PDA

View Full Version : Am sitting on 'Diversity Day' council

darin
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
It's striking - when people think diversity they rarely include anything European...unless it's Italian or Spanish...I'm pushing for them to truly be inclusive - have some European-American displays and speakers, etc. Any advice?

Abbey Marie
09-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Bring some Alka Seltzer...

Trigg
09-30-2010, 05:25 PM
It's striking - when people think diversity they rarely include anything European...unless it's Italian or Spanish...I'm pushing for them to truly be inclusive - have some European-American displays and speakers, etc. Any advice?

Michigan, specifically Kalamazoo has a large Latvian population. I'm sure most people know little to nothing about that country.

Palin Rider
09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
There are also plenty of interesting topics to present on about Germany, Russia, Scandinavia, and Eastern Europe. Most Americans don't know all that much about those cultures, either.

darin
09-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Michigan, specifically Kalamazoo has a large Latvian population. I'm sure most people know little to nothing about that country.

Thanks Trigg - I'll run w/ that. You hottie. :D

Mr. P
09-30-2010, 08:51 PM
How about we get rid of this left-wing "diversity" shit and name it Unity Day? :salute:

Noir
09-30-2010, 09:12 PM
As a random nite that's kinda related to the OP, one of the things I noticed most about American news is just how little coverage Europe gets (nevermind individual European countries) except for mentions of a) the BP oil spill and b) the world cup =/

Agnapostate
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
These common sentiments of depicting "Europeans" as somehow being a poor oppressed ethnic group because of the evils of affirmative action et al. are hinted at in the OP. The problem is that "white people" have never existed in reality, only as a social construct that involves hierarchical "racial" organization. There is no "white" nation or culture; the category of "whiteness" has traditionally existed to oppress others that were excluded from it. As you pointed out, specific "white" ethnicities, such as the Mediterranean white ethnicities of Italian and Spanish (actually Castilian), can be presented as examples of culturally distinctive groups. So go with the Irish. And mention the heavy presence of Germans in the Midwest if you want to go that route.

Sweetchuck
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Diversity should be but isn't always a two-way street. If I'm asked to respect someone's culture because it's different from mine, fine but I expect reciprocation.

And I think it generally works out that way, however when diversity programs are designed, majorities shouldn't be the primary targeted audience, otherwise you're fostering a hidden resentment.

darin
10-01-2010, 06:39 AM
These common sentiments of depicting "Europeans" as somehow being a poor oppressed ethnic group because of the evils of affirmative action et al. are hinted at in the OP. The problem is that "white people" have never existed in reality, only as a social construct that involves hierarchical "racial" organization. There is no "white" nation or culture; the category of "whiteness" has traditionally existed to oppress others that were excluded from it. As you pointed out, specific "white" ethnicities, such as the Mediterranean white ethnicities of Italian and Spanish (actually Castilian), can be presented as examples of culturally distinctive groups. So go with the Irish. And mention the heavy presence of Germans in the Midwest if you want to go that route.

I'm not white, bitch. :)

There is no 'black' nation or culture. I pointed out the 'not white' european cultures are sometimes represented.

KarlMarx
10-01-2010, 09:21 AM
As a random nite that's kinda related to the OP, one of the things I noticed most about American news is just how little coverage Europe gets (nevermind individual European countries) except for mentions of a) the BP oil spill and b) the world cup =/

... you forgot.... every time George Michael is arrested for doing drugs, having sex in parks, or being passed out in his car while high on pills....

Agnapostate
10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not white, bitch. :)

There is no 'black' nation or culture. I pointed out the 'not white' european cultures are sometimes represented.

No, you're just a dumb sack of shit. While there is no "black" nation or culture, U.S. blacks were homogenized by the homogenous treatment that their ancestors received. That's why modern African-Americans are typically unfamiliar with their specific ethnic or national ancestry, and are simply "black," because the colonial names they've inherited prevent them from having any specific knowledge. My colonial Castilian name does the same to me. "Whites" never underwent such an experience.

darin
10-01-2010, 12:33 PM
:lol::laugh2::lol:

Noir
10-01-2010, 02:07 PM
... you forgot.... every time George Michael is arrested for doing drugs, having sex in parks, or being passed out in his car while high on pills....

Well I took that as a given, even North Korea keeps it's citizens up to date on the dealings of Mr Micheal, to do otherwise would be unthinkable!

Trigg
10-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Soccer isn't big over here, most people couldn't care less about the world cup. I watched it for the Australian team, lot of cuties on that team.:2up:

You're right though, there is very little in the way of European news, unless there is a big disaster somewhere.

darin
10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
We don't cover soccer because soccer is only exciting for grade school kids.

:D

Trigg
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
We don't cover soccer because soccer is only exciting for grade school kids.

I completely disagree. Big, Strong, manly men running around will ALWAYS be exciting for me. :coffee:

darin
10-01-2010, 03:33 PM
(sigh)...

Soccer is to sports like the Navy is to Military - it's....soft.

:poke:

Trigg
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
(sigh)...

Soccer is to sports like the Navy is to Military - it's....soft.

:poke:

blasphemy!!!!

They look like they're in good shape to me.

darin
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Sure - for girls they are in great shape

Trigg
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Sure - for girls they are in great shape

I think you're just jealous :poke:

Mr. P
10-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Soccer sux !! It's just kickball for big boys. :laugh:

That's is all.

Noir
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, unlike American football, it's sooo manly :laugh:

Mr. P
10-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, unlike American football, it's sooo manly :laugh:
That sux too.

Trigg
10-02-2010, 10:29 AM
That sux too.

agreed I don't like US football unless it's highschool.

Soccer is probably the most interresting professional game, because you never know what's going to happen. And the men, the men are very nice to watch.

Mr. P
10-02-2010, 11:22 AM
agreed I don't like US football unless it's highschool.

Soccer is probably the most interresting professional game, because you never know what's going to happen. And the men, the men are very nice to watch.
Oh no, Hockey is much more interesting cept for the stupid fights.

Gaffer
10-02-2010, 11:26 AM
For the men who like violence in sports and the women who like musclebound men in shorts I would suggest Rugby. Extremely violent game with no padding.

Noir
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
For the men who like violence in sports and the women who like musclebound men in shorts I would suggest Rugby. Extremely violent game with no padding.

Exactly, rugbys a real mans sport, no padding, no stopping due to injuries, or stopping because someones knee is on the ground lol.

Trigg
10-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Rugby makes absolutely no sense to me.

Hockey is a great sport, especially if there are no fights.

Gaffer
10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Rugby makes absolutely no sense to me.

Hockey is a great sport, especially if there are no fights.

Don't know a lot about it myself, but it's a real stamina sport. They get vicious.

BoogyMan
10-02-2010, 08:11 PM
:lol::laugh2::lol:

LOL, you beat me to it! LOL

Agnapostate
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
When a brain contains a single-digit number of cells, as those of the two of you do, I guess the moronic troglodytes on this forum are pretty much all interchangeable anyway. :lol:

darin
10-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Think of that one all by yourself, did ya? (yawn)

Agnapostate
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Think of that one all by yourself, did ya? (yawn)

It is kind of unique, when it does take an entire gaggle of you clowns to group together and scream. :dunno:

Mr. P
10-03-2010, 11:20 PM
It is kind of unique, when it does take an entire gaggle of you clowns to group together and scream. :dunno:
Most ignore the trolls..you haven't noticed, yet? Yer slow ain't ya?

Agnapostate
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Most ignore the trolls..you haven't noticed, yet? Yer slow ain't ya?

Cletus, run along back to your outhouse.

Mr. P
10-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Cletus, run along back to your outhouse.
That's the best ya got, troll? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Agnapostate
10-04-2010, 12:18 AM
That's the best ya got, troll? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

You and I both know for a fact that you live a Larry the Cable Guy type existence in some trailer outside of Macon. Why deny it? ;)