PDA

View Full Version : Job interview today

jimnyc
09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Off to NYC for a 2:55 interview, right near Times Square. Got my best suit ready (just bought it yesterday LOL), updated resume and a load of confidence. While I have 100% confidence in myself, and in my technical abilities (this is a desktop support position, supporting 300 users in a corporate environment) - I'm not sold on the seriousness of this company. The process seemed a little weird to me and too quick. Generally a company will call you, or at least personalize an email when they want to interview. I found this company through Monster.com, and here is the email I received from them yesterday:

Here at *** *** *** Services, we are interested in having you join our team. Therefore, we would like you to come for an interview, Wednesday the 29th at 2:55 Pm. Please let me know if you are available. You will find the directions listed below, if any questions please don't hesitate to give us a call.

No addressing of my name or personalization at all. I can only assume they sent this email to a bunch of candidates and just changed the times for each. Nonetheless, it's my foot in the door and a chance. Worst case scenario, I have time in NYC and a chance to brush up my interviewing abilities.

Wish me luck!!

Kathianne
09-29-2010, 08:53 AM
You may be right about a cattle call, just let your skills and personality shine through. At an initial cut, that's all you can do. Good luck and hope you have a great time in the city.

jimnyc
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, time to move forward and work harder. Just got this email from the company:

Unfortunately the position has been filled. Thank you for your interest. </pre>

Kathianne
09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Well, time to move forward and work harder. Just got this email from the company:

</pre>

It's tough out there, no doubt about that. I'm finally finding some light at the end of the tunnel, looks like substituting will come through by Nov 1. I'm doing some work for bills with a friend, don't ask. LOL!

darin
09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Keep plugging away, Jim.

Pagan
09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Off to NYC for a 2:55 interview, right near Times Square. Got my best suit ready (just bought it yesterday LOL), updated resume and a load of confidence. While I have 100% confidence in myself, and in my technical abilities (this is a desktop support position, supporting 300 users in a corporate environment) - I'm not sold on the seriousness of this company. The process seemed a little weird to me and too quick. Generally a company will call you, or at least personalize an email when they want to interview. I found this company through Monster.com, and here is the email I received from them yesterday:

No addressing of my name or personalization at all. I can only assume they sent this email to a bunch of candidates and just changed the times for each. Nonetheless, it's my foot in the door and a chance. Worst case scenario, I have time in NYC and a chance to brush up my interviewing abilities.

Wish me luck!!

You've got my PM, also you being admin should have my email addy also.

Send me your resume, my company is hiring. I've been in the IT business for two decades and I honestly have nether worked for nor seen a better company in my life. Depending on your skill set, what you want we may have something for you. We are global and doing extremely well, a very well run company who are the cutting edge in our field.

Sweetchuck
09-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Good luck Jimmy, I hope it works out well for you.

Many companies use automated screening systems for candidates. If you submitted your CV via a website, a HR system may have screened it and the fact that you got that email means that you meet their qualifications.

Let us know how it works out.

Pagan
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Good luck Jimmy, I hope it works out well for you.

Many companies use automated screening systems for candidates. If you submitted your CV via a website, a HR system may have screened it and the fact that you got that email means that you meet their qualifications.

Let us know how it works out.

Yeah I spent close to three years out of work during the .com bomb because I either had too much experience or didn't have a degree.

I got so frustrated that when one HR person called me I asked if she had even read my resume and letters of recommendations ....

Anyway I got lucky where I'm at now, I went in for the interview and I mentioned that I didn't have a degree and they said "So". But then they proceeded to kick the shit out of me with a 5 hour interview, I got it though :cool:

Bottom line is networking, ya got to know someone to get past the HR machine and to actually get seen and show your stuff. I got very lucky with my current company, but they are rare in todays world.

Sweetchuck
09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
I've been doing consulting the past couple years. Money was great, travel got old. I finally settled down on a job in Arizona and I'm in the process of relocating.

The interview was supposed to be a two-day event, but I convinced them to do it all in one day - but I interviewed with close to 50 people. Mostly panel interviews.

I'm a good interviewer, mostly because I think I have the right mindset. I have fun, not because I try to, but because if it's not fun, I don't want to do it.

At one point when I was interviewing with the staff of people who report to me, I excused my boss - they got a kick out of that. It wasn't obnoxious though, I just wanted to get their candid opinion of him and I couldn't have gotten that with him in the room.

Kathianne
09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
You've got my PM, also you being admin should have my email addy also.

Send me your resume, my company is hiring. I've been in the IT business for two decades and I honestly have nether worked for nor seen a better company in my life. Depending on your skill set, what you want we may have something for you. We are global and doing extremely well, a very well run company who are the cutting edge in our field.

How nice! An example of why one never knows when they are networking!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
God Bless You Jim

and may the lord help you with all your needs
amen

your a class act buddy :clap: