PDA

View Full Version : starting to take the next step

darin
09-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Having completed Army Civilian Basic leadership course last week, I've started gathering requirements for the next course - the Intermediate Course. The course is broken into two phases - distance learning and resident.

Having no significant college education I'm a little overwhelmed at the writing requirements. On paper they seem simple - but the actual doing of them will be a test for me. After reporting back on a biography of a significant leader, I'll have to draft a personal leadership style essay, and dissect my organizational situation. These are to be written to 'standard' -not just ramblings. I'm generally a good writer - but I haven't had to write to a prescribed style since Eng101 - the last course I took a few years ago.

Upon completing those things and other required reading I'll test-out. Passing the test allows me a resident course date for the three-week course.

For those with prior Army service, the Intermediate course approximately equates to Organizational Leadership for Executives, Captains Career Course, Warrant Officer Senior Course, First Sergeant Course.

I'm very excited for the opportunity - going to start the distance learning work shortly - when I get off my URI meds...will start plugging away...

People really enjoy berating and laughing at Government employees. Some of the accusations of laziness and lack of even basic functional skills might be true. Sometimes I wonder how TSA folk passed whatever tests they were required to pass for employment. I hear ya. Perhaps you'll rest somewhat better knowing tax dollars are being spent specifically to improve leaders and employees within the Dept of Defense. The folks I've shared class time with, and those I encounter on a daily basis are by and large top-notch people who care a lot about their professions and take their oaths seriously. Yes. Oath. I took an oath prior to employment. I still hold that oath as valid. There are hundreds of thousands of folks like me who feel the same.

Sweetchuck
09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
That's good stuff.

Abbey Marie
09-29-2010, 11:22 PM
:clap: Movin' on up...

darin
09-30-2010, 02:55 PM
It's pretty neat, really - humbled at my Leadership's desire to see me succeed. :-)

After this I start working on an associate's degree...(sigh) I'll be 50 before I get my BA/BS I believe.

Kathianne
09-30-2010, 03:19 PM
It's pretty neat, really - humbled at my Leadership's desire to see me succeed. :-)

After this I start working on an associate's degree...(sigh) I'll be 50 before I get my BA/BS I believe.

My guess is you could CLEP or whatever it's now called, through at least a year of your AA degree. I think you'd be surprised how quickly an 'adult' is able to get through college.

darin
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
I'll look into that...still skeers me. Unknown territory...

Kathianne
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I'll look into that...still skeers me. Unknown territory...

Here's to get started:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

Save yourself more than a few thousand bucks and more importantly at this stage, time.

SassyLady
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
My guess is you could CLEP or whatever it's now called, through at least a year of your AA degree. I think you'd be surprised how quickly an 'adult' is able to get through college.

That's what my husband did ... one summer, during AT, they provided CLEP tests ... can't remember how many units,but as you said Kath, almost a year's worth of school and without the cost.

Kathianne
09-30-2010, 06:10 PM
That's what my husband did ... one summer, during AT, they provided CLEP tests ... can't remember how many units,but as you said Kath, almost a year's worth of school and without the cost.

I don't think they had study guides back when, but they do now. Theoretically you can earn 2 years worth, but that's quite hard to do for the non-gifted. Few of us can master all fields. However I know lots of folks that CLEP'd the two foreign language courses, so they were able to do two complete courses within 4 years-such as both German and Spanish, by getting rid of the first two years of Spanish.

darin
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Will also attempt to convert as much of my Army training into credits, too...Hard to imagine - me...a college grad. :)

Difficult now - I feel relatively successful; although I'm likely near the top of the pay grades where I can be competitive for interviews.

Abbey Marie
10-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Will also attempt to convert as much of my Army training into credits, too...Hard to imagine - me...a college grad. :)

Difficult now - I feel relatively successful; although I'm likely near the top of the pay grades where I can be competitive for interviews.

For me, having known you for so long, it's hard to imagine that you are not a college grad.