PDA

View Full Version : It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Jupiter!

KarlMarx
09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but, there is a very bright "star" in the Eastern sky that is plainly visible around 8:30 PM.

The "star" is actually the planet Jupiter. It is shining in the sky at magnitude -2.9 (which means, it's the brightest thing in the sky after the Sun and the Moon).

Jupiter is at its closest approach to the Earth since 1963, therefore, it appears very bright.

If you have binoculars, you may be able to see some of its moons (Jupiter has 63 moons... the four largest are Ganymede, Callisto, Io, and Europa)... with a telescope... it's a cinch you'll not only see its moons, but some of the feature of its surface... the most famous is the Great Red Spot (which is 3 times the size of Earth)

Noir
09-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Indeedy, I've had the telescope out, it's pretty much in the perfect position to be viewed through our roof hatch ^_^

Mr. P
09-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I think I'll brush the dust off of my daughters telescope and take a peek.

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
We've noticed it in the last week ... prior to that we have had coastal fog that rolls in every night ... but this week has been very nice .... spending loads of time on back patio ... live in the country so few lights and the stars are phenomenal. It's interesting to see how the big dipper has moved in the sky since the grandkids were here in July.

When I'm sitting on my patio I look to the east and Jupiter shows up just between two redwoods....right now it's positioned about where the moon would be rising when it's full.

Pretty cool.

Mr. P
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
We've noticed it in the last week ... prior to that we have had coastal fog that rolls in every night ... but this week has been very nice .... spending loads of time on back patio ... live in the country so few lights and the stars are phenomenal. It's interesting to see how the big dipper has moved in the sky since the grandkids were here in July.

When I'm sitting on my patio I look to the east and Jupiter shows up just between two redwoods....right now it's positioned about where the moon would be rising when it's full.

Pretty cool. Hey, watch for satellites when yer gazin. They look just like stars but move pretty fast, usually from west to east but not always.

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey, watch for satellites when yer gazin. They look just like stars but move pretty fast, usually from west to east but not always.

Well, dang it!!! I thought those were shooting stars and I've been making a whole potful of wishes on them....now you're telling me they are satellites and have no power to grant my wishes? :slap:

Mr. P
09-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Well, dang it!!! I thought those were shooting stars and I've been making a whole potful of wishes on them....now you're telling me they are satellites and have no power to grant my wishes? :slap:
No, they're not as bright as a shooting star and you can see them traverse until they're out of site.

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
No, they're not as bright as a shooting star and you can see them traverse until they're out of site.

I was just teasing you Mr. P! All my wishes have come true so I know I didn't waste any on those sats!

Mr. P
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I was just teasing you Mr. P! All my wishes have come true so I know I didn't waste any on those sats!
I know you were kiddin..just want to be clear cuz many folks don't believe you can see sats with the naked eye. It's pretty cool.

SassyLady
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I know you were kiddin..just want to be clear cuz many folks don't believe you can see sats with the naked eye. It's pretty cool.

:cool: