PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Casualties: Theirs and Ours - By William Blum

abso
10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Civilian Casualties: Theirs and Ours
By William Blum

The question is now upon us.

Who killed more innocent, defenseless people? The terrorists in the United States on September 11 with their crashing airplanes? Or the American government in Afghanistan the past ten weeks with their AGM-86D cruise missiles, their AGM-130 missiles, their 15,000 pound "daisy cutter" bombs, their depleted uranium, and their cluster bombs?

The count in New York and Washington is now a little over 3,000 and going down steadily. The total count of civilian dead in Afghanistan has been essentially ignored by American officials and the domestic media, but a painstaking compilation of domestic and international press reports by University of New Hampshire professor Marc Herold, hunting down the many incidents of 100-plus counts of the dead, the scores of dead, the dozens, and the smaller numbers, arrived at 3,767 through December 6, and still counting.

Source (http://www.counterpunch.org/blumcasualties.html)

Kathianne
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
By William Blum

Who killed more innocent, defenseless people? The terrorists in the United States on September 11 with their crashing airplanes? Or the American government in Afghanistan the past ten weeks with their AGM-86D cruise missiles, their AGM-130 missiles, their 15,000 pound "daisy cutter" bombs, their depleted uranium, and their cluster bombs?

The count in New York and Washington is now a little over 3,000 and going down steadily. The total count of civilian dead in Afghanistan has been essentially ignored by American officials and the domestic media, but a painstaking compilation of domestic and international press reports by University of New Hampshire professor Marc Herold, hunting down the many incidents of 100-plus counts of the dead, the scores of dead, the dozens, and the smaller numbers, arrived at 3,767 through December 6, and still counting.

Ah, people say, but the terrorists purposely aimed to kill civilians (actually, many of the victims were military or military employees), while any non-combatant victims of the American bombings were completely accidental.

Oh boy, Abso has found Counterpunch. Great, just great! :cool:

jimnyc
10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh boy, Abso has found Counterpunch. Great, just great! :cool:

Nonstop repetitive articles puking out pretty much the same topic. He's an idiot, no other explanation.

Kathianne
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Nonstop repetitive articles puking out pretty much the same topic. He's an idiot, no other explanation.

Yep, I'll edit my own post, as I've already done his.

Trigg
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
How many innocent adults and children have the terrorists in Afghanistan and Iraq killed with their car bombs???

How many women and children did Saddam kill?

Or is that some how ok since it's Muslim's killing Muslim women and children?

At least the forces over there are actively trying not to involve civilians in the fighting unlike the terrorists who blow up crowded market places.

KarlMarx
10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
retaliation for decades of military, economic and political oppression imposed upon the Middle East by The American Empire
So far, the only thing I've seen from your ravings is that Moslems hate Jews and hate Westerners.... so, don't wonder if many of us on this board think of Islam as a religion of hatred and murder.... you have done nothing to convince us otherwise....

I wonder, Abso, how you would feel if someone on this board said that they felt that America ought to drop an atomic weapon on Mecca and Medina during the Haj because they thought you people have it coming to you?

I wonder how you would feel if someone advocated bulldozing the Kaaba and building a synagogue on top of its ruins... or better yet... a pig farm?

That's what you do to us... Americans died on September 11th... some of those people were our friends or our relatives....

and you think they had it coming to them?

As for that "American empire" nonsense.....

Before Europeans arrived in the Middle East, you were mostly poor Bedouins with nothing to your names. That just about sums it up. The knowledge that you cultivated in the Middle Ages while we were in our Dark Ages was replaced for the most part with ignorance....

American oil companies came in, and made your countries wealthy. Your rulers, for the most part, took a lot of that wealth for themselves and left many in the Middle East just as poor as before.

Instead of focusing on events that happened almost 40 generations ago, why don't you start looking at the real causes of the problems in your countries? Ignorance, the lack of opportunities for young people to better themselves, and over powering hatred of Jews and Westerners.

It's very easy to blame someone else for your problems, but it doesn't solve anything.

Noir
10-04-2010, 07:32 PM
By William Blum

Mkay, two things, firstly the 9/11 death toll steadily going down? People just popping up outa the grave?

Secondly and more importantly, do you think everyone of the 3767 dead in Pakistain are innocent and defenceless?

namvet
10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
we feel so guilty. lock and load

Gaffer
10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I saw no date on the article but it appears to be early 2002. That takes real digging to come up with something like that. This appears to be another Bush condemnation article. I didn't read the whole article as the first paragraph told me where it was going. But it's at least 8 years old.

namvet
10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I saw no date on the article but it appears to be early 2002. That takes real digging to come up with something like that. This appears to be another Bush condemnation article. I didn't read the whole article as the first paragraph told me where it was going. But it's at least 8 years old.

so is the OP

SassyLady
10-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Yep ... I have put Abso and Agna on ignore...cannot stomach the stench any longer.