PDA

View Full Version : Board donations and color codes

jimnyc
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Been trying to figure out more ways to give recognition to those members who have made donations to the board. I've tried various methods over the years and they were either unsightly or the coding no longer works with the new software. One new addition I have made was changing the "color scheme" for usernames at the bottom of the board - and a legend to describe what group each color belongs to.

If you have donated to DP since it's inception (does not apply to staff who enjoy all extra benefits automatically), and don't see your name in "gold" at the bottom of the board, shoot me a PM and I will move your account to the appropriate usergroup. In addition to the color change, here is what else you enjoy with the usergroup change:

Registered Members:

Can store 100 PM's at once. Members can delete messages and still be able to received additional messages.

Uploading of files limited to 100 kilobytes

No access to Calendar system

Cannot view "Who's Online"

Cannot set yourself to "invisible mode"

New usergroup "Board Sponsor", applied after donation:

Can store up to 2,000 PM's

Can upload files up to "Unlimited"

Full access to Calendar system

Ability to view "Who's Online"

Ability to set oneself to invisible

SassyLady
09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Before the board was changed our names used to be at the bottom of the main page with our own font and colors and I thought that was great....guess the coding no longer supports that type of recognition.

jimnyc
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Before the board was changed our names used to be at the bottom of the main page with our own font and colors and I thought that was great....guess the coding no longer supports that type of recognition.

It was definitely a good way to show off who donated to the board, but yes, the "add-on" that I installed is not compatible with the new version. Additionally, I'm not sure that those "boxes" of names, all different colors, would blend properly with the new theme or take away from the military/patriotic look of the board.

I will continue to be on the lookout for newer and better ways to recognize our members who have helped keep this board going. A donation moves someone to the "Board Sponsor" usergroup and allows them the extra benefits for the life of the board - unless of course for some unfortunate reason the member gets a lifetime ban.

BTW, you have been moved to the sponsor usergroup as I know you have donated.

red states rule
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Nice addition Jim - I like the additonal colors.

It is an attention getter

Noir
09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I likes it, more for the PM space,
And I has donated :)

jimnyc
09-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I likes it, more for the PM space,
And I has donated :)

Yes you have, my bad, you've now been added to the appropriate group.

Mr. P
09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
10,368 posts, but contribution is all about $$$ ? :poke:
Just Damn !! :laugh:

Pagan
09-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Keeping a board up and running costs $$$$ ;)

Mr. P
09-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Keeping a board up and running costs $$$$ ;)
No shit ! :slap:

Pagan
09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
No shit ! :slap:

Well you're over 10k posts, throw the man some change.

Me, I'm in the courtship phase

Mr. P
09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Well you're over 10k posts, throw the man some change.

Me, I'm in the courtship phase
That's the point, there's more than one way to donate an keep the board alive...it's not just about $$.

Pagan
09-27-2010, 09:57 PM
That's the point, there's more than one way to donate an keep the board alive...it's not just about $$.

Yeah like donating space on a server.
But I wouldn't call being a blow hard an asset http://www.rejecttheherd.net/sites/rejecttheherd.net/files/smileys/sandm.gif

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist http://www.rejecttheherd.net/sites/rejecttheherd.net/files/smileys/rofl.gif

jimnyc
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM

You know I love you, Mr. P!!! And yes, I am HIGHLY appreciative of the consistent/daily posters, as these members are what gets others posting and keeps the board active. Unfortunately, there is a financial aspect to the board as well. I know this is 100% my responsibility as I started the site, but sometimes times are rough and a few donations help get the bills paid and relieve an ounce of my stress at least! :)

Donations are always appreciated, and I'll do everything I possibly can to ensure those members get a little extra for their money. But it is far from mandatory and those who cannot donate will never be treated differently (other than they remain with standard account setups).

Mr. P
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
You know I love you, Mr. P!!! And yes, I am HIGHLY appreciative of the consistent/daily posters, as these members are what gets others posting and keeps the board active. Unfortunately, there is a financial aspect to the board as well. I know this is 100% my responsibility as I started the site, but sometimes times are rough and a few donations help get the bills paid and relieve an ounce of my stress at least! :)

Donations are always appreciated, and I'll do everything I possibly can to ensure those members get a little extra for their money. But it is far from mandatory and those who cannot donate will never be treated differently (other than they remain with standard account setups).
I know, Jim. I was just pokin fun. I forgot about yer stress though, sorry about that. Forgive me and I'll buy you a neat T-shirt from Myrtle Beach.:laugh: Humor is a great stress reliever..no?

logroller
09-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Is there a donation link somewhere I'm missing? I seem to recall seeing one before, but can't seem to find it.

Or do i just give jim my bank info and he'll send me that money I've inhereited:laugh2:

jimnyc
09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Is there a donation link somewhere I'm missing? I seem to recall seeing one before, but can't seem to find it.

Or do i just give jim my bank info and he'll send me that money I've inhereited:laugh2:

Dead center at the top of the board (below the navigation bar, and also just below the "Google Ad"). Most people see it a million times and just learn to block it out.

You can supply your bank account info with a promise from me to try and refrain from using it for more than monthly hosting expenses.