving them around,but now they need to get stable.

Actually, I think it's even more important for the young ones to be stable. They can't learn the position or game if they move around too much. Moving for them should be part of practice, then the coach can evaluate who needs to be where in the game. Just my opinion. If I coached that's how I'd do it.

Hagbard Celine
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I know how but I'm not telling

glockmail
05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
It's kind of the opposite really. Parents want them to win,but are more concerned they aren't being taught the game right,because of the constant position changes. For most of these boys,baseball is their sport and they will most likely play high school ball. If they do,they need to be really good at one or two positions unless they want to sit the bench. One could argue that it is important to learn all positions in order to really learn the game.

Why not just straight up ask the guy what his line of thinking is? His answer may surprise you.

It ain't easy being a coach, and being second guessed all the time by parents. My wife's a coach for a sport that few of the parents are familiar with so its not a big issue for her. Although come to think of it she does spend a lot of time emailing parents and stuff, but that's mainly on other issues.

My son's on a ski team, and I get a magazine called Ski Racing, and there are articles about this all the time. Mainly they say the parents job is to provide logistics, undying support and proper diet.

Mr. P
05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
One could argue that it is important to learn all positions in order to really learn the game.

Why not just straight up ask the guy what his line of thinking is? His answer may surprise you.

It ain't easy being a coach, and being second guessed all the time by parents. My wife's a coach for a sport that few of the parents are familiar with so its not a big issue for her. Although come to think of it she does spend a lot of time emailing parents and stuff, but that's mainly on other issues.

My son's on a ski team, and I get a magazine called Ski Racing, and there are articles about this all the time. Mainly they say the parents job is to provide logistics, undying support and proper diet.

It was the same when my daughter was swimming. Now she's coaching for a year round competitive team, and the parents are on her all the time questioning her and the structure of practice. Stuff like why do they have to swim sooo many yards? Why aren't you in the water with them? Crap like that.

Parents for the most part need to STFU and watch.

Hagbard Celine
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Parents for the most part need to STFU and watch.

Good luck with that one. My dad used to have competitions with the other fathers to see who could coach from the sidelines the loudest.

krisy
05-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Hold on now....I'm in no way a whiny parent. I've never said a word to the guy,I swear!!:coffee:

I just wondered why he is changing things around this year,and if he was right in doing what he was doing. Like I said before he is a great guy and I wouldn't say anything because I have no doubt some other parent probably will question him.

I just watch the game,cheer the kids on and occasionally get mad when the ump calls a strike on my son when the ball rolled across the plate.:lame2:

krisy
05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Good luck with that one. My dad used to have competitions with the other fathers to see who could coach from the sidelines the loudest.

We have lots of sideline coaches :D

glockmail
05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Good luck with that one. My dad used to have competitions with the other fathers to see who could coach from the sidelines the loudest. As long as what he was doing was not in conflict with the Coach, then you owe him a debt of gratitude. I'm always yelling "pass one", or "pass two", or "take him on" to my son during his races (track).

glockmail
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Hold on now....I'm in no way a whiny parent. .... I don't doubt that. But I'm sure there are plenty who are.

Mr. P
05-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Hold on now....I'm in no way a whiny parent. I've never said a word to the guy,I swear!!:coffee:

I just wondered why he is changing things around this year,and if he was right in doing what he was doing. Like I said before he is a great guy and I wouldn't say anything because I have no doubt some other parent probably will question him.

I just watch the game,cheer the kids on and occasionally get mad when the ump calls a strike on my son when the ball rolled across the plate.:lame2:

My post wasn't directed at you, krisy.

krisy
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
My post wasn't directed at you, krisy.

I gotcha P. :thumb:

I just didn't want anyone thinkin I am one of those nutcases that actually screams at the ump and the kids,and the coach. We don't have any on our team that I can think of. There are a couple that get kind of upset occasionally,but only on a bad call or something like that. SOme parents can be literally obnoxiuos.

manu1959
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Just curious. My son's team has been coached by the same guy now for 4 years. He is a great guy and last yeat they had a winning record. They decided to change how they do a few things this year tho and I think it isn't helping much. They lost their first 3 out of 4.

First,they are telling the kids they are not allowed to swing at the first pitch....ever. I see the reasoing somewhat,but they are 12 and 13 now and most of them are very good at not swinging at horrible pitches. You know,the ones that are below the knees and above the head.

Second,they are moving their positions around constently. In one inning,a kid might play second base. The next inning he's pitching!!! They want the boys to learn different positions,which is fine,but at this age,most parents feel that they should be really learning one or two postions and gettting very good at those. My older bro pitched in high school and coached high school and thought this would be the best thing as well.

Any opinions? Just curious,like I said. I'm not upset with the guy or anything and would never say anything. I'll let the other parents do that:laugh2:

I realise in the grand scheme of things this isn't that important,just wondering how it should be taught.

i have coached youth soccer from the age of 16 to 47....evrything from kindergarten to olympic development.....i think what your coach is doing is great.....they know how to win and do one thing well.......he is teaching them character and challenging them.....back him up 100%

krisy
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
i have coached youth soccer from the age of 16 to 47....evrything from kindergarten to olympic development.....i think what your coach is doing is great.....they know how to win and do one thing well.......he is teaching them character and challenging them.....back him up 100%

So you think moving them around to several positions is a good thing?

The only reason I'm leary is because they aren't doing well being moved around.

Mr. P
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
So you think moving them around to several positions is a good thing?

The only reason I'm leary is because they aren't doing well being moved around.

I don't understand his post..maybe he misread yours...donno.

krisy
05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't understand his post..maybe he misread yours...donno.

I didn't either.....

Hagbard Celine
05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I didn't either.....

He just wanted to brag about being a soccer coach. :poke: