PDA

View Full Version : Bush flip-flops on troop withdrawal timetables

gabosaurus
05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
How ironic is it that, in vetoing the Congressional troop withdrawal bill, Bush stated that he did not believe in timetables. He said they didn't work and he was totally again them.
Yet, during the U.S. intervention in Bosnia in the late 1990's, Bush was one of many GOP leaders who demanded that Clinton set a timetable for withdrawal.
Look through Shrub's records for a speech he made in June of 1999:

I think it’s important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they would be withdrawn.

I guess the 'W' stands for 'Waffle' :laugh2:

Gaffer
05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
How ironic is it that, in vetoing the Congressional troop withdrawal bill, Bush stated that he did not believe in timetables. He said they didn't work and he was totally again them.
Yet, during the U.S. intervention in Bosnia in the late 1990's, Bush was one of many GOP leaders who demanded that Clinton set a timetable for withdrawal.

I guess he changed his mind about time tables. we're still in bosnia and kosovo. Isn't it time we brought those troops home? After all bosnia and kosovo are civil wars and we don't need to be in the middle of that. Our troops are just there keeping them from killing each other.

typomaniac
05-02-2007, 03:53 PM
George W having a beer:

Chessplayer
05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I guess he changed his mind about time tables. we're still in bosnia and kosovo. Isn't it time we brought those troops home? After all bosnia and kosovo are civil wars and we don't need to be in the middle of that. Our troops are just there keeping them from killing each other.

That's a good point.

In 1999, Bush Demanded A Timetable

In 1999, George W. Bush criticized President Clinton for not setting a timetable for exiting Kosovo, and yet he refuses to apply the same standard to his war.

George W. Bush, 4/9/99:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is.”

And on the specific need for a timetable, here’s what Bush said then and what he says now:

George W. Bush, 6/5/99

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.”

Gaffer
05-02-2007, 08:50 PM
That's a good point.

In 1999, Bush Demanded A Timetable

In 1999, George W. Bush criticized President Clinton for not setting a timetable for exiting Kosovo, and yet he refuses to apply the same standard to his war.

George W. Bush, 4/9/99:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is.”

And on the specific need for a timetable, here’s what Bush said then and what he says now:

George W. Bush, 6/5/99

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.”

When you go into a war you don't do it with a set schedule. A time table is stupid and I think Bush has learned that. And exit strategy is just a retreat plan after you have had your ass kicked. You exit when the mission is completed. When there's no enemy left to fight you can exit. Nothing stratgic about it.

diuretic
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM
When you go into a war you don't do it with a set schedule. A time table is stupid and I think Bush has learned that. And exit strategy is just a retreat plan after you have had your ass kicked. You exit when the mission is completed. When there's no enemy left to fight you can exit. Nothing stratgic about it.

So what should have happened?

Gaffer
05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
So what should have happened?

Don't know what you mean?

Yurt
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM

What is it about "set timeline" that you don't understand? The only waffle here is the one between your ears.

diuretic
05-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Don't know what you mean?

Sorry, need to clarify.

Where did Bush go wrong? I read your post and thought about it:

When you go into a war you don't do it with a set schedule - a fair point. There's no set schedule but there are clear objectives and you're right, it's bloody stupid to set a timeline against the objectives. But, how long do you stay at it, trying to achieve those objectives?

and

And exit strategy is just a retreat plan after you have had your ass kicked.

IF you can exit.

Since the west are the invaders and occupiers there's the luxury of withdrawal. There's no driving imperative to stay if the effort is failing is there?

If it's your own country being invaded and occupied well, there is no exit strategy to speak of, there's only keep going until you're all dead, the occupiers leave or some sort of armistice is declared.

You exit when the mission is completed. When there's no enemy left to fight you can exit. Nothing stratgic about it

But what if the mission is impossible to achieve? As I said above, the insurgents have three objectives - to keep going until they're all dead (or more accurately the numbers are so low that they can' tmount a decent opposition any longer); until the occupation forces leave or there's an armistice.

Your enemy has that mindset. Since I don't think that they will ever run out of bodies to throw at you the first can be scratched. So in their eyes they can either seek an armistice or wait you out. You have to leave, they don't.

So, given all that, how should Bush have done it?

lily
05-02-2007, 11:41 PM

You know...........I wish "you people" would get with the program. Time tables are so passe'. It is now called benchmarks....which he was all for in his SOTU address.

Honestly can someone answer me, what is so wrong about asking that they actually DO something in Iraq by themselves? You know...that old stand up thing, or don't they say that anmore? It's so hard to keep up!

Baron Von Esslingen
05-03-2007, 01:35 AM
The "W" stands for weasel.

Pale Rider
05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
The "W" stands for weasel.

And "V" stands for vulgar.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-03-2007, 01:46 AM
And "V" stands for vulgar.

I agree. This is the most vulgar administration in our country's history. He makes Nixon look like a frikken Quaker. And he's still a weasel who cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-03-2007, 01:50 AM

They aren't shooting at us in either of those places. Funny how it works when you go in with a plan that is well-thought out, based on the reality of a situation and not based on political theory, how you can be successful and bring peace to an area. Bush changed his mind alright because he thought he was smarter than Bubba. Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! You lose.

stephanie
05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I agree. This is the most vulgar administration in our country's history. He makes Nixon look like a frikken Quaker. And he's still a weasel who cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Aaaaaaa...You seemed to have skipped over the Clinton administration..

You have a whole host of words for that one...ummmm..let me see..:poke:

lily
05-03-2007, 11:38 PM
I agree. He makes Nixon look like a frikken Quaker.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
The wisdom of your remarks is unmistakable, BVE.

They aren't shooting at us in either of those places. Funny how it works when you go in with a plan that is well-thought out, based on the reality of a situation and not based on political theory, how you can be successful and bring peace to an area. Bush changed his mind alright because he thought he was smarter than Bubba. Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! You lose.

But, there are those that started cursing Bill Clinton in 1992 after his ELECTION and before he ever took office and they still curse him despite the quintupling of American millionaires and billionaires during his administration. These are rich boy and girl wannabees that still believe the rEpublicans are somehow interested in the general progression of average American wealth, health and happiness. They don't know the truth, they can't be taught the truth, they will go to their graves almost as ignorant as they were on their birth dates and they will suffice it all to say "I protected my values" as they have shat upon the values of the country they swear and promise to uphold.

They have no understanding of American values other than those administered to them by richer rEpublicans.

I have to admit, once again on this board, I was victimized as well. But, I thought about it and I will not be victimized again by the lies of the rEpublicans.