PDA

View Full Version : The politicians you deserve...

Noir
10-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Asking my hosts in Connecticut if there was anything worth noting about the upcoming elections in their great state, I received the reply, "Well, we have a guy who wants to be senator who lied about his record of service in Vietnam, and a woman who wants to be senator who has run World Wrestling Entertainment and seems like a tough lady." Though full enough of curiosity to occupy, say, one course of lunch, that still didn't seem to furnish enough material to keep the mind focused on politics for very long.

And this dearth—of genuine topics and of convincing or even plausible candidates—appears to extend from coast to coast. In New York, a rather shopworn son of one Democratic dynasty (and ex-member by marriage of another) is "facing off," as people like to say, against a provincial thug with a line in pseudo-tough talk. In California, where the urgent question of something suspiciously like state failure is staring the electorate in the face, the Brown-Whitman contest hasn't yet risen even to the level of the trivial.
Speaking of things that become blindingly obvious once you notice them, it was only while being interviewed the other day that I came to fully appreciate something that I already knew. I have lived in Washington, D.C., for almost three decades. My own generation is now getting long in the tooth, having lived through some intensely political decades, but when I reflect back, I can only think of two or three members of it who ever tried to run for Congress. Some of this had to do with a '60s-based suspicion of what used to be dismissively called "electoral politics," but the general reluctance goes far deeper than that. And among the politically conscious who are decades younger and up-and-coming, the revulsion appears to be more profound still.

This may seem to discount or ignore the apparent flood of new political volunteers who go to make up the Tea Party movement. But how fresh and original are these faces? They come from a long and frankly somewhat boring tradition of anti-incumbency and anti-Washington rhetoric, and they are rather an insult to anyone with anything of a political memory. Since when is it truly insurgent to rail against the state of affairs in the nation's capital? How long did it take Gingrich's "rebel" forces in the mid-1990s to become soft-bottomed incumbents in their turn? Many of the cynical veterans of that moment, from Dick Armey to John Boehner, are the effective managers and controllers of the allegedly spontaneous Tea Party wave we see today.

Full article- http://www.slate.com/id/2270651/?from=rss

fj1200
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Someone at Slate doesn't like the winds of change.

Noir
10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Someone at Slate doesn't like the winds of change.

It's Christopher Hitchens.
Also, Gringrich in the 1990s, can you enlighten me as I was too young to take note at the time.

KarlMarx
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Let's face it... politicians, musicians, artists, and actors are not like the rest of us... they don't hold the same values as many of us work-a-day Joes. If they did, they wouldn't be in the professions they're in.

Every politician, no matter whether he be Left or Right, has something less than desireable about his life...

I now look for is the kind of public policy they stand for. On that basis, I choose them. It's not what I want, but it seems to be the only realistic alternative.

If we held out for someone who is beyond reproach to run for office, we wouldn't hold elections until the 2nd coming.

fj1200
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
It's Christopher Hitchens.
Also, Gringrich in the 1990s, can you enlighten me as I was too young to take note at the time.

I wouldn't expect that Hitchens would like these "winds of change."

It's inconsequential that Armey and Boehner were around back then if they haven't changed their core principals. Same for Gingrich if he remained true but I'm sure a debate could be made about those three whether they have or not. I think Gingrich left in '02? so he wouldn't have been around for much of the debt runup for example and Armey always seemed to be pretty hardcore.

But nevertheless, that is why the electorate needs to remain vigilant, we can't sit down and be happy about Republicans in control if they don't govern as we truly want.

KarlMarx
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
But nevertheless, that is why the electorate needs to remain vigilant, we can't sit down and be happy about Republicans in control if they don't govern as we truly want.

Hopefully, that's where the Tea Party movement may come in

fj1200
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Hopefully, that's where the Tea Party movement may come in

Exactly, people need to be diligent and pay attention at the primary level especially.