PDA

View Full Version : Any VFW Members Here?

Kathianne
10-08-2010, 05:56 AM
My dad was and I don't think he'd have liked this:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2010/10/burn-your-vfw-cards-vote-vets-runs-vfw-pac.html

Last night, we received an interesting email from Bev Perlson, who heads the Band of Mothers group. She's got an awesome email list that is good for keeping up on what's going on around the country.

What was so disturbing was the email listed someone we all know- LTC(r) Allen West, and how the VFW, of all people, THE VEE-EFF-FRICKING-W, was ENDORSING HIS OPPONENT.

You read that right.

His opponent? Democrat Ron Klein. WHO HAS NEVER SERVED IN UNIFORM.

You read THAT right, too.

People, I've been pissed before. Mad, even. Upset. But this? THIS is treasonous to me. For a 'so called' veterans organization to pick a NON-SERVING, NON-VETERAN over one of the MOST PROMISING veterans running in politics is heinous. Disturbing. And shows just how far off-track the VFW has become...

It's not just this one race either, but multiple. There is also an update, that in fairness should be posted:

UPDATE 2: Getting questions and emails on whether we realize there is a difference between VFW and VFW-PAC. Well, there is and there isn't. Let me just say this- if the local VFW chapters, to include the states, are willing to let National allow their PAC to push this type of agenda and these types of candidates, well, bad on them for just standing by. They should be rioting over it. Holding their dues payments where they can. Put pressure on National to adhere to what the LOCALS want, not what National may think 'is best'. Because to do otherwise is utter bullshiite.

To us, this is not an issue of VFW-PAC vs. VFW. They are the same- don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Wolf

Gaffer
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
That just isn't right. I don't follow what groups like that endorse any way. Those that do are just sheep. The VFW is not high on my list of respected organizations.

I never joined the VFW. When I got out of the army my Dad took me down to the local VFW hall, where he was a member, to see about joining. This was in 68. They said I couldn't join because Vietnam was not considered a foreign war. They actually told me that. Needless to say, I never joined or participated with anything they did after that.

darin
10-08-2010, 11:17 AM
<-- been VFW for a couple years.

Psychoblues
10-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I am a life member of the VFW and have been since 1980. Our post does not endorse political candidates and discussing political issues is generally a no-no. As of right now we care deeply about each other and are absolutely desperate to keep our doors open. It hasn't always been this way.

Many of you have already read some of my rants about the VFW and many of my rants have been deleted by the management for no good reason. Que Sera Sera. I watched the VFW's slowly commit suicide. I attended the meetings, the open entertainment nights, worked very hard in the fundraisers and did everything I felt I could do to reverse their idiotic demise in most cases.

Guffer is correct times about a couple million. The WWII vet controlled VFW never accepted the Korean War vets to be as good as they were and the Viet Nam vets were nothing but trash to them and they told both of them over and over they were not welcome as members or in many cases even as participants in the famous VFW Saturday night dances and other night Bingo and other VFW activities. I took leadership positions, I organized and ran outreach programs to Korean and Viet Nam veterans, I BEGGED the WWII types to lighten up and accept in good faith these veterans into our organization. They refused. They, the WWII types, treated them, and certainly me, rudely and with disdain and hate in their hearts. It was a pitiful spectacle to behold.

My original post closed 6 years ago. Not enough dues to support it. When it closed it was appraised at $525,000 and we had several buyers interested. The old timers pissed around and made the buyers mad and as is true with about all real estate the buyers disappeared and it sat there empty, deteriorated and it just sold this summer for $7,000.

I know this doesn't exactly address your concerns, Kathianne, but it is my experience, that and a lot more. I hope we can all here at DP have an HONEST conversation about the VFW and how it might be revived at least to the extent that our veterans have a place to feel welcome, understood and accepted. So often in this country we don't mind sending them off to war but we forget about them when they get back, if they get back.

That's about enough of me in this conversation so far, yall please contribute, OK????

Psychoblues

Abbey Marie
10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Sad to say, but people need to really investigate before joining or supporting any cause, or investing in any company. Progressive Insurance, for one example.

SassyLady
10-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Sad to say, but people need to really investigate before joining or supporting any cause, or investing in any company. Progressive Insurance, for one example.

Yep....I looked into MoveOn.org a few years ago and there was an interesting trail back to Progressive Insurance.

Every time I see one of their ads I fast forward or turn the channel. And, one of the ironies of life is that we built a condo four years ago in a new community and now our street deadends into a street that has a gigantic Progressive Insurance office right there. Ugh!!!

Psychoblues
10-11-2010, 03:29 AM
I don't get the "Progressive Insurance" remarks but maybe this conversation isn't as serious as Kathianne or I thought it was. Once again, our veterans are disrespected by those that would so quickly send them to war and never think about them again.

Love :laugh2:

Psychoblues