PDA

View Full Version : Old Motorcycle Stories

glockmail
05-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Motorcycles

When I was in High School my best buddy had a 1970 Suzuki 250 dirt bike that he bought well used. He was driving it on a railroad track when he broke what he thought were some minor mechanicals off the side of the engine case. It continued to run so of course he ran it, until the engine seized. The mechanicals he broke turned out to be part of the oil injector system for the “one lung” two stroke motor.

He owed me 50 bucks from I forget what and kept delaying on repaying me, so I took the broken bike for it. I had the cylinder bored and bought a new piston and got the bottom end working for very little money, but the broken injector part could only be purchased from a dealer as a complete kit for well over $100, so I plugged all the lines and holes and mixed oil into the gas. I rode that bike down every dirt road I could find, woods, trails, construction sites, landfills, you name it. I avoided a lot of solid objects and took a lot of spills, and learned how to ride real well, all experiences that proved to serve me well later on the streets. It was a good bike and continued to serve me well for about 8 years.

When I dropped out college after three semesters I bought a well used 1971 Honda 450 Scrambler that was street legal. It was a four stroke, two cylinders, drum brakes and the exhaust came up the side and exited high like a dirt bike, giving it the ground clearance for minor off road capability. Top speed was about 65 and if you squeezed the front brake like Vice Grips it would eventually stop. It was light enough to do a sideways stop like a kid on a coaster brake bike.

As an incentive to get back to college my grandparents gave me about half of what it took to buy my dream machine: a brand new 1979 Kawasaki KZ 650C. The price was right because the dealer had not sold it from the previous year. It was a sweet ride, being everything that the Honda was not: very quiet, smooth, and quick as hell, with triple disk brakes so I could bring her back down even faster. I’d eventually ride it all through the Northeast, from Vermont to New Jersey. As soon as the snow melted, I'd bring it out of storage, clean it up, tune it up, change the oil, and she'd always start on the first try. I'd wear a ski suit, hiking boots, heavy sweaters and two jackets for The First Spring Ride. Back at college it was a babe magnet, and I owe it the fact that I met my future wife by offering her a ride. Over the years I rigged it with a rear seat back and small luggage rack, electronic ignition, and a small fairing that I painted to match the metallic blue on the gas tank. During the summers I’d commute to Boston during the week and drive to NYC to see my girl on weekends.

My dirt bike skills served me well negotiating Boston traffic. Northeast drivers and especially Bostonians are skilled at risking your life to save themselves a few seconds. The intersection at the start of Storrow Drive is four lanes, necks down to two, then another two get added on before you swoop under the first 10’ high bridge. In my first encounter with this notorious intersection I ended up in a sea of cars and nearly got pushed into the guard rail by a driver who saw my vehicle as an opportunity to take 3/4 of a lane. From then on I learned to time that light to get the red, work through the lines of stopped cars then jet out ahead at the green, letting them catch up nearly a mile later.

On one return commute I got cut off during a left turn by a driver turning it into a double left, and ended up stopped behind a parked car on the shoulder, taking mental note of the offender. About a week later the same thing happened, same car, so I followed him about ten miles until he went around the same block twice. I then pulled up beside him in stopped traffic, pounded on his window and bent down to get a good look at his face. When the middle aged man was faced with the prospect of hands on with an athletic, bearded 20-something he nearly pissed his pants. The warning was sufficient to keep the double left from reoccurring.

Several attempts by drivers in both Boston and New York to end my life have occurred. On another occasion I followed the would be killer to a red light, then rolled into his stopped bumper, causing his car to lurch and suddenly change from a weapon to a locked door refuge that he could not be extracted.

On multi leg stop-sign intersections I found it advantageous to become a traffic cop. At the front of the line I would stand off the seat and point to the car on the left to go, then straight, then right, establishing authority and set order of movement before I jetted off, leaving the sheep mystified.

One weekend on Cape Cod I decided to forgo the Sunday night ride home and commute directly to Boston on Monday morning. I left the house at 6 am for the 90 minute ride and ended up in five lanes of traffic on the three lane Southeast Expressway. It was easily the most frightening discretionary situation I have ever experienced and one not to be repeated.

On crowded urban roads a motorcyclist always has to choose the portion of his lane carefully. The center has an oil slick that will build up on your tires and make your next quick turn or stop more exciting than it needs to be. The left tire track is closest to opposing traffic with the possibility of quick death from a clueless or murderous driver. Cars passing on the left also tend to cut in front of you quicker than if you were driving a longer, larger vehicle, with the possibility of attaching your front wheel to their rear bumper. The right track would seem to be the safest choice, except that passing drivers then assume you are riding a bicycle on the shoulder, and use half of your lane during their maneuver. My choice became an active strategy: use the right side until the car behind you looks to be contemplating a pass, then switch to the left side, then back again to the right when the passing car is alongside. This had the added advantage that the driver about to pass can’t see as well around you, and is forced to make more of a commitment in the passing lane, increasing his relative speed for a quicker pass.

“Tailgaters” that are annoyances in my large car are dangerous on a motorcycle, as your life instead of merely your bumper becomes dependant on another drivers reaction time. Speeding up exposes you to the risk of a ticket or the driver assuming that you wish to compete. Slowing down is rarely a good option, as most drivers assume that you want them to follow you even closer. I developed the strategy of remaining on the left side of the lane (where I have been anticipating a pass), and with my left arm fully extended physically waving the motorist on to pass. Again, by taking the assertive role of the traffic cop, you maneuver the sheep around you to a safer position. More than once a especially sheepish driver would refuse the instruction, prompting me to make a “reverse pass” by moving to the left lane, squeezing the brake, and pulling back in behind.

I owned the Kawasaki for 15 years and put 40K miles on it, eventually moving it with me to Upstate New York, where I figured it would serve me well on those back country roads. Over the years the annual First Spring Ride became more of a chore, and I found that riding a motorcycle was simply not the thrill that riding had once been. Most of all, drivers in cars could still not see me, and as my adult responsibilities increased I became increasing apprehensive of the price I may have to pay for someone else’s inattention. I sold the bike soon after my son was born.

Pale Rider
05-03-2007, 02:31 AM
GREAT story glock. I enjoyed it right up the part where you said you quit. I think you should rekindle that experience. There's nothing like riding a motorcycle. It's the one pleasure I truely enjoy in my life. I've been riding since I was nine years old. I'm going to be 52 in July. I wouldn't give it up for anything, even though I've just gone through an acident where an asshole ran a red light making a left turn in front of me and a brother causing me to T-BONE into the back side of his Expedition. It wasn't MY fault, and I won't give up riding because of it.

If you've never riden a motorcycle, you won't understand. The experience is spiritual. It rejuvinates me. Clears my head. Makes me feel alone which I enjoy, even when I'm riding with brothers.

diuretic
05-03-2007, 03:51 AM
I worked in an outback opal mining town many years ago and motorcycles were the preferred mode of transport for the younger blokes (as I was back then, it was 1973). I couldn't afford a motorcycle but my mate let me ride his Bultaco Trials bike (don't ask I have no idea about technicalities), but it was a great bike to ride over rough ground, standing up on the pegs and it was a hoot going up scree hills (and falling off, at low speed thankfully) as it climbed up through all the loose ironstone and sandstone. No, I'm not a bike rider but I used to enjoy taking that Bultaco on creek rides and through eroded trails.

As part of my work for a few years I used to ride a trail bike (Suzuki 250cc again it was given to me by my employer so I have no idea about finer points) around sheep and cattle stations usually in the outback here. Great fun but once I did a muster with a terrible hangover from a big drink the night before. I had to keep getting off the bike and have a chuck, get back on again and get mustering. Yes I know, disgusting. :coffee:

Pale Rider
05-03-2007, 06:01 AM
I have some old pictures of me when I was knee high to grass hopper sitting on my first motorcycle. I used to have them in my pictures files, but when I bought this new computer... well... shit got lost... no further explanation.

I'm going to dig the old photos back out and rescan them.......

glockmail
05-03-2007, 06:11 AM
GREAT story glock. I enjoyed it right up the part where you said you quit. I think you should rekindle that experience. There's nothing like riding a motorcycle. It's the one pleasure I truely enjoy in my life. I've been riding since I was nine years old. I'm going to be 52 in July. I wouldn't give it up for anything, even though I've just gone through an acident where an asshole ran a red light making a left turn in front of me and a brother causing me to T-BONE into the back side of his Expedition. It wasn't MY fault, and I won't give up riding because of it.

If you've never riden a motorcycle, you won't understand. The experience is spiritual. It rejuvinates me. Clears my head. Makes me feel alone which I enjoy, even when I'm riding with brothers.

Yes it is spiritual. I just watched "The Wild One" on TCM last night, and the part where Brando's riding with his girl with those huge trees in the moonlight. It reminded me of my first ride with my wife.

Never say never, but if I had the money to burn I'd probably buy a new Mustang GT before I bought a new bike and started riding again. I use to have a '98, Laser Red, 5 speed, OHC V8 and that was very fun to drive, especially on a twisty road. There is nothing like the feeling of braking/ downshifting for a turn, jumping on the gas, yanking that wheel, hooking up the rear and accelerating through and out of a turn, using the gas to steer. Plus it had heat and AC.

My jap-bike was fun when I had it, and I've got friends with new Harleys that are truly awesome machines, but I just don't see myself on one at this stage of my life. I can develop a whole list of excuses, but honestly I remember too many times were the only thing between me and some idiot was my youthful, lightning reaction times. When I fell off a ladder painting the house a few years back, not realizing that I had fallen until I was on the ground, I came to the realization that those days were over.

Maybe that's why I like alpine skiing so much. That is spiritual in itself. 45 mph on two boards is damn exciting as well. And there's no SUVs in my way.

glockmail
05-03-2007, 06:13 AM
I have some old pictures of me when I was knee high to grass hopper sitting on my first motorcycle. I used to have them in my pictures files, but when I bought this new computer... well... shit got lost... no further explanation.

I'm going to dig the old photos back out and rescan them....... Mozy.com (or others) offsite backup, "unlimited" storage, $5/ month. I got 25 gig on it.

Pale Rider
05-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Mozy.com (or others) offsite backup, "unlimited" storage, $5/ month. I got 25 gig on it.

Got a 250 gig hard drive on my computer. I shouldn't need to buy any storage, although I appreciate the suggestion.

Hell... with 250 gig, I could damn near sell hosting space myself... :laugh2:

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Stop it you guys, you've got me wanting another bike! :slap:

LiberalNation
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Taking my motorcycle permit test today. Don't have my own bike yet but looking or my dads looking. Want a small one to learn on like a 250.

jackass
05-03-2007, 08:08 AM
I bought a very used 1970ish Honda-matic when I was in high school. It was a POS but it was my first bike and I LOVEd to take it out for spins. I have been looking into getting another bike and actually getting my license this time. Hopefully by this time next year I will have it.

glockmail
05-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Got a 250 gig hard drive on my computer. I shouldn't need to buy any storage, although I appreciate the suggestion.

Hell... with 250 gig, I could damn near sell hosting space myself... :laugh2:

What do you do if it crashes? They can't be fixed.

In my work The Man requires me to keep records for 7 years. This use to mean a small garage space for files and rolls of drawings. Over the years I've gone 95% electronic, using all sorts of crap to backup. Th 5 bucks I pay Mozy more than pays for the equipment and time to backup. Plus I used to store the data in my car, which wasn't all that safe either.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Harley Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI 2005 - Only 1120 miles - Two Tone Black/Lava Red Sunglo, 1550 Screaming Eagle Stage II EFI Big Bore Kit, EFI Race Tuner Kit, Rinehart True Dual Pipes, Chrome Front End, Factory Cruise, Security, Detachable Backrest and Luggage Rack.

Pale, being the HD guy, whats it worth?

Abbey Marie
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Off-topic, but,

Pale: I LOVE your new avatar! It's so Desperado. :beer:

LiberalNation
05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Passed the test, didn't miss a single question. Now I just need a bike. Think I'm going to go next weekend to a class to learn how to ride. 8 hours a day for two days sounds tiring when I could just have my dad teach me but they'll give you your license when your done and you don't have to take a driving test at the courthouse.

Want a Ninja. Still trying to convince my parents on that one though.

jackass
05-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey Pale...ever hear of this bike?

Vision Cruiser 250 R3

Any thoughts on it? Looks very affordable and my wife wants a bike too...soooo.. that could be her cheap bike!! :)

glockmail
05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Off-topic, but,

Pale: I LOVE your new avatar! It's so Desperado. :beer: Methinks he needs reading glasses. :poke:

glockmail
05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Passed the test, didn't miss a single question. Now I just need a bike. Think I'm going to go next weekend to a class to learn how to ride. 8 hours a day for two days sounds tiring when I could just have my dad teach me but they'll give you your license when your done and you don't have to take a driving test at the courthouse.

Want a Ninja. Still trying to convince my parents on that one though.

Perfect scenario for organ donation.

Did you bother to read the first part of the story?

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Perfect scenario for organ donation.

Did you bother to read the first part of the story?

Yeah, and any parent that buys their TEEN a motor should be jailed for child endangerment!

LiberalNation
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
lol no I don't think so.

I could be just as safe on a crotch rocket as some 20 somethin guy. Being a teen wont be the problem.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
lol no I don't think so.

I could be just as safe on a crotch rocket as some 20 somethin guy. Being a teen wont be the problem.

Don't we love the no-it-all kids?

LiberalNation
05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I love my know-it-all self. So tell me the prob, why would it be more dangerous for me to ride a bike then anyone else who just happens to be a few years older.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I love my know-it-all self. So tell me the prob, why would it be more dangerous for me to ride a bike then anyone else who just happens to be a few years older.

Road experience and maturity to start with.

LiberalNation
05-03-2007, 04:23 PM
You only get road experiance by doing it. As for maturity, like I said I think I would be just as mature and more then the 20 somethin guys I see driving around. Going between cars and weaving in and out of traffic extremely fast is something I would be too skittish to do.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
You only get road experiance by doing it. As for maturity, like I said I think I would be just as mature and more then the 20 somethin guys I see driving around. Going between cars and weaving in and out of traffic extremely fast is something I would be too skittish to do.

Don't believe me? Ask the insurance company why your rates are higher than those of someone older. They have valid statistics for it. Run a car for 5 years or so before a bike.

LiberalNation
05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Nah I think I will enjoy riding a bike and if I die on it I uess you can just say I told ya so.

glockmail
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
didn't we just have a thread about hijacking threads? This was supposed to be about good judgement and valid experiences.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Nah I think I will enjoy riding a bike and if I die on it I uess you can just say I told ya so.

Yea, I could say "I told you so". Would you listen then?

glockmail
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Make sure your organ donor card is valid before you ride.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 06:19 PM
didn't we just have a thread about hijacking threads? This was supposed to be about good judgement and valid experiences.

Yer right sorry..my fault I think.. I do have stories.. ever see a Honda 550 four and a Honda 350 loaded on a UH1-H..? *For personal transportation while on 6 weeks of temp duty.

I gotta find the pic.