PDA

View Full Version : Killing Other People's Children - By Lawrence McGuire

abso
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Killing Other People's Children
By Lawrence McGuire

Date of article: December 20, 2001

Parts from the article:

The deep craters and pieces of shrapnel indicate that America's weapon of choice in Kabul was the Mark 82 500lb bomb, which is designed to be guided to its target by the pilot, a nearby observation plane or a spotter on the ground.

But there was nothing accurate about the 500lb bomb which fell on Bibi Mahru.

It killed Gul Ahmad, 40, a Hazara carpet weaver, his second wife Sima, 35, their five daughters and his son by his first wife. Two children living next door were also killed.
----------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps my focus on the deaths of children is a result of morbidity. If so, then at least I share some respectful company. For example one of my favorite writers, Kentucky farmer Wendell Berry, also is contemplating the deaths of other people's children these days:

Here is the other question that I have been leading toward, one that the predicament of modern warfare forces upon us: How many deaths of other people's children by bombing or starvation are we willing to accept in order that we may be free, affluent, and (supposedly) at peace? To that question I answer: None. Please, no children. Don't kill any children for my benefit.

Full Article (http://www.counterpunch.org/mcguire1.html)

Kathianne
10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Counterpunch. Great source. If Bully was on the right he'd have way more words, but I'll just let this go.

namvet
10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Killing Other People's Children
By Lawrence McGuire

Date of article: December 20, 2001

Parts from the article:

The deep craters and pieces of shrapnel indicate that America's weapon of choice in Kabul was the Mark 82 500lb bomb, which is designed to be guided to its target by the pilot, a nearby observation plane or a spotter on the ground.

But there was nothing accurate about the 500lb bomb which fell on Bibi Mahru.

It killed Gul Ahmad, 40, a Hazara carpet weaver, his second wife Sima, 35, their five daughters and his son by his first wife. Two children living next door were also killed.

Perhaps my focus on the deaths of children is a result of morbidity. If so, then at least I share some respectful company. For example one of my favorite writers, Kentucky farmer Wendell Berry, also is contemplating the deaths of other people's children these days:

Here is the other question that I have been leading toward, one that the predicament of modern warfare forces upon us: How many deaths of other people's children by bombing or starvation are we willing to accept in order that we may be free, affluent, and (supposedly) at peace? To that question I answer: None. Please, no children. Don't kill any children for my benefit.

Full Article (http://www.counterpunch.org/mcguire1.html)

2001. and you just got it??? :laugh2:

abso
10-05-2010, 01:55 AM
2001. and you just got it??? :laugh2:

YES, its my first time to read it, and i believe that its your first time to see that article too, so whats your point ?

does articles get too old to be posted ???, as you may know, they are not computers or cars.

namvet
10-05-2010, 08:11 AM
YES, its my first time to read it, and i believe that its your first time to see that article too, so whats your point ?

does articles get too old to be posted ???, as you may know, they are not computers or cars.

we were here in dec of 2001. where were you??? on the moon???

im putiin' your ass on ignore.

abso
10-05-2010, 10:01 AM
we were here in dec of 2001. where were you??? on the moon???

im putiin' your ass on ignore.

another disrespectful member, its really hard to find any respect from anyone in this forum if you have any opposite point of view to his own.

if you people does not respect the other point of view, and not ready to discuss it or deal with it, then why are you participating in debate forum !!!

Kathianne
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
another disrespectful member, its really hard to find any respect from anyone in this forum if you have any opposite point of view to his own.

if you people does not respect the other point of view, and not ready to discuss it or deal with it, then why are you participating in debate forum !!!

Not another member, same one. Perhaps you should add him to your ignore list.

Agnapostate
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
The only response that can be offered are attacks against the article's source and date, instead of its contents?

abso
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Not another member, same one. Perhaps you should add him to your ignore list.

i dont need to, if he wants to ignore me, then its fine with me, i am not here to force anyone to read my posts, if someone is willing to discuss with me, all i am asking for is some respect and manners, nothing more than that, and if someone wants to ignore my posts, then its his choice, he doesnt need to reply with disrespect, there is no need for that, we are not here to have quarrels :salute:

abso
10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
The only response that can be offered are attacks against the article's source and date, instead of its contents?

its actually getting better, at least thats better than attacking the one who posted the article, i usualy get attacks against me and my faith and my country and my region, so attacking the article source and date is an improvent :laugh:

i hope next time that the attacks will be in the right place, at the contents only and the information which is mentioned in it, not the person who posted them or the source or the date, information is still information regardless whoever posted them, written them, or hosted them on his site.

