PDA

View Full Version : So I Called My Local Islamic Center &

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2010, 03:07 PM
told her I had some questions about some of the versus.

She was very sweet/polite, and told me questions are fine, and that I could come in whenever and ask an Imam.

I reccomend, if you have questions about islam, doing the same thing.

I also want to apologize to the boards muslims for being at times, hateful and mean spirited.

I am sorry, and dont want to hate, or dislike anyone simply based on what religion they choose

Noir
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I was asked to leave when I went into a Mosque with questions after 30/40 minutes of discussion (primarily focusing on free will in an afterlife)
I get asked to leave allot of places :laugh:
It wasn't going that badly until he realized I had a depiction of Muhammed attached to my bag, went south pretty quickly after that.

Trigg
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I was asked to leave when I went into a Mosque with questions after 30/40 minutes of discussion (primarily focusing on free will in an afterlife)
It wasn't going that badly until he realized I had a depiction of Muhammed attached to my bag, went south pretty quickly after that.

it isn't the questions, it's the Elvis hairdo.

j/k

Noir
09-30-2010, 06:04 PM
it isn't the questions, it's the Elvis hairdo.
j/k

Naw, that's part of my trojan horse attack, they see this kid coming in with quiffy hair, a vegetarian pin on my jacket and a timid "i have some questions if you don't mind sir..." which they can't help but welcome with open arms :laugh:

Sweetchuck
09-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Did you get a recorded message that said "press 1 for hhcccchhhhh!"?

bullypulpit
10-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Most religionists, regardless of faith, get skippy when you start asking questions they can't answer with pure dogma. Course, if you want to find out about <a href=http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/JamVari.html>the varieties of religious experience</a>, ask an agnostic or an atheist. Or you can read William James' book of the same title.

actsnoblemartin
10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
so im confused as to whether I should email my questions or go in and talk the imam face to face

the advantage of email is I can share his answers with y'all

plus its an hour an 11 min bus ride each way

now that im over my cold, im debating whether to go into the mosque and ask those questions or email the imam, so i can share the answers with you

what do you think?

my questions

#1 paraphrasing myself, can you explain to me what happened after muslims death, the popular notion is that islam tried to take over the world, is this a misconception?

#2 I have heard, and read about some of the versus, about 100 or so, that have caused contreversy, why do terrorists, keep sighting them as justification and should they be taken out?

#3 why are women, gays, and non muslims mistreated in parts of the muslim world like saudi arabia

#4 why so many muslims seem to hate israel, it makes me feel hated as a jew and I dont even live there, but im half israeli, but its as if a lot of muslims wont say anything about palestinian terrorism, i.e. hamas, and others, but israel is satan

makes me sad

pete311
10-15-2010, 02:31 PM
#1 paraphrasing myself, can you explain to me what happened after muslims death, the popular notion is that islam tried to take over the world, is this a misconception?

#2 I have heard, and read about some of the versus, about 100 or so, that have caused contreversy, why do terrorists, keep sighting them as justification and should they be taken out?

#3 why are women, gays, and non muslims mistreated in parts of the muslim world like saudi arabia

#4 why so many muslims seem to hate israel, it makes me feel hated as a jew and I dont even live there, but im half israeli, but its as if a lot of muslims wont say anything about palestinian terrorism, i.e. hamas, and others, but israel is satan

these questions are both cultural and political, not really about Islam.

actsnoblemartin
10-15-2010, 02:34 PM
what culture is it?

islamic culture?

arab culture?

mid east culture?

I appreciate the feed back, as ive talked with a couple of my muslims friends on this issue, to see if these were politically insensitive or rude. I wanna ask the tough questions, but I wanna be fair, not a bully or beligerant

these questions are both cultural and political, not really about Islam.

gabosaurus
10-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Martin, I encourage you to go down and ask them in person. Be open minded and ask honest questions. I have done it. I am sure you can do it as well.

pete311
10-15-2010, 02:55 PM
what culture is it?

islamic culture?

arab culture?

mid east culture?

I appreciate the feed back, as ive talked with a couple of my muslims friends on this issue, to see if these were politically insensitive or rude. I wanna ask the tough questions, but I wanna be fair, not a bully or beligerant

it's hard to define, a little of each other those. i've traveled in several mideast countries, tanzania/zanzibar (mostly muslim) and malaysia (country with largest muslim pop in the world). each muslim country has differences. the muslim world is not as unified as people like to believe. there is a wide range of cultural and political ideologies and customs that mix with the classic Islamic religion. many people see political views and cultural customs and think they are defined in the Koran, but many are not. certainly this Imam will have very interesting and worthwhile answers perhaps, but just note, they are not really about Islam.

Noir
10-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Most religionists, regardless of faith, get skippy when you start asking questions they can't answer with pure dogma. Course, if you want to find out about <a href=http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/JamVari.html>the varieties of religious experience</a>, ask an agnostic or an atheist. Or you can read William James' book of the same title.

Aren't you a Buddhist?