PDA

View Full Version : Bad week - hopefully will get better

jimnyc
09-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I know I've been an unhealthy type of person for quite some time. I'm not fond of the medications I take. I eat like a 12 year old. Too much caffeine, junk food and other sweets. Worst of all my nasty cigarette addiction has reached 2 1/2 packs per day. Here in NY, that is $25 a day on my addiction.

Losing my Mom to cancer recently of course left me feeling horrible about my addiction, but I think so many things happened so fast that I was blinded to a lot of things. Starting a few weeks back I was getting more and more depressed and having horrible thoughts and lack of sleep. I thought of Mom nonstop. I then started thinking of my son. My wife. And how I fucked up so many things over the years with addictions of one sort or another.

On Thursday I said fuck this, I can't take all this stuff anymore and I decided I wanted to finally rid myself of so many addictions. I figured I would quit smoking, and get off the worst of my medications (Seroquel), which has caused me to gain about 50lbs in the past year alone. I immediately started tapering back the medication.

Used up the last of my smokes on Thursday and moved to the e-cigs first thing Friday morning. By halfway through the day, I wanted to find the nearest building and jump off. I was nauseous, scared, had anxiety and insomnia. One of the worst days of my life, but I made it. Problem was, I had a crutch in the e-cig -which is still putting nicotine in my system. I know it works for many, but the type of addictive person I am I just know it'll never work.

Woke up Saturday and the horrible urges started immediately. I actually cried a few times when the urges were so bad and I felt hopeless and alone. I had actually cried, for absolutely no understandable reason, several times the day before. I went and bought a pack of smokes. I indulged in 2 of them and thought I felt better. I told my wife - and the 2 of use brought the remaining cigs to the toilet and flushed the other 18. I also handed over to her all of my e-cig stuff. I don't want any crutches leaving me addicted to stuff for life. I actually felt a little better after crying in front of my wife, admitting I felt helpless, and taking the step to rid my house of ALL nicotine products. But Saturday continued and it wasn't easy. Drank about 14 cups of herbal teas (Ginger and Jasmine) which are good for detoxing your body. Drank 5-6 bottle of water. Couldn't eat at all but wife forced a little Ramen noodles on me last evening. The crying, stomach issues, diarrhea, tight chest, coughing up mucus - it's enough to make you believe you are dying and that it's impossible to get through these situations. My wife and son congratulated me for making it through that day.

Woke up this morning and immediately wanted a cigarette, but it wasn't overly bearing. I had a cup of tea (I only want one normal caffeinated tea per day) and went for a bike ride. Came home and sweated and paced for a few hours and had myself convinced I can't do this. Had a few crying spells. Calling everyone I know when the feeling gets real bad (my family has been awesome, even though they are almost all smokers). Kept drinking these teas and cranberry juice, hoping the quicker I get these toxins out of my body the quicker the healing will begin and the withdrawals will go away. It's nearly 6pm now and I'm almost through another day.

The computer doesn't feel the same without a smoke. I have no desire to drive. Barely cared about today's football games. I need to re-adjust my life to being without smokes - because I WILL NOT FAIL THIS. I am not going to suffer like this for no reason.

The hard part will be tomorrow as it'll be the first day I'll have no support in person. This scares the shit out of me as talking to people and interacting, and feeling love from family is what helps the most. But I imagine I'll be sick some more, maybe vomit a few times, drink a gazillion herbal teas and pee like there's no tomorrow. I'll call a bunch of people and pray to God to allow me to make it through this horrible time.

The only good news is that the experts say the nasty withdrawal "sickness" only lasts about 72-96 hours, and then from there it's all psychological stuff. For me right now is about being able to survive the next one hour without smoking.

I must say, that during the lulls in the "sickness" and the few rare times I don't feel overly anxious, I can actually feel my body repairing itself already, tasting the teas and other little things differently, things smell differently. I just don't know how much will power I have to see through this without failing and I'm continually praying to get through the hardest part.

Enough rambling for this post, probably the withdrawals making me say stupid stuff. Hopefully I'll feel well enough tomorrow to pop in with another update. PLEASE let the experts who say the physical sickness withdrawals are only 72-96hrs!

Sweetchuck
09-19-2010, 05:46 PM
2.5 packs a day?

Holy fuck...

Sweetchuck
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I had to give this some thought before posting a serious reply. 2.5 packs a day is massive, it's beyond addiction.

First, have you gotten any professional help with this? By that I mean a cessation program? You might want to consider that, I don't mean this in a bad way either so don't take it the wrong way.

Do you drink also? They usually go hand in hand. I chew snuff. And drink. I'm fairly drunk right now but I just got back from a FANTASTIC Steeler bar in El Paso. Great fucking place, but I tend to chew and drink at the same time, but I can and often do stop drinking for periods of time but I continue chewing. If I had to choose, I'd just chew. I've stopped that also, but I don't have any desire at this point to stop.

Pagan
09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
My two bits for what it's worth ...

Smoking, wean yourself down a bit before going cold turkey, thats the way I did it in the past. Cut myself down to about 3 a day then went cold turkey. For the record though, after over three years I started Smoking again (being in the middle of a war tends to do that to a person). But I plan on quitting again this year after being being a 1/2 pack to full pack for the last 19 years ....

Also my cholesterol was through the roof, over 260 and the doc put me on the super statins which kills your liver. It only dropped it down 12 points in 4 months, friend of mine turned me on to this -
http://www.cholesterolcarehome.com/
I shit you not I stopped taking the statin's, started taking two of these once with breakfast and once with dinner. In three months it cut my cholesterol in 1/2 to around 130 and I maintain that level, hell I still eat bacon and eggs at least twice a week. The Doc is now recommending this to his other patients before putting them on the statin's.

Now for blood sugar, I take 4 of these twice a day -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4FBQG/ref=oss_product
Also when I get a sweet tooth I eat these, they taste good, too complex of a sugar for the body to digest
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IZM8WY/ref=oss_product

I've got a gut, I'm a Network Engineer by trade and sit on my ass all day so weight has been an issue (need to drop at least 50 lbs). But currently my cholesterol and blood sugar is not an issue nor is my blood pressure, it's very good. All this and I'm still a steady smoker of between 1/2 to 1 pack a day.

Now for energy, don't laugh at it of but this shit works miracles. I use the Gelatinized which removes the starch's so I don't spike my blood sugar. Maca is incredible, no you won't get a big kick like a stimulant but after taking about 1 tablespoon a day in the morning (don't overdue it) then after about a week you will feel it. You sleep better on less hours but are refreshed and have a general sense of feeling well. What it does is gets your glands to start producing the hormones back at the level you had when you where young. It's awesome, my father is 82, takes it and the last trip I took him down to S. America we hiked about 5 miles up the Inca Trail. We were also spending time around 11-12,000 foot level. Not bad for an 82 year old fart ya know.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PAAVWA/ref=oss_product

Anyway I kid you not this has increased my health and energy significantly. I put in a shit load of hours in at work, have been for the last few years and this keeps me going and I haven't had the flue or been down sick in I don't know how long.

Oh and one final point -

CUT OUT ALL and I do mean ALL FAST FOOD PERIOD!!! I get a twinge every now and again, maybe once every couple of months and get a burger. But other than that I don't do fast food.

Anyway, this works for myself and also my Father kicks some serious ass at 82.

This is all Natural and since it's food you won't be killing your organs with the med's the Doc's put you on.

jimnyc
09-19-2010, 07:27 PM
2.5 packs a day?

Holy fuck...

I had to give this some thought before posting a serious reply. 2.5 packs a day is massive, it's beyond addiction.

First, have you gotten any professional help with this? By that I mean a cessation program? You might want to consider that, I don't mean this in a bad way either so don't take it the wrong way.

Do you drink also? They usually go hand in hand. I chew snuff. And drink. I'm fairly drunk right now but I just got back from a FANTASTIC Steeler bar in El Paso. Great fucking place, but I tend to chew and drink at the same time, but I can and often do stop drinking for periods of time but I continue chewing. If I had to choose, I'd just chew. I've stopped that also, but I don't have any desire at this point to stop.

I do see a therapist who is in charge of my other medications. My next appt. is 10/2 - but I figured if the pressure mounted too much I would give him a call and move up the appointment.

I've tried cessation groups in the past, nicotine gum, patch, e-cigs.... They all do help to an extent, but you're still putting nicotine in your system and delaying the inevitable, which is stopping. While it may make the "cold turkey" portion of it more bearable, winding down your smoking can leave you suffering for months as you cut back.

Believe it or not (and I never would have) but the professionals on almost every site I have encountered thus far, and mostly medical sites, all state that the actual nicotine and "nasty" withdrawal process will be out of your body within 96 hours - and this doesn't matter how much you smoked prior. I watched an interview with one guy who smoked 4 packs a day and supposedly didn't have any lasting effects at all. But the consensus is that you WILL suffer pretty badly for lets say a week. From that point on it is much easier and psychological, avoiding things that triggered smoking previously and what to do if you get any desires beyond that point.

I will not fail because I DON'T EVER want to smoke again. I just watched my Mom pass away from smoking most of her life. I know if she could talk to me right now she would be holding me up every time I get an urge and assisting me going forward. I know she would be proud that I made this step. Every single time I feel crappy since I started this a few days ago, I think of Mom and what she would want from me and what would make her proud. I know it's my life to look out for, but watching your Mom pass away sure as hell is a motivator.

Yes, I know I smoked an awful lot, but I'm already on my road to fixing that, one hour and one day at a time. If something should trigger REAL badly, my doctor is 5 minutes away and I'm not afraid to walk into the emergency room if something felt unbearable with no one around.

But I'm convinced to be a non-smoker. I just wish it was easier, but I put this shit in my body and now its up to me to get it out. Read about the recovery process your body goes through when you quit, you'd be surprised to read just how quickly the body starts to repair itself. I know my lungs will never be the equivalent of someone who never smoked, but starting the repair now just might give me another 20 years onto my life.

jimnyc
09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
My two bits for what it's worth ...

Smoking, wean yourself down a bit before going cold turkey, thats the way I did it in the past. Cut myself down to about 3 a day then went cold turkey. For the record though, after over three years I started Smoking again (being in the middle of a war tends to do that to a person). But I plan on quitting again this year after being being a 1/2 pack to full pack for the last 19 years ....

Also my cholesterol was through the roof, over 260 and the doc put me on the super statins which kills your liver. It only dropped it down 12 points in 4 months, friend of mine turned me on to this -
http://www.cholesterolcarehome.com/
I shit you not I stopped taking the statin's, started taking two of these once with breakfast and once with dinner. In three months it cut my cholesterol in 1/2 to around 130 and I maintain that level, hell I still eat bacon and eggs at least twice a week. The Doc is now recommending this to his other patients before putting them on the statin's.

Now for blood sugar, I take 4 of these twice a day -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4FBQG/ref=oss_product
Also when I get a sweet tooth I eat these, they taste good, too complex of a sugar for the body to digest
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IZM8WY/ref=oss_product

I've got a gut, I'm a Network Engineer by trade and sit on my ass all day so weight has been an issue (need to drop at least 50 lbs). But currently my cholesterol and blood sugar is not an issue nor is my blood pressure, it's very good. All this and I'm still a steady smoker of between 1/2 to 1 pack a day.

Now for energy, don't laugh at it of but this shit works miracles. I use the Gelatinized which removes the starch's so I don't spike my blood sugar. Maca is incredible, no you won't get a big kick like a stimulant but after taking about 1 tablespoon a day in the morning (don't overdue it) then after about a week you will feel it. You sleep better on less hours but are refreshed and have a general sense of feeling well. What it does is gets your glands to start producing the hormones back at the level you had when you where young. It's awesome, my father is 82, takes it and the last trip I took him down to S. America we hiked about 5 miles up the Inca Trail. We were also spending time around 11-12,000 foot level. Not bad for an 82 year old fart ya know.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PAAVWA/ref=oss_product

Anyway I kid you not this has increased my health and energy significantly. I put in a shit load of hours in at work, have been for the last few years and this keeps me going and I haven't had the flue or been down sick in I don't know how long.

Oh and one final point -

CUT OUT ALL and I do mean ALL FAST FOOD PERIOD!!! I get a twinge every now and again, maybe once every couple of months and get a burger. But other than that I don't do fast food.

Anyway, this works for myself and also my Father kicks some serious ass at 82.

This is all Natural and since it's food you won't be killing your organs with the med's the Doc's put you on.

Excellent points, advice, and thanks for sharing what helps keep you healthy. I might check out the blood sugar one. This is something that is very important to smokers when first quitting, as "we" need to keep getting the appropriate blood sugar. I've been nibbling what little I can keep down of apple slices, toast, cranberry juice, eggs... I'm no expert, I just know that your blood sugar is messed up when you quit and you can get headaches and other ailments if you don't stay on top of this. I'm an amateur, so I appreciate your advice on that one.

I'm a computer guy too and one way or another my life became about sitting at my desk, or someone elses, and when not doing that I would smoke, eat crap and drink crap. Luckily, I don't really drink alcohol anymore (I think maybe 2x in the past year). No desire anymore for the alcohol, thank God.

No more fast food, no junk food and DEFINITELY no soda, which apparently is not only one of the most fattening things you can drink, but also horrible for your teeth and overall energy and well being.

I want to live and eat within a healthy lifestyle. One cannot really quit cold turkey and be successful without staying on top of their drinking/eating as well - or you are doomed to fail. I will not fail.

Forgot to mention - during this past 3-4 days, from working out, walking, bicycling, pacing and general sweating - I have already lost 10lbs. Yes, I know it's not good so quick, but I am convinced a healthy diet and exercise is going to contribute to me losing a lot of weight as well. I need to lose about another 25lbs altogether, and maybe that'll be feasible with all the energy I'll be expending trying to keep busy, eating healthier and learning a new way to live.

Pagan
09-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Excellent points, advice, and thanks for sharing what helps keep you healthy. I might check out the blood sugar one. This is something that is very important to smokers when first quitting, as "we" need to keep getting the appropriate blood sugar. I've been nibbling what little I can keep down of apple slices, toast, cranberry juice, eggs... I'm no expert, I just know that your blood sugar is messed up when you quit and you can get headaches and other ailments if you don't stay on top of this. I'm an amateur, so I appreciate your advice on that one.

The Yacon is great for nibbles, it's out of S. America and is known as the diabetes root. They make it in a syrup also for a sweetener, my Parents use it. Stay completely away from anything that has high fructose, corn syrup and most of all refined sugar. Cut down on the carbs, but again I've been taking that Gymnema for it's known as the sugar destroyer. It will help you balance your blood sugar, it's been used for centuries and it works.

I'm a computer guy too and one way or another my life became about sitting at my desk, or someone elses, and when not doing that I would smoke, eat crap and drink crap. Luckily, I don't really drink alcohol anymore (I think maybe 2x in the past year). No desire anymore for the alcohol, thank God.

Yeah I've packed on serious weight since I got into this business. Long hours, shitty diet and not much physical activity does it to you. I also don't drink much, but a couple times a year if that I'll go on a bender once in a while with friends, but other than that not much at all.

No more fast food, no junk food and DEFINITELY no soda, which apparently is not only one of the most fattening things you can drink, but also horrible for your teeth and overall energy and well being.

Yet another thing I cut out, I still drink a soda once in a blue moon but pretty much have cut that out completely

I want to live and eat within a healthy lifestyle. One cannot really quit cold turkey and be successful without staying on top of their drinking/eating as well - or you are doomed to fail. I will not fail.

Yep, it's about moderation just like rich foods and delicacies. It's nice every once in a while to enjoy them but the key is moderation in all things ;)

Forgot to mention - during this past 3-4 days, from working out, walking, bicycling, pacing and general sweating - I have already lost 10lbs. Yes, I know it's not good so quick, but I am convinced a healthy diet and exercise is going to contribute to me losing a lot of weight as well. I need to lose about another 25lbs altogether, and maybe that'll be feasible with all the energy I'll be expending trying to keep busy, eating healthier and learning a new way to live.

Yeah I gotta get off my ass more. I live in the city and I haven't driven in over 4 years, no need to. Hell my car is covered in dust and my drivers license expired last year, how cool is that?

But I've hit a wall and need to burn some caleries, I really need to hit the public pool and start swimming to burn them up ya know.

Also if you're over 40 I cannot recommend Maca enough, that seriously does a great job with getting your hormones back into sync again.

Also the brand I highly recommend for the Yacon and Maca is Navitas Naturals as I posted. It's all organic and of very high quality, seriously the best you can get. I've tried other brands from the Health Food Stores and you can tell the difference, big difference. Maca also tastes pretty good, kind of a Butterscotch Malt. I just mix a tablespoon with water and drink it in the mornings, but a lot of people put it into smoothies. It's a root out of the high Andes in Peru, grown around the 12-15,000 ft level. The Inca Warriors would eat it before going into battle, great shit. Like I said nothing drastic but after taking it for a good two - three weeks you will notice an overall increase in vitality, energy and well being. It brings the hormone levels back into balance.

Cheers and good luck, I'll be doing the stop smoking thing myself in a couple of months.

actsnoblemartin
09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
all the best jimmy, love you man

your in my prayers brother :salute:

namvet
09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

chain smokers can do up to 5 paks a day

jimnyc
09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Been another 24hrs and not a lick of nicotine into my system. Very hard when I first wake up, as I wake up immediately with anxiety and the thoughts that I will fail, but I quickly try and get that out of my mind.

Had a caffeinated tea at 6:30 this morning, got stomach issues and went to bathroom, and then within 20 mins of being awake I was out for a half an hour bike ride. Came home and my son and wife were still sleeping, and when you are alone to your own devices is when it "hurts" the most, but I got by. I talked on the phone for like 5 hours to various people today as I find talking about it to be soothing, and it takes my mind off of things.

Chest burns like hell at times and feels very tight, but that is the addiction leaving my body and my lungs and throat healing themselves. But the anxiety is the worst, it gets so bad at times that it leaves me in tears. So I went to see my doctor today to make sure I had the full support of everyone around me. He will take me off the xanax down the road, but doesn't want me to do more than the cigarettes right now. Instead of .25mg of xanax 5 times per day, he gave me a new prescription for 1mg per day of the extended release tablets. It should help keep me calm the majority of the day, or at least help, and it's actually less mg than what I was taking. Once I beat the nicotine I will beat the prescriptions. But he is right when his fear is that I will try and do too much and fail as a result. He promised to work with me slowly to become a healthy person all around and addiction free.

Anyway, a little better today and I guess that's all I can hope for. I will never put nicotine in my system again and I know my Mom is the one helping me when the times are the roughest. I WILL make her proud.

As I eluded to earlier, this is what the body goes through when you quit cold turkey, as far as the body rebuilding itself:

20 minutes - Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.

8 hours - Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.

12 hours - Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.

24 hours - Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.

48 hours - Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.

72 hours - Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.

5 - 8 days - The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.

10 days - 10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

10 days to 2 weeks - Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

2 to 4 weeks - Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.

21 days - Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.

2 weeks to 3 months - Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

3 weeks to 3 months - Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.

1 to 9 months - Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.

1 year - Your excess risk of coronary heart disease has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

5 to 15 years - Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

10 years - Your risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has now decreased.

13 years - Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).

15 years - Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Pagan
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Been another 24hrs and not a lick of nicotine into my system. Very hard when I first wake up, as I wake up immediately with anxiety and the thoughts that I will fail, but I quickly try and get that out of my mind.

>> snip <<

[/url]

Anxiety issues, try these
http://www.amazon.com/Navitas-Naturals-Organic-Chocolate-Cacao/dp/B001ELL9GI/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285023325&sr=8-2

Raw Cacao is excellent for anxiety and depression, they actually call it "Natures Prozac". It's extremely high in antioxidants also, way more than green tea. I'll nibble on these every now and again, some people don't like the bitterness of raw Cacao. It doesn't bother me when I just nibble small bits, about a tablespoon once or twice a day will set you well. If you don't like the bitterness put them in with your cereal in the a.m., mix them with some berries, nuts and what not for a trail mix kinda thing.

Anyway it is an excellent "Natural" way to battle Anxiety and Depression without being stoned or side effects from prescription drugs.

Cheers

PostmodernProphet
09-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I think your making a big mistake about the ecigs....I haven't had a cigarette since January 25 when I started using ecigs....

I started out with 24mg of nicotine per ml.....after a month I was down to 12mg, in June I went to 6mg, now I frequently use a 0mg menthol in the evenings

jimnyc
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I think your making a big mistake about the ecigs....I haven't had a cigarette since January 25 when I started using ecigs....

I started out with 24mg of nicotine per ml.....after a month I was down to 12mg, in June I went to 6mg, now I frequently use a 0mg menthol in the evenings

Everyone is different buddy. I admit, they did help my cravings and didn't taste too bad - but I was still putting nicotine in my system. I respect you more than you know, so please don't think I'm trying to act superior - but while I was in Georgia, on July 4th, I literally watched my Mom take her last breath. I'm a very emotional person and I think I kind of psychologically blocked a portion of the events out, but they came bacl last week with a vengeance - and that's when I decided that no nicotine would ever enter my system again. Cold turkey sucks ass, and you suffer horribly, but the "event" of putting it all behind you will be quicker this way. I deserve to suffer for making the mistake of putting all kinds of crap in my system for the past 22 years.

Today is actually a little better than yesterday. Anxious of course, but I am breathing so much better and feel energized from the moment I wake up until I go to bed (very little sleep right now as a result of the anxiety and withdrawals).

At this point my body is now nicotine free. Now I must re-train my brain when it asks for these chemicals, and find healthier things to reach for or do.

This is another thing keeping me going - I have a little application running at all times on my desktop as incentive to continue - and I would like to add it to the bottom of my posts occasionally as a sort of celebration. I'll still have ill effects for awhile, but it should get easier every day. At $10 a pack here in NY - here are my statistics since quitting:

Jim - Free and Healing for Four Days, 6 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 213 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $106.29.

Abbey Marie
09-21-2010, 03:55 PM
This is another thing keeping me going - I have a little application running at all times on my desktop as incentive to continue - and I would like to add it to the bottom of my posts occasionally as a sort of celebration. I'll still have ill effects for awhile, but it should get easier every day. At $10 a pack here in NY - here are my statistics since quitting:

Jim - Free and Healing for Four Days, 6 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 213 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $106.29.

That is ALL kinds of awesome!

:clap: :thumb: :beer: :2up: :cheers2: :cool: :salute: :thewave: :rock: :boobies:

jimnyc
09-22-2010, 07:28 AM
The rest of yesterday was relatively good. I had a few crave moments, and a few just shitty feeling moments, but overall a much better evening than the night before. The problem I encountered was when going to bed at 11pm last night - just couldn't. Tossed and turned till midnight and I got back up to the TV. Tried headphones with soothing music, warm milk and every other trick I could think of to no avail. I just felt like it was mid-day and not my time to sleep. I guess I finally fell asleep around 3am or so and then was back up at 6:30 and was completely drained. Nonetheless, had my tea and vitamins and went on a lengthy bike ride to get the cardio going and now here I am. Each day gets a little better, but each day leaves you paranoid that certain symptoms will last forever. I know they won't, but it takes a lot of energy to continue forward and convincing yourself as much. Hopefully the rest of today won't be too stressful, I'll try to stay active, and pray that these days keep getting better and better.

Jim - Free and Healing for Four Days, 23 Hours and 27 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 249 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $124.47.

jimnyc
09-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Things appear to be getting better each day (knock on wood). Breathing 1000% better, more stamina, taste better, smell better....

The anxiety is diminishing a bit, but not gone. I am also getting lots of natural energy from eating right, exercising and not loading my system down with chemicals. It almost feels like I drank 10 cups of coffee from 7am till 11pm, but that's a much better feeling than the "unable to describe" withdrawals I had for the first 3-4 days. I'm finding new and better ways to expend that energy and try to tire my body out a bit in hopes of getting a grip on the insomnia. Last evening was a little better as I got about 4-5hrs of sleep. I had an extremely hot bath to relax the muscles that are aching from now being punished after being dormant for so long, followed by a chamomile tea, and warm milk about 1/2 an hour after that. I'm sure as hell sleepy by that point, but the brain and "restless legs" won't let me sleep for the most part.