Kathianne
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
i dont need to, if he wants to ignore me, then its fine with me, i am not here to force anyone to read my posts, if someone is willing to discuss with me, all i am asking for is some respect and manners, nothing more than that, and if someone wants to ignore my posts, then its his choice, he doesnt need to reply with disrespect, there is no need for that, we are not here to have quarrels :salute:

Ah yes, understand your feelings, but he probably will continue in that vein. Your choice.

darin
10-05-2010, 07:40 PM
its actually getting better, at least thats better than attacking the one who posted the article, i usualy get attacks against me and my faith and my country and my region, so attacking the article source and date is an improvent :laugh:

i hope next time that the attacks will be in the right place, at the contents only and the information which is mentioned in it, not the person who posted them or the source or the date, information is still information regardless whoever posted them, written them, or hosted them on his site.

Abso - you seem like a reasonable guy.

Here's the deal...when mainstream islam stops supporting terror-preaching imams, and loudly condemns the killing of non-combatants, AND urges groups like Hamas to stop their attempted genocide on Israel, the world will find peace. That's honestly what it will take, bro.

You and me? We're at peace - unless you want to kill me for posting a cartoon of Mohammed - I haven't...but if I DID, it would be in the name of Free Speech - NOT specifically to insult you or any other Muslim. Make sense?

السلام عليكم

abso
10-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Abso - you seem like a reasonable guy.

Here's the deal...when mainstream islam stops supporting terror-preaching imams, and loudly condemns the killing of non-combatants, AND urges groups like Hamas to stop their attempted genocide on Israel, the world will find peace. That's honestly what it will take, bro.

You and me? We're at peace - unless you want to kill me for posting a cartoon of Mohammed - I haven't...but if I DID, it would be in the name of Free Speech - NOT specifically to insult you or any other Muslim. Make sense?

السلام عليكم

I agree with you, we are at peace, i have no intention of ever harming anyone in my life, wutever the reason was, unless i am physically attacked, but i will never harm anyone just because he is talking and stating his opinion, i wont respect his opinion if he is disrespecting me or insulting me, but i will never retaliate with harming him.

about the cartoons, i will never harm anyone because he posted them, its his choice, but i will get offended by them, and i will stop debating with him, because i dont need to debate with people who deflect from debates with insulting the other side faith, we are not here to insult each other's faiths, everyone is free to have his own religion, and you will notice, that since i joined this forum, i have never ever insulted any religion at all, i hold much respect for all the religions, thats part of me being a muslim, who holds respect for Muhammed and Jesus and Moses.

and i understand your opinion about free speech, also i disagree in a way, because for me, when my freedom hurt others, then i dont need it, i dont want to enjoy my freedom by hurting others feelings, because if i did so, that clearly shows how much kindness i have in my heart, i would be prefering promoting an idea which is free speech, than respecting the feelings of over than 1.5 billion people.

عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
Peace be upon you and the mercy and blessings of God

Noir
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Regaurding the OP, should we just accept that some people can murder children just because they are the head of a country? Just how many people would Saddam of had to of gassed before you thought we should do something (or would you never do anything, because 'if we go in their, we may kill their children, so to be certain we can't let's do nothing')
I'm as probably more anti-war than the majority on the board, but that OP is laughable in it's viewpoint imo

And as an aside, again you mentioned that we should 'respect' eachother in a way to not 'offend' eachother :laugh:

LuvRPgrl
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Nope, the post needs to find actual figures on how many children have inadvertently been killed and quit using emotional arguements.

Fact is, in every war, every side has friendly fire casualties, they are no less tragic then the accidental killing of children.

Not to mention that Saddam Hussein even had prisons for kids, so if some children have to be subject to danger of life and limb, its unavoidable when we are actually trying to secure those children of the rights they wont have if we dont step in

LuvRPgrl
10-07-2010, 01:10 PM

You would probably be best served if you just ignore such attacks
As for military cemetaries, they are also filled with men and women who died to secure our rights.

It allows you to practice your religion (however false it may be, but I respect your right to choose to follow a pedophile

Lastly, if you stand for peace, then you should be fighting to get the terrorists to end their murderous practice of killing men, WOMEN AND CHILDREN

Agnapostate
10-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Nope, the post needs to find actual figures on how many children have inadvertently been killed and quit using emotional arguements.

Yes, and estimates do exist. However, no objection along those lines at all was mentioned in the first few posts. Instead, attacks on the article's source and date were offered.

Kathianne
10-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Yes, and estimates do exist. However, no objection along those lines at all was mentioned in the first few posts. Instead, attacks on the article's source and date were offered.

Yes, 'estimates' of anywhere from thousands to tens of millions. Only the children and families actually hurt.

Noir
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Am rather disappointed abso didn't respond to my question, oh wells.

LuvRPgrl
10-17-2010, 03:21 PM

then post em and drop the emotional arguements which are suited for uneducated, ignorant and stupid people, the kind the liberals and dems depend on

revelarts
10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I saw some estimates on the numbers, but I doubt if most of the folks here would accept them. even though they are from an ally's newspaper in Pakistan (who were bombing). the U.S. Count for innocents killed verses enemy kills is much lower.

Old saying," In war, truth is the first casualty."