PDA

View Full Version : Have fun boys and girls

Sweetchuck
10-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm out, heading to another forum.

I've always been a proponent of forum integrity. By integrity I don't mean the quality of posters but the administration of the forum. I'm all for setting rules and adhering to them however I've been several times alarmed by the somewhat randomness of banning members, locking posts and deleting threads/posts at the whim of moderation without regard to what is printed in the rules. Had that happen a couple times too many to me without even so much as a courtesy PM and that disregard to credibility a deal killer for me.

My intent isn't to trash the administrators here, don't take it that way. Maybe this might be a wake-up call that might give the admins here pause to consider the integrity of the forum.

Maybe I'll see some of yinz down the road somewhere, it's a small political forum world.

Peace

SassyLady
10-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Sweet .... who do you think has been banned that didn't deserve it?

Personally, I think the mods know the majority of posters that come here, they know what this board can tolerate (regardless of the rules) and I believe they are on top of things.

I think giving posters timeouts is very appropriate to keep this board alive.

Good luck at your new board.

Agnapostate
10-02-2010, 12:42 AM
You didn't exactly strike me as an especially intelligent or valuable contributor...except in the context of this forum. In comparisons to the likes of dead states and Pissilecan, you were the third-grader in a fight with kindergarteners. You won the fight, but you still weren't a UFC champ. You were a third-grader who beat up kindergarteners.

It is true that in the absence of clearly defined rules and such, administrators will take advantage of the void in order to make up inconsistent rules and policies as they go along, and that does go on here.

darin
10-02-2010, 12:43 AM
"farewell - LOOK AT ME" threads are lame.

jimnyc
10-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm out, heading to another forum.

I'm honestly very sorry to read this. I enjoyed having you around here. But at least allow me to respond to your last post.

I've always been a proponent of forum integrity. By integrity I don't mean the quality of posters but the administration of the forum. I'm all for setting rules and adhering to them however I've been several times alarmed by the somewhat randomness of banning members, locking posts and deleting threads/posts at the whim of moderation without regard to what is printed in the rules.

We never randomly ban members, and I would never stand for staff doing so. Every member that ever received a temp ban deserved it, and every permanent ban was for VERY good reason as those aren't issues unless it's a spammer or someone who is a serious detriment to the board. Keep in mind, you might see something somewhat benign by a member on the board, but unaware that that same member might have sent me a PM talking smack about me and my family. In a case like that, the member will be history and you may believe they didn't deserve it. We don't always make every reason public for every member.

We lock threads that turn into flame fests or no longer serve any purpose but to set things in a negative light. Sometimes threads/posts are deleted by staff in the best interest of the board. Not EVERYTHING has to be in the rules for us to think it's not good for our audience. While I am a TRUE proponent of freedom of speech here, we still would like to keep a sense of decency and "family" about the board. Your most recent post in the humor section was one of those that was deleted based on a staff members best interest of our board. It was deemed to be a little over the top along the lines of decency. Yes, it would have been great if you were notified instantly about the deletion. But when you inquired as much from me, I told you exactly what happened, then the staff member also told you that they did so and I believe apologized.

Had that happen a couple times too many to me without even so much as a courtesy PM and that disregard to credibility a deal killer for me.

Staff members are no different than you and I, we make mistakes and sometimes we are busy. If you ask me, you will always receive an answer though. I just don't think a semi non-decent video posted - then being deleted - is worth getting hyped about and quitting the board.

My intent isn't to trash the administrators here, don't take it that way. Maybe this might be a wake-up call that might give the admins here pause to consider the integrity of the forum.

The integrity of the forum is exactly what we were trying to preserve. We allow a lot to take place here and a lot more than "most" political forums. But I won't apologize for the desire to have an adult, free speech board, but with limitations to keep it "family oriented". Ever go to a family party/BBQ? Things get a little loud, cursing all over, lots of drinking and some loud partiers. Same goes here, a party for "family", but as soon as a family member crosses the line where the women or children of our family might be exposed to "too much" - we try to have the drunk member cool down a bit or take a nap and start over tomorrow.

Maybe I'll see some of yinz down the road somewhere, it's a small political forum world.

Peace

I hope you'll re-think your decision. If not, best of luck to you - and "Let's go Steelers!!!"