I haven't really craved a cigarette at all in the past few days. When I feel crappy, I crave to feel better, and then get some carrot sticks or celery sticks and some low fat ranch dip.

Jim - Free and Healing for Six Days, 9 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 319 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $159.51.

Kathianne
09-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Things appear to be getting better each day (knock on wood). Breathing 1000% better, more stamina, taste better, smell better....

The anxiety is diminishing a bit, but not gone. I am also getting lots of natural energy from eating right, exercising and not loading my system down with chemicals. It almost feels like I drank 10 cups of coffee from 7am till 11pm, but that's a much better feeling than the "unable to describe" withdrawals I had for the first 3-4 days. I'm finding new and better ways to expend that energy and try to tire my body out a bit in hopes of getting a grip on the insomnia. Last evening was a little better as I got about 4-5hrs of sleep. I had an extremely hot bath to relax the muscles that are aching from now being punished after being dormant for so long, followed by a chamomile tea, and warm milk about 1/2 an hour after that. I'm sure as hell sleepy by that point, but the brain and "restless legs" won't let me sleep for the most part.

I haven't really craved a cigarette at all in the past few days. When I feel crappy, I crave to feel better, and then get some carrot sticks or celery sticks and some low fat ranch dip.

Jim - Free and Healing for Six Days, 9 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 319 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $159.51.

Regarding the insomnia thing, have you tried reading? Not something you are really interested in, but perhaps a novel or biography? Another possibility is dark room with radio on, once you close your eyes who knows what might happen?

jimnyc
11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Thought I would update this thread as encouragement to those wishing to quit smoking. Here is the stat monitor that pops up on my screen every day:

Jim - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Nine Days, 22 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 10 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3047 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,527.17.

As you can see, I'm just about at the 2 month mark and it's all but a distant memory at this point. Every now and again for a quick second I'll think about having a smoke, out of habit, but there's no "feeling" or withdrawal and 2 seconds later I am thinking of something else.

Going cold turkey was the wisest choice I ever made. 4-5 days of hell and then everything I worried about for 20 years that kept me from quitting was over. Now I only regret not doing it sooner.

Nukeman
11-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Thought I would update this thread as encouragement to those wishing to quit smoking. Here is the stat monitor that pops up on my screen every day:

Jim - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Nine Days, 22 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 10 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3047 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,527.17.

As you can see, I'm just about at the 2 month mark and it's all but a distant memory at this point. Every now and again for a quick second I'll think about having a smoke, out of habit, but there's no "feeling" or withdrawal and 2 seconds later I am thinking of something else.

Going cold turkey was the wisest choice I ever made. 4-5 days of hell and then everything I worried about for 20 years that kept me from quitting was over. Now I only regret not doing it sooner.
Everyone I have ever known that quit said this was the best way. the weaning process can have too much slide back!!!!

Ohh by the way GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!:2up::beer::clap::thumb:

On a side note how's the weight thing going!!!!

jimnyc
11-17-2010, 07:50 AM
On a side note how's the weight thing going!!!!

During the 4-5 day severe withdrawal period I had lost 12lbs. Unfortunately I have gained most of that back. But I've been hitting the gym non-stop and trying my best to eat better as well. Soda was the worst next to the cigarettes and I quit that at the same time too. And while my weight may not be "diminishing", I have had quite a few people tell me I look a lot better since quitting. It wasn't as much the weight as they say I actually even look healthier, more vibrant & more colorful (literally). I'm hoping that eating the best I can and proper exercise will help with the weight gain. But when they tell you that smoking quitters reach for food instead, they weren't kidding! I started with gum and mints, then peanuts and pistachios and now I'm getting worse and reaching for snacks here and there. It's all about will power, of which I have none! But at least I had enough to kick the smoking habit.

Nukeman
11-17-2010, 08:05 AM
During the 4-5 day severe withdrawal period I had lost 12lbs. Unfortunately I have gained most of that back. But I've been hitting the gym non-stop and trying my best to eat better as well. Soda was the worst next to the cigarettes and I quit that at the same time too. And while my weight may not be "diminishing", I have had quite a few people tell me I look a lot better since quitting. It wasn't as much the weight as they say I actually even look healthier, more vibrant & more colorful (literally). I'm hoping that eating the best I can and proper exercise will help with the weight gain. But when they tell you that smoking quitters reach for food instead, they weren't kidding! I started with gum and mints, then peanuts and pistachios and now I'm getting worse and reaching for snacks here and there. It's all about will power, of which I have none! But at least I had enough to kick the smoking habit.
I would say you have more than enough will power, after all you broke a 2 1/2 pack-a-day habit!!!

With the food thing try to keep cold water around and when you feel like eating drink a LARGE glass of cold water, it will fill your stomach and the cold will actually help curb the a hunger feeling. I will warn you that at first it will have you going to the bathroom like crazy especially if you start drinking a lot of water!!!! Good luck!!!

fj1200
11-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Amazing thread, congratulations from another who could be doing better.

Reminds me of a thread of an e-friend that completely changed his eating habits and went from 300+ down to 160ish in an amazingly short time period.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/so-started-diet-earlier-month-119251.html?t=119251&highlight=diet

BTW he also resigned the Political Arena forum there to eliminate that distraction.

jimnyc
11-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I would say you have more than enough will power, after all you broke a 2 1/2 pack-a-day habit!!!

With the food thing try to keep cold water around and when you feel like eating drink a LARGE glass of cold water, it will fill your stomach and the cold will actually help curb the a hunger feeling. I will warn you that at first it will have you going to the bathroom like crazy especially if you start drinking a lot of water!!!! Good luck!!!

Been drinking plenty of water and herbal teas. My only "bad" drink is Vitamin Water. I'm afraid of taking in much more liquid as I already wake up a few times nightly feeling like my bladder is about to explode! LOL

jimnyc
11-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Amazing thread, congratulations from another who could be doing better.

Reminds me of a thread of an e-friend that completely changed his eating habits and went from 300+ down to 160ish in an amazingly short time period.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/so-started-diet-earlier-month-119251.html?t=119251&highlight=diet

BTW he also resigned the Political Arena forum there to eliminate that distraction.

Wow, read only the first post thus far, but it's already inspirational. It's amazing how when we defeat something which has been habitual to us, just how much our lives can change. It changes so much more than just the "habit" portion, as the rest of our lives follow suit.

Mr. P
11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Wow, read only the first post thus far, but it's already inspirational. It's amazing how when we defeat something which has been habitual to us, just how much our lives can change. It changes so much more than just the "habit" portion, as the rest of our lives follow suit.
:2up: Great job Jim !!!

jimnyc
11-17-2010, 11:31 AM
:2up: Great job Jim !!!

Thanks!

But it's just a start. I have about 300 bad habits I need to kick to the curb, this is just the one I've always considered to be the hardest I would face!

SassyLady
11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your success story with all of us Jim. We are very proud of you and your decision to get healthy. I'm sure your family is very proud and hopefully you'll be an inspiration to everyone you know!!!

:thewave:

gabosaurus
11-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Watching the Steelers suck royally on Sunday night obviously did not ease your suffering any.
But the suffering will soon be worth it. You will have more cash in your pocket, better control of your breathing and you won't stink like a dead dog everywhere you go. Hang in there!

actsnoblemartin
11-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Hey Jim,

God Bless You Man

youre doing a tought thing

Best of luck man

:salute:

jimnyc
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Here's my smoking update from the continually running program I use for motivation to stick with it!

I've reached 6,000 cigarettes not smoked! Good thing, but probably more of an indicator as to how much I smoked!

http://i53.tinypic.com/15s1pg2.jpg

And the overall program showing that I saved over $3k thus far!!

http://i56.tinypic.com/30ig8ph.jpg

NightTrain
01-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Congrats, man!

I need to kick the habit as well. $80 for a carton adds up fast and I'm not getting any younger.

jimnyc
01-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Today marks 4 months quitting cold turkey!! Barely even an after thought at this point and easily one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. Even though it was 4-5 days of hell, looking back on it makes me realize just how quickly it went by.

Abbey Marie
01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Today marks 4 months quitting cold turkey!! Barely even an after thought at this point and easily one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. Even though it was 4-5 days of hell, looking back on it makes me realize just how quickly it went by.

You da man!