PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take To Raise The Level Of Debate...

Dante
09-13-2010, 01:03 AM
What Would It Take To Raise The Level Of Debate...with you?

Be specific about yourself. Do not talk about others. Try keeping things simple. Speak for yourself and to your own intentions and skills.

:salute:

red states rule
09-13-2010, 04:16 AM

Be specific about yourself. Do not talk about others. Try keeping things simple. Speak for yourself and to your own intentions and skills.

You can post on any thread you please to try and raise the level od debate

This thread serves no useful purpose

Thread closed

Kathianne
09-13-2010, 05:39 AM
I reopened this, if people wish to respond they may do so or ignore. I doubt that people can describe what 'they' should do to improve debate. Perhaps others have thoughts? Or not. ;)

jimnyc
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM

Facts. Debating opinions is cool, but presenting credible facts into a debate makes one a more clear "winner".

Less personal aka name calling in posts. We all do it, and we'll probably all continue to do so when we get heated, but I love seeing a good debate between participants with lengthy replies about the subject and each remaining civil towards one another.

That's about it for me. The rest is fun, and why the board is here in the first place, for people to debate their respective points of view.

krisy
09-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Depends on the topic for me. Some fire me up more than others,and to the point that I may not even repond!

Most of the things that draw me in are in line with conservative values. Abortion, big government, and those darn 9/11 conspiracy theories drive me nuts. I am willing to listen for sure tho to the other side,but chances are they won't chnage my mind becuase for a lot of these issues I have heard the arguments and for me they don't jive:salute:

Poltical correctness is another issue that I cannot stand.

Kathianne
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
I like discussing topics more than formal 'debating.' I posted a whole bunch of threads on education, but no one else seemed to find education problems or solutions interesting. That's ok, I may write something longer on them at some point.

I usually do not care for religion topics, I figure that's a person's business.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows I don't like racism, but I can post prolifically on those that think it's a great idea. ;)

I think it basically comes down to that while I have my opinion, for the most part I'm pretty sure I'm not always right and try to leave an open mind that another might just be correct.

Noir
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, I don't really get the question XD
I debate to my highest ability, I'd assume everyone else does too, so idk how I'd do any better than I am.

chloe
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM

a 5th and an education:laugh:

Palin Rider
09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Every member, myself included, must accept personal responsibility for:

1. Being civil when addressing any other member,
2. Fostering an atmosphere where we all make points and defend or criticize them logically
3. Reporting antisocial behavior.

If we slack off on any of these, the trolls multiply like bacteria.
:trolls:

Dante
10-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Every member, myself included, must accept personal responsibility for:

1. Being civil when addressing any other member,
2. Fostering an atmosphere where we all make points and defend or criticize them logically
3. Reporting antisocial behavior.

If we slack off on any of these, the trolls multiply like bacteria.
:trolls:

One issue. Reporting. One man or woman's troll is another's debate partner. What is anti-social to one may just be a style to another.

Well, I don't really get the question XD
I debate to my highest ability, I'd assume everyone else does too, so idk how I'd do any better than I am.

Actually, I think it is threads like this one that serve the ideal without calling into question any one style, tactic, or member.

thank you

:laugh2:

I reopened this, if people wish to respond they may do so or ignore. I doubt that people can describe what 'they' should do to improve debate. Perhaps others have thoughts? Or not. ;)

thank you.

and I fully understand the caution of the staff for it's initial response to the thread,

I am one who is guilty of having a style that is guaranteed to rub most people the wrong way. I like it that way. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but whatever it is it serves me well. I have a very thick skin.

thank you for all present and future staff infection(s) and injection(s)

:laugh2:

gabosaurus
10-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Get rid of all the crazy hateful Con Reps and Teabaggers. That would help greatly.

Nukeman
10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Get rid of all the crazy hateful Con Reps and Teabaggers. That would help greatly.

Why so you can have a circle jerk patting each other on the back and telling each other how great and enlighted you are!!!!!!

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noir
10-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Just put all those that you'd consider of that ilk on ignore, problem solved.

DragonStryk72
10-12-2010, 08:01 PM

See this right here? This lowers the debate. Calling me a name- Teabagger- utterly lowers the debate to childish name-calling. There's no excuse for it, regardless of who starts it. You have a choice, you can be the bigger person.

What really raises the level of debate is concession, oddly enough. Conceding a point means to me that you are honestly weighing all of my points reasonably, and thus are truly engaging in actual debate.

revelarts
10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
A couple of things that help me is reminding myself that I have something in common with everyone here. Where all human beings Created by God trying to make it day to day. And that as much as I might disagree with someone there's some shade of opinion that I can agree with. I've yet to find someone completely wrong about everything and even if they where, I'm not sure I'd be smart enough to realize it. But some of you folks ideas do make worry.

But to me name calling is just useless, sometime facts and reason are useless too but at least it's something to base a real conversation on. Which is what i think most of us are here for. I usually learn something from others potions and it makes me check my own positions. Even if people deny a fact 18 different ways to avoid it then, when it's proven beyond a reasonable doubt, they stop commenting. At least it's been about the facts. Not personal attacks based on stereotypes right, left or otherwise.

I have notice that on the 3 boards that I've frequented( one mostly left ,this one mostly right, the other 60/40 left) that there is a tendency for partisans to disbelieve ANY fact that doesn't come from their favorite mouth pieces. On the mostly liberal board NOTHING fox news, O'Riely, Michelle Malkin, Limbaugh, Beck or the hated Republican Spokes person of the day says could ever be really true. And here NOTHING CNBC, Media Matters, Kieth Olbermann, Michael Moore, the liberal MSM or the hated Democratic official of the day says could ever be really true. And there side are LIARS and our side TELLS THE TRUTH , except for when, on rare occasion, they make an honest mistake.

It's the most frustrating thing to me about any of the debate boards. you can't even bring up a topic without someone , not questioning the source, that's OK, but OUT OF HAND DISMISSING facts because of the source. That really shows me that the person doesn't realize how the adherence to their position or group has clouded their reason and objectivity. Facts are facts, the source makes a little difference in the final analysis of a subject or event.

I mean if a Nazi Klansman Jew hater or a Commie Transvestite abortion nurse says it's raining outside, it just might be. Check it out at least. Even if they were wrong the day before.

I'm getting ready to ramble, that my 2 cents.

darin
10-13-2010, 06:12 AM
There's no excuse for it, regardless of who starts it. You have a choice, you can be the bigger person.

I'm unconvinced she has a choice. Leopard and spots sorta thing. :(

gabosaurus
10-13-2010, 11:42 AM
See this right here? This lowers the debate. Calling me a name- Teabagger- utterly lowers the debate to childish name-calling. There's no excuse for it, regardless of who starts it. You have a choice, you can be the bigger person.

And you don't say insulting things about liberals, right? Of course not.
Teabaggers have no sense of humor. :)

DragonStryk72
10-14-2010, 03:30 AM
And you don't say insulting things about liberals, right? Of course not.
Teabaggers have no sense of humor. :)

Actually, I don't.