PDA

View Full Version : Poll - MSNBC Trusted by 12%

red states rule
09-28-2010, 05:21 AM
As if we needed another poll to tell us the liberal media is losing the public

and libs will scream how Fox news is spreading lies to the stupid voters

More people are getting their news about the upcoming election from cable television than any other source, and from Fox News more than any other cable channel, according to a POLITICO/George Washington University Battleground Poll released Monday.

The poll found that 81 percent of those polled get their news about the midterm elections from cable channels, like Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or their websites, compared with 71 percent from national network news channels, such as ABC, NBC or CBS, and their websites.

Among cable news channels, Fox was the clear winner, with 42 percent of respondents saying it is their main source, compared with 30 percent who cited CNN and 12 percent who rely on MSNBC

The results show the growing influence that 24-hour cable news has on shaping the political consciousness, despite the fact that network newscasts still draw many multiples of the number of viewers of even the highest-rated cable news shows.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42738.html#ixzz10onHeiWq

red states rule
09-28-2010, 05:35 AM
and before anyone says this is a bias and slanted poll - look at the ratings

Fox News destroys MSNBC and the other cable news networks

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/ratings

Agnapostate
09-28-2010, 05:36 AM

It's a possibility; there's research on the topic. For example, there is DellaVigna and Kaplan's The Fox News Effect: Media Bias and Voting (http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/qjec.122.3.1187):

Does media bias affect voting? We analyze the entry of Fox News in cable markets and its impact on voting. Between October 1996 and November 2000, the conservative Fox News Channel was introduced in the cable programming of 20 percent of U. S. towns. Fox News availability in 2000 appears to be largely idiosyncratic, conditional on a set of controls. Using a data set of voting data for 9,256 towns, we investigate if Republicans gained vote share in towns where Fox News entered the cable market by the year 2000. We find a significant effect of the introduction of Fox News on the vote share in Presidential elections between 1996 and 2000. Republicans gained 0.4 to 0.7 percentage points in the towns that broadcast Fox News. Fox News also affected voter turnout and the Republican vote share in the Senate. Our estimates imply that Fox News convinced 3 to 28 percent of its viewers to vote Republican, depending on the audience measure. The Fox News effect could be a temporary learning effect for rational voters, or a permanent effect for nonrational voters subject to persuasion.

Of course, your best option is to keep in mind the wise insight of John Stuart Mill when he stated that, "The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion and studying all modes in which it can be looked at by every character of mind. No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this." That would be why I consult various sources in both the mainstream and alternative media to investigate stories that I'm interested in.

red states rule
09-28-2010, 05:40 AM
It's a possibility; there's research on the topic. For example, there is DellaVigna and Kaplan's The Fox News Effect: Media Bias and Voting (http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/qjec.122.3.1187):

Of course, your best option is to keep in mind the wise insight of John Stuart Mill when he stated that, "The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion and studying all modes in which it can be looked at by every character of mind. No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this." That would be why I consult various sources in both the mainstream and alternative media to investigate stories that I'm interested in.

The only reason people do not like Fox News is because Fox News does not openly support liberals and wave the pom poms for their agenda

There have many many polls showing a majority of people see, and do not like, the open liberal bias in the media

It will be fun watching the Obama PR staff at MSNBC have to report the election results

Agnapostate
09-28-2010, 05:55 AM
The only reason people do not like Fox News is because Fox News does not openly support liberals and wave the pom poms for their agenda

There have many many polls showing a majority of people see, and do not like, the open liberal bias in the media

It will be fun watching the Obama PR staff at MSNBC have to report the election results

Since you didn't bother responding to the study, I'll freely share my own intuitive opinions too: From what I can see, rightists generally define "liberal bias" as the absence of rightist bias. A comparison of Wikipedia and its so-called "equivalent" on the right, Conservapedia, might demonstrate that.

red states rule
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Since you didn't bother responding to the study, I'll freely share my own intuitive opinions too: From what I can see, rightists generally define "liberal bias" as the absence of rightist bias. A comparison of Wikipedia and its so-called "equivalent" on the right, Conservapedia, might demonstrate that.

The viewers are deciding who has the bias and who dose not. the whining and crying from Obama and the Dems show they do not like BOTH sides of the issue being reported to the folks

Despite the clear bias the liberal media displayed toward pres Bush for eight years - I never heard Pres Bush tell people not to watch MSNBC or listen to Air America

red states rule
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
one reason why the ratings for MSNBC stink

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdkUSUZuQu" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdkUSUZuQu" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

Noir
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
If I may interject with what seems to be somewhat paradoxical to me,

The Right like to complain about how liberal the media is, and yet also delights in how FoxNews is the number 1 news channel as far as ratings go.

Seems to be claiming to be both the top-dog and under-dog in the same breath =/

red states rule
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
If I may interject with what seems to be somewhat paradoxical to me,

The Right like to complain about how liberal the media is, and yet also delights in how FoxNews is the number 1 news channel as far as ratings go.

Seems to be claiming to be both the top-dog and under-dog in the same breath =/

NOir, the reason I like Fox News is the same reason Fox News is #1. Fox news does give both sides in a fair and balanced format. I list many liberals that appear on Fox News on a regular basis

On MSNBC the numbers of conservatives that appear are few and far between.

Objectivity and journalism died in 2008 as the media dropped all the pretending and openly showed who they supported on their news programs

Meanwhile Fox News FIRED a producer who told McCain on the air she was going to vote for him. On MSNBC a host openly said he would commit voter fraud to make sure Republicnas did not win the MA Seanate race, and Chris Matthews has said several times he hopes Dems get their act together and win on November 2

Noir
09-28-2010, 07:20 PM
NOir, the reason I like Fox News is the same reason Fox News is #1. Fox news does give both sides in a fair and balanced format. I list many liberals that appear on Fox News on a regular basis

On MSNBC the numbers of conservatives that appear are few and far between.

Objectivity and journalism died in 2008 as the media dropped all the pretending and openly showed who they supported on their news programs

Meanwhile Fox News FIRED a producer who told McCain on the air she was going to vote for him. On MSNBC a host openly said he would commit voter fraud to make sure Republicnas did not win the MA Seanate race, and Chris Matthews has said several times he hopes Dems get their act together and win on November 2

I know I'm a Brit, but if you think you're gonna be able to convince me that Fox isn't right leaning you can go pull the other one.

red states rule
09-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I know I'm a Brit, but if you think you're gonna be able to convince me that Fox isn't right leaning you can go pull the other one.

Explain how Fox News can be right leaning with all the liberals they have on to give their side of the issues?

On the other hand, it is hard to find many conservatives on MSNBC and CNN

Noir
09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Explain how Fox News can be right leaning with all the liberals they have on to give their side of the issues?

On the other hand, it is hard to find many conservatives on MSNBC and CNN

How about the fact that a study carried out by FAIR in 2001 over 20 weeks which showed that on fox 'special reports' conservatives outnumbered liberals by 50:6?

Gaffer
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
How about the fact that a study carried out by FAIR in 2001 over 20 weeks which showed that on fox 'special reports' conservatives outnumbered liberals by 50:6?

Have they done a recent survey?

FOX presents both the left and the right. By presenting the right they are considered right leaning by the left.

The only way FOX would be considered not conservative is if they never had conservatives on. That would make the liberals happy and ruin their ratings.

Pagan
09-28-2010, 08:24 PM
EVERY News outlet/source has their bias. It's up to the individual to do their own bloody homework and check for themselves. But the general public will listen to what ever side is more in line with their own beliefs.

Problem being is the vast majority will only Parrot what they hear without doing any basic fact checking, they're just plain lazy.

http://www.rejecttheherd.net/sites/rejecttheherd.net/files/smileys/politics.gif

Noir
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Have they done a recent survey?

FOX presents both the left and the right. By presenting the right they are considered right leaning by the left.

The only way FOX would be considered not conservative is if they never had conservatives on. That would make the liberals happy and ruin their ratings.

Not that I know off, are you going to claim that fox use to be right leaning and no longer is?

Gaffer
09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Not that I know off, are you going to claim that fox use to be right leaning and no longer is?

They have always presented both sides. As far as the libs are concerned if they present the right at all they are right leaning.

Noir
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
They have always presented both sides. As far as the libs are concerned if they present the right at all they are right leaning.

Well back in 2001 they did present both sides, they just presented one side 8 times more than the other in their "special reports"...

Sweetchuck
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Anybody who fully trusts virtually any media source be it Faux News, PMSNBC is an idiot.

Too many people substitute the medias ideology for theirs.

Noir
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Anybody who fully trusts virtually any media source be it Faux News, PMSNBC is an idiot.

Exactly, in the words of Morrissey "You defer to the views of the television news, let someone do your thinking for you. And you still buy a daily newspaper, and you find everything there but the news."

SassyLady
09-29-2010, 12:32 AM
So, let's say, for argument's sake, FoxNews is right leaning. Why do you find it objectionable...considering the number of stations that are left leaning?

Noir ... in that study about FoxNews by FAIR .... what network did they find to be the most "balanced"?

Sweetchuck
09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Faux News is biased. I used to go to foxnews.com fairly exclusively but at some point it dawned on me that they tend to exaggerate a lot.

It's hard to explain, you either get it or you don't I guess. I've come to be far more skeptical when I read anything and you have to be skeptical, otherwise you're buying into the bias.

SassyLady
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
You call it skeptical and I call it the ability to discern what is true and what is not, regardless of the source. I don't blow off information just based on the source. I read/listen and then, if it's something I'm interested in, I'll do more research and then discern what is/isn't true for me.

I've been the subject for sensational news in the past and have run the gamut of what a news source will publish to sell their paper/station/mag, etc.

Bottom line is that one needs more than a couple of sources to determine what is truth and what is fiction.

red states rule
09-29-2010, 03:33 AM

From their webaiste Noir

As a progressive group, FAIR believes that structural reform is ultimately needed to break up the dominant media conglomerates, establish independent public broadcasting and promote strong non-profit sources of information.

"Progressive" is the new term liberals use describe themselves sinc ethey can;t use the world liberal anymore

Now as far a liberals that appear on Fox News on a regular bais include Alan Colmes, Kristen Powers, Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, Bob Schrum, Pat Caddel, Al Sharpton, Geraldine Ferraro, Susan Estrich, and Lanny Davis

There are others, but I can't put the names with the faces. Mostly they are dismissed as not being "real" liberals by those who see Fox News as a biased network

red states rule
09-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Faux News is biased. I used to go to foxnews.com fairly exclusively but at some point it dawned on me that they tend to exaggerate a lot.

It's hard to explain, you either get it or you don't I guess. I've come to be far more skeptical when I read anything and you have to be skeptical, otherwise you're buying into the bias.

"Faux News"? Where have I seen that used? Hmmmm, Dem Underground, Daity Kos, and the Huffy Puffy Post

You are using all the lib talking points there Sweets :laugh2:

red states rule
09-29-2010, 03:50 AM
So, let's say, for argument's sake, FoxNews is right leaning. Why do you find it objectionable...considering the number of stations that are left leaning?

Noir ... in that study about FoxNews by FAIR .... what network did they find to be the most "balanced"?

Just think for a moment how the liberals would have reacted if a Fox News host would have had a discussion on how to suppress the vote in the 2008 election like Matthews is doing about the 2010 election?

and remember, those talking about suppresing the vote in 2010 are "journalists" and are "reporting" the news

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdnzDknznz" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdnzDknznz" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

Noir
09-29-2010, 07:22 AM

I don't fine it objectionable. But what I find odd is they idea that they claim both to be outnumbered while also boasting that they have the most ratings.

Gaffer
09-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't fine it objectionable. But what I find odd is they idea that they claim both to be outnumbered while also boasting that they have the most ratings.

They do have the highest ratings and they are out numbered. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, PBS. That's 6 to 1. Or do you have a different interpretation of outnumbered?

namvet
09-29-2010, 09:07 AM

and the 12% is Osama and Pelosi :coffee:

SassyLady
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Not odd at all. If more people are watching ... whether it's because they like it or just want to see what all the hoopla is about ... it increases their ratings.

In fact, every time Obama complains about FoxNews I would think it gives them a bump....people want to know why he's complaining. Murdoch is probably loving the fact that Obama is dissing Fox.

Abbey Marie
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM

From where do you get your news? And do you consider your special source to be unbiased?

Sweetchuck
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
From where do you get your news? And do you consider your special source to be unbiased?

Same place everyone else gets their news. My point is that you have to read news from any source with a jaundiced eye.

Media sources are biased, except for a lot of the wire stuff which gets printed across the media, like AP and Reuters. Faux and PMSNBC publish wire stuff but they also add opinion articles where they pick and choose (and slant) stuff that their audience wants to hear.

A large segment of our population wants to read what they want to read and Faux, PMSNBC give them just that. Facts are secondary in many cases and if you can't (or more specifically don't want to) weed through the bias to boil the real story down, then it's all mental masturbation.

Sweetchuck
09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
"Faux News"? Where have I seen that used? Hmmmm, Dem Underground, Daity Kos, and the Huffy Puffy Post

You are using all the lib talking points there Sweets :laugh2:

Then I'm a liberal.

Of course everyone who doesn't lug the Rush and Beck buckets are liberals in your simple-minded world.

Ironically, you see the same kind of thought control with radical Islam. Islamic whackos want to believe what they want to believe, so they drink the Islamic whacko koolaid. Rushbots like you are no different.

Keep on lugging those buckets, sheep.

http://images.clipartof.com/small/4458-Tired-Man-Carrying-Buckets-Of-Water-Clipart.jpg

red states rule
09-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Then I'm a liberal.

Of course everyone who doesn't lug the Rush and Beck buckets are liberals in your simple-minded world.

Ironically, you see the same kind of thought control with radical Islam. Islamic whackos want to believe what they want to believe, so they drink the Islamic whacko koolaid. Rushbots like you are no different.

Keep on lugging those buckets, sheep.

http://images.clipartof.com/small/4458-Tired-Man-Carrying-Buckets-Of-Water-Clipart.jpg

I did not call you a liberal Sweets - only you have the liberal talking points down pat.

Like Chris Matthews, now you are comparing those who disagree with you to terrorists

I will let the community here decide what you are based on your posts like I have

However, do remember confession is good for the soul

Sweetchuck
09-30-2010, 10:21 PM
I did not call you a liberal Sweets - only you have the liberal talking points down pat.

Like Chris Matthews, now you are comparing those who disagree with you to terrorists

I will let the community here decide what you are based on your posts like I have

However, do remember confession is good for the soul

Yet another symptom of a mindless, bucket carrying sheep. The desire to be part of the clique.

I don't base my ideology on popularity, I base it on logic and reason. Which is why I don't kneel at the altar of Beck and Rush like you do.

You are truly a robot.

red states rule
10-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Yet another symptom of a mindless, bucket carrying sheep. The desire to be part of the clique.

I don't base my ideology on popularity, I base it on logic and reason. Which is why I don't kneel at the altar of Beck and Rush like you do.

You are truly a robot.

Typical reply from a pissed off liberal who came here pretending to be a conservative

Your logic and reason are to blame for getting us in the mess we are in

If you have not noticed, I am part of the clique known as the Tea Party who want to toss those out who took part in creating and continuing to take us down the destructive path

You claim to be a conservative yet to are stuck on bashing Rush and Beck, Guys who are conservatives and who opposed both Dems and Republicans for their actions

But facts mean very little to you Sweets.

Sweetchuck
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Typical reply from a pissed off liberal who came here pretending to be a conservative

Your logic and reason are to blame for getting us in the mess we are in

If you have not noticed, I am part of the clique known as the Tea Party who want to toss those out who took part in creating and continuing to take us down the destructive path

You claim to be a conservative yet to are stuck on bashing Rush and Beck, Guys who are conservatives and who opposed both Dems and Republicans for their actions

But facts mean very little to you Sweets.

What facts? What the fuck are you babbling about?

I don't slobberknob Beck and Rush like you do simply because these guys are entertainers. The pander to dimwits like you so you sit there everyday while they play hours of advertisements, and you eat it up like sauerkraut.

Show me where I said I disagree with anything they say. Go ahead, knucklehead - show me. You can't because I fundamentally I don't disagree with much of what they say. Where my problem lies is that they, like Faux News create issues to whip up gomers like you into a frenzy. They distort facts, stretch truths and you robots thrive on it.

If your definition of being a conservative is genuflecting at the altar of Rush, then it doesn't surprise me. You aren't a conservative, you are a clone.

And, just to toss out one more bitch-slap, you can suggest that free-thinkers like me are responsible for whatever (which was my line, thanks for the flattery), but the truth still remains. Dopes like you who vote based on someone elses ideology is why we're in this mess. BO got his followers to drink the kool-aid just like you're drunk on the conservative spin kool-aid.

And to be fair to the rest of us conservatives, true conservatism doesn't come from entertainers, it comes from people who understand and believe in conservative values and you fail on both aspects.

"but... but..... IT'S GOT ELECTROLYTES"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

red states rule
10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
What facts? What the fuck are you babbling about?

I don't slobberknob Beck and Rush like you do simply because these guys are entertainers. The pander to dimwits like you so you sit there everyday while they play hours of advertisements, and you eat it up like sauerkraut.

Show me where I said I disagree with anything they say. Go ahead, knucklehead - show me. You can't because I fundamentally I don't disagree with much of what they say. Where my problem lies is that they, like Faux News create issues to whip up gomers like you into a frenzy. They distort facts, stretch truths and you robots thrive on it.

If your definition of being a conservative is genuflecting at the altar of Rush, then it doesn't surprise me. You aren't a conservative, you are a clone.

And, just to toss out one more bitch-slap, you can suggest that free-thinkers like me are responsible for whatever (which was my line, thanks for the flattery), but the truth still remains. Dopes like you who vote based on someone elses ideology is why we're in this mess. BO got his followers to drink the kool-aid just like you're drunk on the conservative spin kool-aid.

And to be fair to the rest of us conservatives, true conservatism doesn't come from entertainers, it comes from people who understand and believe in conservative values and you fail on both aspects.

"but... but..... IT'S GOT ELECTROLYTES"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Facts like what Rush and Beck stand for, what they want the governemnt to stand for - everything you insult and attack here on the board

Sweets, you are one screwed up guy. You are proven wrong on who pays taxes in this country, you hate Wal Mart because your wife spends to much money there, you attack and insult anyone who disagrees with you, and then you wonder why people call you out on your shitty attitude

Like most libs you are forced to lie about what others say to try and justify your crap

Grow up and grow a pair Sweets. You will need to if you hope to get by in this world