PDA

View Full Version : TSA mandate: You must provide info on yourself 72 hours before any airline travel?

Little-Acorn
09-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Found something interesting on American Airlines' website. Apparently there's a new Federal mandate saying that you can't fly unless you provvide certain personal data at least 72 hours beforehand.

Does this mean no one can make last-minute reservations any more, emergency travel, etc.?

I'm pretty sure this is not a joke. Anyone else heard of this new directive?

Your papers, please!

-------------------------------------------

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/secureFlight.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=secureflight

TSA Secure Flight Information

As a result of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) mandate, beginning November 1, all passengers will be required to have Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) in their reservation at least 72 hours prior to departure. This is the next phase in a program that was initiated by the TSA in 2009.

In compliance with this mandate you will be required to provide Secure Flight Passenger Data:

To purchase any ticket on or after September 15, 2010
To travel November 1, 2010, or later regardless of purchase date
You will be unable to travel without providing the following information.

* Full Name (first, middle and last name, as it appears on the non-expired government-issued photo ID that you will use when traveling)
* Date of Birth

You will need to provide Secure Flight Passenger Data:

* If it was not provided when you made your reservation
* For reservations made prior to adding SFPD to your AAdvantage account profile
* For all future reservations

NightTrain
09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
They already have all of this info when you check in, all this does is give them more opportunity to background check and arrest persons of interest before they get on the plane.

DragonStryk72
09-20-2010, 01:29 AM
They already have all of this info when you check in, all this does is give them more opportunity to background check and arrest persons of interest before they get on the plane.

Yeah, but if you were gonna flag someone, then wouldn't they already flag when the info is given, regardless?

All this excess crap at the airports for "security" is crap. The only thing we could have done that would have 9/11 really would be to have had federal marshalls on the planes who are armed. We've done that now, so all the rest of this just smacks of trying to look like they're doing something.

NightTrain
09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, but if you were gonna flag someone, then wouldn't they already flag when the info is given, regardless?

I would assume that they get overwhelmed during high volume days and this would let them do a more thorough job. I fly almost every week in the summer months and this doesn't bother me a bit. I have nothing to hide and as I said before, they already get this when you check in.

If they nab Achmed trying to fly under the radar because they had extra time to check him out with his bogus ID / Passport, then it's a great idea in my book.

DragonStryk72
09-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I would assume that they get overwhelmed during high volume days and this would let them do a more thorough job. I fly almost every week in the summer months and this doesn't bother me a bit. I have nothing to hide and as I said before, they already get this when you check in.

If they nab Achmed trying to fly under the radar because they had extra time to check him out with his bogus ID / Passport, then it's a great idea in my book.

Actually, it all happens via computer now, you can get flagged within an hour of a report being put in. Airports are the first place that persons of interest get cut off from. I'd actually be more worried about Greyhound, where the ID protocols are much looser.

And if he's got a bogus passport that's good enough to get through the airport day of the flight, then it's good enough three days before the flight. It really doesn't change anything, it just looks like they're doing something.

revelarts
09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
the underwear bombers Dad told the right people about him AND his passport was crap and he still got on the plane, the security is B.S..
just for show, with the added benefit of getting another unconstitutional hook into citizens lives under the pretense of safety.

hjmick
09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I'd rather drive anyway...