PDA

View Full Version : College acceptance!!

Nukeman
10-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Well My oldest child just recieved notification that he was accepted to his first choice college for the 2011 school year. :thumb: He is very excited but is waiting to hear back from about 3-4 others.

Now comes the hard part of paying for everything. His first choice is within 30 miles so he won't have to live on campus and that saves some money... He is going for a BS in Mechanical engineering with a minor in aeronautical.

Kathianne
10-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Well My oldest child just recieved notification that he was accepted to his first choice college for the 2011 school year. :thumb: He is very excited but is waiting to hear back from about 3-4 others.

Now comes the hard part of paying for everything. His first choice is within 30 miles so he won't have to live on campus and that saves some money... He is going for a BS in Mechanical engineering with a minor in aeronautical.

Congratulations to him!

darin
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
re: Paying for it. Some states offer free tuition for those students enlisted into the state National Guard...just sayin...

:)

Congrats bro.

Nukeman
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
re: Paying for it. Some states offer free tuition for those students enlisted into the state National Guard...just sayin...

:)

Congrats bro.He is actively looking into AROTC scholarships. This college offers airforce ROTC thru Notre Dame. He is hoping they will pay for at least 2 years worth if not all 4. we will see how it pans out. He is retaking his SAT this saturday. I think he should be improving over last time significantly due to his math classes since than (not that he did poorly his first time).

SassyLady
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Congratulations you guys!!!

actsnoblemartin
10-08-2010, 12:33 AM
nice :clap:

Nukeman
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Well we went on a tour of Trine University the other day. I must say i am VERY immpressed with the support structure for the student athletes.

The positive side of being at a small private college vs a big state school is they want all the students to do well (looks good for the college). it is more expensive though. We were hoping for him to be able to stay at home but with all the activities and wrestling he would need to stay on campus.

We met with the head Wrestling Coach, they are a division 3 school and ranked 22 in the nation right now (pretty good for a program that is only 6 years old).

Our son REALLY liked the college and everything they have to offer, the only draw back he said he noticed was the male female ratio is 70/30 so not a whole lot of prospects!!

We need to talk to another college, their Wrestling coach called and wants our son to come for a visit and check everything out, the funny thing is he was the assistant coach at Trine last year and is now setting up his own program. We will see what they have to offer as far as scholarships and what not...

He has already been promised a couple of merit scholarships from the first school so we will see what the next has to offer!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed...

SassyLady
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Fingers, toes, eyes are crossed for you guys! :laugh:

Little-Acorn
10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
WAY cool. Congrats!

As for living at school vs. living at home: Remember that not all the education you get at college, happens in the classroom. BTDT. 'Nuff said.
:coffee:

Trigg
10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Well we went on a tour of Trine University the other day. I must say i am VERY immpressed with the support structure for the student athletes.

The positive side of being at a small private college vs a big state school is they want all the students to do well (looks good for the college). it is more expensive though. We were hoping for him to be able to stay at home but with all the activities and wrestling he would need to stay on campus.

We met with the head Wrestling Coach, they are a division 3 school and ranked 22 in the nation right now (pretty good for a program that is only 6 years old).

Our son REALLY liked the college and everything they have to offer, the only draw back he said he noticed was the male female ratio is 70/30 so not a whole lot of prospects!!We need to talk to another college, their Wrestling coach called and wants our son to come for a visit and check everything out, the funny thing is he was the assistant coach at Trine last year and is now setting up his own program. We will see what they have to offer as far as scholarships and what not...

He has already been promised a couple of merit scholarships from the first school so we will see what the next has to offer!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed...

It's an engineering school, not to many girls go into that field.

Little-Acorn
10-29-2010, 02:11 PM
He is going for a BS in Mechanical engineering with a minor in aeronautical.

And keep in mind the old saw:

Aerospace engneers build weapons.
Civil engineers build targets........
:blowup:

(Yes, I'm an aerospace engineer, how did you guess?)

Nukeman
10-29-2010, 07:05 PM
And keep in mind the old saw:

Aerospace engineers build weapons.
Civil engineers build targets........
:blowup:

(Yes, I'm an aerospace engineer, how did you guess?)
Yaa but those "mechanical engineers" keep everything moving!!!!:2up:

chloe
10-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Congrats Nukeman, maybe he will get a scholarship too.

NightTrain
10-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Congrats to both of you!

Abbey Marie
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Nuke, just one word of caution- back in the day, my husband went to an engineering school, with a high male- female ratio. He said there wasn't much fun to be had socially, and he regrets going there. But either way, congrats on the achievement!

Indy
10-31-2010, 04:13 PM

:clap::dance: