PDA

View Full Version : Tens of Millions of "missing" girls

SassyLady
09-06-2010, 04:36 AM
September 5 TED lecture - this time on gender inequity around the world. Demographers say there are more men in the world overall...ever wonder why? And, it's not just due to the policy of China's "one child" policy....it is due to many factors....but primarily due to the concept that females are less valuable than males.....and the fact that males control the majority of resources.

(http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/05/wudunn.women.oppression/index.html?iref=NS1)
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/05/wudunn.women.oppression/index.html?iref=NS1

The problem is not limited to China; WuDunn says there are between 60 million and 100 million missing females in the world, even though women outnumber men in some more developed nations.
The solutions, she says, are education and economic opportunity. Overpopulation is one of the larger contributors to poverty, WuDunn said. "When you educate a girl, she has significantly fewer kids." Girls who go to school get married later in life and educate their children "in a more enlightened way."...............

"So let us be clear about this up front: We hope to recruit you to join an incipient movement to emancipate women and fight global poverty by unlocking women's power as economic catalysts. That is the process under way -- not a drama of victimization but of empowerment, the kind that transforms bubbly teenage girls from brothel slaves into successful businesswomen. This is a story of transformation. It is change that is already taking place, and change that can accelerate if you'll just open your heart and join in. ...
"The tide of history is turning women from beasts of burden and sexual playthings into full-fledged human beings. The economic advantages of empowering women are so vast as to persuade nations to move in that direction.
"Before long, we will consider sex slavery, honor killings and acid attacks as unfathomable as foot-binding. The question is how long that transformation will take and how many girls will be kidnapped into brothels before it is complete -- and whether each of us will be part of that historical movement, or a bystander."
(http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/05/wudunn.women.oppression/index.html?iref=NS1)

PostmodernProphet
09-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I have them hidden in my basement....mwhahaha.....

revelarts
09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
September 5 TED lecture - this time on gender inequity around the world. Demographers say there are more men in the world overall...ever wonder why? And, it's not just due to the policy of China's "one child" policy....it is due to many factors....but primarily due to the concept that females are less valuable than males.....and the fact that males control the majority of resources.

China has a shortage of women in it's it is case because of abortion and negative culture combo mentioned. it's similar in India, there's no one child policy but they abort girls just because they are girls as well. Honor killings ,as horrible as they are, don't come close to the abortion rates of girls.
Other may not agree but the fact is that if you notice women are treated better in countries that had a strong Christian belief system at one time. Many think the Bible repressive of women but where ever missionaries have gone and been effective, culture practices like Honor killing have been outlawed. foot binding and killing of 1 twin because they are demon. Tossing virgins into volcano and been stopped. When read honestly you cannot justify harm of women or devaluing of women from the Bible. other cultures and religions don't have as clear a message on Human Rights and all Human life. Some have very different values for women than men.

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 01:30 AM
I have them hidden in my basement....mwhahaha.....

Are you a male PMP because I believe only a male would respond to this situation with this type of juvenile remark.

PostmodernProphet
09-07-2010, 07:30 AM
/yawn.......

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
/yawn.......

Thank you for proving my point.

PostmodernProphet
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Thank you for proving my point.

sorry....but I can't take claims like "women are finally becoming full fledged human beings" seriously, given the fact that women have been running the world behind the scenes for hundreds of years........

Bush might have still invaded Iraq if he knew before hand that the left would deride him for it for years, but do you really think he would have done it if Laura had said, "It's the couch for you for the next ten years!"........

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
sorry....but I can't take claims like "women are finally becoming full fledged human beings" seriously, given the fact that women have been running the world behind the scenes for hundreds of years........

Did you listen to the lecture or read the article? This is not in the humor section PMP....if it were, I might give you latitude for your insensitive remarks, but it is in the Science forum and is a serious issue. So, man up and listen to the lecture...it might be the most enlightening 20 minutes you've spent in a while.

PostmodernProphet
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Did you listen to the lecture or read the article? This is not in the humor section PMP....if it were, I might give you latitude for your insensitive remarks, but it is in the Science forum and is a serious issue. So, man up and listen to the lecture...it might be the most enlightening 20 minutes you've spent in a while.

why is this a serious issue?.....from my perspective it's a natural way to overcome the problem of excess population.....fewer child bearing women in under developed and over populated nations?.....and this is a problem how?.....

you're objecting because women are considered less valuable than men.....how long do you think this will continue in a world where women are scarce?......

revelarts
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
pmp, any real reason why are you acting like a butt hole about this issue?

PostmodernProphet
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
pmp, any real reason why are you acting like a butt hole about this issue?

I don't see that I am acting like a "butt hole".....any real reason you think I am?.....do you really think there is some vast conspiracy to kill off women?.....

SassyLady
09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't see that I am acting like a "butt hole".....any real reason you think I am?.....do you really think there is some vast conspiracy to kill off women?.....

It's not a conspiracy...it's blatant.

Once again, did you read the article or listen to the lecture. Women........educated women.....help to build vibrant economies. Keeping them uneducated, killing them off, aborting them over male babies, enslaving them.....basically undervaluing them, is not a conspiracy....it's a fact. And, unfortunately, there are still a vast amount of uneducated men that don't take this seriously, thus propagating the inequities by "raspberrying" on the whole concept.

Listen to the lecture.....you might learn something of value.

revelarts
09-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Once again, did you read the article or listen to the lecture. Women........educated women.....help to build vibrant economies. Keeping them uneducated, killing them off, aborting them over male babies, enslaving them.....basically undervaluing them, is not a conspiracy....it's a fact. And, unfortunately, there are still a vast amount of uneducated men that don't take this seriously, thus propagating the inequities by "raspberrying" on the whole concept.

What She Said.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EirCpAByc2U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EirCpAByc2U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1vikY-P_k4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1vikY-P_k4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Throw in Honor killing (and just plain old fashion killing without being held accountable) plus the other items MK'sPrincess mentioned and it's a pretty bleak picture for a lot of woman especially outside of western countries. Years Ago when, Hillary was the 1st lady, she went to a world wide women's conference. And some of the women from Asia and the middle east were laughing at the things Hillary and of western woman where whining about. The Asian and middle eastern women said "sometimes we just want to have the right not to be killed."

PostmodernProphet
09-08-2010, 08:06 AM

I will rasberry on any claim that I don't consider women capable of helping to build vibrant economies....there are vast numbers of uneducated men living in the same countries as the uneducated women.....and ignorance is the cause of everything you complain about, not some evil intent with respect to women....

you complain about women being undervalued....I merely pointed out that when men recognize there aren't enough women for all of them to be married, women will become more highly valued.....is that a horrible observation?.....

as for selective abortion?.....I can't imagine why I never thought about abortion being a bad thing.....I should speak out against abortion for a change.....

revelarts
09-08-2010, 09:03 AM
as for selective abortion?.....I can't imagine why I never thought about abortion being a bad thing.....I should speak out against abortion for a change.....

Your Should

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFnMoLhhoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKuE3nyrsE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vuo_V048wU&feature=related

PostmodernProphet
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
lol...

SassyLady
09-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I will rasberry on any claim that I don't consider women capable of helping to build vibrant economies....there are vast numbers of uneducated men living in the same countries as the uneducated women.....and ignorance is the cause of everything you complain about, not some evil intent with respect to women....

you complain about women being undervalued....I merely pointed out that when men recognize there aren't enough women for all of them to be married, women will become more highly valued.....is that a horrible observation?.....

PMP - I am not complaining ... and neither is the lecturer. Reducing this issue to a mere complaint shows that you are not willing to broaden your horizon beyond your orginal glib remarks about when men realize the shortage of women ...... in fact, it's a pretty assinine suggestion. When the world gets to that point men will merely do what they've always done ... kill each other and then brutalize, enslave and sell the women they capture, and/or father, to the highest bidder.

And you are woefully right about the uneducated men living in those same countries.....and their ignorance, combined with their superior strength, seems to help them propagate and become more successful than the women.

Oh, and I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth ... I never said anything about "evil intent"....that comes from your own paranoia. I have been crystal clear that this is a fact....and you are the one intent on dismissing it out of hand. It is clearly people like yourself, and the dismissive way you have approached this, that is perpetuating the issue.

Hey, you don't have to do anything or even share this with anyone....but do not come in here and dismiss this because you are ignorant of the facts and can't take the time to look into this.

darin
09-08-2010, 05:54 PM
This could have been a better thread if one guy had said something like:

"Ya know? I'm sorry...I was being a douche. I apologize for messing up your otherwise-good thread. My-bad."

SassyLady
09-11-2010, 07:59 AM
This could have been a better thread if one guy had said something like:

"Ya know? I'm sorry...I was being a douche. I apologize for messing up your otherwise-good thread. My-bad."

Hell no ... that guy would never do that ... he's still LOL and thinking this is a conspiracy of lies. Real men own up to acting like buffoons and gain a lot respect by knowing when it's time for an apology or to admit when've they've not taken the time to research the topic before opening mouth and inserting foot.

Here is an example of what I said above about "when men realize there is a shortage of women". Contrary to what PMP said about men treating women better and giving them more value .....

When Chinese officials created the country’s one-child-per-couple policy in 1978, they intended to contain the country’s burgeoning population for the sake of economic growth, national security and environmental preservation.
But Chinese boys now outnumber Chinese girls by the millions, and the impact of the lopsided sex imbalance is starting to spill beyond China’s borders.
This phenomenon of “missing girls” has turned China into “a giant magnet” for human traffickers, who lure or kidnap women and sell them — even multiple times — into forced marriages or the commercial sex trade, says Ambassador Mark Lagon, who oversaw human rights issues at the State Department during the administration of President George W. Bush.
“The impact is obvious. It’s creating a ‘Wild West’ sex industry in China,” Mr. Lagon said.
In China, “an entire nation of women” is missing because they were aborted before they were born, said Reggie Littlejohn, founder of Women’s Rights Without Frontiers, a nonprofit anti-sex slavery group. “This is gendercide.”

http://www.getreligion.org/2010/01/got-news-chinas-missing-girls/