PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Mentally Ill people in your family?

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh yeah and Sweet chuck will provide the definition of mentally ill later in the thread cuz he's sweet:laugh2:

let's explore the crazies.....

Pagan
09-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Definition of Mental illness is rather up for debate ;)

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Definition of Mental illness is rather up for debate ;)

but I am not good at debating, I only like exploring, can you debate for me, you could insert ----> ( I am debating chloe's point) you might even be able to claim it on your taxes as a deduction helping the handicapped:laugh:

I hope that's not a crazy idea....wink

hjmick
09-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes, yes I do.

More than a couple. Blood family as well as extended family.

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Yes, yes I do.

More than a couple. Blood family as well as extended family.

So you probably have superior skills in dodging controversies, well family drama trains us and when you have loonies in the house you got to be sharp and quick on your toes to respond, unless you break down and join them.:laugh2:

so is it depression, manic depression, schizophrenia, paranoid, psychopath, sociopath, all of them?

hjmick
09-21-2010, 11:36 PM
So you probably have superior skills in dodging controversies, well family drama trains us and when you have loonies in the house you got to be sharp and quick on your toes to respond, unless you break down and join them.:laugh2:

so is it depression, manic depression, schizophrenia, paranoid, psychopath, sociopath, all of them?

Well, my wife is bi-polar, manic depressive, OCD, occasionally agoraphobic (a few years back she could only leave the house to go to work), and has PTSD due to certain events in her life. Her daughter is bi-polar and probably a sociopath. She's serving a three years stint at Chowchilla for various drug offenses. My dad was OCD, my sister suffers from depression as does my mom. Both of my sisters in-law suffer from depression and are, to the best of my knowledge, bi-polar in varying degrees and, like my wife and for the same reasons, suffer from PTSD.

And this just scratches the surface...

I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a crazy gene...

Oh, in regards to your alcoholic thread, more than a couple folks mentioned above are or were alcoholics.

Noir
09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Depression seems to run in the family, every few years another auntie/uncle/cousin is diagnosed.
And I once stumbled across court papers about my mum being institutionalized, though I've never asked about it so idk why it was.

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, my wife is bi-polar, manic depressive, OCD, occasionally agoraphobic (a few years back she could only leave the house to go to work), and has PTSD due to certain events in her life. Her daughter is bi-polar and probably a sociopath. She's serving a three years stint at Chowchilla for various drug offenses. My dad was OCD, my sister suffers from depression as does my mom. Both of my sisters in-law suffer from depression and are, to the best of my knowledge, bi-polar in varying degrees and, like my wife and for the same reasons, suffer from PTSD.

And this just scratches the surface...

I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a crazy gene...

Damn you must be completely drained, it's interesting so did you feel quite neglected growing up, I mean depression tends to shut people down and so its possible your childhood needs weren't met by family. Then later in life you repeated the cycle do you get neglected in the marriage because its about the illness all the time so your needs are secondary or does she take treatment so things are pretty good?

My dad is clinically and possibly criminally insane. I had a very strange childhood as well, he was like charles manson. he has a Psychopath mind.

Pagan
09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Think about this

If Tesla or Einstein were going up today they'd both diagnosed as having a "Chemical Imbalance" and be chemically lobotomized with drugs.

The definition of sanity is very much subject for debate.

hjmick
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Damn you must be completely drained, it's interesting so did you feel quite neglected growing up, I mean depression tends to shut people down and so its possible your childhood needs weren't met by family. Then later in life you repeated the cycle do you get neglected in the marriage because its about the illness all the time so your needs are secondary or does she take treatment so things are pretty good?

My dad is clinically and possibly criminally insane. I had a very strange childhood as well, he was like charles manson. he has a Psychopath mind.

No, never felt neglected. My dad's OCD manifested itself in his book collection and my mom's depression didn't really kick in until I was an adult. I'm sure it was there in my youth to some degree, but she was a working mom so I didn't notice.

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Depression seems to run in the family, every few years another auntie/uncle/cousin is diagnosed.
And I once stumbled across court papers about my mum being institutionalized, though I've never asked about it so idk why it was.

depression is a quiet type of mental illness in my opinion and it can make tohers around feel so neglected or isolated. Did you ever feel left out or was it different since it was not a direct parent?

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:48 PM
No, never felt neglected. My dad's OCD manifested itself in his book collection and my mom's depression didn't really kick in until I was an adult. I'm sure it was there in my youth to some degree, but she was a working mom so I didn't notice.

That's good, and you seem happy all the time online so I assume with the wife and step daughter that its handled as healthy as those things can be.

Do you have brothers or sisters or an only child>?

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Think about this

If Tesla or Einstein were going up today they'd both diagnosed as having a "Chemical Imbalance" and be chemically lobotomized with drugs.

The definition of sanity is very much subject for debate.

He's a monster

hjmick
09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
That's good, and you seem happy all the time online so I assume with the wife and step daughter that its handled as healthy as those things can be.

Do you have brothers or sisters or an only child>?

Wife has it pretty much under control, though her shrink has been dicking around with her meds so some days are better than others, but most are good. Better living through chemistry! As I stated, her daughter is doing time, she is untreated and continues to make wrong choices. We did all we could for her until she turned 18, then she split and there was nothing we could do.

I have sister, derpressed and a drinker.

Noir
09-21-2010, 11:55 PM
depression is a quiet type of mental illness in my opinion and it can make tohers around feel so neglected or isolated. Did you ever feel left out or was it different since it was not a direct parent?

Nope. I don't want this to sound harsh but I don't dwell much on others lives, their life will only affect my life if I let them, imo, and I'm not much in favor of that.

chloe
09-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Wife has it pretty much under control, though her shrink has been dicking around with her meds so some days are better than others, but most are good. Better living through chemistry! As I stated, her daughter is doing time, she is untreated and continues to make wrong choices. We did all we could for her until she turned 18, then she split and there was nothing we could do.

I have sister, derpressed and a drinker.

Your an atheist right? So what keeps you going and belieivng in good things for yourself and family?

Pagan
09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
He's a monster

Yes there are those out there, I was attempting to get across that IMO it's way too over prescribed today. But yes, there are insane people, just go downtown and you'll run into a number of them.

Also what I find interesting is a few years back I was listening to a talk show while driving one night. There was a Psychologist on who stated that Sociopaths are many out there and only a small amount of them turn out to be serial killers and what not. That most are successful Politicians and Businessman, the ability to not have a conscience helps them become very successful. I found that it both made complete sense and absolutely fascinating, I guess that explains why I'm not rich and famous ;)

chloe
09-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Yes there are those out there, I was attempting to get across that IMO it's way too over prescribed today. But yes, there are insane people, just go downtown and you'll run into a number of them.

Also what I find interesting is a few years back I was listening to a talk show while driving one night. There was a Psychologist on who stated that Sociopaths are many out there and only a small amount of them turn out to be serial killers and what not. That most are successful Politicians and Businessman, the ability to not have a conscience helps them become very successful. I found that it both made complete sense and absolutely fascinating, I guess that explains why I'm not rich and famous ;)

Cuz your a serial killer? ( I kid I kid.....don't put me on your killing list)

My dad is like what you described but I think the alcoholism slows him down from carrying out some acts unimaginable. Yet he wouldn't feel bad if did them, he's just unable to now because he is old and a drunk.

hjmick
09-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Your an atheist right? So what keeps you going and belieivng in good things for yourself and family?

More of an Agnostic, but not far from the Atheist border.

What keeps me going...

I love my wife. She makes me happy and I make her happy. I have two daughters of my own whom I am very proud of, they make me smile every time I think of them. I love my step daughter, regardless of her troubles. I've never been a pessimist. I just do what needs to be done, do my best, and let the rest take care of itself. I figure that as long as I do my best, there is nothing more to be done and no reason to worry.

My mom and I have a great relationship. My dad and I had a good relationship which, after taking care of a couple of issues between us, turned out great for the last fifteen or twenty years of his life. My sister and I... Well, let's just say we're working on it.

So, what keeps me going? Love, optimism, and having no regrets. You can't change the past, you can only move forward.

Oh, and I listen to Jimmy Buffett.

chloe
09-22-2010, 12:10 AM

What keeps me going...

I love my wife. She makes me happy and I make her happy. I have two daughters of my own whom I am very proud of, they make me smile every time I think of them. I love my step daughter, regardless of her troubles. I've never been a pessimist. I just do what needs to be done, do my best, and let the rest take care of itself. I figure that as long as I do my best, there is nothing more to be done and no reason to worry.

My mom and I have a great relationship. My dad and I had a good relationship which, after taking care of a couple of issues between us, turned out great for the last fifteen or twenty years of his life. My sister and I... Well, let's just say we're working on it.

So, what keeps me going? Love, optimism, and having no regrets. You can't change the past, you can only move forward.

Maybe I should listen to Jimmy Buffet.....I will try that prescription:salute:

hjmick
09-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe I should listen to Jimmy Buffet.....I will try that prescription:salute:

You'd be surprised...

chloe
09-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Nope. I don't want this to sound harsh but I don't dwell much on others lives, their life will only affect my life if I let them, imo, and I'm not much in favor of that.

I don't think that's harsh, I asked because I really wondered how you dealt with it. Thanks for sharing. Nite

SassyLady
09-22-2010, 01:55 AM
I could probably count how many people are sane because the number is fewer.

I would say the craziest/insane person in my family is my brother who is in prison for killing three people.

chloe
09-22-2010, 07:38 AM
I could probably count how many people are sane because the number is fewer.

I would say the craziest/insane person in my family is my brother who is in prison for killing three people.

I hear ya sister, I have a murderer in my family too. But she killed herself after stabbing her cheating husband to death so no worries over her anymore.:laugh:

SassyLady
09-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I hear ya sister, I have a murderer in my family too. But she killed herself after stabbing her cheating husband to death so no worries over her anymore.:laugh:

Well....my brother was convicted during the Rose Bird years in CA ... no death penalty.....instead, he got three consecutive life terms.

chloe
09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Well....my brother was convicted during the Rose Bird years in CA ... no death penalty.....instead, he got three consecutive life terms.

At least he's locked up. So that's good.

SassyLady
09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
It took my sister over 4 years to get the courage to tell what he did to her and turn him in...when she was 14 he took her out to the place where he killed and buried the other three women (two of them were her friends). He brutually beat, raped and threatened to kill her also if she ever told. Her testimony and showing the authorities where the bodies were buried is what put him away.

I still believe it was carrying around that secret and living with the memories that helped her contract cancer ....

chloe
09-22-2010, 10:52 PM
It took my sister over 4 years to get the courage to tell what he did to her and turn him in...when she was 14 he took her out to the place where he killed and buried the other three women (two of them were her friends). He brutually beat, raped and threatened to kill her also if she ever told. Her testimony and showing the authorities where the bodies were buried is what put him away.

I still believe it was carrying around that secret and living with the memories that helped her contract cancer ....

She was brave, my family doesn't tell or talk about any of it. Plus our psychopath is still alive and free.

SassyLady
09-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Well, I didn't say all the psychopaths in my family are locked up....currently it is just the one.

Agnapostate
09-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Well, I didn't say all the psychopaths in my family are locked up....currently it is just the one.

But they still give you Internet access in there? Nice place. :thumb:

SassyLady
09-23-2010, 05:52 AM

:coffee:

chloe
09-23-2010, 07:44 AM

:laugh: yeah I only have 2 in my family that are living, and they live in las vegas. I don't deal with them at all.

chloe
09-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Do you have anybody in your family that has mental illness? It is really awful to deal with.

Agnapostate
09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I have an uncle who ran to the Navajo Nation to escape a warrant.

chloe
10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I have an uncle who ran to the Navajo Nation to escape a warrant.

I guess we all have someone in the family with serious issues.

gabosaurus
10-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Anyone have any physically ill people in their family? You know, those crazy impaired people who refuse who abandon their walkers and wheelchairs and walk around normally like the rest of us? How silly is that?
Not to mention the crazy old people with Alzheimer's and dementia. What is up with those freaks.
And we won't even discuss those with terminal illnesses. Why would they give up on us?

Little-Acorn
10-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Do you have Mentally Ill people in your family?

Nope, no liberals.

(Sorry, had to say it! :thumb: )

chloe
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Anyone have any physically ill people in their family? You know, those crazy impaired people who refuse who abandon their walkers and wheelchairs and walk around normally like the rest of us? How silly is that?
Not to mention the crazy old people with Alzheimer's and dementia. What is up with those freaks.
And we won't even discuss those with terminal illnesses. Why would they give up on us?

Yeah my ex husbands grandpa had dementia, we all pitched in and took care of him. My ex husbands grandma had a wheelchair and walker and she was my best friend throughout the marriage she lived with us half a year out of the year I loved taking her out to shop and stuff. But you could make a thread about family members whose disabilities.

I couldn't take care of my dad because his mental illness made him violent, he beat someones face in witha hammer and went to jail and when he got out he didnt change he beat my sister so bad her eyes were swollen shut for weeks and I have kids and can't have him around.

Agnapostate
10-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Now that I think of it, I do have a great-aunt with dementia in some facility. I guess I was thinking 'crazy' mental illness.

chloe
10-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Now that I think of it, I do have a great-aunt with dementia in some facility. I guess I was thinking 'crazy' mental illness.

was it an old folks home?

Binky
10-15-2010, 02:42 PM

What keeps me going...

When I read what you had to say I thought "here's a guy that knows what true hardship and emotional suffering are like." You are a very strong individual and your wife and family are very fortunate to have you in their lives. Not too many men would be that understanding and would prob'ly look for the nearest exit out of the situation.

I commend you for sticking it out and continuing to love our wife. She doesn't have her mental woes because she has chosen to have them. They are just a part of her that showed up in her genes. Far too many people jump ship nowdays at the first sign of trouble. It's reassuring to know there are individuals such as yourself that stick around and deal with it.....

Binky
11-21-2010, 01:59 PM

You know, I haven't figured out yet whether you are being sarcastic or not. But judging from some of the crapola you've chosen to spiel post after post, I'll stick my neck out and say you're being sarcastic.

Since my mother spent the last seven years of her life suffering from Alzheimers I find what you said very offensive. My mother, bless her heart, was not a "crazy old woman". She was, however, someone, who for one reason or the other, acquired a mentally and physically dehilitating desease. She didn't choose to get it. She just did. And if she were here today she would tell me to ignore what you said and just "turn the other cheek." But you know something Gabs, (which is a great name for you because you gab too damn much), I'm sure as hell tired of getting my cheek slapped.

You're a mean spirited, poor excuse for a human being. Try thinking before shootin' off that big mouth of yours. I suspect that would be a novel thing for you...