PDA

View Full Version : Britain can never again fight alone

namvet
10-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Britain will never be able to fight another war alone after drastic defence cuts were announced by David Cameron yesterday.

The Armed Forces will lose 17,000 soldiers, sailors and airmen - 10 per cent of their number - and the Navy will have its least ships since the age of Henry VIII.

The Prime Minister insisted he was not engaged in cost cutting but admitted the UK will become highly dependent on allies.

dependent meaning us of course. wonder if they'll put the hardware for sale on ebay???

story (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322046/DEFENCE-REVIEW-17-000-frontline-personnel-drastic-cuts.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/20/article-1322046-0BADC87D000005DC-232_634x387.jpg
On the scrapheap: The Ark Royal moored in Portsmouth yesterday

wonder how much they want for her?? we can always use another Marine transport.

NightTrain
10-20-2010, 10:29 AM
UK is scheduled to have a total of 195 Challenger 2 tanks by 2020? 19 Destroyers & Frigates? A total of 40 modern Fighters?

WTF happened to Britain?

Pagan
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
UK is scheduled to have a total of 195 Challenger 2 tanks by 2020? 19 Destroyers & Frigates? A total of 40 modern Fighters?

WTF happened to Britain?

With the U.S. as the World Police why should they?

I've said a number of times, it's well beyond the point where we should close most of our bases and pull military personnel overseas and let country's we compete with economically pay for their own defense.

Little-Acorn
10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Kruschev once shouted, "We will bury you!" or whatever the Russian equivalent was.

He's gone, as is his former government. But the economic philosophy they ran on, goes on, and is fulfilling his prophecy.

Noir
10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
What happened? We had an Idiot in charge of our economic policy for 10 years, selling gold when prices where low, wasting billions on PFIs, and so forth.

In any end, we don't need military hardware, the age of the set battle has passed, wars are economic and terrorist orientated.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
With the U.S. as the World Police why should they?

I've said a number of times, it's well beyond the point where we should close most of our bases and pull military personnel overseas and let country's we compete with economically pay for their own defense.

I agree and have said the same regarding Europe and Japan for a long time. Neither the EU nor Japan need us to fight their battles. US should keep a presence in oceans, Eastern Europe, and Middle East, I know you disagree, but that is my opinion.

namvet
10-20-2010, 12:40 PM
we can no longer afford to be the worlds cop. Osama has seen to that. let em fight it out amoung themselves. they spit in our face anyway. screw em.

Pagan
10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I agree and have said the same regarding Europe and Japan for a long time. Neither the EU nor Japan need us to fight their battles. US should keep a presence in oceans, Eastern Europe, and Middle East, I know you disagree, but that is my opinion.

I do? :confused:

We do need to maintain strategic assets, but those are a fraction of what we have overseas. Maintaining healthy Naval forces are common sense. Someone fucks with you all you do is park a Aircraft Carrier Battle group with a MEF off the shore and just watch some piss ant dictator shit their pants.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I do? :confused:

We do need to maintain strategic assets, but those are a fraction of what we have overseas. Maintaining healthy Naval forces are common sense. Someone fucks with you all you do is park a Aircraft Carrier Battle group with a MEF off the shore and just watch some piss ant dictator shit their pants.

That hasn't been working so well lately. You haven't noticed? Muslim Brotherhood has declared war on US.

Pagan
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
That hasn't been working so well lately. You haven't noticed? Muslim Brotherhood has declared war on US.

Ah we're not on that model, could be why I suggested it ya think? :confused:

Also if you bothered to take a simple look into history these radical groups have been around since the dawn of mankind, nothing new.

Kathianne
10-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Ah we're not on that model, could be why I suggested it ya think? :confused:

Also if you bothered to take a simple look into history these radical groups have been around since the dawn of mankind, nothing new.

Meaning what? Today?

Pagan
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Meaning what? Today?

Aaah yeah, why else do you think I suggested it then? :confused:

Kathianne
10-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Aaah yeah, why else do you think I suggested it then? :confused:

I have to disagree. Radical groups have been around forever, that I'll agree with. However, with the advent of air travel, they are able to export much more easily, haven't you noticed that in the past 60 years or so?

They have the means both from afar and here. http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/10/the_muslim_brotherhood_islams.html

Your thinking melds with Clinton's back in the 90's, seems 9/11 pretty much stamped paid to that model.

Pagan
10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
I have to disagree. Radical groups have been around forever, that I'll agree with. However, with the advent of air travel, they are able to export much more easily, haven't you noticed that in the past 60 years or so?

They have the means both from afar and here. http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/10/the_muslim_brotherhood_islams.html

Your thinking melds with Clinton's back in the 90's, seems 9/11 pretty much stamped paid to that model.

Aaaaah we didn't have that model then either back then, we had the model we have now :rolleyes:

trobinett
12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
we can no longer afford to be the worlds cop. Osama has seen to that. let em fight it out amoung themselves. they spit in our face anyway. screw em.

I agree to a point.

We need to CHARGE for our military help, just like volunteer Fire Dept's do.

Thunderknuckles
12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
What happened? We had an Idiot in charge of our economic policy for 10 years, selling gold when prices where low, wasting billions on PFIs, and so forth.

In any end, we don't need military hardware, the age of the set battle has passed, wars are economic and terrorist orientated.
I don't know Noir. It seems to be a dangerous assumption to me to assume conventional warfare has gone the way of the dinosaur. I hope you're right but if not, Britain could be easy pickings for a future leader who gets it in his head to unite Europe under one banner. It wouldn't be the first, second, third,..... time it has happened.

At the very least, I am sure the Argentinians are probably thinking now is a good time to take a second shot at the Falklands