PDA

View Full Version : "Raza" studies no longer legal in Arizona?

SassyLady
10-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Arizona has decided this PC stuff has to stop. I support the new law.

11 Tucson teachers sue Arizona over new 'anti-Hispanic' schools law

Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- Eleven Tucson, Arizona, educators sued the state board of education and superintendent this week for what the teachers consider an "anti-Hispanic" ban looming on Mexican-American studies.
The suit comes in a state already roiled by a controversial immigration law that is being challenged in court.
On Tuesday, state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne defended the new law, which will go into effect December 31. The law authorizes the superintendent to stop any ethnic studies classes that "promote the overthrow of the United States government ... promote resentment toward a race or class of people ... (or) advocate ethnic solidarity instead of treatment of pupils as individuals."
Horne said he would seek the first-ever ban in Tucson for its "raza studies" program, now called Mexican-American studies. Raza means "the race" in Spanish.

The law allows the state to withhold 10 percent of monthly aid -- which would amount to $3 million a month for Tucson Unified School District No. 1.
Horne has objected to the Tucson program partly because the district uses the textbook "Occupied America: A History of Chicanos" by Rodolfo F. Acuna, a professor of Chicanao Studies at California State University at Northridge, according to the lawsuit filed Monday. Students learn how the American Southwest once belonged to Mexico, but Horne objects to the use of the word "occupied."
"In the lawsuit, they claimed that this legislation constituted discrimination," Horne said. "It's exactly backwards. The idea behind the legislation is that students need to treat each other as individuals ... and not what race they were born into."

more:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/19/arizona.ethnic.studies.lawsuit/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Agnapostate
10-20-2010, 01:17 AM
It was a ban based on white populist sentiments, and on inaccurate misconceptions, and rightist legislators' insistence that students be indoctrinated with their preferred Eurocentric, pro-colonialist interpretation of history, rather than be exposed to a diversity of views.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=10622055

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people.

Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

That is incoherent, and directly counter-intuitive because of the fact that Latin culture is derived from Europe. "Latinos" are persons born in romance language speaking American countries, regardless of racial or ethnic background. To the extent that there even is a doctrine of a Latin American "race," it is a mixed-blooded race formed through combination of the races of the world, European, Amerindian, and African.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 07:06 AM
When establishing public schools in the US, the reasons given were multiple, the one they all had in common was to educate the electorate in citizenship.

Overthrowing the US government is not one of the goals, it is for La Raza. I agree with Superintendent of AZ.

Noir
10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
What exactly does sudying La Raza entail? I mean, over 4 years I spent allot of school time studying Nazism, Facism, Totalitarianism and Irish Republicanism.

Studying Criticaly is essential in these areas, and we where encouraged to read pro Nazi, communist and Irish Republican propaganda. As they say, to defeat an enemy, understand them.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
What exactly does sudying La Raza entail? I mean, over 4 years I spent allot of school time studying Nazism, Facism, Totalitarianism and Irish Republicanism.

Studying Criticaly is essential in these areas, and we where encouraged to read pro Nazi, communist and Irish Republican propaganda. As they say, to defeat an enemy, understand them.

knock yourself out, look around:

http://www.nclr.org/

Agnapostate
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, skurty, I see you're up to your usual habit of simply ignoring posts that you can't refute. :lol:

When establishing public schools in the US, the reasons given were multiple, the one they all had in common was to educate the electorate in citizenship.

Overthrowing the US government is not one of the goals, it is for La Raza. I agree with Superintendent of AZ.

I've been made to understand that "La Raza" refers to the National Council of La Raza. Where is the stated goal of the NCLR in overthrow of the U.S. government? Is it on their website? Is it in their literature? Can you post a specific citation? Or is "La Raza" an ethnic group? Is it not then contemptible to refer to an ethnic group as an organized fifth column threatening to undermine national security, the sort of rhetoric that led to Japanese-American internment?

What exactly does sudying La Raza entail?

The "ethnic studies" ban includes prohibitions on African-American, Native American, and Mexican-American studies. AFAIK, there is no course entitled "La Raza" that involves promotion of overthrow of any government in its curriculum. These courses mainly involve studies of the historical, anthropological, and sociological backgrounds of the ethnic minorities in question. For example, this (http://www.elac.edu/academic/doc/CourseDescriptions/ChicanoStudies%20-%20CourseDescriptions.pdf) is a description of Chicano Studies courses at East Los Angeles College, though secondary-level coursework would probably only involve the rudiments. That they would be depicted as organized fifth column conspiracy theories is a white supremacist fiction.

Pagan
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Well, skurty, I see you're up to your usual habit of simply ignoring posts that you can't refute. :lol:

I've been made to understand that "La Raza" refers to the National Council of La Raza. Where is the stated goal of the NCLR in overthrow of the U.S. government? Is it on their website? Is it in their literature? Can you post a specific citation? Or is "La Raza" an ethnic group? Is it not then contemptible to refer to an ethnic group as an organized fifth column threatening to undermine national security, the sort of rhetoric that led to Japanese-American internment?

The "ethnic studies" ban includes prohibitions on African-American, Native American, and Mexican-American studies. AFAIK, there is no course entitled "La Raza" that involves promotion of overthrow of any government in its curriculum. These courses mainly involve studies of the historical, anthropological, and sociological backgrounds of the ethnic minorities in question. For example, this (http://www.elac.edu/academic/doc/CourseDescriptions/ChicanoStudies%20-%20CourseDescriptions.pdf) is a description of Chicano Studies courses at East Los Angeles College, though secondary-level coursework would probably only involve the rudiments. That they would be depicted as organized fifth column conspiracy theories is a white supremacist fiction.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/17/parrot.jpg

Agnapostate
10-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Well, well, if it ain't Chief Shitting Bull, one-drop wagon burner until he has a nosebleed! What's up, thin blood?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SassyLady
10-21-2010, 01:40 AM

To defeat an enemy, understand them is a good motto. So, you think it's OK to teach American school childen to hate America? To teach our children that America is the enemy? Not understanding your stance on this.

Agnapostate
10-22-2010, 12:18 AM
To defeat an enemy, understand them is a good motto. So, you think it's OK to teach American school childen to hate America? To teach our children that America is the enemy? Not understanding your stance on this.

Your post reads like a justification from the Ministry of Propaganda in a dictatorial country, where rigid adherence to praise of the "fatherland" is demanded and even neutral summaries of governmental actions that reflect badly on the government because they, well, are bad, must be avoided at all costs.

It's not even relevant, since the charges in this particular case are incoherent ("Latinos" are "racist" :laugh:), even if you suffer from a condition where your eyes gloss over content that is inconvenient for your worldview. The fact that "Latinos" are not a race shatters it from the beginning. And it's not a difficult concept to understand, either. Even Trigg knows that Latinos are not a race, if you want to know how low the bar is set.

Pagan
10-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Your post reads like a justification from the Ministry of Propaganda in a dictatorial country, where rigid adherence to praise of the "fatherland" is demanded and even neutral summaries of governmental actions that reflect badly on the government because they, well, are bad, must be avoided at all costs.

It's not even relevant, since the charges in this particular case are incoherent ("Latinos" are "racist" :laugh:), even if you suffer from a condition where your eyes gloss over content that is inconvenient for your worldview. The fact that "Latinos" are not a race shatters it from the beginning. And it's not a difficult concept to understand, either. Even Trigg knows that Latinos are not a race, if you want to know how low the bar is set.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r309/marcus0263/funnies/kittens.jpg?t=1287728215

Kathianne
10-22-2010, 04:30 AM

Agna, it was the Latinos that found La Raza that gave it that moniker, not the Americans. Get over yourself.

Whether we are addressing Latinos, Native Americans; I know, same thing, more would be accomplished with education than without. Instead you wallow for them in a morass of indignities over time. Waste of time and intelligence.

Noir
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM

No, don't teach them to hate America, teach them that Raza hate America. Why they hate it, what they want changed, how they want to change it etc.