PDA

View Full Version : U.S. military now accepting gay applicants

gabosaurus
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
If gays want to serve, they should be able to. I bet the drill instructors don't ask any of them to kiss their ass, though.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/sns-ap-us-gays-in-military,0,2576027,full.story

darin
10-19-2010, 05:23 PM
...and eventually they will be separated from service when checks and balances takes hold of one activist-judge. :) Won't you LOVE wasting all that money on training folks who join, then put them out later, costing more?

KarlMarx
10-20-2010, 07:40 AM
If gays want to serve, they should be able to. I bet the drill instructors don't ask any of them to kiss their ass, though.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/sns-ap-us-gays-in-military,0,2576027,full.story

I have a feeling that buzz cuts will be the "in" thing with hairdressers and camo clothes will be the "in" thing with fashion designers

CSM
10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
If Gabby has her way and the defense budget gets cut by 30%, there wont be enough money to pay for new recruits so it's a non issue.

Pagan
10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Very BAD mistake ........

Using the Military as a Social Project is a very BAD mistake.

KarlMarx
10-20-2010, 10:45 AM

I have a feeling that there will be an exodus of people from the military, probably a lot of senior level people that are close to retirement. That, combined with the Gabby's hoped for drawdown in defense

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4934646&c=AME&s=TOP

will have a very negative outcome for our country's military and our ability to defend ourselves

I ought to sign up for a class in Mandarin Chinese

Pagan
10-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a feeling that there will be an exodus of people from the military. That, combined with the drawdown in defense, will have a very negative outcome for our country..

I guess I ought to sign up for a class in Mandarin Chinese

You should, for they are the next Superpower.

http://pix.rejecttheherd.net/d/6165-2/superpower.jpg

SassyLady
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Obama requests emergency stay of 'don't ask, don't tell' order. Looks like this administration is always chasing its tail.

Washington (CNN) -- Finding itself in a strange legal position, the Obama administration filed an emergency request Wednesday with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to stop the military from allowing openly gay troops from serving.
In effect, the administration wants to continue barring gays from the military even though it ultimately favors repealing the policy known as "don't ask, don't tell."
"They are in a very bizarre position, frankly of their own making," said CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin.
In court documents filed in San Francisco, California, the administration argued that don't ask, don't tell should remain intact for now.
The administration argued that changing it abruptly "risks causing significant immediate harm to the military and its efforts to be prepared to implement an orderly repeal of the statute."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/20/dont.ask.dont.tell/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

KarlMarx
10-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Obama requests emergency stay of 'don't ask, don't tell' order. Looks like this administration is always chasing its tail.

I remember listening to the radio one day in 2008 and hearing Obama say DISTINCTLY that one of the first things he was going to do upon becoming president was to get rid of the "don't ask don't tell" policy.

Not that I disagree with the administration's current position but why the change?

SassyLady
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I remember listening to the radio one day in 2008 and hearing Obama say DISTINCTLY that one of the first things he was going to do upon becoming president was to get rid of the "don't ask don't tell" policy.

Not that I disagree with the administration's current position but why the change?

I guess to create a more orderly transition process to keep the morale of the current soldiers in balance? People don't change their stance on gays in the military overnight just because a judge tells them they are now required to.

gabosaurus
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
People don't change their stance on gays in the military overnight just because a judge tells them they are now required to.

Perhaps they should. You can't live your life filled with unjust anger and hate.

I have a feeling that there will be an exodus of people from the military, probably a lot of senior level people that are close to retirement.

This would be a good thing. Our military hierarchy needs leaders who are more progressive and forward thinking. You can't be stuck in the 60s and 70s and still continue to be effective. Many of the members of DP are proof of this.

SassyLady
10-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Perhaps they should. You can't live your life filled with unjust anger and hate.

Really, Gabby? You seem to be doing just fine living your life filled with unjust anger and hate for the Tea Party and members of this board. Are you telling me that if a judge comes out and tells you that it is no longer legal to hate Tea Party members you'll suddenly embrace all of them and sing "oh happy days"? Seriously?

This would be a good thing. Our military hierarchy needs leaders who are more progressive and forward thinking. You can't be stuck in the 60s and 70s and still continue to be effective. Many of the members of DP are proof of this.

What makes you think we are/were not effective? You aren't speaking German or Japanese are you?

Must be a slow day at school ... not used to seeing you here doing school hours.

Agnapostate
10-20-2010, 07:42 PM
What makes you think we are/were not effective? You aren't speaking German or Japanese are you?

"We"? You were a senior Soviet military official during WWII? Or perhaps you were Commandant of the Marine Corps?

darin
10-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Do you always change the subject when your comments are shown to be incomplete, or ineffective?

Agnapostate
10-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Do you always change the subject when your comments are shown to be incomplete, or ineffective?

Since I made no prior comment in this thread, this particular insinuation of yours is even more retarded than your comments usually are. ;)

SpidermanTUba
10-26-2010, 02:06 PM
The military has been accepted gay applicants since it was first created.

DragonStryk72
10-26-2010, 05:10 PM

What social project? There are already gays in the military, they're just lying about it, so really, what's the difference?

DragonStryk72
10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I guess to create a more orderly transition process to keep the morale of the current soldiers in balance? People don't change their stance on gays in the military overnight just because a judge tells them they are now required to.

Okay, seriously, everyone who is in the military these days knows that there are gays in the military, so I just don't get how this is such a huge issue for them.

Honestly, this is going to be cynical as hell, but Obama doesn't want to lose the poll numbers associated with pushing this through. Conversely, it would be the first point of leadership in his entire term as president, and come 2012, this crap is going to eat him alive.

Pagan
10-26-2010, 05:21 PM
What social project? There are already gays in the military, they're just lying about it, so really, what's the difference?

What's the difference you say?

MAKING A HUGE SOCIAL ISSUE OF IT

That's the difference

http://pix.rejecttheherd.net/d/8544-1/prespective.jpg

DragonStryk72
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
What's the difference you say?

MAKING A HUGE SOCIAL ISSUE OF IT

That's the difference

http://pix.rejecttheherd.net/d/8544-1/prespective.jpg

Yeah, and it'll pass just like it did when blacks were given full abilities within the military, and women as well. Stop underestimating our military. Their perspective is that there are already gays in the military, so how would that perspective be changed?

Pagan
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah, and it'll pass just like it did when blacks were given full abilities within the military, and women as well. Stop underestimating our military. Their perspective is that there are already gays in the military, so how would that perspective be changed?

Again PERSPECTIVE

As for "underestimating", spent 10 years active duty Marine Corps including a tour in a combat zone so I do believe I have a handle on "perspective" ya know.