PDA

View Full Version : Only $30 per month to host this board?

gabosaurus
10-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I figured it would be a lot more. My husband would telling me a while back that I should buy DP from Jim and become the new administrator. I told him that might not be a great idea.
I wouldn't mind doing it, though. The board would be a more fun place to post if Abbey and I were the admins. Because women tend to be more rational than men. After all, women only get crazy a few days per month. Men are crazy 24/7.
Everyone would have to re-apply for membership, after they signed their pledge of allegiance to Obama and agreed to register their guns.

Little-Acorn
10-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I figured it would be a lot more. My husband would telling me a while back that I should buy DP from Jim and become the new administrator. I told him that might not be a great idea.
I wouldn't mind doing it, though. The board would be a more fun place to post if Abbey and I were the admins. Because women tend to be more rational than men. After all, women only get crazy a few days per month. Men are crazy 24/7.
Everyone would have to re-apply for membership, after they signed their pledge of allegiance to Obama and agreed to register their guns.

Why not start one of your own? Same price, same starting point, same everything.....

...except no chance of ruining a good thing just in case you run your board into the ground.

SassyLady
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM

If you owned it, I would ask for a lifetime ban.

gabosaurus
10-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Why is that, Mrs. Kurts? At least you have something worthwhile to say once in a while.
But back to the original subject, 30 bucks is pretty cheap for monthly web rent. But I would rather let someone else worry with the details.

SassyLady
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Well, you would have already asked me to leave to raise the level of debate...... remember, you want to get rid of Tea Party members.

DragonStryk72
10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, you would have already asked me to leave to raise the level of debate...... remember, you want to get rid of Tea Party members.

Well, that puts me on the screwed list.

Noir
10-12-2010, 06:00 PM
You're not taking into account paying for the software, and updates for it (some big bucks there), nevermind the time aspect (probably not so bad here given the standard of Mods & general users) but diffinatly in terms of making sure the software is working as it should and making fixes to coding yourself to ensure it does.

chloe
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM

Is it for sale?

Abbey Marie
10-12-2010, 11:07 PM

http://www.faxcoversheets.org/samples/thanks_vote_of_confidence.png

actsnoblemartin
10-12-2010, 11:21 PM

sexist/misogynist crap

Agnapostate
10-13-2010, 12:05 AM
If it actually became more popular as a result of no longer being a rightist echo chamber, costs would certainly increase due to bandwidth rising.

hjmick
10-13-2010, 12:36 AM
No one makes you post and no one made you join. No one makes you continue to return. You are free to vacate the premises at anytime.

darin
10-13-2010, 03:45 AM
could probably be done for less than $30, too :)

jimnyc
10-13-2010, 05:27 AM

Webhosting is a huge and thriving business. You can get your site hosted anywhere from free to thousands per month - that would be a crappy shared server all the way to your own top of the line dedicated server with premium bandwidth. The $29.97 I pay is for a "semi-dedicated" server. It has the hardware we need for a small sized board, excellent support when I need it, and is limited to a small # of other sites on the server. It only takes one busy site to slow down the entire server, so the less you are sharing with the better.

You're not taking into account paying for the software, and updates for it (some big bucks there), nevermind the time aspect (probably not so bad here given the standard of Mods & general users) but diffinatly in terms of making sure the software is working as it should and making fixes to coding yourself to ensure it does.

Yep, the latest upgrade in the software for vB was quite expensive, around $175 I believe - then another $400 for the custom theme. The time included isn't that bad thanks to the awesome mods - backing up the site 2x per week and probably another hour or so upgrading and/or maintaining some of the software add-ons. Football season sucks as the picks in total cost me about 2hrs per week.

could probably be done for less than $30, too :)

Absolutely, many great hosting companies can offer similar from about $8-$20. But I had a relationship with this company for a long time now and I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I've been with "Jaguar" for 7 years now, and while there were plenty of hiccups, that always worked with me and ultimately found me a place that I am comfortable with. Honestly, I HATE moving as well as there is a lot involved and generally some downtime, so I called this place home and probably overpay a bit, but it's still home. :)

Little-Acorn
10-13-2010, 10:16 AM

BTW, you don't have to change any present forums to get this.

One already exists. You can find it at http://www.DemocraticUndergound.com .

I understand, though, that you need more than just a forum where contrary viewpoints are suppressed and/or banned. You actually need to seek out forums like DP where contrary viewpoints are allowed, and get rid of them.

NO contrary viewpoints are allowed in the leftist view. Anywhere. Ever.

PostmodernProphet
10-13-2010, 05:26 PM
you could start a site called DemocraticUnderwear.....I bet a lot of folks would post there by mistake.....