PDA

View Full Version : Just don't call it a 'stimulus'

red states rule
09-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Looks like the word stimulus ranks up there with the word liberal inside the White House :laugh2:

President Barack Obama has “no problem” with the idea that he’s trying to stimulate the economy. He’s just not quite willing to call his new economic proposals a stimulus.

Obama repeatedly avoided using the word during his Friday news conference, using a grab bag of other terms to describe the $787 billion package that passed in 2009 and the White House’s fresh infrastructure spending proposal.

Asked by Chip Reid of CBS to explain why officials have tried to “avoid the word ‘stimulus’ like the plague,” Obama defended the first wave of recovery spending enacted last year.

He called it an “economic plan.”

“We put in place an economic plan that 95 percent of economists say substantially helped us avoid a depression,” he said. “A third of that economic plan was tax cuts for individuals and for small businesses.”

Pressed on whether his new spending proposal was a “second stimulus,” Obama relented — but only a little.

“Everything we've been trying to do is designed to stimulate growth and additional jobs in the economy,” he said.

“I have no problem with people saying, ‘The president is trying to stimulate growth and hiring.’ Isn't that what I should be doing?” Obama replied. “I would assume that's what Republicans think we should do: to stimulate growth and jobs.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/41975.html

Solar
09-12-2010, 09:21 AM
When will the lbs ever learn, it's not governments place to create jobs? Period!!!

red states rule
09-12-2010, 09:34 AM
When will the lbs ever learn, it's not governments place to create jobs? Period!!!

Hey get with the current terms used by the WH

It is not jobs created

it is "lives touched"

Solar
09-12-2010, 09:42 AM

It is not jobs created

it is "lives touched"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Always about emotion, never logic.

P3dotme
09-12-2010, 09:44 AM

It seemed to have worked in the great depression, maybe a totalitarianism state isn't as bad as we think it is it might be in our own backyard

red states rule
09-12-2010, 09:45 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Always about emotion, never logic.

Well you can;t expect Dems to actually talk about the LOST jobs since the stimulus was passed do you?

They never could explain what a "saved" job was - so now they say the number of lives touched by the stimulus

Now the stimulus touched all of us who pays taxes in the wallet. other then that, the stimulus has been a total failure

red states rule
09-12-2010, 09:47 AM
It seemed to have worked in the great depression, maybe a totalitarianism state isn't as bad as we think it is it might be in our own backyard

The fact is, government spending did NOT get the country out of the Great Depression

WWII did

FDR prolonged the Depression and got people thinking they were ENTITLED to other peoples money in the form of government handouts

P3dotme
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM
The fact is, government spending did NOT get the country out of the Great Depression

WWII did

FDR prolonged the Depression and got people thinking they were ENTITLED to other peoples money in the form of government handouts

As it is obvious that WWII finished the job of getting the U.S out of depression, the new deal worked for a period of time. It just that controlling jobs can't work for a long time, so I agree partially.

red states rule
09-12-2010, 02:42 PM
As it is obvious that WWII finished the job of getting the U.S out of depression, the new deal worked for a period of time. It just that controlling jobs can't work for a long time, so I agree partially.

The Raw Deal did nothing except extend out the depression. Hoover passed a tax increase that led to the depression, and under FDR the top rate hit went above 80%

Who would hire workers knowing most of their profit would go to the government?

Like Obama, when the "make work jobs" ended - those people still could not find a job in the private sector

Obama has outspent FDR in only 2 years - and is now the record holder for adding debt to the nations credit card

cornfed
09-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I am just a newbie here, but this site is named "debate policy". I don't see any debate going on here....just a bunch of anti-administration republicans patting themselves on the back for their mutual hatred of the president. Where can I find this supposed debate? Or is this all just a sham?

jimnyc
09-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I am just a newbie here, but this site is named "debate policy". I don't see any debate going on here....just a bunch of anti-administration republicans patting themselves on the back for their mutual hatred of the president. Where can I find this supposed debate? Or is this all just a sham?

And what part of YOUR post was a debate? If a few "conservatives" post, I doubt a debate will begin till someone on the left gives their input. Instead, you'd rather vomit as a post and complain. Don't like it here? Go to the following page:

A page more suitable for you (http://www.google.com)

jimnyc
09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Nevermind, ignore the intrusion. One way for MFM to immediately get noticed and out himself is by complaining about the board with his very first post.

Gaffer
09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
virgil just keeps on trying.

red states rule
09-13-2010, 03:02 AM
virgil just keeps on trying.

I hope he sneaks back in on November 3 and shares his insights on the election results :laugh2:

Oh wait, we can read the home page of Moveon.org instead

red states rule
09-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Nevermind, ignore the intrusion. One way for MFM to immediately get noticed and out himself is by complaining about the board with his very first post.

Jim, I guess Virgil has no place else to go

I see he was banned from USMB as well

red states rule
09-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Back to the topic at hand

Despite the fact all the sepnding to stimulate the economy has been a failure, Obama is still foing business as usual

With the nation suffering from high unemployment, tepid growth and low confidence, President Obama on Friday made a bold change - he slightly rearranged his economic team. Austan D. Goolsbee, who has been at Mr. Obama's side since his 2004 Senate campaign, now heads the Council of Economic Advisers. Mr. Goolsbee replaced Christina Romer, who once again is teaching at the University of California at Berkeley.

It's hard to blame her for returning to the job in which she collected $249,277 from Golden State taxpayers in 2008. Mr. Obama's advisers, insulated from the effects of a recession that has devastated the private sector, have less reason to question the wisdom of diverting the nation's wealth into the public sector. It's no coincidence that Mr. Goolsbee dedicated a good deal of his energy in academia to defending the claim that increased tax rates have little effect on how hard people work. It's as if we were playthings in his economic laboratory who aren't supposed to know what's going on.

Last September, for example, Mr. Goolsbee tried to disguise the fact that Obamacare imposed new taxes. He insisted that the "fee" imposed on those who don't buy health insurance wasn't really a tax because whenever someone without health insurance is hurt and requires health care, that imposes costs on everyone else. Now that the health care proposal is law, the administration has dropped the pretense, and the government's official position in a federal court case is that this Obamacare levy, in fact, is a new tax.

Mr. Goolsbee also likes to disguise the spending side of Mr. Obama's policies by invoking former President George W. Bush. In June 2009, Mr. Goolsbee told Fox News Sunday that "compared to the actual policies that George Bush had in place, what they call the current policy baseline, Obama is cutting the deficit more than $2 trillion over the 10 years compared with what he was inheriting." With a federal debt of $14.3 trillion and a 2010 deficit of $1.3 trillion, Mr. Obama has little standing to criticize Mr. Bush for the $459 billion deficit posted in fiscal 2008.

The economy will not fully recover until the president moves away from the failed tax-and-spend government stimulus policies of the New Deal era. Entrepreneurs are not going to risk their capital so long as they know that the likes of Mr. Goolsbee will continue to advise the president to tax away any potential reward. It's up to voters in November to decide whether to use Congress to promote a pro-growth change that investors can believe in.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/sep/10/obamas-cure-for-malaise-more-of-the-same/

KarlMarx
09-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Remember everyone... FDR did NOT end the Great Depression, his policies made it worse....

Hitler and Hirohito unwittingly ended the Great Depression by plunging the world into a World War... thus creating millions of defense jobs in this country

If FDR handled WWII the same way he handled the Great Depression, we'd still be fighting it....

bullypulpit
09-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Let's just cut through the bullshit, shall we?

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2265681/2266156/10.gif

That's how the numbers shake out. All politics aside, economically, Americans...mostly middle and lower incomes...do far better under Democrats than they do Republicans. Get over it.

SassyLady
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Let's just cut through the bullshit, shall we?

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2265681/2266156/10.gif

That's how the numbers shake out. All politics aside, economically, Americans...mostly middle and lower incomes...do far better under Democrats than they do Republicans. Get over it.

Delete the income growth rate for government jobs and make it exclusive to private sector....because I believe the income rate goes up under Dem presidents due to the increase in governmental jobs.

bullypulpit
09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Delete the income growth rate for government jobs and make it exclusive to private sector....because I believe the income rate goes up under Dem presidents due to the increase in governmental jobs.

Source...? :link:?

red states rule
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Yea BP, Obama and the Dems have done alot for the middle class. Poverty is at an all time high. Foreclosures continue to set records. Unemployment continues to increase. Now thanks to Obamacare, those who still have jobs are seeing the cost of their healtcare insurance increase

If Dems care about us in the middle class please tell them not to care about us

It would be so much cheaper for us and maybe then we can all be working fulltime jobs

Indy
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM

It is not jobs created

it is "lives touched"

:laugh: That one really got me. Doesn't matter if they worked one day or four hours on a job. They got touched. I think this administration is touched, touched in the head.

bullypulpit
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
This just in...Deficit down 13% from the same period in 2009. Down 8% overall.

<blockquote>The August shortfall was 13% less than recorded a year ago, but is still likely to add fresh fuel to an election-year debate about spending and taxes that's roiling Washington.

The deficit is nearly $1.3 trillion in the first 11 months of the fiscal year, the Treasury report also showed Monday. That's $111 billion or 8% lower than the same period in fiscal 2009. - <a href=http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-runs-91-billion-budget-deficit-in-august-2010-09-13>MarketWatch</a></blockquote>

red states rule
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
This just in...Deficit down 13% from the same period in 2009. Down 8% overall.

<blockquote>The August shortfall was 13% less than recorded a year ago, but is still likely to add fresh fuel to an election-year debate about spending and taxes that's roiling Washington.

The deficit is nearly $1.3 trillion in the first 11 months of the fiscal year, the Treasury report also showed Monday. That's $111 billion or 8% lower than the same period in fiscal 2009. - <a href=http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-runs-91-billion-budget-deficit-in-august-2010-09-13>MarketWatch</a></blockquote>

and the defict was only $500 billion under Bush's last budget

So now a $1.3 TRILLION deficit is good news???? Remeber there is still one month to go in the budget year BP

I wonder why the Dems refuse to reveal next years budget until AFTER the November election if things are going good?

red states rule
09-13-2010, 07:29 PM
:laugh: That one really got me. Doesn't matter if they worked one day or four hours on a job. They got touched. I think this administration is touched, touched in the head.

It touched those of us still working in the wallet

Over a trillion dollars flushed down the drain

Indy
09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Yea BP, Obama and the Dems have done alot for the middle class. Poverty is at an all time high. Foreclosures continue to set records. Unemployment continues to increase. Now thanks to Obamacare, those who still have jobs are seeing the cost of their healtcare insurance increase

If Dems care about us in the middle class please tell them not to care about us

It would be so much cheaper for us and maybe then we can all be working fulltime jobs
This is the extent of how much Obama and his cohorts care.
http://www.tysknews.com/Articles/dnc_corruption.htm

red states rule
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM
This is the extent of how much Obama and his cohorts care.
http://www.tysknews.com/Articles/dnc_corruption.htm

and look what the voters are saying

Pay attention BP

53% Favor Repeal of Health Care Law

51% Favor Extending Bush Tax Cuts For The Wealthy

Just 9% of Consumers Rate U.S. Economy as Good or Excellent

61% Say Cutting Spending Will Create More Jobs Than Obama’s New $50 Billion Program

29% Say U.S. Heading in Right Direction

68% Favor Smaller Government, Lower Taxes

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/

Indy
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM

So now a $1.3 TRILLION deficit is good news???? Remeber there is still one month to go in the budget year BP

I wonder why the Dems refuse to reveal next years budget until AFTER the November election if things are going good?

It's all part of their transparency of change. It's all a secret, just like his scholastic records. The Alinskyite believes in the Alinsky method of obstruction, lies, and deceit. As long as it gets the desired result, it's justifiable.

red states rule
09-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Looks like BP got "bored" again and has rode off into the sunset :laugh2:

SassyLady
09-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Source...? :link:?
What??? Source?? .... for my opinion about your stats? My brain. :coffee:

Perhaps you can't think without your talking points, but I can actually look at something and come to my own conclusion......which is, remove the government created jobs and then we'll make a comparison....until then, I don't support your stats.

red states rule
09-14-2010, 03:49 AM
What??? Source?? .... for my opinion about your stats? My brain. :coffee:

Perhaps you can't think without your talking points, but I can actually look at something and come to my own conclusion......which is, remove the government created jobs and then we'll make a comparison....until then, I don't support your stats.

Your stimulus tax dollars at work

Based on the Recovery.gov data, more than two third of the 594,754.3 jobs “created or saved” with the stimulus funds were “created or saved” in the Department of Education (see chart). Basically, what the administration meant by shovel ready projects was funding for your next door teacher.

http://biggovernment.com/vderugy/2010/03/10/who-is-the-stimulus-money-stimulating-teachers/

http://biggovernment.com/files/2010/03/jobschart.png

bullypulpit
09-14-2010, 04:10 AM

Bush budget numbers didn't include TARP or off budget spending, like it all was, on the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Your selective memory betrays you again Red. Sucks bein' you, what with facts and reality having a librul bias an' all. :laugh2: