PDA

View Full Version : Dallas restaurant turns away WWII vets over dress code

gabosaurus
10-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Silly restaurants and their dress codes!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/101510dnmetbooted.285a300.html

Pagan
10-15-2010, 10:20 AM
The manager sent them some Scotch, an Apology and invitation back.

They didn't conform to the dress code, they didn't make a stink but the manager did reach out to them in, a lot of fuss about nothing.

There's a lot more shit to get your panties in a twist over than this.

Noir
10-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I must say I'm disappointed no one said 'the waitress was just following orders' in the report :laugh:

Trigg
10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Plenty of restaurants have dress codes. The hostess did nothing wrong.

Noir
10-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Plenty of restaurants have dress codes. The hostess did nothing wrong.

Yeah, the more I thought a out it the more I agree, just because they're ww2 vets. Doesn't mean they don't have to follow a dress code, and like baseball caps etc is somewhat acting the lig.

Kathianne
10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
The daughter was correct in that the hostess, well trained and polite, should have gone to the manager and explained the group.

In any case sounds to me that Wolfgang's did the right thing with the bottles of Scotch and the invite back. I'm sure they'd comp it.

Dress codes aren't wrong, imo, not at the nicer restaurants.

DragonStryk72
10-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah, the more I thought a out it the more I agree, just because they're ww2 vets. Doesn't mean they don't have to follow a dress code, and like baseball caps etc is somewhat acting the lig.

Actually, if anything, Veterans were military and are used to having a standardized mode of dress, so there's even less excuse

Abbey Marie
10-16-2010, 09:20 AM
If I'm not dressed appropriately for the restaurant, I don't try to go in. I love our veterans, esp. WWII, but I just don't see the problem here. It's their dress code- deal with it.

Our country would be a much better place if we all could just stop being personally offended by every little thing. How would we feel if it was a Muslim woman asking to dine wearing a Burqa?

Noir
10-16-2010, 10:55 AM
How would we feel if it was a Muslim woman asking to dine wearing a Burqa?

That's a different kettle of fish all together.

Abbey Marie
10-16-2010, 01:50 PM
That's a different kettle of fish all together.

To me, it is and it isn't. How do you mean?

Noir
10-16-2010, 02:57 PM
To me, it is and it isn't. How do you mean?

The WW2 vets are wearing what they want purly trough choice, I don't believe the women would be (being either forced by there culture, or forced by their own beliefs)
The women are also being intimidating to others, while that's not breaking the dress code in the same sense as the vets, it's still breaking it.

Trigg
10-16-2010, 04:29 PM
If I'm not dressed appropriately for the restaurant, I don't try to go in. I love our veterans, esp. WWII, but I just don't see the problem here. It's their dress code- deal with it.

Our country would be a much better place if we all could just stop being personally offended by every little thing. How would we feel if it was a Muslim woman asking to dine wearing a Burqa?

A woman wouldn't be able to eat wearing a Burqa anyway since it covers everything but their eyes and would have to be removed to eat.

Abbey Marie
10-16-2010, 06:18 PM
A woman wouldn't be able to eat wearing a Burqa anyway since it covers everything but their eyes and would have to be removed to eat.

i'm sure you know what I meant...

Silver
10-16-2010, 08:00 PM
So their vets...so am I ...that doesn't mean I get to make my own freakin' rules.....and they don't either....dress codes, parking rules, and light bills...all the same shit....the rules are for everyone, including vets.

Pagan
10-17-2010, 06:24 AM
So their vets...so am I ...that doesn't mean I get to make my own freakin' rules.....and they don't either....dress codes, parking rules, and light bills...all the same shit....the rules are for everyone, including vets.

http://humanities.byu.edu/ELC/student/idioms/idioms/images/hit_nail_on_head.jpg

Mr. P
10-17-2010, 09:42 AM
The group's tour guide, Betty Sweetman....Anybody catch that? I think not. Lets place the blame where blame is due, huh? It seems to me there were many things Ms Sweetman could have done ahead of time to avoid this situation..did she? It doesn't sound like it. A lazy tour guide. The Hostess was also to blame in that she used no judgment whatsoever..that seems to be the norm with most food service "employees" these days they're just BOTS. She's due a bit of training if she's working in a high end restaurant. As Jim Donohue, maitre d' of the French Room at the Adolphus hotel, said, most of his guests enjoy standards of dress being enforced at the door – jackets, no jeans. Even so, if a group of World War II (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/World_War_II) veterans walked in, he'd make an exception."We would make it happen," Donohue said. "I would not turn away these guys, press coverage or no press." That's the difference between a maitre d' and a Hostess folks.

I don't think these men of valor had any idea of the dress code for this place since they were just visiting the city. If they had and really wanted to visit there, I doubt they would have shown up dressed out of code.

Kathianne
10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Anybody catch that? I think not. Lets place the blame where blame is due, huh? It seems to me there were many things Ms Sweetman could have done ahead of time to avoid this situation..did she? It doesn't sound like it. A lazy tour guide. The Hostess was also to blame in that she used no judgment whatsoever..that seems to be the norm with most food service "employees" these days they're just BOTS. She's due a bit of training if she's working in a high end restaurant. As Jim Donohue, maitre d' of the French Room at the Adolphus hotel, said, most of his guests enjoy standards of dress being enforced at the door – jackets, no jeans. Even so, if a group of World War II (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/World_War_II) veterans walked in, he'd make an exception."We would make it happen," Donohue said. "I would not turn away these guys, press coverage or no press." That's the difference between a maitre d' and a Hostess folks.

I don't think these men of valor had any idea of the dress code for this place since they were just visiting the city. If they had and really wanted to visit there, I doubt they would have shown up dressed out of code.

I agree with both of your points. I also note that the gentlemen were in their late 80's and early 90's, certainly not the types by education and position to willy nilly break the norms. They left without causing a scene. The hostess should have gone to the manager, who could have even made a quiet announcement of what the gentlemen were celebrating and all would have understood.

Noir
10-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Anybody catch that? I think not. Lets place the blame where blame is due, huh? It seems to me there were many things Ms Sweetman could have done ahead of time to avoid this situation..did she? It doesn't sound like it. A lazy tour guide. The Hostess was also to blame in that she used no judgment whatsoever..that seems to be the norm with most food service "employees" these days they're just BOTS. She's due a bit of training if she's working in a high end restaurant. As Jim Donohue, maitre d' of the French Room at the Adolphus hotel, said, most of his guests enjoy standards of dress being enforced at the door – jackets, no jeans. Even so, if a group of World War II (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/World_War_II) veterans walked in, he'd make an exception."We would make it happen," Donohue said. "I would not turn away these guys, press coverage or no press." That's the difference between a maitre d' and a Hostess folks.

Indeed the tour guide should of said to the men.
But at any rate, a rule for one is a rule for all.

Mr. P
10-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Indeed the tour guide should of said to the men.
But at any rate, a rule for one is a rule for all.
I don't dispute the rule, Noir. The judgment sucked though. That's the issue for me. I have worked in high end restaurants and support dress codes, I also support good judgment. These men were only suppose to be there 45 minutes..the time it takes to revolve 360* to get a look at the city, I guess. BFD. I don't know of any restaurant that would have tossed em out.

SpidermanTUba
10-19-2010, 11:24 PM
What's the problem? If you wanna eat at a restaurant that requires a coat - wear a fucking coat, or eat somewhere else. These have to be the whinniest WW II vets I've ever heard of.

Abbey Marie
10-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Anybody catch that? I think not. Lets place the blame where blame is due, huh? It seems to me there were many things Ms Sweetman could have done ahead of time to avoid this situation..did she? It doesn't sound like it. A lazy tour guide. The Hostess was also to blame in that she used no judgment whatsoever..that seems to be the norm with most food service "employees" these days they're just BOTS. She's due a bit of training if she's working in a high end restaurant. As Jim Donohue, maitre d' of the French Room at the Adolphus hotel, said, most of his guests enjoy standards of dress being enforced at the door – jackets, no jeans. Even so, if a group of World War II (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/World_War_II) veterans walked in, he'd make an exception. "We would make it happen," Donohue said. "I would not turn away these guys, press coverage or no press." That's the difference between a maitre d' and a Hostess folks.

Another usual difference between a Maitre d' and a Hostess is gender. Hmm...

Mr. P
10-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Another usual difference between a Maitre d' and a Hostess is gender. Hmm...
No. A Hostess is always female a Host is always male but a Maitre d' is not always male. Nice try. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM
No. A Hostess is always female a Host is always male but a Maitre d' is not always male. Nice try. :laugh:

I have never seen a female maitre d'. If they exist, their numbers are inconsequential. Nice try you.

Hence my use of the word "usual" , btw.

Kathianne
10-21-2010, 05:48 AM
I have never seen a male maitre d'. If they exist, their numbers are inconsequential. Nice try you.

Oh dear, almost all the downtown restaurants have male maitre d'. I would assume the same in NY?

Noir
10-21-2010, 05:58 AM
I have never seen a male maitre d'. If they exist, their numbers are inconsequential. Nice try you.

...so if you've never seen a male maitre d' and obviously all hostess' are female, how is gender a "usual" difference? =/

Abbey Marie
10-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Oh dear, almost all the downtown restaurants have male maitre d'. I would assume the same in NY?

Typo- should have read "female maitre d'.

Kathianne
10-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Typo- should have read "female maitre d'.

Good to hear! I thought I was losing it or something was seriously wrong. :thumb: